Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    There is always gonna be naysayers (especially those funded by deep pocketed interest groups on the other side - not saying this guy was but ya never know).

I can only speak for personal experience which seems to be reiterated by others in this thread. Moving towards this diet just works. Can't argue with my highly reduced blood pressure, my 15 lbs weight loss some 30 days after the diet ended, general feeling of energy throughout the day, and this odd six pack under my, much smaller version of, man boobs.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

MTB Trail Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    There is always gonna be naysayers (especially those funded by deep pocketed interest groups on the other side - not saying this guy was but ya never know).

I can only speak for personal experience which seems to be reiterated by others in this thread. Moving towards this diet just works. Can't argue with my highly reduced blood pressure, my 15 lbs weight loss some 30 days after the diet ended, general feeling of energy throughout the day, and this odd six pack under my, much smaller version of, man boobs.
    My favorite juice fasts consist of celery, cucmbers, strawberries, carrots, romaine lettuce, and just about any other veggies/fruits I can juice. I did my first juice fast in late 2009 and lost 25 lbs in 30 days. Now I am a big guy to begin with, I needed to be as work made me that way. Then I changed jobs (chasing money instead of dreams) and now I am training to re-enter my previous career...I did sporadic juice fasts all of 2010, and felt fantastic. In 2011 I gained 10 lbs, and couldn't really juice fast due to work and other stuff. In 2012, I started again mid year and have lost that 10 lbs and am going for an all time loss of 25 more....that will keep me right at perfect.

I am currently on a month long fast which started on 1-1-13 with the first 3 days slowly weening (salads and light fiber) towards a complete juice fast which will last till months-end.

I have had naysayers saying I need to eat complex carbs and stop juice fasting in order to maintain my health and ride. This one bozo would send me bullcrap photos and articles from unknown sources and tell me that this was the proof. That it is all snakeoil...smoke and mirrors...TBH, I think the guy fried his brain out smoking to much sensi...

The truth is, you have to do what feels right for you. If someone does not like the way you want to live, especially if it is healthy...ask them to start paying your bills and you'll then consider living according to them. Otherwise screw them.

I hope that more mountain bikers consider implementing this into their fitness goals!

Soapbox...over!
    PHX, AZ MTBDOC MTB Customs and Repairs

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    There are plenty of other critiques out there. This one just happens to be very well documented despite the author's motivations.
    Yah, there's a ton of miracle diets out there. It seems all have some validity - but most of them also espouse questionable science. And many of them really push their agenda like so many religious fanatics.

I'm sort of over it. There's a lot of good things in veggies, fruits, naturals meats, dairy and staying away from processed crap.

if you really wanna keep it simple - just dont eat anything that has any ingredients list on it. Buy whole foods, eat whole foods.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Yah, there's a ton of miracle diets out there. It seems all have some validity - but most of them also espouse questionable science. And many of them really push their agenda like so many religious fanatics.

I'm sort of over it. There's a lot of good things in veggies, fruits, naturals meats, dairy and staying away from processed crap.

if you really wanna keep it simple - just dont eat anything that has any ingredients list on it. Buy whole foods, eat whole foods.
    Wow. Iheart and I agree on something.

So I'm on about day five of juicing in the morning. I'm not going on a fast or anything but just starting the day off with juice (some combo of celery, carrot, kale, beet, apple and orange) and maybe a piece of toast with peanut butter. So far, I like the results. Maybe it's a placebo but the energy boost feels real. I didn't intend to stop drinking coffee but I haven't needed/wanted it. I don't really feel like I want or need to "diet" as I'm 6'2"-180 but the increased energy and sharpness has been really nice. We'll see where it goes.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Wow. Iheart and I agree on something.

So I'm on about day five of juicing in the morning. I'm not going on a fast or anything but just starting the day off with juice (some combo of celery, carrot, kale, beet, apple and orange) and maybe a piece of toast with peanut butter. So far, I like the results. Maybe it's a placebo but the energy boost feels real. I didn't intend to stop drinking coffee but I haven't needed/wanted it. I don't really feel like I want or need to "diet" as I'm 6'2"-180 but the increased energy and sharpness has been really nice. We'll see where it goes.
    My chiropractor got me started doing smoothies. More as a meal replacement, than anything - but I do add vegitable based protein (meat doesnt do well in blenders, and i try to limit soy intake) and add some antioxidants and omega 3's. I also limit the sugar - and just mix with water.

But I dont consider this a diet - just something I can make quickly that is healthier than an egg mcmuffin.

Quick Healthy Smoothie Recipe with Dr. Bruce Presnick - YouTube

Specialized sucks dong

orthonormal
    My chiropractor got me started doing smoothies. More as a meal replacement, than anything - but I do add vegitable based protein (meat doesnt do well in blenders, and i try to limit soy intake) and add some antioxidants and omega 3's. I also limit the sugar - and just mix with water.

But I dont consider this a diet - just something I can make quickly that is healthier than an egg mcmuffin.

Quick Healthy Smoothie Recipe with Dr. Bruce Presnick - YouTube
    I do a morning smoothie too. Pineapple, blueberries, a scoop of whey protein, a scoop of Green Vibrance (powdered greens + pre- and probiotics + some other stuff), a tablespoon of ground flax seeds, and almond milk. I change around the fruit for variety but always come back to pineapple and those little frozen wild blueberries from Trader Joe's.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    too much to read ...BUT I GET MY VITAMIX TOMORROW !!!!!!
    Watch out Biaaaches
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Tell us how beer in the Vitamix changes the flavor...

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    Tell us how beer in the Vitamix changes the flavor...
    Funny you should mention that. Earlier this evening I made some blender sludge (using my Cuisinart SmartPower Duet™ since we don’t have a proper juicer yet) for my family and I. Well, to get the scrapins’ out of the glass, I douched it out with some Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout that I was drinking along side the sludgy treat. Tasted sorta strange, but nonetheless, no plant fiber was wasted.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Anyone use wakame or hijiki in their mixture? Stuff is higher in vitamins in minerals gram per gram than any land-based vegetable or fruit.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Anyone use wakame or hijiki in their mixture? Stuff is higher in vitamins in minerals gram per gram than any land-based vegetable or fruit.
    I'm pretty sure a healthy mix of ginger, lemon, and hot peppers will mask any weird flavors the wakame/hijiki might bring.

If concerned still, add beer. (This crowd continues to scare me ... )

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    I'm pretty sure a healthy mix of ginger, lemon, and hot peppers will mask any weird flavors the wakame/hijiki might bring.

If concerned still, add beer. (This crowd continues to scare me ... )
    I’ve made beer milkshakes before (heavy coffee stout or porter + vanilla ice cream = ). Pretty tasty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I’ve made beer milkshakes before (heavy coffee stout or porter + vanilla ice cream = ). Pretty tasty.
    This is a diet thread for ****s sake...have some compassion.

PRETENDURO
    Sorry, I keep on forgetting that I have a metabolism rate of a 14 year old boy.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    but this also the Norcal forum...take it easy
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    This mornings smoothy - pea protein, organic plain yogurt, banana's, baby food.

Well the baby food was just pureed mango's. But it still counts!

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    touche!

mtbr member
    This weekend we will do the Hungry for change three day detox program.
    I tried the three stage detox from Dr. Schulze once but I bailed during the first stage
    because I basiclly moved into the bathroom, I hope this one will be a little less moving.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    This weekend we will do the Hungry for change three day detox program.
    I tried the three stage detox from Dr. Schulze once but I bailed during the first stage
    because I basiclly moved into the bathroom, I hope this one will be a little less moving.
    Very cool! The only thing I don't understand about a three day fast is that that is the hardest part...after three days, it is quite easy to keep going...for weeks actually. The three day will certainly help purge the system but don't shut the door on a longer fast...maybe down the road. Good luck with the 3 day and let us know how it goes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    so you kids have a bunch of helpful recipe do-s do you have any recipe don't-s? last thing i think one would want is green vomit. ew.

mtbr member
    I have one. Raw Chard. Loaded with nutrients but makes a lot of people sick when eaten raw. I got a scratchy throat every time I was using and my bro-in-law threw up when he tried juicing it. I'd stay away from chard. Also, bananas don't juice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    shake of the day (made in the Vitamix instead of the juicer) - chocolate whey protein, full fat coconut milk, almond butter, dates....delicious and tons of Calories

Snowjnky McDreamy
    OK finally started the juice/beer diet.

got my late Xmas present, Vitamix.

Time to experiment.
    First try:
    Kale
    Beet
    Spinach
    Carrot
    Celery
    Apple

Not bad but I can do better; filling though.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Lunch:
    two leafs of kale, handful of spinach, handful of grapes, half cucumber, quarter apple and some lime juice. Way better
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast