• 01-05-2013
    Daytripper63
    Been thinking about doing this and his thread got me started, went and picked up a vitamix and a bunch of greens and fruits etc and gotta say I thought it would taste bad or blah but not at all.
    So does anyone make a bigger batch and put it in the fridge for later?
  • 01-05-2013
    markj2k4
    adding to daytripper's question about mass quantity... how much juice do you all have per serving? (say you're doing the fast)
  • 01-05-2013
    kragu
    I use a Nalgene bottle and go 1:10 juice to water, plus some green powder and alkaline drops. On the fast, I drink about 6 of these a day. When I'm eating, it's about 3. I'll make enough for a day during one juicing session, but never more than that. It goes bad pretty fast, even in the fridge. Also, I read an article about how it oxidizes very quickly and loses its maximum potency within 30 minutes. I don't know how practical it is to juice 3 - 6x a day though...
  • 01-05-2013
    iheartbicycles
    I think we need more info on enema's - an important component of this diet!:thumbsup:
  • 01-06-2013
    Trackho
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markj2k4 View Post
    adding to daytripper's question about mass quantity... how much juice do you all have per serving? (say you're doing the fast)

Not sure it matters as you'll only want to drink so much.
    Day 6 for me, I'm 5 lbs lighter and still haven't grown a vag, kissed a goat or bought a hybrid :p

My "plan" differed from SquashYos in that I used a vitamix in lieu of a juicer cuz we have one and I didn't want to spend $200-$1,000 on a juicer I would only occasionally use. There's a lot more sludge to deal with using the vitamix, but many argue that's valuable fiber/vitamins.

I did my 3 daily El Sereno training rides(1,500 ft/7mi) in a row, the first two were about average, the 3rd was really tough. I'm debating whether to go on a longer ride Today or go to the gym and cross train.

I'm not experiencing the whole boundless energy deal, but I'm not suffering from lack of it either. Maybe if i stuck a hose up my butt, that would improve, but ill prolly pass on that phase of my development. I am more clear headed, but not spiritual awakenings to speak of, except of course when I see a bunny or deer and want to rip its head off an eat it raw, just sayin:eek:
  • 01-06-2013
    squashyo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    Not sure it matters as you'll only want to drink so much.
    Day 6 for me, I'm 5 lbs lighter and still haven't grown a vag, kissed a goat or bought a hybrid :p

My "plan" differed from SquashYos in that I used a vitamix in lieu of a juicer cuz we have one and I didn't want to spend $200-$1,000 on a juicer I would only occasionally use. There's a lot more sludge to deal with using the vitamix, but many argue that's valuable fiber/vitamins.
    :

NICE. I'll have to look out for you on El Sereno one of these days as I ride there about once a week...if you squint your eyes real tight, you can turn it into single track.

So, I applaud your program (while standing) but our diets are more different than you state above. Because you are ingesting fiber with every meal, you are using energy needed to digest and breakdown nutrients and work out the fiber from the system. While this is close to mine, it's not technically a food "fast" but a great diet none the less (I think - I guess a "real" fast would just be water). With a fiber free fast (mostly pulp free), you are eating what accounts to a completely digested meal and your system has zero work to deal with thus a faster weight loss process, the clear headed/increased energy feeling, and more of a detox (your vital organs have nothing to do but remove toxins and heal up).

I stole this quote, "When you consume only green smoothies, you are "feasting" rather than fasting, as you are still consuming whole foods and all the fiber they contain, thus your digestion never rests as it does in a true liquid fast. Still phenomenally beneficial, green smoothie feasts are a great way to transition into and out of a fast."

I am in no way trying to downplay your program but I highly encourage you or others to try the fiber free fast as a detox/weight loss program someday. This program you are on is an amazing health booster/weight loser but I think we are talking two different animals. Also, I use my juicer everyday now that I feel the benefits of the mass packed nutrient drink I make every morning...and I plan to do two extended juice fasts a year. I went from speculating to buying a very high end juicer once I got into it. You can probably find a used juicer cheap on Craig's List.

On a positive side note for you, there is no need for an enema with your diet plan because you already have the fiber doing the work required. To go further, there is no need for one on my plan too...but it does make you feel a heck of a lot better during the fast...and you remove those crayons you swallowed when you were a kid.

Keep it up and sorry if I came off as pretentious here.
  • 01-06-2013
    acer66
    We are almost at the end of our 2. day of detoxing and so far I have mixed feelings.
    Some of the food is tasty and is going to be used in the future but we both feel pretty sluggish and feel a liitle bit weird in general and light headed.
    But that might be the bodies getting rid of stuff and I do not think I ever ate that much parsley in such a short period of time.

@squashyo, that is very good info about the fiber.
  • 01-06-2013
    d-bug
    I got a juicer from my brother last week, and he only gave me one instruction "Don't ever bring it back."
    After doing the first juice, I can see why. It's a huge timesuck for very little useable juice.
    If you're thinking about doing this for a few days, I say see if you can buy some juice at the grocery store, you'll save a ton of time and money. If you decide after a few days you want to do it for longer, then consider buying a juicer.

On a side note, I feel bad throwing out the pulp, so I've been experimenting with it.
    Last night I made a loaf of wheat bread with walnuts, and threw in a cup of carrot/celery/kale pulp. That came out pretty good.
    I just got done with another experiment, where I turned the celery/carrot/kale pulp into veggie patties. I added some canned corn, black beans, diced red onion, spices, and some flour to bind it together. Fried it in a pan for about 10 mins, and it was friggin delicious. Some tweaking and tuning and I won't be buying veggie patties anymore.
  • 01-06-2013
    acer66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I got a juicer from my brother last week, and he only gave me one instruction "Don't ever bring it back."
    After doing the first juice, I can see why. It's a huge timesuck for very little useable juice.
    If you're thinking about doing this for a few days, I say see if you can buy some juice at the grocery store, you'll save a ton of time and money. If you decide after a few days you want to do it for longer, then consider buying a juicer.

On a side note, I feel bad throwing out the pulp, so I've been experimenting with it.
    Last night I made a loaf of wheat bread with walnuts, and threw in a cup of carrot/celery/kale pulp. That came out pretty good.
    I just got done with another experiment, where I turned the celery/carrot/kale pulp into veggie patties. I added some canned corn, black beans, diced red onion, spices, and some flour to bind it together. Fried it in a pan for about 10 mins, and it was friggin delicious. Some tweaking and tuning and I won't be buying veggie patties anymore.

Very cool ideas :thumbsup:
  • 01-06-2013
    squashyo
    Quote:

I also dig your veggie patty idea alot!

As for store bought veggie juice...shelf life kills the nutrients so entirely different ball game. I guess you could try the store bought to see if you like the taste. From a nutritional standpoint, fresh made compared to store bought will be dramatically different.

As for me, 15-20 minutes to make a juice and clean up. A wee bit of a time suck but manageable in my book. Congrats on the new juicer.
  • 01-06-2013
    markj2k4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I have one. Raw Chard. Loaded with nutrients but makes a lot of people sick when eaten raw. I got a scratchy throat every time I was using and my bro-in-law threw up when he tried juicing it. I'd stay away from chard. Also, bananas don't juice.

One other you should have cautioned... broccoli... not the best to start off with yakkk. Did broccoli this morning because I was in a "hey, what other veggies are in the fridge" kind of mood. Boy the taste of broccoli tainted up the batch of juice pretty good.
  • 01-06-2013
    grumblingcrustacean
    Quote:

We have a basic juicer for citrus (cut in half, place on 'juicer', it rotates) that we rarely use. We don't have a more advanced juicer. And I don't use this one for smoothies.

We have a commercial Vitamix. Everything that goes in the smoothie enters the vitamix. It does it's thing for a bit and I have something green, fibrous, and vaguely drinkable (depending on ingredients).

When dealing with carrots, kale, spinach, and the like, something like a Vitamix seems pretty useful.
  • 01-07-2013
    snowjnky
    Day Three and I feel good. 6 lbs lost so far.
    That includes 1-2 beers/ or glasses a wine and a healthy dinner...Sushi.

Day three drink:
    Lots o Purple Kale
    Beet
    Carrot
    Celery
    Half Apple
    Spinach
    Banana
    Handful Grapes
  • 01-07-2013
    Nelson34
    I started this today too-but with some mods. I'm doing the 5 day thing. I really need to change my eating habits. I don't think I can go full vegetarian, but I'm thinking about doing as much vegetables, fruit etc during the day and a sensible meal at night. Hoping this year I'll be able to get out and ride more too. 2012 wasn't a great year for bike rides for me, most of the people I was riding with have surpassed me.
    We made plans for a vegetable garden and hopefully a place to keep chickens at our house, so that will be nice to be able to produce some of our own food. Thanks again to everyone for all the info on here-
  • 01-07-2013
    Nelson34
    By the way that green drink on day one-oh my-gonna be work taking it down. My fiancÚ made it last night and let me taste it-I was drinking a beer at the time.
  • 01-07-2013
    cvega
    so I have a question, beside doing the juice fast, do you eat fruits and carrots throughout the day? specially if you do more that 5 to 7 days?.

cesar:p
  • 01-07-2013
    squashyo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cvega View Post
    so I have a question, beside doing the juice fast, do you eat fruits and carrots throughout the day? specially if you do more that 5 to 7 days?.

cesar:p

I am probably going to drive people crazy but Juice Fast and what you are talking about are two completely different animals. If you do the 'juice fast', which I am a proponent of, you eat NO fiber at all. You give your vitals a complete rest...if you do juice with fiber (any kind of chewing) you are simply dieting. Sounds hard but after 2-3 days of a true juice fast, you do not miss eating at all and you will have insane amounts of energy and you will lose 10lbs off the bat with 1lb a day...and you can ride, work out, etc. Best of all, you purge the system of years of crappy toxins.
  • 01-07-2013
    snowjnky
    Quote:

I am probably going to drive people crazy but Juice Fast and what you are talking about are two completely different animals. If you do the 'juice fast', which I am a proponent of, you eat NO fiber at all. You give your vitals a complete rest...if you do juice with fiber (any kind of chewing) you are simply dieting. Sounds hard but after 2-3 days of a true juice fast, you do not miss eating at all and you will have insane amounts of energy and you will lose 10lbs off the bat with 1lb a day...and you can ride, work out, etc. Best of all, you purge the system of years of crappy toxins.

Yes sorry to semi-jack the thread. I am in no way doing this, not because I don't think its good, but I don't wanna ;)

Also y main concern is weight loss. The weight gain came from a relaxed diet ( still no fast food, soda, Twinkies) and no riding ( two baby girls) Getting back to my old diet and normal riding routine my weight drops quick. this is just a jump start.

Back to the juice thread.
  • 01-07-2013
    il2mb
    Try dandelion, collard, and cabbage, beets and their tops. Your toilet will forgive you later.

Been juicing for over 35 years. Never spent a day in the hospital. Get a cold maybe once every few years. I cycle 3-4 times a week and can keep up with guys half my age. I do drink beer and wine. What else would I drink have with my carne asada burrito?
  • 01-07-2013
    squashyo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    Yes sorry to semi-jack the thread. I am in no way doing this, not because I don't think its good, but I don't wanna ;)

Also y main concern is weight loss. The weight gain came from a relaxed diet ( still no fast food, soda, Twinkies) and no riding ( two baby girls) Getting back to my old diet and normal riding routine my weight drops quick. this is just a jump start.

Back to the juice thread.

No, no, no, please! I do not mind at all talking about options and alternatives to a bike friendly/healthy eating program. What I am seeing though is a confusion between a 'fast' and a 'diet'...just hope people understand the difference. I hope everyone will try a 'juice fast' someday as it's a cool experience that is not nearly as hard as it seems...and, did I mention, you can still ride a bike? :)
  • 01-07-2013
    markj2k4
    Quote:

No, no, no, please! I do not mind at all talking about options and alternatives to a bike friendly/healthy eating program. What I am seeing though is a confusion between a 'fast' and a 'diet'...just hope people understand the difference. I hope everyone will try a 'juice fast' someday as it's a cool experience that is not nearly as hard as it seems...and, did I mention, you can still ride a bike? :)

One thing I think that scares people off is you think you're going to be starving... in reality you really won't be. I have been only a couple days and my lady constantly is asking if I am hungry. No, no I am not... do I want a giant cheeseburger? Yes, sounds delish, but I am not at all hungry.

Any more tasty recipes to share??
    -M
  • 01-07-2013
    Carl Hungus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markj2k4 View Post
    One thing I think that scares people off is you think you're going to be starving... in reality you really won't be. I have been only a couple days and my lady constantly is asking if I am hungry. No, no I am not... do I want a giant cheeseburger? Yes, sounds delish, but I am not at all hungry.

Any more tasty recipes to share??
    -M

Celery
    Kale
    Carrot
    Apple
    Orange
    Ginger

This is what I've been doing and it's pretty good. The ginger adds a nice little zing to it and it doesn't take much.
  • 01-07-2013
    Trackho
    Quote:

No confusion here, just a different choice, to me emptying your digestive system of fiber in at best giving you a temporary benefit, as it was designed to use fiber. So maybe you lose a few pounds that you immediately gain back. The amount of energy saved from digestion is maybe 5% of what you use, and if you body uses 5% more, then you'll burn more fat.

The good news is, you've encouraged many to try something different with positive effects which is commendable. But personally, I can live with a couple pounds of fiber and $300 more bucks in my pocket--more $$$$ for hookers and blow-they are allowed right?? Just sayin:p:p
  • 01-07-2013
    squashyo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    No confusion here, just a different choice, to me emptying your digestive system of fiber in at best giving you a temporary benefit, as it was designed to use fiber. So maybe you lose a few pounds that you immediately gain back. The amount of energy saved from digestion is maybe 5% of what you use, and if you body uses 5% more, then you'll burn more fat.

The good news is, you've encouraged many to try something different with positive effects which is commendable. But personally, I can live with a couple pounds of fiber and $300 more bucks in my pocket--more $$$$ for hookers and blow-they are allowed right?? Just sayin:p:p

Again, a misconception and I mean no disrespect. The fast is meant to detox with a side benefit of weight loss. You will not have a more efficient detox if you are using your organs to process food internally...just not the same. Not sure how many different ways I can say this at this point.

Additionally, I lost 20 lbs over a month ago with 10 days of fasting and I have kept it off fairly effortlessly (I gained back 5lbs but that's just food in my system). Additionally, I don't think your percentages are accurate...at all...did you make those up or are they sourced? I am not advocating people to not diet or that mine is better. Heck, diet all day long, that's great, wonderful in fact, but the fast and a diet are two totally different topics...I encourage you to do a little research and try it. Or not, I don't care...I just think it's a great detoxification program that's not the same as digesting fiber. Now, I have to do a line off this hookers back if you don't mind.
  • 01-07-2013
    Nelson34
    Oh wow-just had the first juice drink on the 10 day detox-wow that was something else-my head still hurts! That was something else. Says to drink over ice-unfortunately I didn't have any, I think the colder the better.
  • 01-07-2013
    squashyo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    Oh wow-just had the first juice drink on the 10 day detox-wow that was something else-my head still hurts! That was something else. Says to drink over ice-unfortunately I didn't have any, I think the colder the better.

Atta boy! I promise you get used to it and it grows on you. Secret to a great drink...lots of carrots, celery and beats...helps hide flavor of the greens (which I now dig). Throw in an apple or pear to sweeten it up a bit. Good luck buddy!
  • 01-07-2013
    Nelson34
    My fiancÚ is doing it too-the ginger was the culprit! Strong taste. I'm still sitting here going what did I just drink?!? Maybe I'll at least have good breath?
  • 01-07-2013
    squashyo
    Yeah, ginger will give it a kick for sure but ginger is also supposed to be good for the tummy. Wait till you throw some garlic in there or cilantro. Let's go follow LP/AR up Kennedy soon.
  • 01-07-2013
    ancient rascal
    Quote:

Yeah, ginger will give it a kick for sure but ginger is also supposed to be good for the tummy. Wait till you throw some garlic in there or cilantro. Let's go follow LP/AR up Kennedy soon.

That juice deal worked out well yesterday I must admit. I was following you most of the time if I remember correctly. :p And let me say it again as per our conversation yesterday ... We kinda have to attempt the sub 40 to the top thingy ... stud ! :p
  • 01-07-2013
    Nelson34
    Man-an hour later and I think I'm finally over the drink. Craving a nice juicy burgar now! Had a light salad with little dressing instead. Not going to weigh myself, I'd rather see how my pants and shirts fit as I go along. Maybe my fox shorts won't unbutton themselves when I sneeze would be a nice start!
  • 01-07-2013
    Daytripper63
    I started over the weekend and today was my first day back at work so I made a big batch to take with me to get me through the day, I must say I can already feel the difference. Crazy part of this is normally the ONLY way I eat greens etc is on a burger, I have been adding ice since these seem to taste better cold.
  • 01-07-2013
    Daytripper63
    I have a question though, how does it feel when I go to dinner after this and have a big rack of ribs or a steak. Does our body fight back?
  • 01-07-2013
    squashyo
    Cool man! Should start getting easy for you now.

I can't speak to the rack of ribs but I followed a strict ease back in diet my book recommended which entailed mostly veggies with the introduction of other foods (cheese, grains, etc) throughout the week. When I did get to pizza, it wasn't as satisfying...I craved healthy food...I have pretty much stuck to healthy since...kind of changes your taste needs in a good way.

Keep it up and keep us posted!
  • 01-08-2013
    acer66
    We finished our three day detox and the last day we started to feel "normal" and we can not really tell what it did to us but we also made a plan how to go back to normal so we do not feast to much on the not so good stuff. :p

We started today with the simple kale/banana/OJ smoothie which we really like.
    But in the moment I have a hard time to fight the mental urge of a nice cup of coffee.
  • 01-08-2013
    acer66
    We finished our three day detox and the last day we started to feel "normal" and we can not really tell what it did to us but we also made a plan how. to go back to normal so we do not feast to much on the not so good stuff.

We started today with the simple kale/banana/OJ smoothie which we really like.
    But in the moment I have a hard time to fight the mental urge of a nice cup of coffee.
  • 01-08-2013
    G_g
    I started on Sunday, mainly to lose the belly fat (I used to be around 100kg in the begging of summer, and due to some lifestyle changes, including being vegetarian, got down to 75kg and stabilized there. With working out, the fat was being transformed into lean mass, but the friggin beer belly didn't seem to go way. It is kinda weird being able to see the top 4 abdominal muscle, and the bottom 4 being hidden by fat). Guess since I was vegetarian, it shouldn't be that hard. I am writing a log, I will publish that when I am done. I am going for a 10-day juice fast followed by a 5-day reintroduction to food. Also, I wanted my blood pressure to lower. When I was 100kg, the pressure was near 11-17, and by 75kg, it got down to 8-15. This is still too damn high, was the doctor prescribed medicine, which I never took. I am 22 years old, I shouldn't be needing medicine right now... The fast should help the blood pressure get back to decent levels.

Questions:
    1- I have slept a lot less in these nights (like 5 hours), and waking up super-energetic. But since I am waking up at 4 am, I usually get back to sleep until 7am (my normal waking up time). I feel like **** by 7am, no-energy at all. Would you just stay awake from 4am, drink the hot tea and do whatever to kill time?
    2- Spinach juice has a horrible taste, and so does zucchini. I have read that raw brocolli isn't good. I am not fond on beetroot, but maybe it was due to the spinach. This basically leaves kale has the only green that I can easily drink. If I had one apple, the taste of juices becomes manageable. I have read you shouldn't mix fruits with veggies, but apple is ok. So, something like 25% kale/spinach/broccoli/beetroot or whatever, 25% apple, 25% carrot and 25% fennel/celery/cucumber seems ok? As the green juice, ofc. In the fruit juice, I use pear, kiwi, apple, carrot, mandarine. Just pick 3 and mix. The fruit juices are very tasty. I wouldn't mind drinking fruit juices the whole day, but I know I need the veggie ones. Any hints to make the taste less horrible? (I tried ginger and lemon, none of those helped)
    3- Since I have been drinking so much, I am pissing almost clear, and pretty often. On the contrary, after waking up, the pee has a solid color. Is it due to being from a larger time-frame (through the night?)
    4- Could beans, chickpeas, lentills be added? I like their taste quite a lot, but dunno if they yield any juice.
    5- Here I can't find fresh pineapple, only canned ones in "their own juice". Is it ok to use these? I know the nutritional value is lower, but should present another option for the fruit-juices
    6- Cauliflower, ok to juice?
    7- soy sauce or balsamic vinegar can be added to juices, to make taste more manageable?
    8- Whey protein powder shakes (with water) can be introduced in this fasting? I have been drinking them for a while (since I have been working out and being vegetarian to be specific). Can one of these replace the hot tea before bed?
    9- Should some salt be added to this fasting? Like a small pinch in the green juices. I guess we could lack the salt if we seat and dont replenish
    10- Coconut water for after workouts is acceptable?

Hope you can help.
    Cheers
  • 01-08-2013
    squashyo
    Hey G_g...way to go man! I am thinking your are not in the US.

So, I am no expert but have thoughts here.

First, I posted a book in the first page. Highly recommend reading (or internet searches) to get most of these questions tackled.

Sleeping...most likely induced by stress not diet. Try a little Yoga before going to bed. Go to bed a little later perhaps. Usually when I wake up and know I ain't tired enough to go back to sleep, I read a book.

I personally got used to the spinach/zuch/broccoli...think of your drink as fuel rather than a meal. Fruit with veggies is fine according to my book but just make sure you are getting 2/3rds veggie over fruit everyday. HIGHLY recommend getting a filter bag of some kind to reduce the foamy pulp which can give drink a gamey feel and taste...you don't need this pulp at all for a "fast". Your percentages above look dead on. Another key to my success was adding 2 TBS UDO's Oil every 1 Quart drink (not sure if that is available where you are). Gave me essential good fats and gave my drinks some body that was really nice.

I think the dark pee you are seeing through the night are the toxins...good stuff....clear during day means you are drinking the right amount of water...good on ya.

4) no idea
    5) personally, I'd avoid store bought but couldn't hurt I suppose...as long as it's natural (real) and organic.
    6) no idea...but think about adding bell pepper, cabbage, garlic, romaine lettuce (very high protein ironically)
    7) I am gonna say NO! especially if you are looking to reduce blood pressure.
    8) no idea...innernet that one
    9) No...celery had a crap load of salt in it already.
    10) no idea

Can't wait to hear progress...I had a beer gut going strong and this fast really helped...and I've kept it off.
  • 01-08-2013
    Nelson34
    So last night dinner was a plate of steamed broccoli and snap peas. Wow. We made our way to Safeway and bought the rest of the necessary ingredients for the next 4 days. Actually feel ok-energy wise and not terribly hungry. Tried the drink for today' menu last night-tastes like drank-cant wait. Work by Goldilocks this morning-breakfast is always a treat for me there-eggs and Tocino, but today ill be drinking my breakfast.
  • 01-08-2013
    G_g
    Yep, I'm living in London, but I'm from Portugal. I never check other location forums, just stumbled on this from the MTBR feed on facebook.

I have been eating vegetables since I was a kid, but the lack of physical activity and eating loads of crap led me to the 100kg (which is a lot for 1.79m). Nonetheless, I am used to Olive Oil for cooking. It is surprisingly one of the best fats for oil, and there is one thing i Like a lot ( at least in the solid state: boiled spinach + garlic + olive oil. I'll try drinking that, just to see).

Just discovered a whole foods market store that I can go to (the local market is on saturday, and I started on a Sunday.... yeah, dumb me. At least days 8-10 will have fresh veggies from market, as well as the 1st of the rebound days. I try to buy stuff often, even if in smaller amount, I want to keep the freshness as long as I can).

I realized I need juice at least every 90min. More than that, and I start to lose some energy. The whey protein with water keeps me full for 2h or a bit more.

All that I read lead in the way that exercise shouldn't stop during the juice fast, and that water based protein shakes are fine (they have no fiber, mine are over 80% protein, with the remainder being close to 10% fat and 10% carbs)

Stay away from canned fruit, based on the interwebz. Whole food market to the rescue, if it is available. Coconut water recommended for after sweating to replenish what was lost
  • 01-08-2013
    thatdrewguy
    Alright I've been checking this thread for about a week and the peer pressure of needing a new toy has suckered me in. I went to BB&B with my 20% coupon and got an Omega VRT350HD. I just finished my first juice from produce already in the refrigerator. Couple apples, couple carrots, romaine lettuce heart, leftover chopped kale. That green drink was pretty decent with some ice.

There was a link for Reboot with Joe from an earlier post and I think I'll follow one of its plans.
    Which Reboot Plan is right for you? | Reboot With Joe
  • 01-08-2013
    G_g
    Any difference between the regular lettuce and romaine lettuce? They seem fairly similarly, and the more I juice, the more I realise the dark green are the worst tasting to me. I can like with up to 1/4 of the juice coming from a dark green, but the remainder 50% that should be vegetables are usually occupied by carrot/celery/fennel/cucumber/beetroot (but not fond on beetroot to be honest).

Got some suede, don't have it in Portugal. Will try it, seems close to turnip in smell, expecting taste to be somewhat similar.

Also, sweet potato juice, anyone tried? Or pumpkin juice? Peppers?
  • 01-08-2013
    squashyo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    Alright I've been checking this thread for about a week and the peer pressure of needing a new toy has suckered me in. I went to BB&B with my 20% coupon and got an Omega VRT350HD. I just finished my first juice from produce already in the refrigerator. Couple apples, couple carrots, romaine lettuce heart, leftover chopped kale. That green drink was pretty decent with some ice.

There was a link for Reboot with Joe from an earlier post and I think I'll follow one of its plans.
    Which Reboot Plan is right for you? | Reboot With Joe

Awesome! I was checking out those reboots and they looked great. To reiterate earlier comments, after the first 3 days, juice fasting is really easy so don't be afraid to try a longer one. Good luck and congrats!

On a side note, been on this juice/diet change for over a month now and I undeniably can feel it in my riding. I am without a doubt stronger than I have been in a while...just rode my big 40lb DH bike up some steep hills here in LG, CA for a lunch ride today and it was remarkably easy...I contemplated adding another loop I felt so good...stupid work.
  • 01-08-2013
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by G_g View Post
    Or pumpkin juice?

Yo wassup Hermione Grainger? :winker:
  • 01-08-2013
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Quote:

...just rode my big 40lb DH bike up some steep hills here in LG, CA for a lunch ride today and it was remarkably easy...I contemplated adding another loop I felt so good...stupid work.

Dude, we need to hook up for these mid-day rides during the week. Likes me some Dogmeat pain!!! :D
  • 01-08-2013
    thatdrewguy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by G_g View Post
    Any difference between the regular lettuce and romaine lettuce? They seem fairly similarly, and the more I juice, the more I realise the dark green are the worst tasting to me. I can like with up to 1/4 of the juice coming from a dark green, but the remainder 50% that should be vegetables are usually occupied by carrot/celery/fennel/cucumber/beetroot (but not fond on beetroot to be honest).

Got some suede, don't have it in Portugal. Will try it, seems close to turnip in smell, expecting taste to be somewhat similar.

Also, sweet potato juice, anyone tried? Or pumpkin juice? Peppers?

What is suede? I know you can wear it or listen to it but eat it?
    Here's a list of fruits and vegetables and how to prep them.

A-Z Produce Prep
  • 01-08-2013
    acer66
    During the 3 day detox my GF lost around 5 pounds and I do not weighted myself but I had to tighten the belt.

Like others said before it is really amazing how filling it is, I never was never hungry.
    Only the last day I got some little cravings but it convinced me enough to upgrade our old Juiceman Jr. to a little more sophisticated one.
  • 01-08-2013
    fitnessgeek
    tonight's juice:
    1 whole bunch of kale
    a few cups of fresh spinach
    1 bunch of parsley
    ~ 6-8 carrots
    2 pink lady apples
    1 granny smith apple
    1 lime
    small block of fresh ginger
    2 small red beets

this may be the best tasting juice I've made yet....enough for a large glass for 3 people

FWIW I juice a few times a week as a way of getting lots of nutrients in, but we are not fasting by any means
  • 01-09-2013
    JHANguyen
    My SO is planning on doing this and I was thinking about joining in..

That being said, I'm going to Vegas in about a month and will probably drink and eat a ****load for 3 days. With weight loss being my primary goal, is this a bad idea? I feel I'll gain weight back rather quickly due to metabolic adjustments from just those few days.
  • 01-09-2013
    brianb00
    Protein powders ?
    Hi,

My wife does a very similar diet routine quarterly. Except the juices are bit more fruit centric and she adds protein powders that were recommended by a doc. These are similar in content to what Hammer products use in their protein mixes for endurance events. I am wondering is anyone else adding a touch of soy or wheat germ ? If so, any side effects ?

BB
  • 01-09-2013
    squashyo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JHANguyen View Post
    My SO is planning on doing this and I was thinking about joining in..

That being said, I'm going to Vegas in about a month and will probably drink and eat a ****load for 3 days. With weight loss being my primary goal, is this a bad idea? I feel I'll gain weight back rather quickly due to metabolic adjustments from just those few days.

I had the same dilemma sort of. What I found was after my cleanse was that I had retrained my taste buds and cravings. Though I had ample opportunity to eat crap but I found myself wanting to seek out healthy food. I think once you go this extra mile, you come out of it looking to maintain the health and work you put in.

As for drinking, I boozed up pretty good over the holidays...I drank about half what I usually drink to but got knockered pretty good all the same. The hang overs weren't super fun but when are they ever.

If you don't want to put pressure on your self, wait till after your trip and start eating better in the meantime...just a thought.

Cheers to you for giving this a go!