Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    One of my concerns with 'Juicing' was shrinking testicles...oops, wrong type of juicing. What I meant was, my main concern was maintaining energy& strength during rides. The last few days I have been juicing during the day (3 juices, lots of water) and a sensible dinner (grandma's veggie soup and mushroom/spinach ravioli). Took the SS out on the 3rd morning, and after a breakfast juice I packed a bottle of pear/apple juice and a bottle of water w/squeezed lemon...to make a long story short, I don't think I felt any different from any other ride, but am still curious how I will feel with full-time juicing (I am confident I will feel fine). This ride was only ~18 miles w/just over 2k of climbing. The big test will be a 30+ mile ride with 5k+ of climbing.
    My goal, lose 20lbs with juicing and overall diet/lifestyle change. I will post updates on the blog (hey, at least my mother reads it) but will come back here to update periodically.
    Many good recipes out there, but my favorite thus far: 1/2 pineapple, 1 orange, 3 mandarins, 1 lemon, 1 lime, ~3/4 thumb of ginger. De-licious!
    Food is medicine. Think about how badass bright red tomatoes, green kale, organic rice, black beans, plantains, avocados, organic carrots, tofu, or big, juicy apples are. Grilled veggies in a wheat tortilla with hot sauce, or a veggie sandwich with bright green sprouts, coconut water and some homemade chips. Garlic, onion and basil potatoes fried in coconut oil.

This is pretty much how I eat.

I like juicing, but, like I said, I don't think it's sustainable for long periods.

mtbr member
    While eating better is wonderful and we have established that there are many ways to improve health, the point of this thread was to introduce a detoxification method known as veggie juice fasting. I think everyone should try it and it's not very hard at all. It is quite an experience and an adventure to boot...it also opens doorways to a much healthier lifestyle as I have found. I hope some will give it a go and report back to see if you got the same kick ass results that I did. For me, I have been off the fast for about a month...blood pressure still normal and weight loss has been maintained at mid 170s where I like to be. I no longer crave crappy food and reach for the fountain of youth foods I used to avoid. I plan to do my next fast in July...but in the meantime, psyched to start eating much better using many of the tools introduced in the delightful thread.
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Please...keep us posted! My concern with this last juice is that it is a great deal of sugar. If you go full juice fast, I would stick with LOTS of carrots, celery, beets, and greens...use fruit sparingly to add slight flavor enhancements. I think you will find yourself sugar crashing with an all fruit juicet and you will find an amazing amount of benefits from all the veggie nutrients.
    Yeah, the only sugar drinks in our house are store bought organic juices, or the juice I make for my detox...certainly better than soda etc. (my wife would not allow it).
    I am going to allow myself one yummy fruit drink a day during my detox, and the one listed will likely be my favorite. Might even freeze some for dessert pops (might lose something in enzymes/nutrients, but still yummy!). My 'meal' drinks will be mostly veggy concoctions, like these:

Morning 'Green' Glory
    1 cucumber
    3 kale leaves
    1 handful spinach
    3 celery stalks
    1 apple (I used a Fuji)
    1 mini lime (or 1/2 regular lime)
    1 mandarin
    Pretty darn good...my first ever concoction

Veggie Experiment:
    2 kale leafs
    handful spinach
    2 celery stalks
    3-4 carrots
    3 tomatoes
    1 lime
    When mixed, it turns an earthy brown. Taste is earthy, but I like the kick the lime adds.

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  64.0 KB

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  88.7 KB

As far as the pulp, the juicer handbook comes with a nice recipe for making vegetable soup with the juice and pulp...also I plan on using some of the vegetable pulp in muffins and casseroles. I have read of people saving the fruit pulp to use in deserts. Fruit-Pulp-Pie anyone? Mm mmm!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Okay, I'm in

Just got an Omega J2006 at Blood Bath and Beyond for $207 + tax. ($259.99 - 20% coupon.) Macy's online has it on sale for $208 until New Year's Day.

Gonna do this Gonna get healthy. Gonna get back on the bike. Thanks to Squashyo for the thread!
    Last edited by older and slower; 12-30-2012 at 04:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Excited to check out that movie!

So, I just learned some crazy facts about Romaine Lettuce...the protien part tripped me out:

1 – Protein. Believe it or not, romaine lettuce is 17% protein with 7.7 grams per head. It is also a complete protein! That means that it has all 8 essential amino acids, 9% RDA of some and up to 26% RDA of others.

2 – Calcium. One head of romaine has 206mg of calcium (about 21% RDA). Blend it with calcium rich fruits like papaya and oranges and you’ll get more calcium than a glass of milk!

3 – Omega-3s. One head of romaine lettuce contains 44% RDA of Omega-3 essential fats. Forget the tainted fish oils, reach for some leafy greens instead!

4 – More Vitamin C Than An Orange. One head of romaine contains 167% RDA of vitamin C while an average sized orange contains only 92%.

5 – Iron. One head of romaine contains 6mg of iron, which ads a significant source of iron to the diets of vegetarians and vegans.

6 – Romaine Lettuce is Rich in B-vitamins: Thiamine (B1) – 38% RDA, Riboflavin (B2) – 32% RDA, Niacin (B3) – 12% RDA, Pantothenic Acid (B5) – 18%, Pyridoxine (B6) – 36 %, Folate (B9) – 213%!

7 – Water. One head of romaine provides 16% of your daily water needs with about 20 ounces of water per head!

8 – Rich Source of vitamin A (as beta-carotene) and K. As with most leafy greens, romaine is super rich in beta-carotene with 1817% RDA per head and has 535% RDA of vitamin K.

9 – Low Levels of Oxalic Acid. If you have problems with calcium oxalate kidney stones, romaine lettuce might be a good choice for leafy greens since it is very low in this anti-nutrient.

10 – Mineral-Rich. Don’t let the lighter color of romaine lettuce fool you. This not-so-dark leafy green is rich in minerals. One head contains copper (33% RDA), magnesium (22% RDA), manganese (42% RDA), phosphorus (27% RDA), potassium (33%), selenium (5% RDA) and zinc (13% RDA).
    I'm glad to hear it and Thank You for all the great info above! I am interested in what your opinion is after viewing "Hungry for Change". I had to watch it twice, because of all the good information.

My latest improvement to my diet is purple carrots. They are 25-30 times higher in anthocyanins than the orange carrot, which are the antioxidants found in blueberries and raspberries. Also putting cilantro and parsley in salads and juices for their detoxifying effects.

Isn't getting healthy fun!
    Last edited by guitarjohn21; 12-30-2012 at 04:14 PM.

aka dan51
    The only thing missing from this thread is FC offering to host a juice/shake taste test party, with continual showings of Forks Over Knives, Food Matters, etc...
    Bring yer blenders, juicers, fruits and veggies and we can swap recipes and see who's tastes the best.
    That might be enough to get Dion out of the house and to a MTBR party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

PRETENDURO
    Do any of you hardcore motherfuckers throw the citrus peels (from oranges, lemons, limes, etc.) into your juices as well? Plenty of nutrition to be had in them, from what I have read.

Meanwhile, my wife bought one of those “Magic Bullet” (“As seen on TV!” ) chingaderos last month, we are about to fire it up today for shits and giggles, but have metric craploads of key limes from a friend’s backyard… hoping to use the peels too just to be extra crazy.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    That might be enough to get Dion out of the house and to a MTBR party.
    No doubt!!! Dude needs to UNPLUG and get some freakin’ R and R!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Do any of you hardcore mother****ers throw the citrus peels (from oranges, lemons, limes, etc.) into your juices as well? Plenty of nutrition to be had in them, from what I have read..
    I peel the mandarins and oranges because it is easy to do. I am lazy so the lemons and limes go in, peel and all. I guess another option would just be to squeeze the juice into your cup and stir, but again, I am lazy and I love watching my juicer beat the pulp out of those things (pun intended).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

tasty skinz

Do any of you hardcore mother****ers throw the citrus peels (from oranges, lemons, limes, etc.) into your juices as well? Plenty of nutrition to be had in them, from what I have read.
    Not hard core enough yet, though I am doing a morning smoothie regularly.

I definitely use the citrus peels, making sure I wash the skin thoroughly. I've done so with lemons, limes, and tangerines.

My usual morning smoothie is:

A base of:
    A couple of celery stalks (supposed to burn more calories digesting than it actually has)
    A couple of leaves of Kale
    Ginger (probably a 1/2" by 1" section)
    1/2 a lemon or lime

I then add, depending on mood/whats around:
    A spoon full of vanilla yogurt
    Pineapple
    Apple
    Carrot
    Berries
    A spoon full of nut butter (almond, usually) if I want a bit more fat/protein
    A hot pepper (ginger + pepper + lemon/lime are a great combo)
    A few leaves of spinach

-j

PRETENDURO
    10 seconds my ass!!!

OK, so this “Magic Bullet—As Seen on TV!!!” piece of crap my wife bought is a total farce. They should rename it to Tragic Bullshit, seriously. We’re returning this piece of crap A.S.A.P. I had forewarned my wife about false bullcrap claims that seem too good to be true before, but she ignored me. Yes, we were screwing around with that hunk of garbage for about 20 minutes before I broke out our trustly ’ol Cuisinart SmartPower Duet, which made not-so-quick business out of the load of veggies and fruit we stuffed into it, but it took less than 5 minutes to make a nice sludgy drink.

Buyer beware: don’t buy this piece of crap “Magic Bullet”. I think we’re going to get one of those $200 jobbies they use at $tarbu¢ks and Jamba Juice. My dad has one of those and swears by it (and he ain’t no chump!!!).

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    omega 4000 juicer

first $60 if you're from mtbr and you're planning to juice more in the new year
    cheers!

metrotuned WoS
    A piece of advice if you are wondering what whole foods or real foods are. Real food does not have nutritional labels. And also, don't listen to anyone's fitness / nutritional tips who has less fitness / nutrition than you.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    And also, don't listen to anyone's fitness / nutritional tips who has less fitness / nutrition than you.
    I guess every coach and nutritionalist in the world is faster, stronger, better, and more fit than the athletes they are training?

This thread is great. Keep it going. It's made a lot of folks re-think food, which is very positive. Squashyo, myself, or anybody who has positive experiences with these nutrient dense concoctions and sharing these recipes and experiences are doing many a great favor - and having "less" fitness or nutrition has nothing to do with that. It has to do with sharing a great experience and getting results, and opening peoples minds to different diets.

I used to get extremely sick every year, with ridiculous temperatures and I'd be out for a week or more. This was at least 3X a year. Since drinking these kale shakes, supplementation and a dietary change, I have not been sick since day one. Is it out of line to share that with a stronger rider than myself?

Anyway...

This lady has it right.

Veggie Juice Fast:  Bike friendly diet that works-enhanced-buzz-25476-1352993892-9.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I guess every coach and nutritionalist in the world is faster, stronger, better, and more fit than the athletes they are training?

This thread is great. Keep it going. It's made a lot of folks re-think food, which is very positive. Squashyo, myself, or anybody who has positive experiences with these nutrient dense concoctions and sharing these recipes and experiences are doing many a great favor - and having "less" fitness or nutrition has nothing to do with that. It has to do with sharing a great experience and getting results, and opening peoples minds to different diets.

I used to get extremely sick every year, with ridiculous temperatures and I'd be out for a week or more. This was at least 3X a year. Since drinking these kale shakes, supplementation and a dietary change, I have not been sick since day one. Is it out of line to share that with a stronger rider than myself?

Anyway...

This lady has it right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enhanced-buzz-25476-1352993892-9.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	288.5 KB 
ID:	749390

Awesome...my new morning smoothie will be a 3 lb block of cheddar with a handful of cheezits for fiber. Thank you for the inspiration...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8xscape View Post
    Awesome...my new morning smoothie will be a 3 lb block of cheddar with a handful of cheezits for fiber. Thank you for the inspiration...
    You will have to juice it for maximum effect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8xscape View Post
    I was with you till the cheezits, that is just wrong, wheats would be okay but no you have to go overboard with it.

PRETENDURO
    Dion, you never cease to amaze us with your ability to find the most offensive, disgusting pictures on teh intarwebs. “Yup, jus gon have mysef uh block uh chedduh fo launch tdaye, Skeeter!”

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Dion, you never cease to amaze us with your ability to find the most offensive, disgusting pictures on teh intarwebs. “Yup, jus gon have mysef uh block uh chedduh fo launch tdaye, Skeeter!”
    Do St. Joe's with us tomorrow, homie.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Do St. Joe's with us tomorrow, homie.
    Would love to, but I will be riding the Los Alamitos singletrack with my wife and boys, hopefully we’ll end up all the way out to the Fortini side of STCP. My boys need a good 16-mile round trip.

Vegan Athlete
    You guys are funny.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn View Post
    You guys are funny.
    Just wait until you do a group ride with us (Team Social Pace). Dion, Ancient Rascal, Nelson34, just to name a few, will have you rolling in stitches with laughter. Freakin’ serial jokesters.

mtbr member
    Just watched Hungry for Change last night with family. AWESOME documentary. My kids are now super fired up to eat veggies and fruit...wow!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    juice of the day....kale, spinach, celery, beets, oranges, apples, ginger. Pretty tasty!

mtbr member
    I got:
    Carrots, celery, snap peas, apple, beet+stems/leaves, purple cabbage, zucchini, purple kale and UDOs Oil...damn good!!!!

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast