Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    My wife just started her first 5 day fast today. She did a 3 day prep of raw veggies. I have never seen her with so much energy...I am in trouble.

My breakfast: carrots, celery, arugula, cucumber, 3 cloves of garlic, snap peas, raspberries, and one whole orange (with skin). delightful! Wish I could ride today...Stevens Creek run tomorrow.
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Been thinking about doing this and his thread got me started, went and picked up a vitamix and a bunch of greens and fruits etc and gotta say I thought it would taste bad or blah but not at all.
    So does anyone make a bigger batch and put it in the fridge for later?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    adding to daytripper's question about mass quantity... how much juice do you all have per serving? (say you're doing the fast)

mtbr member
    I use a Nalgene bottle and go 1:10 juice to water, plus some green powder and alkaline drops. On the fast, I drink about 6 of these a day. When I'm eating, it's about 3. I'll make enough for a day during one juicing session, but never more than that. It goes bad pretty fast, even in the fridge. Also, I read an article about how it oxidizes very quickly and loses its maximum potency within 30 minutes. I don't know how practical it is to juice 3 - 6x a day though...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

Crazed Country Rebel
    I think we need more info on enema's - an important component of this diet!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markj2k4 View Post
    adding to daytripper's question about mass quantity... how much juice do you all have per serving? (say you're doing the fast)
    Not sure it matters as you'll only want to drink so much.
    Day 6 for me, I'm 5 lbs lighter and still haven't grown a vag, kissed a goat or bought a hybrid

My "plan" differed from SquashYos in that I used a vitamix in lieu of a juicer cuz we have one and I didn't want to spend $200-$1,000 on a juicer I would only occasionally use. There's a lot more sludge to deal with using the vitamix, but many argue that's valuable fiber/vitamins.

I did my 3 daily El Sereno training rides(1,500 ft/7mi) in a row, the first two were about average, the 3rd was really tough. I'm debating whether to go on a longer ride Today or go to the gym and cross train.

I'm not experiencing the whole boundless energy deal, but I'm not suffering from lack of it either. Maybe if i stuck a hose up my butt, that would improve, but ill prolly pass on that phase of my development. I am more clear headed, but not spiritual awakenings to speak of, except of course when I see a bunny or deer and want to rip its head off an eat it raw, just sayin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    Not sure it matters as you'll only want to drink so much.
    Day 6 for me, I'm 5 lbs lighter and still haven't grown a vag, kissed a goat or bought a hybrid

My "plan" differed from SquashYos in that I used a vitamix in lieu of a juicer cuz we have one and I didn't want to spend $200-$1,000 on a juicer I would only occasionally use. There's a lot more sludge to deal with using the vitamix, but many argue that's valuable fiber/vitamins.
    :
    NICE. I'll have to look out for you on El Sereno one of these days as I ride there about once a week...if you squint your eyes real tight, you can turn it into single track.

So, I applaud your program (while standing) but our diets are more different than you state above. Because you are ingesting fiber with every meal, you are using energy needed to digest and breakdown nutrients and work out the fiber from the system. While this is close to mine, it's not technically a food "fast" but a great diet none the less (I think - I guess a "real" fast would just be water). With a fiber free fast (mostly pulp free), you are eating what accounts to a completely digested meal and your system has zero work to deal with thus a faster weight loss process, the clear headed/increased energy feeling, and more of a detox (your vital organs have nothing to do but remove toxins and heal up).

I stole this quote, "When you consume only green smoothies, you are "feasting" rather than fasting, as you are still consuming whole foods and all the fiber they contain, thus your digestion never rests as it does in a true liquid fast. Still phenomenally beneficial, green smoothie feasts are a great way to transition into and out of a fast."

I am in no way trying to downplay your program but I highly encourage you or others to try the fiber free fast as a detox/weight loss program someday. This program you are on is an amazing health booster/weight loser but I think we are talking two different animals. Also, I use my juicer everyday now that I feel the benefits of the mass packed nutrient drink I make every morning...and I plan to do two extended juice fasts a year. I went from speculating to buying a very high end juicer once I got into it. You can probably find a used juicer cheap on Craig's List.

On a positive side note for you, there is no need for an enema with your diet plan because you already have the fiber doing the work required. To go further, there is no need for one on my plan too...but it does make you feel a heck of a lot better during the fast...and you remove those crayons you swallowed when you were a kid.

Keep it up and sorry if I came off as pretentious here.

mtbr member
    We are almost at the end of our 2. day of detoxing and so far I have mixed feelings.
    Some of the food is tasty and is going to be used in the future but we both feel pretty sluggish and feel a liitle bit weird in general and light headed.
    But that might be the bodies getting rid of stuff and I do not think I ever ate that much parsley in such a short period of time.

@squashyo, that is very good info about the fiber.

aka dan51
    I got a juicer from my brother last week, and he only gave me one instruction "Don't ever bring it back."
    After doing the first juice, I can see why. It's a huge timesuck for very little useable juice.
    If you're thinking about doing this for a few days, I say see if you can buy some juice at the grocery store, you'll save a ton of time and money. If you decide after a few days you want to do it for longer, then consider buying a juicer.

On a side note, I feel bad throwing out the pulp, so I've been experimenting with it.
    Last night I made a loaf of wheat bread with walnuts, and threw in a cup of carrot/celery/kale pulp. That came out pretty good.
    I just got done with another experiment, where I turned the celery/carrot/kale pulp into veggie patties. I added some canned corn, black beans, diced red onion, spices, and some flour to bind it together. Fried it in a pan for about 10 mins, and it was friggin delicious. Some tweaking and tuning and I won't be buying veggie patties anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I got a juicer from my brother last week, and he only gave me one instruction "Don't ever bring it back."
    After doing the first juice, I can see why. It's a huge timesuck for very little useable juice.
    If you're thinking about doing this for a few days, I say see if you can buy some juice at the grocery store, you'll save a ton of time and money. If you decide after a few days you want to do it for longer, then consider buying a juicer.

On a side note, I feel bad throwing out the pulp, so I've been experimenting with it.
    Last night I made a loaf of wheat bread with walnuts, and threw in a cup of carrot/celery/kale pulp. That came out pretty good.
    I just got done with another experiment, where I turned the celery/carrot/kale pulp into veggie patties. I added some canned corn, black beans, diced red onion, spices, and some flour to bind it together. Fried it in a pan for about 10 mins, and it was friggin delicious. Some tweaking and tuning and I won't be buying veggie patties anymore.
    Very cool ideas

mtbr member

I also dig your veggie patty idea alot!

As for store bought veggie juice...shelf life kills the nutrients so entirely different ball game. I guess you could try the store bought to see if you like the taste. From a nutritional standpoint, fresh made compared to store bought will be dramatically different.

As for me, 15-20 minutes to make a juice and clean up. A wee bit of a time suck but manageable in my book. Congrats on the new juicer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I have one. Raw Chard. Loaded with nutrients but makes a lot of people sick when eaten raw. I got a scratchy throat every time I was using and my bro-in-law threw up when he tried juicing it. I'd stay away from chard. Also, bananas don't juice.
    One other you should have cautioned... broccoli... not the best to start off with yakkk. Did broccoli this morning because I was in a "hey, what other veggies are in the fridge" kind of mood. Boy the taste of broccoli tainted up the batch of juice pretty good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    We have a basic juicer for citrus (cut in half, place on 'juicer', it rotates) that we rarely use. We don't have a more advanced juicer. And I don't use this one for smoothies.

We have a commercial Vitamix. Everything that goes in the smoothie enters the vitamix. It does it's thing for a bit and I have something green, fibrous, and vaguely drinkable (depending on ingredients).

When dealing with carrots, kale, spinach, and the like, something like a Vitamix seems pretty useful.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Day Three and I feel good. 6 lbs lost so far.
    That includes 1-2 beers/ or glasses a wine and a healthy dinner...Sushi.

Day three drink:
    Lots o Purple Kale
    Beet
    Carrot
    Celery
    Half Apple
    Spinach
    Banana
    Handful Grapes
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Puro Vida!
    I started this today too-but with some mods. I'm doing the 5 day thing. I really need to change my eating habits. I don't think I can go full vegetarian, but I'm thinking about doing as much vegetables, fruit etc during the day and a sensible meal at night. Hoping this year I'll be able to get out and ride more too. 2012 wasn't a great year for bike rides for me, most of the people I was riding with have surpassed me.
    We made plans for a vegetable garden and hopefully a place to keep chickens at our house, so that will be nice to be able to produce some of our own food. Thanks again to everyone for all the info on here-

Puro Vida!
    By the way that green drink on day one-oh my-gonna be work taking it down. My fiancé made it last night and let me taste it-I was drinking a beer at the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    so I have a question, beside doing the juice fast, do you eat fruits and carrots throughout the day? specially if you do more that 5 to 7 days?.

cesar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvega View Post
    so I have a question, beside doing the juice fast, do you eat fruits and carrots throughout the day? specially if you do more that 5 to 7 days?.

cesar
    I am probably going to drive people crazy but Juice Fast and what you are talking about are two completely different animals. If you do the 'juice fast', which I am a proponent of, you eat NO fiber at all. You give your vitals a complete rest...if you do juice with fiber (any kind of chewing) you are simply dieting. Sounds hard but after 2-3 days of a true juice fast, you do not miss eating at all and you will have insane amounts of energy and you will lose 10lbs off the bat with 1lb a day...and you can ride, work out, etc. Best of all, you purge the system of years of crappy toxins.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    I am probably going to drive people crazy but Juice Fast and what you are talking about are two completely different animals. If you do the 'juice fast', which I am a proponent of, you eat NO fiber at all. You give your vitals a complete rest...if you do juice with fiber (any kind of chewing) you are simply dieting. Sounds hard but after 2-3 days of a true juice fast, you do not miss eating at all and you will have insane amounts of energy and you will lose 10lbs off the bat with 1lb a day...and you can ride, work out, etc. Best of all, you purge the system of years of crappy toxins.
    Yes sorry to semi-jack the thread. I am in no way doing this, not because I don't think its good, but I don't wanna

Also y main concern is weight loss. The weight gain came from a relaxed diet ( still no fast food, soda, Twinkies) and no riding ( two baby girls) Getting back to my old diet and normal riding routine my weight drops quick. this is just a jump start.

Back to the juice thread.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Try dandelion, collard, and cabbage, beets and their tops. Your toilet will forgive you later.

Been juicing for over 35 years. Never spent a day in the hospital. Get a cold maybe once every few years. I cycle 3-4 times a week and can keep up with guys half my age. I do drink beer and wine. What else would I drink have with my carne asada burrito?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    Yes sorry to semi-jack the thread. I am in no way doing this, not because I don't think its good, but I don't wanna

Also y main concern is weight loss. The weight gain came from a relaxed diet ( still no fast food, soda, Twinkies) and no riding ( two baby girls) Getting back to my old diet and normal riding routine my weight drops quick. this is just a jump start.

Back to the juice thread.
    No, no, no, please! I do not mind at all talking about options and alternatives to a bike friendly/healthy eating program. What I am seeing though is a confusion between a 'fast' and a 'diet'...just hope people understand the difference. I hope everyone will try a 'juice fast' someday as it's a cool experience that is not nearly as hard as it seems...and, did I mention, you can still ride a bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    No, no, no, please! I do not mind at all talking about options and alternatives to a bike friendly/healthy eating program. What I am seeing though is a confusion between a 'fast' and a 'diet'...just hope people understand the difference. I hope everyone will try a 'juice fast' someday as it's a cool experience that is not nearly as hard as it seems...and, did I mention, you can still ride a bike?
    One thing I think that scares people off is you think you're going to be starving... in reality you really won't be. I have been only a couple days and my lady constantly is asking if I am hungry. No, no I am not... do I want a giant cheeseburger? Yes, sounds delish, but I am not at all hungry.

Any more tasty recipes to share??
    -M

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markj2k4 View Post
    One thing I think that scares people off is you think you're going to be starving... in reality you really won't be. I have been only a couple days and my lady constantly is asking if I am hungry. No, no I am not... do I want a giant cheeseburger? Yes, sounds delish, but I am not at all hungry.

Any more tasty recipes to share??
    -M
    Celery
    Kale
    Carrot
    Apple
    Orange
    Ginger

This is what I've been doing and it's pretty good. The ginger adds a nice little zing to it and it doesn't take much.

mtbr member
    No confusion here, just a different choice, to me emptying your digestive system of fiber in at best giving you a temporary benefit, as it was designed to use fiber. So maybe you lose a few pounds that you immediately gain back. The amount of energy saved from digestion is maybe 5% of what you use, and if you body uses 5% more, then you'll burn more fat.

The good news is, you've encouraged many to try something different with positive effects which is commendable. But personally, I can live with a couple pounds of fiber and $300 more bucks in my pocket--more $$$$ for hookers and blow-they are allowed right?? Just sayin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    No confusion here, just a different choice, to me emptying your digestive system of fiber in at best giving you a temporary benefit, as it was designed to use fiber. So maybe you lose a few pounds that you immediately gain back. The amount of energy saved from digestion is maybe 5% of what you use, and if you body uses 5% more, then you'll burn more fat.

The good news is, you've encouraged many to try something different with positive effects which is commendable. But personally, I can live with a couple pounds of fiber and $300 more bucks in my pocket--more $$$$ for hookers and blow-they are allowed right?? Just sayin
    Again, a misconception and I mean no disrespect. The fast is meant to detox with a side benefit of weight loss. You will not have a more efficient detox if you are using your organs to process food internally...just not the same. Not sure how many different ways I can say this at this point.

Additionally, I lost 20 lbs over a month ago with 10 days of fasting and I have kept it off fairly effortlessly (I gained back 5lbs but that's just food in my system). Additionally, I don't think your percentages are accurate...at all...did you make those up or are they sourced? I am not advocating people to not diet or that mine is better. Heck, diet all day long, that's great, wonderful in fact, but the fast and a diet are two totally different topics...I encourage you to do a little research and try it. Or not, I don't care...I just think it's a great detoxification program that's not the same as digesting fiber. Now, I have to do a line off this hookers back if you don't mind.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast