Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    One thing I don't understand is the caloric intake when either juice fasting or juicing as a supplement to eating in a healthful way. Does counting calories go out the window when juicing is involved?

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well, juice must contain some calories. But way less than the raw ingredients. Fact is, while I was juice fasting, my body was "burning" almost 1kg of fat per day. Juice being a supplement to eating is what I am doing. Juices until the afternoon and solid food thereafter.

The 2 pounds rebound from starting to eat only solid is disapearing, I re-lost 1 of those pounds. I guess I am not eating enough to fuel my body needs, hence losing weight. From what others have written, 3 quarts of juice per day was a lot more than what I drank. I had like 1 quart... I diluted that 1:1 with water. And drank over 2L water per day (over 2 quarts).

I know that protein contains energy, hence being calories. I'm no expert, but everything you eat/drink should net some calories. Your body might spend more energy to break them down into usable stuff than their energetic value, but that should be other story.

If you juice instead of a meal, or of a snack, I'd say count like 1/10 or something really low of what the food used to juice would net you in terms of calories.

I mean, no way in hell would I be losing 1kg per day if I ate 4 apples, 1 pineapple, 2 oranges, 4 carrots, 1 kale, 1 lettuce and 450grams cellery per day. Most of the sugar from the fruit must go away with the pulp, leaving mostly the nutrients and vitamins. Do some extra research and shed us some light xD

If juice fasting, just drink as much as you want. Just remember not to mix fruit and veggies in same juice (apples are exception), and I tried to drink 2 fruit juices per day (breakfast and dessert) and 3 veggie juices (morning/lunch, afternoon and dinner). I added 2 protein shakes (1 after workout and 1 before bed). Factor in you should be drinking 2l water per day, and you can have tea when you want, you'll have enough
    Keith Scott: If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    One thing I don't understand is the caloric intake when either juice fasting or juicing as a supplement to eating in a healthful way. Does counting calories go out the window when juicing is involved?
    I think there are empty calories and good calories. Empty calories fill you up but your body isn't getting what it needs so it asks for more and converts a lot of it into fat. Veggie juice calories are grade A, 100% good **** so once you re-acclimate the system with this stuff, your overall appetite changes and you start to get by on less. I am not certain but almost positive that you can't OD on veggie juice and what you do put in gets used or flushed out rather than converted to fat.
    I'm not sure how this works.

Evolutionsverlierer
    @ G_g why do fruits and vegetables not mix?

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Has to do with the nutrient and whatever chains and how we process them.

I read that online and asked a friend from biology and he confirmed they are somewhat different in the way we absorb them.
    It was too complicated for Me, so I took their word.

Look it up online, it showed up when I did some research pre fast
    Keith Scott: If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking

HTFU!
    Glad to see this. FWIW I have been mixing what seems like a ton of veggies and rotating between adding a large green apple and 1/2 a lemon or an orange and 1/2 lemon. Did not know that the citrus fruits were somehow depriving me of nutrients...fwiw I have not felt a lack of energy but then I am only juicing throughout the day and then eating a reasonable dinner (mostly vegetarian). I will say, that this mornings breakfast/lunch concoction of celery, kale, spinach, romaine, parsley, beet (leaves and all), carrots, tomatoes, an orange and a lemon was pretty tasty. My veggies are nearly out, so I just threw some of everything in there. Dinner was a baked potato with vegetarian chili and a bit of organic cheese and broccoli. Now time for Pilates.
    I no longer deserve a signature.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Oh, tomato also doesn't fit nicely with veggies (I was told tomato is now considered fruit... it's due to high acid contents, dunno more details).

Now, all the spices seem that their taste as been cranked up to 11. I tried a bit of mustard, and I was sneezing as soon as I ate that. Salt seems 5x as strong as it was, pepper the same, and vinegar now is unbearable. I dunno how I used all those things previously...Or at least, the amounts that I used, if talking about the spices...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Squashyo, thanks for starting this thread, I was looking into juicing when this thread came up. I was pretty much be a meat and potatoes guy before this and the only way I ate lettuce etc was on a burger (turkey burger) but mixing it up in the vitamix makes it all taste good, which was a little surprising to me. so far I haven't had a bad batch yet and going on my 10th day I am feeling great losing some weight and I have had no desire for meat so the plan is to just keep going on this til I get where I want to be then who knows maybe I will go semi vegan if there is any such thing.
    P.s. I too have noticed certain things like salts, spices being much stronger tasting now, but that is probably a good thing for me since I was trying to reduce my sodium intake before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by G_g View Post
    Oh, tomato also doesn't fit nicely with veggies (I was told tomato is now considered fruit... it's due to high acid contents, dunno more details).

Now, all the spices seem that their taste as been cranked up to 11. I tried a bit of mustard, and I was sneezing as soon as I ate that. Salt seems 5x as strong as it was, pepper the same, and vinegar now is unbearable. I dunno how I used all those things previously...Or at least, the amounts that I used, if talking about the spices...
    Botanically a tomato is a fruit, but nutritionally and from a culinary perspective it's a vegetable...
    But I grew up on a tomato farm, so perhaps I am a little too into tomatoes.

aka baycat
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 01-16-2013 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What evidence is there that drinking this juice removes toxins from the body, or that while not digesting your body has "down time" to do other things? That sounds bogus to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    What evidence is there that drinking this juice removes toxins from the body, or that while not digesting your body has "down time" to do other things? That sounds bogus to me.
    I'd recommend reading the thread or Googling the topic. It's verified again and again via multiple sources and testimonials. I can only speak from personal experience which has been nothing short of awesome. Try it and let us know if it's indeed bogus.

mtbr member
    Well, if you do some googling, this is what comes up...
    (Juice fasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    Scientists, dietitians, and doctors regard detox diets as less effective than water-fasting, and hence generally harmless but a waste of money.[7] Catherine Collins, Chief Dietician of St George’s Hospital Medical School in London, England, states that "The concept of ‘detox’ is a marketing myth rather than a physiological entity. The idea that an avalanche of vitamins, minerals, and laxatives taken over a 2 to 7 day period can have a long-lasting benefit for the body is also a marketing myth."[7]
    Detox diets, depending on the type and duration, are viewed as potentially dangerous and can cause "all kinds of health problems," including muscle loss, decreased metabolism, and an unhealthy re-gaining of fat after the detox ends.[8][9][10][11]
    Not to take anything away from your experience, but one can imagine the benefits may just have arisen from ingesting more veggies&fruit than what your baseline was before (in either juiced, or un-juiced form) as well as from eating less overall than before; one doesn't need a magical 'detox' effect to explain that...

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre View Post
    Well, if you do some googling, this is what comes up...
    (Juice fasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Not to take anything away from your experience, but one can imagine the benefits may just have arisen from ingesting more veggies&fruit than what your baseline was before (in either juiced, or un-juiced form) as well as from eating less overall than before; one doesn't need a magical 'detox' effect to explain that...
    Well this is embarrassing. I guess Catherine Collins completely proved me wrong. Never mind everyone. Continue doing what you were doing before and save your money.

Just kidding. I honestly don't care if people think its bogus...what I have read and seen first hand is that it does work. My blood pressure is normal, I am 15 lbs lighter and keeping it off with very little effort, I have far more energy, people have been telling me I look and act younger, I am riding like a bat out of hell, I have completely shifted my eating habits which would never been possible without the fast, and there was a clear and definite detox occurring during the fast that can only be explained by experiencing it in action. There are going to be naysayers and that's totally fine but I encourage everyone to just give it a shot and then make judgements. I can only tell you the program has completely changed my life and a dozen people I know we'll who took the dive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Well this is embarrassing. I guess Catherine Collins completely proved me wrong. Never mind everyone. Continue doing what you were doing before and save your money.

Just kidding. I honestly don't care if people think its bogus...what I have read and seen first hand is that it does work. My blood pressure is normal, I am 15 lbs lighter and keeping it off with very little effort, I have far more energy, people have been telling me I look and act younger, I am riding like a bat out of hell, I have completely shifted my eating habits which would never been possible without the fast, and there was a clear and definite detox occurring during the fast that can only be explained by experiencing it in action. There are going to be naysayers and that's totally fine but I encourage everyone to just give it a shot and then make judgements. I can only tell you the program has completely changed my life and a dozen people I know we'll who took the dive.
    No problem - obviously it worked for you and those other folks; as you mention it helped change your eating habits, enough reason to be happy about it. I'm just trying to help more folks on board by pointing out that there really is no science in favor of doing those enemas , and that you could get probably get similar benefits by eating less overall and more veg&fruit specifically - blended, juiced, sauteed, in whatever form. Which I guess should be just common sense...

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    After eating for a few days, weight stabilized at the same it was after the end of the juicing. Feeling more energetic, and the sleep patterns are back to normal I am eating only from afternoon onwards.

Everyone says I'm a lot leaner, and my lifting records keep increasing, so I'd say by no means I'm losing muscle. For the first time in my life, I look ripped.

I have been vegetarian for a while, so I wouldn't say it is from having more vegetables in the diet.
    For me, the fasting turned the body into fat-burning mode, nothing like I had experienced before.

It might be bogus, it seems to work for me. I'll do some blood tests to see if there is improvement

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre View Post
    No problem - obviously it worked for you and those other folks; as you mention it helped change your eating habits, enough reason to be happy about it. I'm just trying to help more folks on board by pointing out that there really is no science in favor of doing those enemas , and that you could get probably get similar benefits by eating less overall and more veg&fruit specifically - blended, juiced, sauteed, in whatever form. Which I guess should be just common sense...
    Yes BUT it is extremely hard for many to 'simply' go from a gluttonous diet to a 'rather dull' veggie diet with moderation. These diets inveriably fail and I have failed countless times in the past by saying I'm just gonna start eating better...she don't work. It is my strong opinion that the fast detoxes, removes certain addictions (fats, sugar, salt) , and retrains the taste buds to crave these healthy foods. I can't handle salty foods now. I have zero need for sugar or caffeine. And I eat less per sitting. This is simply something that never ever would have been possible for me had I not gone through the fast and the stuff that went with it.

Hope that some are not turned off by these last few comments because I still stand strongly for a fasting alternative to better health and stronger riding. Word.

HTFU!
    The proof is in the juice!
    I've lost nearly 15lbs, I am exercising more (more than just mountain biking once or twice a week), I am eliminating bad habits and starting good, sustainable habits and I am only juicing 2-3x a day and eating a sensible meal (heavy on the veggies). Is there a strong mental component? Sure, but that is the case with any diet change. And with any 'diet' you suffer the risk of putting back on all the pounds (or more) when that diet is over. We all know the most successful diets are those that lead to lifestyle changes that help ingrain healthy habits and choices. This may not be everyone's cup o' juice, but it can work (lead to a healthy lifestyle) if given a chance. I am a firm skeptic on many, many things; however, experiencing is believing, so there ya go.

Save Jesus
    There is no scientific evidence supporting the notion of "detox", nor of giving your digestive system a rest. It needs to rest like your heart needs to rest. Also, fiber is important because it helps the intestinal lining slough off old cells in a continual process of rejuvenation.

People's wondrous and magical results are most likely a combination of:

Eliminating bad food, either specifically or generally
    A micronutrient punch to the face
    Major shift in macronutrient distribution combined with caloric reduction
    Food reward / satiety issues, i.e. drinking a bland slurry will make you lose weight without feeling hungry
    Whole Health Source: Food Reward: a Dominant Factor in Obesity, Part II

mtbr member
    My veggie fast was an amazing experience and feel it did wonders for my body and mind. I guarantee that anyone who has done a veggie fast will tell you the same thing. Until you've actually experienced it or spoken with someone who has, in my opinion, you are speculating but that's fine - good on ya. I plan to do two a year...I highly recommend anyone curious to try it if you are looking for a healthy change that is lasting (and let's you log some biking miles in the process - which is odd because where did all that energy come from with no food in the system other than juice - head scratch). Now, off to make a big ole juice and figure out where I am going to ride today...weather is looking better and better over here in Norcal! woohoo!

mtbr member
    My veggie fast was an amazing experience and feel it did wonders for my body and mind. I guarantee that anyone who has done a veggie fast will tell you the same thing. Until you've actually experienced it or spoken with someone who has, in my opinion, you are speculating but that's fine - good on ya. I plan to do two a year..
    I'm starting mine this weekend but looking to see how the changes compare to vegan weeks that happen on occasion. Sounds from your posts that you're already vegetarian but I'm curious how many of the other adopters on this thread have ever just quit meat/ meat products for more than a week to see how much better your body can feel.

On my road bike, veggie weeks (not juicing) typically end with me averaging 1-2mph faster than weeks that I eat meat. Excited to see if this juice cleanse will bump that up any more.

Committed
    My veggie fast was an amazing experience and feel it did wonders for my body and mind. I guarantee that anyone who has done a veggie fast will tell you the same thing. Until you've actually experienced it or spoken with someone who has, in my opinion, you are speculating but that's fine - good on ya. I plan to do two a year...I highly recommend anyone curious to try it if you are looking for a healthy change that is lasting (and let's you log some biking miles in the process - which is odd because where did all that energy come from with no food in the system other than juice - head scratch). Now, off to make a big ole juice and figure out where I am going to ride today...weather is looking better and better over here in Norcal! woohoo!
    Come on, we all know you're pushing juicers as part of a syndicate of juicer manufacturers and receiving kickbacks for every one sold as a result of this thread.

Fess up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Come on, we all know you're pushing juicers as part of a syndicate of juicer manufacturers and receiving kickbacks for every one sold as a result of this thread.

Fess up.
    How dare you sir?!!! My intentions are nothing short of honorable and for the well being of my fellow MTB community. However, for those of you that would like to sign up for my Veggie Juice Fast Training Course, Act NOW and I will throw in a bonus Mind Cleanse starter pack AT NO ADDITIONAL COST! Just $299.99 per minute it's a STEAL!!! (Will accept bike trade for Scott Genius 720 - 650B)

Committed
    How dare you sir?!!! My intentions are nothing short of honorable and for the well being of my fellow MTB community. However, for those of you that would like to sign up for my Veggie Juice Fast Training Course, Act NOW and I will throw in a bonus Mind Cleanse starter pack AT NO ADDITIONAL COST! Just $299.99 per minute it's a STEAL!!! (Will accept bike trade for Scott Genius 720 - 650B)
    Are enemas included with that package?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not trying to be a troll here but are beer/wine considered toxins. If so, is it because of fermentation? Is fermented food 'processed' food?

Save Jesus
    where did all that energy come from with no food in the system other than juice - head scratch).
    A conversion to fat metabolism brought on by severe caloric reduction. The large amounts of micronutrients and small amounts of macronutrients probably held off a starvation response.
    People cleaning up their diet and switching to high-fat, high-protein, low-carb paleo diet exhibit similar "boosts" in energy and improved health markers. (Although not as rapid weight loss)

I would bet you one e-dollar (i.e. not real money) that if you did lemon juice & pepper fast + enema, you would feel like carp, despite the "detox" and intestinal resting.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    Not trying to be a troll here but are beer/wine considered toxins. If so, is it because of fermentation? Is fermented food 'processed' food?
    Ethanol is a toxin, but one which the body can metabolize. Plus the usual observational studies about red wine being good for you.
    Fermented foods are technically considered "processed", but are generally good for you (the non-alcohol variants), such as yogurt and other fermented soy products.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post

I would bet you one e-dollar (i.e. not real money) that if you did lemon juice & pepper fast + enema, you would feel like carp, despite the "detox" and intestinal resting.
    What exactly does carp feel like? Salmon?

Anyhow, to beat a dead horse...worked wonders for me and seems to be working for others I know who have actually done it. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Try this

Get a bundle of kale - $2
    A bunch of bananas - $2
    High quality orange juice

6-8 oz. of OJ
    4-5 de-stalked kale
    1 banana

Blend it all up and drink this concoction everyday for two weeks. Eat your regular healthy diet. Obvious to not eat fast food, crap, etc.
    I do this but with almond milk instead of OJ and a scoop or two of flaxseed. Im gonna start trying it out with OJ now.

PRETENDURO
    What exactly does carp feel like? Salmon?
    Hardly! Dude, get clue! Carp feel like eel or catfish. Seriously. Everyone in the NorCal threads took marine biology in college.

Now, a carp smoothie… imagine the possibilities!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

HTFU!
    Act NOW and I will throw in a bonus Mind Cleanse starter pack AT NO ADDITIONAL COST! Just $299.99 per minute it's a STEAL!!!
    According to my wife, I don't need the mind cleanse (already empty), but apparently I do need the enema (full of crap).

Read some of the naysayer posts this morning, but was too busy getting ready to ride to post up a hater reply that surely would have been an eloquently written, brilliant piece that would have swayed even the largest skeptic...instead I took the rigid single-speed out for ~42 miles with ~6600' of climbing (Bike Ride Profile | Whole Enchilada, Plus Quarry! near Auburn | Times and Records | Strava) and decided that was proof enough. Juicing all day, decent dinner at night (last nights pre-ride meal was a piece of salmon, a piece of bread w/garlic and olive oil and green beans with lemon-pepper. Dessert was a small handful of dark chocolate covered raisins.
    This ride was my longest, toughest CA ride yet. Surely my weight loss is what off-set my complete lack of energy...or maybe it was all mental.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    According to my wife, I don't need the mind cleanse (already empty), but apparently I do need the enema (full of crap).

Read some of the naysayer posts this morning, but was too busy getting ready to ride to post up a hater reply that surely would have been an eloquently written, brilliant piece that would have swayed even the largest skeptic...instead I took the rigid single-speed out for ~42 miles with ~6600' of climbing (Bike Ride Profile | Whole Enchilada, Plus Quarry! near Auburn | Times and Records | Strava) and decided that was proof enough. Juicing all day, decent dinner at night (last nights pre-ride meal was a piece of salmon, a piece of bread w/garlic and olive oil and green beans with lemon-pepper. Dessert was a small handful of dark chocolate covered raisins.
    This ride was my longest, toughest CA ride yet. Surely my weight loss is what off-set my complete lack of energy...or maybe it was all mental.
    After that ride, you're my hero.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    After that ride, you're my hero.
    Ha, thanks. The truth is, the weight loss really helps. Over the last several months, I could actually feel my gut (affectionately named 'my Camel Front') slowing me down on long rides. I do admit that I was a bit fatigued as I started my final climb up Stagecoach, ended up loosing traction on the first steep spot and spun out. Had to hoof it for a short stretch before I could get back on the bike and hit a good cadence up the climb. I would like to blame the new rear tire I was testing that I had pumped up to 40psi (long story), but my legs were pretty beat. Other than that, I feel pretty darn good.

Another confession: Morning Green Glory Juice for breakfast, but I took with me a bottle of lemon water and a bottle of Infinite drink. And at the end of the ride, I though I might need some protien to help the muscles so I downed some garbanzo beans and a small chocolate milk...both organic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am really enjoying the energy I have now so it makes me think I might be willing to try going vegan or ? I am looking for different meal ideas and what do you snack on?

mtbr member
    My gf and I are taking a cue from this thread but using the diet plans here:
    Juice Fast – The 5 Day Plan | WELLPICKED

Started cutting out meat, dairy, gluten heavy food, sugar, and caffeine over the last week and went all juice except for dinner the last two days. Following the recipes on the link above for the next five days. Lost around 8lbs in the last week just cutting out all the bad stuff so I'm interested to see how much I'll lose over the next five days of juicing and the week of phasing back in solid foods.

I'm 6'9" and float around 270lbs but have a goal to get down to 240lbs over the next few months, this is just a start. Currently at 278 today after putting on a bunch of weight over the holidays and backing off on the bike commuting without a similar reduction in caloric intake.

Here are the recipes we're using for the next week:
    Green Juice
    Ingredients
    2 cucumbers
    6 stalks of celery
    1 green apple
    1/4 bunch of spinach leaves
    6 leaves of romaine lettuce
    1/4 cup parsley

Green lemonade
    Ingredients
    1 head romaine lettuce
    4 stalks of celery
    5 stalks kale
    2 green apples
    1 whole organic lemon, peeled
    1 inch fresh ginger root, peeled

Beet Juice
    3 beets, trimmed, peeled, and cut into pieces
    2 large carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
    1 green apple, cored, cut into pieces
    5-inch piece of ginger, cut into pieces
    1.5 tablespoons of lemon juice

Dinner is a glass of homemade cashew milk. Daily plan is green juice, water, green lemonade, water, green juice, water, beet juice, water, cashew milk. Rest and repeat the next day.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I know this because I used to be a seriously ****ing funny mother****er
    I just read this whole thread and it's true. You were funnier when you were drinking and eating meat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorKal View Post
    I just read this whole thread and it's true. You were funnier when you were drinking and eating meat.
    I would laugh at this but I have no idea if it's funny. I just don't know anymore.

mtbr member
    Everyone still juicing? I'm still juicing almost daily as a supplement to eating and haven't tried a juice fast yet. At least I'm figuring which vegetables tastes good... and what makes the poop really colorful...

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My juicer is a few thousand km away from me atm, so, no juicing.

The taste part, I wouldn't rely on the raw flavor or the juice. At least to me, cooked veggies (even if only boiled) taste way way better than their raw counterpart. You may end up getting an idea of what juices you enjoy, which is a big plus in case you want to go on a juice fast.

I dunno why the colorful part is a reality, never had that problem...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I still juice most days for breakfast. So far keeping the weight that I lost during the juice fast off. I'm trying to loose a few more pounds but seem to be stuck at my current weight so might have to start replacing 2 meals a day instead of just 1. But yeah, I like juicing, I think its a good way to make sure I'm getting enough greens/veggies in my diet.

ask
    user
    I have not yet done the fast... but I borrowed a juicer a couple months back and ended up buying an Omega VeRT 350HD juicer in January. We have been using it on a daily basis since the beginning of the year to supplement our food intake. I feel pretty good and will probably do a full fast sometime soon. Tough to find a window of time w/o any food related events to do a longer fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Everyone still juicing? I'm still juicing almost daily as a supplement to eating and haven't tried a juice fast yet. At least I'm figuring which vegetables tastes good... and what makes the poop really colorful...
    I am still juicing for sure, got the SO into it too. As far as health and wellness I have been feeling amazing, I am now under 180 (down from 214) and the weight it still slipping off. I typically juice for breakfast and lunch and eat regular dinner. All home cooked food since the end of December (no packaged food/preservatives etc. no fast food and no junk.) I did have to make sure I was getting enough calories, sodium and protein... despite eating as much veggies as I want I was from time to time getting lightheaded upon standing, handful of peanuts a day - problem solved.

mtbr member
    My gf and I are still juicing a good bit. Went on a very strict juice fast a few weeks ago with very regimented juicings but have been more laid back about it over the last few weeks. Started making crazy juice concoctions that end up tasting awesome.

GF made a juice with red peppers, grapefruit, and ginger the other day, awesome! I made one this morning with pears, carrots, beets, and mint leaves from the garden, worked out well. She's got some idea about mixing cucumber with lemongrass for a juice experiment this week. We're lucky to have an awesome farmers market nearby so it's cheap enough to buy 10lb bags of beets, carrots, and huge piles of greens.

PRETENDURO
    With a pricetag of well more than $500, my Vitamix sees use at least two times per week. Cannot afford NOT to use it.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Yes, still very much going strong. I have been starting every morning with a quart of juice and eat at lunch and dinner. Not losing weight doing this but maintaining constant weight and feel great. I caught that cold/flu a couple weeks back and it lasted all but 2 days. Not sure if it's all the nutrients I am plying my body with or if I just caught a weak version of the bug but happy it passed so fast.

Have been also experiment with lots of different veggies. A jalapeno really gives the juice a kick. Also digging cilantro, Bok Choi, ginger, sweet potatoes (verdict is still out on that one), jicama, strawberries, pineapple core...lots of cool ****. The Super Angel is awesome1 Next fast is coming in July...plan to do it better this next time around.

HTFU!

Still Juicing

Gone from ~190 to ~170. My goal is still to juice during the day and eat a sensible meal (with two treats a week). Admittedly, I have been cheating a bit more often with sometimes juicing just in the a.m. and snacking with greek yogurts, trailmix etc. On the plus side, I have been exercising more and so my weight is been staying steady in the low 170's. Getting ready to gear up for another push to get into the low 160's.
    Loving my Breville Juice Fountain JE98XL, easy to use, easy to clean and only $120 at BB&B (w/20% coupon).

Veggie Juice Fast:  Bike friendly diet that works-005.jpg

mtbr member
    Gone from ~190 to ~170. My goal is still to juice during the day and eat a sensible meal (with two treats a week). Admittedly, I have been cheating a bit more often with sometimes juicing just in the a.m. and snacking with greek yogurts, trailmix etc. On the plus side, I have been exercising more and so my weight is been staying steady in the low 170's. Getting ready to gear up for another push to get into the low 160's.
    Loving my Breville Juice Fountain JE98XL, easy to use, easy to clean and only $120 at BB&B (w/20% coupon).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	773276
    Dude, take those wet socks off and you're sub 170! Awesome job. (I also cheat from time to time...especially a day after a big booze)

Evolutionsverlierer
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    I have not yet done the fast... but I borrowed a juicer a couple months back and ended up buying an Omega VeRT 350HD juicer in January. We have been using it on a daily basis since the beginning of the year to supplement our food intake. I feel pretty good and will probably do a full fast sometime soon. Tough to find a window of time w/o any food related events to do a longer fast.
    How do you like the Omega 350?
    On amazon they are complaining about the spout design clogging up to easily,
    I looked at it at a store and looks like it could clog up easy but who knows.

I returned the Omega 8004 I choose 3 times because it did not work properly
    and am back using my GF's old jucieman jr and a blender.

ask
    user

Omega VeRT 350HD

Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    How do you like the Omega 350?
    On amazon they are complaining about the spout design clogging up to easily,
    I looked at it at a store and looks like it could clog up easy but who knows.

I think I have clogged up the VeRT juicer 2x in about 5 weeks and I use it 1 to 2x per day. The first clog was with large stalks of Chard... rookie mistake. The second was with an overly ripe / stringy pineapple... also my fault. Similar problem to the chard.... too much soft/fibrous material at once. Overall if you alternate textures in the juicer it works very well and does not clog. IE alternate between fibrous (kale, chard, etc) and more firm/grainy items (apple, carrot, cucumbers, etc), then the juicer works like a champ.

I really like the Omega VeRT juicer... small footprint, quick/easy to clean, slow rpm (low froth/heat), and very dry waste material. It is also much easier to feed than the Juiceman... we borrowed a Juiceman classic. The VeRT pulls items into the auger the items vs needing to force items in w/ a plunger. Also the VeRT has a wiper mechanism that clears the screen as it runs, so there is less need to scrub fibers out of the screen during cleanup.

My advice is get it at Bed Bath and Beyond... use a 20% off coupon (they will honor them on almost any item... even expired or exempt brands)... use it for a couple weeks. Return it if you don't like it. They will take almost any return.

Here is a good video to watch regarding clogging the Omega... this guy is a bit over zealous / serious juice fan. He also goes a little overboard with cutting items into tiny chucks and going super slow IMO. I have found that you don't have to wait this long or cut up items so much

Last bit of advice... run water though the unit after you are done using it. The water helps make cleanup a bit quicker and clears out the last bit of material. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Great advice about alternating textures. I actually like combining textures, seems to get more juice and reduce clogging. I'll normally put a stalk of celery or a carrot in side of the opening while the other half of the opening is filled with romaine/kale. Really just anything solid to go in with the leafy fibrous veggies, apples/pears, carrots/celery, cucumbers. Too many stalks of greens and our cheapo braun juicer will get really bogged down.

Has anyone had success with rejuicing the pulp to get more juice? Apparently you can get a ton more juice by running the pulp through again but I ended up getting less than half a cup and making a mess the last time I made 32+oz of juice.

mtbr member
    Admittedly I didnt read the whole thread but I did scan it..

I dont see the benefit of juicing except to get fresh, delicous juice. For that I totally get it.

But...it looks to me that when you juice your losing the fiber and some of the nutrients, but keeping all the sugars and calories.

So for those that are juicing up recipes like apples,kale, and cucumbers...whatever, why not just eat those items in their raw state? Your keeping the nutrients and fiber.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhack View Post

I dont see the benefit of juicing except to get fresh, delicous juice. For that I totally get it.

But...it looks to me that when you juice your losing the fiber and some of the nutrients, but keeping all the sugars and calories.

So for those that are juicing up recipes like apples,kale, and cucumbers...whatever, why not just eat those items in their raw state? Your keeping the nutrients and fiber.
    The idea of the fasting is to avoid fibre, solids and whatnot so that your digestive system can shut down. If you eat the fruits, you'll need to digest them. At least I got more energy in the days I fasted compared to now, the average day.

I lost some weight (regained some of it, the food in the "plumbings" weights something), felt good, and realized some of the things I used to eat are not that sensible. I'll probably do it again, but instead of 10 days, I'll do a shorter period, like 5 days, but with a proper introduction (3 days before I start adjusting my diet). Bear in mind I'm vegetarian, so it isn't that much different in terms of what to buy, but more about eating raw stuff (and avoid the snacks... it doesn't matter how many diets I do, I always end up buying some sort of crisps or whatever a few weeks later. Luckily now I get healthier snacks, and even started making my own muffins and cookies with way less sugar, and made with whole flour etc etc)

So, in short, the difference between eating and drinking is the digestion

mtbr member
    The biggest advantage of doing a juice fast is that you give your digestive system a break by getting all of the nutrients from the vegetables and fruits in an easy to digest liquid form. You can intake the nutrients from several platefuls of veggies in a glass or two of juice. All the fiber does is slow down your digestion and make your body work harder to break down the food and extract the nutrients. The thought is that your body burns so much energy through digestion that could be spent healing tissue or fighting infections and diseases.

Going raw vegan with the fast puts your body into a different digestive process as well where you start to burn fat for fuel rather than sugars/carbs in your belly. Most of the talk in this thread has been about a lot of green juice with very little fruit added. Green veggies work wonders to put your body into a alkaline state which allows your immune system to work better. There are a ton of benefits to lowering the acidity of your body, faster muscle recovery being one of the biggies among the athletic community.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G_g View Post
    The idea of the fasting is to avoid fibre, solids and whatnot so that your digestive system can shut down. If you eat the fruits, you'll need to digest them. At least I got more energy in the days I fasted compared to now, the average day.

I lost some weight (regained some of it, the food in the "plumbings" weights something), felt good, and realized some of the things I used to eat are not that sensible. I'll probably do it again, but instead of 10 days, I'll do a shorter period, like 5 days, but with a proper introduction (3 days before I start adjusting my diet). Bear in mind I'm vegetarian, so it isn't that much different in terms of what to buy, but more about eating raw stuff (and avoid the snacks... it doesn't matter how many diets I do, I always end up buying some sort of crisps or whatever a few weeks later. Luckily now I get healthier snacks, and even started making my own muffins and cookies with way less sugar, and made with whole flour etc etc)

So, in short, the difference between eating and drinking is the digestion
    I will add that you can only eat so many carrots and such in one meal. For me, juicing gives me the ability to ingest massive amounts of pure nutrients from a wide variety of sources (kale, carrots, bell peppers, cucs, etc) in one sitting without having to contend with the fiber which I can get throughout the rest of my day. The actual fast is awesome but does require zero fiber so you can heal, detoxify and reallocate energy...the juice allows you to get nutrients so you can stay healthy and energetic. Highly recommend or check out some of the movies/books mentioned throughout the thread.

mtbr member
    Ah ok I get it..interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Evolutionsverlierer
    @ ask, thanks for the info and yes that guy is a little out there.
    I was not thinking BB&B would give you 20% off on such a expensive item,
    but with that discount that juicer gets close to the price of the 8004 so I might go for it.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhack View Post

There is no scientific evidence for "detox" or "giving your digestive system a rest". It needs to rest like your heart needs to rest. The majority of "energy" used in digestion is not from physically pushing solid food thru the system, but happens on a microscopic level, e.g. breaking down proteins into amino acid, converting amino acids into sugars, sugars into fats, etc.

Keep in mind that there are two types of fiber:soluble and insoluble. The former carries nutrients with it and gets absorbed by the body. The latter gives your intestinal lining the scrubbing it needs to slough off cells in its normal process of rejuvenation.

Most food nuts have seen the Lustig lecture "Sugar: The bitter truth", where he ironically states that "fructose is a toxin... But fruit is ok!" Fruit is basically fructose, plus some fiber (a buffer of sorts) and nutrients. IF you "juice" an apple, pear, grape, etc, you now have the same commodity sugar water filler that you see in most grocery store juices. A no-fiber fructose veggie drink is like Gatorade with a Centrum.

With that being said, there are a lot of benefits to juicing or even blending. One is getting a micronutrient punch to the face. Another is that it's faster and easier than cooking. Also, you can power down disgusting things that you normally wouldn't eat, like beets, bitter greens, celery stalks, etc.

There's really only two things I recommend against. One is going on a full-time zero-fiber fast. The other is believing some of the pseudoscience behind it.

mtbr member
    There is no scientific evidence for "detox" or "giving your digestive system a rest". It needs to rest like your heart needs to rest. The majority of "energy" used in digestion is not from physically pushing solid food thru the system, but happens on a microscopic level, e.g. breaking down proteins into amino acid, converting amino acids into sugars, sugars into fats, etc.

Keep in mind that there are two types of fiber:soluble and insoluble. The former carries nutrients with it and gets absorbed by the body. The latter gives your intestinal lining the scrubbing it needs to slough off cells in its normal process of rejuvenation.

Most food nuts have seen the Lustig lecture "Sugar: The bitter truth", where he ironically states that "fructose is a toxin... But fruit is ok!" Fruit is basically fructose, plus some fiber (a buffer of sorts) and nutrients. IF you "juice" an apple, pear, grape, etc, you now have the same commodity sugar water filler that you see in most grocery store juices. A no-fiber fructose veggie drink is like Gatorade with a Centrum.

With that being said, there are a lot of benefits to juicing or even blending. One is getting a macronutrient punch to the face. Another is that it's faster and easier than cooking. Also, you can power down disgusting things that you normally wouldn't eat, like beets, bitter greens, celery stalks, etc.

There's really only two things I recommend against. One is going on a full-time zero-fiber fast. The other is believing some of the pseudoscience behind it.
    Excuse me while I put on this broken record...one sec.

Science or not, I did the fast and know personally MANY who have as well...results were dramatic, verifiable, and visible. Everyone I know who has tried this correctly have been thoroughly impressed with the results and the ease with which to accomplish. Give it a shot and tell me it's fake...I think you will be hard pressed to prove me wrong. Or don't. Whatever. I get your MO. Last response from me to you but I do think your icon is funny.

Save Jesus
    I dunno why you need to be defensive, as your experience doesn't disprove anything I said. e.g. "feeling great and full of energy" does not prove the existence of "detox" and "intestinal resting". And nothing I said implies that eating liquid veggies is bad.

PRETENDURO
    Frikkin’ Vita Mix suddenly stopped working tonight. Fortunately it’d almost made a perfect smoothie consistency (a little more blending time would have been optimal) before crapping out. Just plain stopped working. Unplugged it, let it sit for a few minutes, plugged it back in, still no workie. The real sh¡tter is that we’ve had it for just a bit more than one month, and have used it perhaps just a dozen times. It has a 7-year warranty, I just hope we can take it back to Costco for a replacement without having to deal with the “send back the unit to the manufacturer and wait with your fingers crossed for six weeks while we try to find a reason to try and pin the blame on you, the consumer” .

mtbr member
    Here is a good video to watch regarding clogging the Omega... this guy is a bit over zealous / serious juice fan. He also goes a little overboard with cutting items into tiny chucks and going super slow IMO. I have found that you don't have to wait this long or cut up items so much
    I have VRT350 as well and use to get clogging with celery until I saw that youtube video that you posted. The guy recommends chopping the celery into 1/8 to 1/4 inch pieces and that solved the clogging. It's all in the prep work, once it is done properly like you said gravity feeds everything through, I almost never use the plunger.

One thing I notice, after juicing when I need to remove the bowl from the motor unit I have to whack the feeder outlet hard counterclockwise to get it to release. Does yours release any easier?

Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    @ ask, thanks for the info and yes that guy is a little out there.
    I was not thinking BB&B would give you 20% off on such a expensive item,
    but with that discount that juicer gets close to the price of the 8004 so I might go for it.
    Yep, I used the 20% coupon from BB&B.

ask
    user
    One thing I notice, after juicing when I need to remove the bowl from the motor unit I have to whack the feeder outlet hard counterclockwise to get it to release. Does yours release any easier?
    Mine does this too... seemed like it took a few weeks for the bowl to get tight though. When I first bought it, the bowl was not as tight. Since then I guess I had gotten used to / forgotten about it. This would be my one criticism of this juicer. Other than that, (like you said) once you get the prep down, it rocks!

mtbr member
    Mine does this too... seemed like it took a few weeks for the bowl to get tight though. When I first bought it, the bowl was not as tight. Since then I guess I had gotten used to / forgotten about it. This would be my one criticism of this juicer. Other than that, (like you said) once you get the prep down, it rocks!
    Good to know, mines been like that from the beginning. At least there's a 10 year warranty on the juicer. Thanks.

HTFU!

With that being said, there are a lot of benefits to juicing or even blending. One is getting a micronutrient punch to the face. Another is that it's faster and easier than cooking. Also, you can power down disgusting things that you normally wouldn't eat, like beets, bitter greens, celery stalks, etc.

When I first started researching 'juicing detox' years ago I could not find much if any scientific evidence supporting it (doctors etc). Today, not a lot has changed. The difference though, is now you can find the many more experiences of people who have actually done it and testify to the results. This time around I actually researched the people who wrote articles disputing juicing and found many to be writers for a health column or magazine, with no nutritional background, or nutritionists and doctors who only cautioned the dangers. Most were very old and clearly out of touch...no offense to old, out of touch people (ie. one being a retired AF doctor who has written a few articles themed against juicing). Many articles have quotes with links, many of them to newspaper/web articles written by writers, not scientists. Many articles also have the popular quote that there is no scientific evidence supporting the benefits of juicing... Of course it is not pointed out that there is no scientific study disputing the touted benefits of juicing. Because Juicing can be bad for some (diabetics etc.) in this litigious society, I can see why some medical professionals would warn against it rather than encourage it (as it is not for everyone). Keep in mind it use to 'not' be o.k. to exercise if you had a cold or sinus infection, but science has caught up and determined that it is likely to do not harm.
    I guess my point is, don't knock it till you tried it. I have tried it, and I have lost a ton of weight (or about a hundredth of a ton to be more exact). As far as just detoxing, I can agree that it is less likely to help as it is a temporary gig, that, like any fad diet, won't be useful unless it is followed by a lifestyle change. I (and many others) have made juicing part of a lifestyle (one or two meal replacement) that when combined with a healthy meal, will certainly lead to weight loss or better health (for many reasons). As humans, our bodies are made to eat (mainly veggies) so that should not be taken away (as you stated, fiber is a good thing), but in today's society of processed foods, meat over-consumption, steroids and bio-engineered foods, I see juicing as only positive as there is no way I could eat all the veggies I juice (though I agree that one 'would' lose weight if they just ate the veggies).
    Of course the juicing bandwagon is not for everyone. No need to jump on...no need to knock those that do.

Now let's ride!

Save Jesus
    I guess my point is, don't knock it till you tried it.
    I did not "knock it". I am only knocking the pseudo-scientific reasons attributed to its success. Somewhere along the way, people "made up" reasons why juicing works, and because they have awesome results, they think it was due to those reasons. I could equally "make up" reasons and say the awesome results are due to eating raw chlorophyll.

Two pages ago I spelled out reasons why I think juicing works well for people, namely the major shift in micro- and macro-nutrient composition in diet, etc, and this at least has semblance of scientific backing. I also proposed that if one thinks that the results are due to "detox" and "intestinal resting", there is another diet that also provides that, and they should try this much easier version to see if they wouldn't still feel awesome.

I have very little doubt that if I got off my thin but hypocritical ass and actually ate more vegetables, whether juiced, blended, steamed, sauteed, or fried and surrounded by meats and fats to increase palatability, I would also feel more awesome. However, I am not going to go on a full-time no-fiber juice diet. I come from an ancient culture with medical history going back thousands of years, where the elders like to ask at the dinner table, "How have you been pooping recently?" Thus I give the squinty eye emoticon to any eating style that will have me squirting out the most vile goo imaginable.

HTFU!
    I come from an ancient culture with medical history going back thousands of years, where the elders like to ask at the dinner table, "How have you been pooping recently?" Thus I give the squinty eye emoticon to any eating style that will have me squirting out the most vile goo imaginable.
    Then you definitely DON"T want to try my morning 'beet' glory recipe. That first poop gave me these eyes -->

I know...TMI.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Frikkin’ Vita Mix suddenly stopped working tonight. Fortunately it’d almost made a perfect smoothie consistency (a little more blending time would have been optimal) before crapping out. Just plain stopped working. Unplugged it, let it sit for a few minutes, plugged it back in, still no workie. The real sh¡tter is that we’ve had it for just a bit more than one month, and have used it perhaps just a dozen times. It has a 7-year warranty, I just hope we can take it back to Costco for a replacement without having to deal with the “send back the unit to the manufacturer and wait with your fingers crossed for six weeks while we try to find a reason to try and pin the blame on you, the consumer” .
    Costco will take it back, with no issue. We're on our 7th iRobot Roomba in 5 years. We've had our vitamix for a couple years, using it almost daily for the past 6 months, it's still going strong

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    Costco will take it back, with no issue. We're on our 7th iRobot Roomba in 5 years. We've had our vitamix for a couple years, using it almost daily for the past 6 months, it's still going strong
    Funny thing happened many hours later last night… I decided to plug it in and power it on again and it is functioning just fine. Not sure WTF to think now. I guess it just needed to “cool down” since the basic smoothie I had it make was too much for it—not as if I were trying to break up tree branches with it or anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was thinking about a fast at the beginning of this thread but at 5'9" 145 I'm not sure I need to lose 15lbs. Maybe that beanbag is onto something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Funny thing happened many hours later last night… I decided to plug it in and power it on again and it is functioning just fine. Not sure WTF to think now. I guess it just needed to “cool down” since the basic smoothie I had it make was too much for it—not as if I were trying to break up tree branches with it or anything.
    Were you by any chance running it at the variable speed for an extended period of time? Some of the Vitamix machines do not cool their motors efficiently when run at variable speed, which is why you should switch the left switch up to High when making smoothies. If you were running it on High and it happens again then there's something weird going on and you should probably take it in because it shouldn't overheat making normal smoothies.
    Last edited by Joy of Blending; 02-22-2013 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2000 View Post
    I was thinking about a fast at the beginning of this thread but at 5'9" 145 I'm not sure I need to lose 15lbs. Maybe that beanbag is onto something.
    My wife weighs all but 98 lbs and she recently finished her first 5 day fast with 3 day pre-diet (all veggies with the fiber) and a 7 day ramp up. She lost something like 5lbs total. It's not a starvation and you'll only lose the fat you don't need. Give it a try...you won't regret it! Also, above, I think your spell check turned 'on' into 'onto'.

mtbr member

Veggie Juice Fast: Bike friendly diet that works

I did the deal vitamix style for 10 days, followed by 2 weeks juice for breakfast/ lunch. I only lost 5 lbs, but it's stayed off and I'm losing approx 1 lb/week. Just by juicing in am and paleo-ish dinners for lunch/dinner. My rating is 100% healthier. So thanks to Squashyo, although I still think vegans/vegetarians have some latent homosexual issues
    Not that there is anything wrong with it. I noticed the more veggies I eat the more Lady Gaga I listen to-just sayin

Evolutionsverlierer
    I am a Vegetarian for over 15 years and never had the urge to listen to the lady,
    your mind was maybe just too clouded by the non veggie food so that you did not realize that you like her.

mtbr member

Maybe, in Colorado skiing, getting in touch with my meat eating, republican roots, who says vegs don't have a sense of humor . Maybe this will help.Veggie Juice Fast:  Bike friendly diet that works-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361584450.570195.jpg
    Or this
    Veggie Juice Fast:  Bike friendly diet that works-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361584471.818701.jpg

mtbr member

Maybe, in Colorado skiing, getting in touch with my meat eating, republican roots,
    who says vegs don't have a sense of humor . Maybe this will help.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361584450.570195.jpg 
Views:	1038 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	774573
    Or this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361584471.818701.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	774574

mtbr member
    While, admittedly, my wife does look like a small Asian boy when she wears a baseball cap on backwards, the ingesting of carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, and other phallic vegetables does not prevent me from obsessing over the Veejayjay and the Tee-Tahtahs. Though I do feel I may be a lesbian trapped inside a male body.

mtbr member

Uh oh duplicates, glad everyone has a sense of humor. Rumor is Squashyos not funny anymore and I'm stuck in Denver airport for 2 mo hours with the wife and daughters. PS watching that juicing vid didn't help.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I come from an ancient culture with medical history going back thousands of years, where the elders like to ask at the dinner table, "How have you been pooping recently?" Thus I give the squinty eye emoticon to any eating style that will have me squirting out the most vile goo imaginable.
    That never happened to me... I simply had no need to poop from like day 4 to 11 or so (it took me like 2 days after I restarted eating to need to poop again). I did piss like a horse, since I should be drinking over a gallon a day (3 juices, each one around 2 pints, would give me over half a gallon. Plus the water, tea, and protein shakes, close to 1,5 gallons a day. That is a lot of water, but I guess there is no real reason for one to poop if one is eating no waste. Maybe my juicer yielded even drier pulp, which mean close to no fibre, giving no solid waste?)

Another thing, was zero farts and zero borborigmos while on the fast. Apparently my lactose intolerance is a lot bigger after the fast than it was before. Not that one should drink much milk anyway, and there are still lactose-free variants if I really want it. I have no problem with cheese or yoghurt

mtbr member
    Day two for me on this cleanse, great thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I watched Joe’s movie about six months ago and tried the 30 day challenge.
    Here was my experience.
    I was raised on meat and potatoes with large amounts of milk. In fact, between my brother and Dad and I, we drank about a gallon a day. This continued into my adult life well into my 30s. Recently my Dad passed away having all kinds of health issues associated with eating habits. Diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, etc. About two years ago a doctor told me I had high blood pressure. Without realizing, I had taken the same road as my Dad.
    Instead of taking pills, I bought a bike. It helped that I have a lot of great trails accessible from my garage. Although I felt better initially, I hadn’t made enough change in my life to make a difference. Not enough riding combined with the same old eating habits. Something needed to permanently change.
    So, I tried the juicing system for a month knowing full well it wasn’t going to be permanent. One month of inconvenience. To be quite honest, it’s a pain in the ass. All the trips to the store or farmers market to keep us in fruit and vegetables (my wife did it with me), quickly became tedious. The cravings were big. I wanted chips and salsa so bad I found myself hiding at work with a handful of Tostitos. I felt like I was hiding a heroine habit.
    Overall, I stayed with the juice for a month. Because it was over the holidays, I had the occasional meal. I’ll admit, it was tough. Deep seated social eating habits.
    The month went by and I came out of it fairly happy. I’m not constantly sucking in my gut. I look to healthier choices instead of a Double Double with grilled onions. The biggest change I made that had the biggest impact was eliminating the dairy products. I have completely eliminated milk from my life. Many of you are saying, “well duh!” Unfortunately, it’s a staple for many people. Breakfast cereal was my favorite meal of every day. It’s gone. I started at about 240 pounds. Got down pretty close to 200. Bounced back up to 215, and I’m currently at 210. Mind you I’m just over 6’2”. I still have at least one juice a day and for the most part regular food otherwise. My blood pressure issue is gone. Waking up without headaches is the best part of normal blood pressure. My riding has increased partly due to my overall improved health.
    After the initial period, there’s nothing wrong with going back and visiting some of the foods you really like. You just have to decide whether or not they need to be in your everyday life.
    Would I do this again? Yes. Would there be any hesitation? No. For all the misgivings, it’s just worth it. It simply works. It’s fruit and vegetables. That’s it. If nothing else, it's 2 weeks to 30 days. You’re already going to the store.
    If you're reading this thread and contemplating whether or not to give it a shot, here were my pros and cons.
    Cons
    -Expensive-The machine and the fruit and vegetables are initially expensive.
    -Tedious. Lots and lots of juicing. When looking at juicers, find one that makes juicing easier. The Omega I bought has a small mouth making it necessary to cut the food down first.
    Pros.
    -Cost: Too many people out there depend on Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers. This is cheaper works better. No one stays on those diets. It’s easy to integrate juice into every day life-styles.
    -Lots of energy: Daily energy levels on juice is huge. Riding during the first part of the month was sketchy. During the second half of the month and when I transitioned back to regular food with juice, the increased energy was crazy. I drink a juice before and after every ride now.
    -Health advantages. Lots and lots of health advantages to eliminating beef and dairy products. One of my daily staples is bean salads. Haven’t missed beef yet.
    -Easy to adapt into regular life. Many of the juices are very very good.
    -Weight loss. It very quickly, very safely, allows years of weight gain to fall away.
    -All the info you need is online and free.
    -There are alternatives to expensive machines. If you’re interested, send me a message and I’ll shoot you tricks to getting discounts on good machines.
    -People who aren't overweight, gain just as many benefits. Energy alone makes it worth it.

Evolutionsverlierer
    Quote Originally Posted by fast4ward View Post
    I was raised on meat and potatoes with large amounts of milk.
    Sounds very familiar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fast4ward View Post
    -Cost: Too many people out there depend on Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers. This is cheaper works better. No one stays on those diets. It’s easy to integrate juice into every day life-styles.
    I have to reference this every time I talk to anyone about me and how I have started juicing. I have had several people cite that they can just eat xyz or do abc diet or go to the gym more...

I have had to change nothing about my lifestyle except that I have juice for breakfast and lunch over my normal mundane day time meals. I usually am forced to eat like crap because with work and life having nutritious and good meals is challenging monday through friday. In the end, I have great juices during the day, which actually cost me less and I feel and look better in the process.

It is true that my dietary habits have changed after fasting but unlike other fad or crash diets, I am not miserable in doing so, feel like i am hungry all the time or crave my favorite foods all day.

On a second note, I noticed my lady catching a peek with a raised eyebrow as I was stepping out the the shower Saturday morning... I think she's noticing a difference too.

PRETENDURO
    The real thing to consider overall and not just rest on the whole “I use a juicer” notion (I use a juicer, by the way) is to cut out processed foods entirely. If you don’t know where it came from or what’s in it, you really ought to think twice about putting it into your body.

mtbr member
    This last month, I was talked into participating in a food fast. Goal was 7 days living on nothing but veggie juice, tea, and water. I did a lot of research and found that this program is highly regarded as a way to detox the body while gaining significant benefits like weight loss and reducing blood pressure. I was fearful that I would be tired, grumpy, and most importantly, unable to ride my bike...I was wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Even though we are unlikeliest to be called vegetarian, this post was kinda an inspiration for me (trying to get some time to no-dab up Kennedy) & my wife (hiking along). Thank you. These are quite amazing stories.

I've got the whole nine yards starting with several excess bowling balls on me, hypertention, etc. So we tried juices, liked it, and decided to try 1-week juice fast & looks like it's gona happen next week with help of Omega Vert. I might even log it somehow - if I succeed maybe it could help someone else...

I had a look at 3/5/10/15 plans at Joe's site and was a bit surprised that they include not only juice. I'd rather called them light vegie diet than juice fast. Did you use any plan from Joe's site or used juice only like supposedly in his movie?

I am trying to bike 4 times a week - thue/thu/sat/sun. I am not in the 20/40 Kennedy leage, rather 45/90 with several not even dabs but full blown rests, neither I am an SS beast as some around here. Up to 15mi/2500ft MTB or 30-50mi road trips are quite a load for my 5'7"/235 at 47. Trying to think about energy for these rides during juice fast makes me really uneasy.

Puro Vida!

Right on Bashtan! Keep up the good work. Keep up the riding and it'll get better-you may never become one if these KOM killers-but riding will be easier and you'll get healthier. I'm trying to-seems like I've been trying for a while now and I've come to the conclusion that I'm happy to ride and just be out there on my bike. Always nice to ride with guys on TSP since they share the same feelings. Hope you keep riding and eating better. I tried this out and felt better, just need to ride a lil more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashtan View Post
    Even though we are unlikeliest to be called vegetarian, this post was kinda an inspiration for me (trying to get some time to no-dab up Kennedy) & my wife (hiking along). Thank you. These are quite amazing stories.

I've got the whole nine yards starting with several excess bowling balls on me, hypertention, etc. So we tried juices, liked it, and decided to try 1-week juice fast & looks like it's gona happen next week with help of Omega Vert. I might even log it somehow - if I succeed maybe it could help someone else...

I had a look at 3/5/10/15 plans at Joe's site and was a bit surprised that they include not only juice. I'd rather called them light vegie diet than juice fast. Did you use any plan from Joe's site or used juice only like supposedly in his movie?

I am trying to bike 4 times a week - thue/thu/sat/sun. I am not in the 20/40 Kennedy leage, rather 45/90 with several not even dabs but full blown rests, neither I am an SS beast as some around here. Up to 15mi/2500ft MTB or 30-50mi road trips are quite a load for my 5'7"/235 at 47. Trying to think about energy for these rides during juice fast makes me really uneasy.
    Awesome man. Keep it up and I am sure you will run into one of us up that beast someday...Ancient Rascal is a totally cool dude and he is up there everyday it seems.

I did not follow Joes plan but I am sure it's good. My fast was absolutely fiber free which made for lots of energy and detoxification benefits (everything is at rest so things can heal). After a few days, you will find you have great energy. Just bring some veggie juice with you and you should be a-Ok. I did a few long 2000ft climbs on my fast and had no problems. I bit more tired those evenings but highly manageable. Fasting with veggie juice does not mean you will be lacking in energy...quite the opposite in my case. Just be prepared to have LOTS of fresh/good juice available...limit the fruits.

If you REALLY want to do it right, read this book and follow the guide: The Fasting Diet: Steven Bailey: 9780658011450: Amazon.com: Books A pre-fast diet really makes for a better experience and the ease back stage is beneficial as well. Many people just jump right in (myself included) and wish they had prepped better at the start.

Keep me posted (PM if you want) as I am interested to hear how it goes.

mtbr member
    On day 3 of the Reboot w/Joe 3-day juice fast. 1st two days I felt weak. Today I feel a bit more back to normal and will even do some exercising. I typically weight 144-146 and my weigh in this morning was 140. I know I'll gain some weight back once I'm on solid food again but I can't remember the last time I saw 140 on the scale.

Puro Vida!

So my fiancé was able to burn out a Vitamix! Don't ask-I told her to take it easy on it when she was placing the veggies in it-
    So we went and got a slow juicer-a Hurlow I think it is-but see the Omega has a longer warranty. Costco does sell the Hurlow file 299 and is a great place to make returns if need be-so debating on which one-both are basically the same-made in the same factory. Where can I get a BB&B coupon if we go for the Omega-anyone know? I signed up online for the one time free one and never for it.

mtbr member
    I went to the doc yesterday for a consultation on a penis reduction surgery that I have been thinking about for YEARS. I hadn't been in to see him since I started the diet change. Blood pressure is completely normal after 5 months and kept the weight off. All of my other ailments have also gone away and sleeping great! I juice every morning now and I tend to seek out better foods at restaurants. I took big leap and quit drinking booze too. I miss getting drunk but I like feeling healthy better. Once I get my over-sized penis under control, I will be a new man.

Hope to start a new fast in a month or so and a bigger one in July.

Great job thatdrewguy and Nelson...I still owe you some money! Maybe sign up for their newsletters...I get them in the mail from time to time.

Bashtan...did you ever take the leap? Curious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    Where can I get a BB&B coupon if we go for the Omega-anyone know? I signed up online for the one time free one and never for it.
    We get at least one BBB coupon a week in the snail mail mailbox... do you not receive spam mail? if you seriously cannot come up on one let me know I will like mail you a bunch.

Puro Vida!

I guess not from them? I think I used to, but looked around the house and nada! Maybe today-I think Wednesdays are junk mail days? If not-ill take you up on that offer for one-

HTFU!
    I went to the doc yesterday for a consultation on a penis reduction surgery that I have been thinking about for YEARS. I hadn't been in to see him since I started the diet change. Blood pressure is completely normal after 5 months and kept the weight off. All of my other ailments have also gone away and sleeping great! I juice every morning now and I tend to seek out better foods at restaurants. I took big leap and quit drinking booze too. I miss getting drunk but I like feeling healthy better. Once I get my over-sized penis under control, I will be a new man.
    Talk about being desperate to drop some grams.
    Be careful with that surgery. I had the same procedure and sadly they took off a little too much. Good thing I have been married for a while and was not using it anyway. I recommend bringing in an ESI or whatever grip you use, for the doc to reference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I jumped on that new fad "Intermittent fasting" and have great results - still drink, eat steak, ice cream, PIZZA dairy you name it (had 3 double chodoclate brownies and a huge bowl of the kids cereal after dinner that pissed off the wife last night) Just do it in my "eating window" great job on the "juicing" but for me life is too short I love to eat what ya'll are giving up LoL

just another means to an end I suppose

results after about 9 months of IF

Keiths Iphone Pics Feb8 2013 2336 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

mtbr member
    For me, life is too short to enter old age tired, sick, and out of shape. I want to be able to send it when I'm 60...heck 70+. That wasn't going to happen at the pace I was going. Feel good about the direction I am taking this even if it means giving up decadent moments. You say Fad but I say results.

Then again, I'll probably end up getting hit by a bus so maybe you are on to something.

mtbr member
    Bashtan...did you ever take the leap? Curious.
    Sorry, missed the question - "did not get a memo".

I wasn't feeling entirely comfortable, our son was coming for spring break from UCB... So, we decided to take your advice, buy the book (got it yesterday), study it (enema does not seem exciting) and then proceed. In the meantime, as I really got bought into the idea, I tried to play with it, replace breakfast, lunch or even both with juices (veggie or mix with fruit juices), continuing riding bike - just checking how it's gonna be.

Well... Last Sunday I went up Kennedy and it was kinda OKish up to the tree. But than it went really fast downhill - at some point just raising my arm would raise HR by several beats. Mounting on the bike after some rest would hike HR 15-20 beats. I was devastated looking at these changes in HR and feeling completely exhausted. I ended up walking last 2 walls and even preceding hill.

So, I figured maybe I'll just ride road bike around "Kannon/Shennady" during the fast and will not do any MTB rides for the time. But overall I came to the conclusion that it is possible and I can do the juice fast (not sure about water fast, though it seems to make more sense).

Did not do juice lunch for couple last days and kinda missing it already... Tomorrow getting back on juice lunch. Current schedule - send the kid back to UCB this weekend and start pre-fast preparation next Friday, than starting Monday - the fast. Still debating the length of the fast to be planned - 5 days or more.

mtbr member
    Sorry, missed the question - "did not get a memo".

I wasn't feeling entirely comfortable, our son was coming for spring break from UCB... So, we decided to take your advice, buy the book (got it yesterday), study it (enema does not seem exciting) and then proceed. In the meantime, as I really got bought into the idea, I tried to play with it, replace breakfast, lunch or even both with juices (veggie or mix with fruit juices), continuing riding bike - just checking how it's gonna be.

Well... Last Sunday I went up Kennedy and it was kinda OKish up to the tree. But than it went really fast downhill - at some point just raising my arm would raise HR by several beats. Mounting on the bike after some rest would hike HR 15-20 beats. I was devastated looking at these changes in HR and feeling completely exhausted. I ended up walking last 2 walls and even preceding hill.

So, I figured maybe I'll just ride road bike around "Kannon/Shennady" during the fast and will not do any MTB rides for the time. But overall I came to the conclusion that it is possible and I can do the juice fast (not sure about water fast, though it seems to make more sense).

Did not do juice lunch for couple last days and kinda missing it already... Tomorrow getting back on juice lunch. Current schedule - send the kid back to UCB this weekend and start pre-fast preparation next Friday, than starting Monday - the fast. Still debating the length of the fast to be planned - 5 days or more.
    Happy to see you are taking a thoughtful approach rather than just diving in. Doing it right the first time will be a much better experience I thinks.

I really don't think you will need to cut out MT Biking (maybe Kennedy to top...she's a *****. Hit up Priest or Limekiln on the reservoir side...Or Jones Trail off Jones Rd in LG...or Belgatos park or Santa Teresa for good riding without dramatic elevation gain). The fast and the diet you have been on are two completely different animals I believe. You tried to climb Kennedy with your digestion system purging energy reserves and stealing hydration needs. You tried to ride on a diet...not a fast...much tougher and your body will let you know that's not ok. On the fast itself, your internal system will be relatively at rest so you will find you can tackle exercise routines and feel pretty strong in the process. I did multiple 2000ft climbs on my fast and had no issues at all. (I brought veggie juice on my rides to keep me nutrated).

Anyhow, you know your body best but I think you will find that the fast (after the first couple days) will afford you the opportunity to keep riding and hitting the gym. Good luck man and hope the results and experience are positive.

mtbr member
    Pre-fast is through. Interesting experience.

1) Personally I was terrified by 3 tbsp of oil in the morning - it is just way too much. Turned out that lemon + orange + garlic mask it very well.
    2) Oh, boy, the amount of salads to chew these 3 dawas intimidating!
    3) Though slight but constant headache, the wife had serious headache.
    4) Toilet is you friend.

Tuesday/today - 1-st day of fasting. The plan is 5, but who knows how it goes - shorter, longer or on plan. It's quite difficult to tone down sweetness of both, fruit & veggie, juices without lemon/lime/grapefruit. Surely ginger, mint, garlic help a bit, but...

Still debating biking - what and how much. In plans - maybe try to hit St.Joseph/today, Belgatos/Thursday after work. Maybe Kennedy to the tree on Saturday/Sunday, or alternatively and most probably - easier but longer road to Uvas Reservoir and back with 2k' spread along 50 miles.

After reading this thread my main goal was HBP - I'd guess, partially in family, partially due to weight. It's too early to make any conclusions, but maybe BP seems a bit stabilized slightly lower. Weight slowly goes down, but I think I have about 10 "easy pounds" reacquired during the winter, so I do not pay much attention to weight loss above autumn numbers.

mtbr member
    Pre-fast is through. Interesting experience.

1) Personally I was terrified by 3 tbsp of oil in the morning - it is just way too much. Turned out that lemon + orange + garlic mask it very well.
    2) Oh, boy, the amount of salads to chew these 3 dawas intimidating!
    3) Though slight but constant headache, the wife had serious headache.
    4) Toilet is you friend.

Tuesday/today - 1-st day of fasting. The plan is 5, but who knows how it goes - shorter, longer or on plan. It's quite difficult to tone down sweetness of both, fruit & veggie, juices without lemon/lime/grapefruit. Surely ginger, mint, garlic help a bit, but...

Still debating biking - what and how much. In plans - maybe try to hit St.Joseph/today, Belgatos/Thursday after work. Maybe Kennedy to the tree on Saturday/Sunday, or alternatively and most probably - easier but longer road to Uvas Reservoir and back with 2k' spread along 50 miles.

After reading this thread my main goal was HBP - I'd guess, partially in family, partially due to weight. It's too early to make any conclusions, but maybe BP seems a bit stabilized slightly lower. Weight slowly goes down, but I think I have about 10 "easy pounds" reacquired during the winter, so I do not pay much attention to weight loss above autumn numbers.
    Giddyup! Sorry to hear about the headaches...could be the toxins screaming to stay put or the crash from coming off of sugar or caffeine. Hope it gets better...should. Have you noticed an increase in senses particularly smell? I remember that part clearly! Anyhow, make lots of juice and limit the fruits to just flavor your drinks. UDOs oil is also pretty awesome to add...makes the drinks taste a little better and really good for you. It's pricy but sold at WF...I was doing a TBLS per 32 ounce drink or there abouts. Also, filter your drinks with a cheese cloth or something similar...helps reduce the thickness of the drink, less micro pulpy, easier to drink and easier on the absorption. Also, be sure to bring the juice on your rides...helps a lot!

Keep us posted and stoked to hear going for it!

HTFU!
    Well, I fell off the wagon. I hit the juicing hard for Jan. and Feb in what I felt was a sustainable effort by juicing only during the day, allowing for a snack of almonds and walnuts (took away the carb craving) and then a sensible meal in the evening (vegetarian or fish). Got my weight down to the 169-172 range (started at ~190).
    Well, pretty much the last 5-6 weeks, I have stopped juicing. I ran out of veggies one day and just never bought any more (though I kept telling myself I would). So I found myself eating yogurt and fruit in the morning, leftovers for lunch, and a regular dinner (constantly trying to minimize the damage). Eventually I found myself snacking more on cheese n' crackers and chips n' salsa. I also found myself eating dessert more often (especially icecream) including a Leatherby's Banana Split just last weekend...and a lot more Pizza (Pepperoni and Pineapple, my favorite!).
    I also found that I avoided the scale. I really did not want to see what was happening. But alas yesterday, after over 5 weeks off the wagon, I purchased some veggies and had a juice this morning (tomatoes, carrots, kale, spinach, romaine, zucchini, yellow squash, apple, lemon), it was friggin delicious. So much better than I remember. I also stepped on the scale. 170lbs even. Holy $#!%, that is the same measurement I had the last time I weighed myself weeks ago. The whole time I was 'off the wagon' I tried to compensate by exercising more, and though I ate some crap, I tried to keep it in moderation and did not over-indulge like I would in the past. Basically, the two months of daily juicing have rid my of many bad habits and at the same time I have been in a better exercise groove. So today I am beginning the push to get to where I really want to be (the low 160's)...and when I get there, I know it will be sustainable.

On a related note, even though I still have a gut, with the help of the 20lb weight loss, I have seen my PR for the 2 mile Stagecoach climb drop by 3 minutes, same for Clementine and any other climb...and that Stagecoach PR came at the end of a 30 mile, 4500' ride. Tangible & measurable results. Juicing works!

mtbr member
    Awesome breakfast juice today:
    1 pineapple
    1 head of romaine
    2 large handfuls of spinach

That at least was the recipe but had a few strawberries, carrots, and celery that were going bad so I threw them in as well. And some ginger for a little kick. Trying to juice on the mornings that I dont ride in to work and make healthy smoothies on the days that I ride to work since it's a hard 45-55min ride in to the office and juice just doesnt fuel me enough.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1