Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Great thread!

My wife and I have been doing vegetable / fruit juice for breakfast 5 to 7 days a weeks for over a year now. I have yet to do a juice fast, but I am planning on giving it a go very soon. It weird that a 20oz glass of Carrot, Kale & green apple fills me up until lunch.

On the subject of juicers, started out with a cheap juicer ($50) just to try it out. It sucked and we upgraded to what we thought was a very good Breville Juicer for about ($175). It worked much better than the first cheap juicer but the pulp was still pretty wet with a lot of juice left in it. I would sometimes squeeze the pulp in cheese cloth and get an extra 1/2 cup of juice. This lead me to start looking for a new juicer that would perform better. After a bunch of research we ended up getting an Omega Vert Juicer. It was very pricey but performs so much better than the Breville. The pulp is almost bone dry and the machine is much easier to clean. The juice also looks better, not merky and cloudy like what came out of the Breville juicer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    Great thread!

My wife and I have been doing vegetable / fruit juice for breakfast 5 to 7 days a weeks for over a year now. I have yet to do a juice fast, but I am planning on giving it a go very soon. It weird that a 20oz glass of Carrot, Kale & green apple fills me up until lunch.

On the subject of juicers, started out with a cheap juicer ($50) just to try it out. It sucked and we upgraded to what we thought was a very good Breville Juicer for about ($175). It worked much better than the first cheap juicer but the pulp was still pretty wet with a lot of juice left in it. I would sometimes squeeze the pulp in cheese cloth and get an extra 1/2 cup of juice. This lead me to start looking for a new juicer that would perform better. After a bunch of research we ended up getting an Omega Vert Juicer. It was very pricey but performs so much better than the Breville. The pulp is almost bone dry and the machine is much easier to clean. The juice also looks better, not merky and cloudy like what came out of the Breville juicer.
    Thanks a lot Tim! Anyone want to buy my Breville? I'll sell her cheap.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Thanks a lot Tim! Anyone want to buy my Breville? I'll sell her cheap.
    No problem. We ended up getting a great deal on the Omega Vert Juicer at Bed Bath and Beyond. It was about $350 and we had a 20% off coupon that was in the Sunday news paper. Several times a year you can find these 20% off BB&B coupons around.

BTW - the Omega juicer has a 10 year warranty and is built like a tank.

"Its All Good"
    Awesome thread....

If you can afford it, go to a cold pressed juicer, 10 times better juice health wise and taste wise... Seriously, if you have a juice from a cold pressed juicer, you will not go back to a typical juicer....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    Awesome thread....

If you can afford it, go to a cold pressed juicer, 10 times better juice health wise and taste wise... Seriously, if you have a juice from a cold pressed juicer, you will not go back to a typical juicer....
    Never heard about cold pressed juicers but that I read about them they seem to be the better choice.
    I had a Champion before and while it was great it had the disadvantages of a centrifugal juicer compared with a Masticating Juicer.
    Right now I just use a cheap one but I am going to get me a good one soon
    and while I am not getting a $1k plus one I am going to spend a couple of hundret dollars.

Whafe do you have some recommadations regarding a cold pressed jucier?

Right now my first pick would be a Omega model, not sure which one yet but that seems to be a good choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Dr Norman Walker is the inventor of modern juicing. His Norwalk juicer is the most expensive and efficient juicer I have seen, It is a small hydraulic press that gets every last drop of juice out of the pulp. His book "Fresh fruit and Vegetable Juices" is very interesting too, especially since it was written in 1936. I read it about 25 years ago when my mother got cancer and was given 6 months to live. I got got her juicing.and she beat it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    How does commercial vegetable juices like V8 compare to the stuff you guys make in your juicers?
    What I make from my juicer is 100% my own. No artificial anything. When I can't juice I will buy the green juice in bottle by Naked or Odwalla. They are fine in a pinch, but they have so many ingredients. I know what is my juice when I make it. Plus I can tweak the taste by changing the ratios a bit.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Try this

Get a bundle of kale - $2
    A bunch of bananas - $2
    High quality orange juice

6-8 oz. of OJ
    4-5 de-stalked kale
    1 banana

Blend it all up and drink this concoction everyday for two weeks. Eat your regular healthy diet. Obvious to not eat fast food, crap, etc.
    I like to have one of these for breakfast, gets the day started off right.

I would modify the recipe if you are just getting started with these. Kale shakes can seem kind of gritty. Start with spinach, then gradually add in some Kale. Also, make them as COLD as possible.

Here's my recipe
    1-handfulSpinach
    1-frozen banana (I buy, peel and freeze them. Helps make the drink as cold as possible. Banana also helps smooth out the smoothie and make it less gritty)
    4-8 - frozen strawberries
    handful of frozen blueberries or mixed berries
    1.5 - cups of water (Orange juice would make it taste better, but I rarely have it)
    It's basically a Jamba Juice with some greens thrown in. For the skeptics, you can barely taste the greens.
    The best part is it's a light meal and you will never feel bogged down or lethargic after having one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Puro Vida!
    I just told my significant over about this and she told me shed been giving me Kale in my turkey sandwiches! I've been drinking more water and refrained from alcohol since Monday and just this had made me feel a lil better.
    After the holidays I'm going to dust off the fancy Margarita blender/vita mix and try a detox followed by some sort of change in diet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    My father spent 32 years as a meat inspector with the USDA. I visited him at slaughterhouses a couple times. No issues with where the meat I eat comes from. My sister checked it out once. She went vegetarian after that visit but it only last a couple weeks. The slaughtering isn't the disturbing part to me. It's how fast it happens and how little time is actually spent inspecting. And the managers hinting that the inspectors should look the other way sometimes.

How does commercial vegetable juices like V8 compare to the stuff you guys make in your juicers?
    Commercial meat is outright disgusting. It's dirty and cruel. They may get slaughtered quickly, but the lives up to that point are awful. It sucks because the industry employs a lot of people.

We have ZERO relationship with our food these days. What we see as meat comes partially rotting in plastic wrap and styrofoam (or worse... a $1 Meal) - so there is a complete disconnect from the origins of our food.

This is why I respect hunting over the commercial meat industry. People see hunting as cruel, but the meat industry is WAY more cruel, IMO.

Now, I will also climb into my Prius with a COEXIST bumper sticker, a yoga mat, and listen to Enya. Or Yanni. Or Yennya (A hybrid of Yanni and Enya).

I think the thing about V-8 and those types of juices is the sugar, salt and preservatives. They add that stuff since they are selling it commercially.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    I just told my significant over about this and she told me shed been giving me Kale in my turkey sandwiches! I've been drinking more water and refrained from alcohol since Monday and just this had made me feel a lil better.
    After the holidays I'm going to dust off the fancy Margarita blender/vita mix and try a detox followed by some sort of change in diet.
    Now, lose the turkey and switch to avocado and red tomatoes, homie.

mtbr member
    So, I am going to make the big leap and get a Masticating Juicer (Cold Press). In order to do this, I need to off load my current new juicer. It's top of the line for Centrifuge and works like a champ. I got Breville-RM-JE98XL-Certified-Remanufactured-Extractor 850w dual speed. One of the highest rated juicers in this category. Super easy to operate and clean.

Paid $175 and used it a little over 2 months. Willing to unload it for half the price I paid. Anyone here interested in starting a life change with a little great machine?

Mtn View, CA
    So do you just replace a meal with a glass of juice? How big a glass?
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

Puro Vida!
    You know instead of alcohol-lots of people in Mexico drink something called Agua Miel. Comes from the Maguey plant. After the first day it no longer is called Agua Miel but Pulke-not sure on spelling. Supposed to have therapeutic qualities.
    I was at a friend's ranch and remember they invited me to go harvest some Agua Miel. The stuff will mess you up! It will get you drunk and actually gets stronger as the days go by. I remember as a kid my dad who doesn't really drink, would always look for it when we'd go to Mexico.
    It's something you have to look for and know where it comes from when you do ask for it. There's bars that specialize in it. I've never heard of anyone producing it here.

Puro Vida!
    I went back to Mexico, San Miguel de Allende, and took a friend. We went looking for Agua Miel and found a lady selling it at a market. We'd go every morning and get a cup to drink since its supposed to be 'healthy' for you. So after doing this for a couple days we go visit some friends.
    I tell her about this 'ritual' we do each morning and she asked if we knew this lady or if it was good quality. Told her I think so why? She said could be dangerous. Asked her what could be dangerous about it-she said could have amoebas. I think my friend almost killed me with the look he gave me. So lesson of the story-know where your Agua Miel comes from. But this true about a lot of stuff in Mexico including the meat. They will butcher a sick animal and sell the meat.

mtbr member
    So, I am going to make the big leap and get a Masticating Juicer (Cold Press)
    what juicer are you going to get?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    what juicer are you going to get?
    Thinking about a big investment: Super Angel 5500...about a grand. yikes!

"Its All Good"
    The Angel Juicer is the one I have used mostly.

Angel Juicer Company Home Page

As I seed, not being apox, it is expensive, but anyone wanting to get serious about juicing, this is the way to go..

I really have a loads of beetroot juice, using the Angel, I almost get twice the juice as opposed to using a centrifugal juicer...

There are quite some writings stating that loads of the goodness etc is destroyed by the centrifugal juicers. HOWEVER, a centrifugal juicer is better than no juice at all....

Drinking a few L's of beetroot juice per week gives a new meaning to going to the bathroom, both 1's and 2's

Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    Never heard about cold pressed juicers but that I read about them they seem to be the better choice.
    I had a Champion before and while it was great it had the disadvantages of a centrifugal juicer compared with a Masticating Juicer.
    Right now I just use a cheap one but I am going to get me a good one soon
    and while I am not getting a $1k plus one I am going to spend a couple of hundret dollars.

Whafe do you have some recommadations regarding a cold pressed jucier?

Right now my first pick would be a Omega model, not sure which one yet but that seems to be a good choice.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"
    Yep, BIG investment, but it will take juicing to a new level, the taste is sensational... Awesome work...

mtbr member
    But it is so shiny

I really need to change my diet to the better, I just got the flue or whatever it is pretty bad today.

I just noticed that while I am typing this here there is a ad to the right for omega juicers, I wonder why that is.

Lightly salted
    Try this

A bunch of bananas - $2

6-8 oz. of OJ
    4-5 de-stalked kale
    1 banana

Blend it all up and drink this concoction everyday for two weeks. Eat your regular healthy diet. Obvious to not eat fast food, crap, etc.

!
    Thanks for this
    I tried this today after my ride and it was very good, except I just used plain water and added whey protien powder to it. I like the taste of bitter greens and also high fiber so I went heavy on the Kale and even left the stalkes on. This is going to be my new after ride recovery drink.

mtbr member

Dion's juice suggestion...

A bunch of bananas - $2

6-8 oz. of OJ
    4-5 de-stalked kale
    1 banana

Try my recipe above. If you have an upset stomach or get an upset stomach in the morning, throw in a 1/4" of ginger. Ginger is a natural way to settle an upset stomach. Plus the anti-oxidents and anti-inflammatory properties are outstanding.
    Thanks for this recipe Dion! I tried it this morning and it's good. Not much bitterness from the Kale with the sweetness from the OJ and banana. I'm going to try it as a morning meal replacement for awhile.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [QUOTE=PixieChik;9988195]Step one- mission accomplished. I found a friend with a juicer she isn't using, will be in my possessiontomorrow. I can run a trial before spending the bucks on an appliance I might not use.
    Now I need to decide if I'm in for the pineapple juice experiment or going all the way and do a juice fast..

Did you try it yet? After 4 days you should be seeing a difference by now...Pineapple for aches and pains is simply amazing.

HTFU!
    Went to Bed Bath and Beyond. My wife had a $20 gift card and a $20 return. We also had one of there 20% off coupons, but Breville is listed on it as a brand not valid with the coupon (it is in the coupon's small print). Was tempted to get the $199 multi-speed juice fountain (BJE510XL) but ended up with the $149 dual speed model (JE98XL) as it gets great reviews and consumer reports recommended it.
    When we got to the register my wife tried to use the coupon....and the kid behind the counter took it (cha-ching, score!).
    Looking to start a detox challenge with a friend after xmas.

mtbr member
    The Brevillle JE98XL is really good. That was what I was using for my fast and juices for the past couple months. One word of advice: get a filter bag (probably find one at any beer making store or even a cooking store). The juice you will get will be foamy and pulpy. One run through the filter will improve the flavor and texture considerably. You'll especially want to do this if you decide to fast...you want to avoid the pulpy stuff as much as possible to help with easy digestion and thus the purpose of the fast.

Congrats!

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast