Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    My kids are now super fired up to eat veggies and fruit...wow!
    That is VERY cool!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Two pieces of advice I received a long time ago regarding nutrition:

1. If your great grandmother wouldn't have recognized it, skip it. Take yogurt. Yes, she would have recognized basic yogurt. But chemical concoctions like "GoGurt" she would not. Juices yes. Monster "Energy drinks" nope. This pretty much eliminates almost all processed foods.
    2. Stick to the border of the supermarket. What's on the walls? Fruits, vegetables, fish, chicken, dairy etc.. In the middle... "fish sticks", "chicken tenders", fruit "smoothies"..

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Try this

Get a bundle of kale - $2
    A bunch of bananas - $2
    High quality orange juice

6-8 oz. of OJ
    4-5 de-stalked kale
    1 banana
    Did that yesterday and it was approved by the misses,
    our kale is still going strong even it dipped onto the low 20's more than once.
    It is very fulfilling for me to be able to go out in the garden and just pick stuff.

I am trying to stay simple and also use the blender,
    this worked also for us.

1 apple or pear, cut into large pieces
    2 stalks of celery, cut into large pieces
    2 handfuls of spinach or other dark leafy greens
    1/2 banana
    add 1 or more cups of water to blend very smoothly.

credits to Mimi Kirk's Live Raw book.

I also watched Hungry for change again yesterday and it was a good reminder about a lot of things.

One thing I need to keep myself reminding of is that food companies do not necessarily have your best interests in mind.

metrotuned WoS
    @Dion. The simple statement of wasn't meant to attack you - not sure why you'd interpret that way. "A piece of advice if you are wondering what whole foods or real foods are. Real food does not have nutritional labels. And also, don't listen to anyone's fitness / nutritional tips who has less fitness / nutrition than you."

Just remember, nutrition isn't a fad or trend that can be purchased, it's a lifestyle. Good luck and we'll see you at the summit.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

aka dan51
    Just watched Hungry for change. I found it pretty disappointing.
    While I agree with everything they were saying, they had no facts or studies or proof to backup any claims or statements. It seemed to be a bunch of "experts" all agreeing with each other. I thought forks over knives was better in that they site specific studies, or were even the people conducting the studies.
    I eventually turned off hungry for change before finishing it. It felt more like a 90 minute infomercial, even incorporating a "here's Jane, unhealthy, no makeup, hair a mess, with a sad color filter on the camera", followed by "here's Jane after juicing one day. She wakes up to a new life, beautiful hair, perfect makeup, and a happy color filter on the camera".
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

middle ring single track

"Colonics" not "Enemas"

Sheesh don't mess up years of marketing strategy! (maybe more on this later)

but...

Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    While I agree with everything they were saying, they had no facts or studies or proof to backup any claims or statements. It seemed to be a bunch of "experts" all agreeing with each other. I thought forks over knives was better in that they site specific studies, or were even the people conducting the studies.
    I eventually turned off hungry for change before finishing it. It felt more like a 90 minute infomercial, even incorporating a "here's Jane, unhealthy, no makeup, hair a mess, with a sad color filter on the camera", followed by "here's Jane after juicing one day. She wakes up to a new life, beautiful hair, perfect makeup, and a happy color filter on the camera".
    ...I felt the same way; couldn't get all the way through it---"infomercial" indeed. I was able to watch the whole 1-1/2 hours of "The Skinny on Obesity" with Dr. Lustig ( Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube! ) previously linked here and found it time well spent. But even this "scientific" presentation is slightly biased IMHO in that researchers need to sell their research to keep that funding coming. No matter, as Lustig says; "politics".

My commentary on "juicing" comes more from anecdote than personal experience; I have (do) enjoyed "juices" but have never bothered with a juice fast. Didn't need to; while I was still a young lad I had several relatives (and a couple of neighbors) very much involved in the "movement". (yes pun intended) Observing their triumphs and tribulations was enough for me to adopt the "anything in moderation" philosophy. (Nothing moderate about an enem...errr colonic)

Not for sale (The newer versions of these suckers are going for well over $2K):

I'm sentimentally attached (actually have 2 of these units) and have promised relatives that they be "kept in the family". Well worn from a half century of use; this Norwalk is still going strong (yes I have used it).

Inherited from my uncles; these units dispel the myth that "if you juice; you'll live forever". I think for a little while, they actually believed this mantra. Which at the time wasn't too extreme as there were (are) some "quacks" claiming that if you were totally "clean" you could live on air/sunlight alone ("Breatharians")

Lest I waste the rest of the day ranting I'll leave with the comment that this topic is great in that it promotes nutritional awareness...

...be careful what you put up your butt...

...Happy New Year
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    Inspired by this thread and started my 90 day weight loss plan. Hopefully this works.
    Breakfast today:
    2 kale stalks
    1 kiwi
    1 green apple
    1 bananna
    8oz OJ

Down the hatch we go

Elitest thrill junkie
    Um, that seems like a LOT of sugar.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I would not call Hungry for change a informercial since they are not really plugging their products like they do in informercials.

I would see that movie more like a easy to digest entree for people who want to change their lifestyle
    and do not need full depth information.

Besides, who wants to live forever anyway?
    Not me, I just want to cut down on the adult diaper years.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    ...be careful what you put up your butt...
    Wiser words were never spoken.

In prep for a juice fast, I have been experimenting with juicing during the day and eating a sensible meal at night (all vegetarian until a couple turkey meatballs on NewYears Eve). Now I find that since I started (Dec. 27th) I have lost nearly 6lbs. I can still exercise and feel strong doing it. In fact today was 25+ miles with over 4k of climbing...felt better than ever coming up the final 2 mile climb (Stagecoach)...and all I had for breakfast was a high sugar citrus blend juice and then lemon water in two bottles for the ride.

This has me rethinking my intended detox and just continuing with what I have been doing (a slower detox). Ultimately my goal is to loose weight and get healthier...I think I am.

Here was my post ride drink:
    2 leafs kale
    2 tomatoes
    3 carrots
    1 handful spinach
    1 beet (stalks, leafs and all)
    1 apple
    It was pretty darn good.

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  89.8 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I got a Nutribullet for Xmas. Been eating lots of greens and feeling great because of it.

That afternoon nap that I always feel necessary is no longer there and my winter riding has been very strong.

My wife thinks I'm hilarious because I now just discovered "the vegetable" but I have been telling everyone about it.

Good to hear I'm not the only one going on a health kick

mtbr member
    Sounds interesting. It is interesting that after 3 days the hunger cravings subsided some for the OP. I think that there is a withdrawal effect the more you eat and what you eat. I have found that eating big meals, made my hunger increased after the food digested and I got just caveman hunger for the next meal.

MTB Trail Advocate
    This thread got me all excited. I am and have been a giant fan of juicing vegetables and fruits for some time..
    PHX, AZ MTBDOC MTB Customs and Repairs

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So do you guys peel your root vegetables like beets, ginger, and carrots or just throw the whole thing in there?

mtbr member
    I don't but I read that the skin of the beet can be bitter. I have tried peeling this skin but didn't notice any changes. I am told that you should peel Cucumbers if they feel waxy (organic usually does not have this).
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I would peel them almost all if they are not organic but I try to eat less and switch to fully organic or home grown for juicing and blending and than I do not peel.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbzarg View Post
    Thanks Dion! I'm going to give this one a shot. I've already been focusing on cutting back on eating fast food and processed foods. Also upping the intake of fruits and vegetables, so this should help me out.
    If the kale is too bitter, you can offset it with lemon.

Butcher
    Quote Originally Posted by The Novice View Post
    I got a Nutribullet for Xmas. Been eating lots of greens and feeling great because of it.

That afternoon nap that I always feel necessary is no longer there and my winter riding has been very strong.

My wife thinks I'm hilarious because I now just discovered "the vegetable" but I have been telling everyone about it.

Good to hear I'm not the only one going on a health kick
    +1 on the nutribullet. I'm loving it.

So much easier than a juicer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just read that the sweet potato is packed with a lot of goodies so it will make it into the juicer soon.

mtbr member

Day 3

Just to clarify: I LOVE red meat, don't drive a hybrid and love the smell of race gas and double IPAs

I'm on day 3, hopefully I'll see the "break through" shortly. This am, I went for my first ride (El Sereno semi-daily trainer) whilst on the program. I was super sensitive of my energy level after 2 day fast-was about average, though my stomach felt better while riding.

Other observations:
    Non-stop pee sessions
    Black Tar Turds
    The average veggy juice looks like goat diarrhea, but actually tastes a tad better
    The first few days I was unusually *****y-least I have an excuse

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Every year my goal was to not gain weight during the holidays. But I always did gain a couple. Then I'd work really hard to get rid of them in Jan-March. This year after watching forks over knives and hungry for change we decided to adopt the veggie life style. I've followed palieo and mostly non gluten for over 2 yrs. We purchased a Vitamix 5200 from Costco for $350. But after you use it a few times it justified the high price. I also downloaded a free app call Myfitnesspal to monitor daily calories. Sounds extreme, but it's very simple to use. Not only does it add up you calories minus your exercise, it gives a summary of your fats/carbs/protein for the day. With the new veggie diet I wanted to see how much protein I was getting. I was surprised to find protein in a lot of different things, including veggies. Quinoa is my new protein staple. In the month of December where I typically gain a couple of lbs, I shed 8 lbs from juicing. I did the Dr Oz 3 day detox Dr. Oz's 3-Day Detox Cleanse One-Sheet | The Dr. Oz Show This will give you everything you need, including the grocery list. I lost 5 lbs just during this process. The second day at dinner time was tough, but the third day was much better. I felt tons of focus and energy. I could have kept going. I'm digging the shakes and so far don't see any down side except for being associated with the hippy connotation. Happy blending.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    Just to clarify: I LOVE red meat, don't drive a hybrid and love the smell of race gas and double IPAs

I'm on day 3, hopefully I'll see the "break through" shortly. This am, I went for my first ride (El Sereno semi-daily trainer) whilst on the program. I was super sensitive of my energy level after 2 day fast-was about average, though my stomach felt better while riding.

Other observations:
    Non-stop pee sessions
    Black Tar Turds
    The average veggy juice looks like goat diarrhea, but actually tastes a tad better
    The first few days I was unusually *****y-least I have an excuse
    This is awesome you red neck! So, you should start feeling oddly clear headed soon and moments of trippy energy bursts.

One note you may want to consider is that if your juice is diarrhea consistency, you may want to consider running your juice through a filter bag. You want to avoid pulp to a point because you have no fiber scrubbing the walls (notice the film on your teeth yet?). If too pulpy, you may have to work harder to pull nutrients and water into the system thus the 'unusually shitty' feeling. Sorry to say this again but the enema will make you feel much better if you are feeling crappy (ha) in the head. Clears that pulp lining the walls and your body doesn't lack in absorption processes. Keep it up!!! How many days are you shooting for?
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    Forks Over Knives presents itself as scientific but there's a lot of cherry picking of data going on there in pursuit of an agenda.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/for...-and-critique/
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Forks Over Knives presents itself as scientific but there's a lot of cherry picking of data going on there in pursuit of an agenda.

“Forks Over Knives”: Is the Science Legit? (A Review and Critique) « Raw Food SOS
    Not sure if I going to bother after reading this in his intro.

In case you aren’t yet convinced that I’ve made it my life’s mission to critique everything related to T. Colin Campbell, this should seal the deal.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    Not sure if I going to bother after reading this in his intro.
    There are plenty of other critiques out there. This one just happens to be very well documented despite the author's motivations.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast