Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Veggie Juice Fast: Bike friendly diet that works

46K views 411 replies 88 participants last post by  Leopold Porkstacker 
#1 ·
This last month, I was talked into participating in a food fast. Goal was 7 days living on nothing but veggie juice, tea, and water. I did a lot of research and found that this program is highly regarded as a way to detox the body while gaining significant benefits like weight loss and reducing blood pressure. I was fearful that I would be tired, grumpy, and most importantly, unable to ride my bike...I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

So, I bought a kick ass little juicer and gave it a go because forecast called for lots of rain and job stresses were low. I jumped in and, as warned, the first three days were rough but manageable...mostly mental but also the cravings and habits were rough. In the first three days, the body goes through significant detoxification and until everything clears out, the internal organs want to play. After three days though, hunger subsided, energy was at an all time high, and it was easy sailing...so easy in fact that I decided to go an extra 3 days (10 total). The theory here (which I see as completely factual) is that digesting is a highly energy intensive process. When you aren't digesting, your body suddenly has an abundance of down time which it uses to heal, remove crappy stuff, and allocate the energy to other areas. The veggie juice supplies the system with all the nutrients so you don't wain or feel crummy. If anything, I had more energy and perk than I have had in decades. The best part was I was able to go to the gym frequently and got in numerous bike rides including a couple 2000+ foot climbs.

The results: Lost close to 20 Lbs...mostly all of my beer belly. Took my blood pressure down from persistently high (doctor worried) to 120/77 which I believe is normal. I also came away with far less cravings for fat rich foods and more desire for healthy options. It has been almost 2 weeks since ending the fast and I am still sub 180 which is perfect for me. ( I was hitting mid 190s and growing)

Anyhow, I can't recommend this program enough. My buddy is doing 30 days and is a long distant runner. Check out this movie if interested: Fat Sick and Nearly Dead | a Joe Cross Film

My only regret was not following a pre-diet plan which consists of three days prepping the system for the change. I plan to do 2 a year. Anyone else out there try this?

See less See more
#159 ·
I would not call Hungry for change a informercial since they are not really plugging their products like they do in informercials.

I would see that movie more like a easy to digest entree for people who want to change their lifestyle
and do not need full depth information.

Besides, who wants to live forever anyway?
Not me, I just want to cut down on the adult diaper years.

#161 ·
I got a Nutribullet for Xmas. Been eating lots of greens and feeling great because of it.

That afternoon nap that I always feel necessary is no longer there and my winter riding has been very strong.

My wife thinks I'm hilarious because I now just discovered "the vegetable" but I have been telling everyone about it.

Good to hear I'm not the only one going on a health kick

#167 ·
I got a Nutribullet for Xmas. Been eating lots of greens and feeling great because of it.

That afternoon nap that I always feel necessary is no longer there and my winter riding has been very strong.

My wife thinks I'm hilarious because I now just discovered "the vegetable" but I have been telling everyone about it.

Good to hear I'm not the only one going on a health kick
+1 on the nutribullet. I'm loving it.

So much easier than a juicer.

#162 ·
Sounds interesting. It is interesting that after 3 days the hunger cravings subsided some for the OP. I think that there is a withdrawal effect the more you eat and what you eat. I have found that eating big meals, made my hunger increased after the food digested and I got just caveman hunger for the next meal.

#165 ·
I don't but I read that the skin of the beet can be bitter. I have tried peeling this skin but didn't notice any changes. I am told that you should peel Cucumbers if they feel waxy (organic usually does not have this).

#169 ·
Day 3

Just to clarify: I LOVE red meat, don't drive a hybrid and love the smell of race gas and double IPAs:p

I'm on day 3, hopefully I'll see the "break through" shortly. This am, I went for my first ride (El Sereno semi-daily trainer) whilst on the program. I was super sensitive of my energy level after 2 day fast-was about average, though my stomach felt better while riding.

Other observations:
Non-stop pee sessions
Black Tar Turds
The average veggy juice looks like goat diarrhea, but actually tastes a tad better:D
The first few days I was unusually *****y-least I have an excuse:p

#171 ·
Just to clarify: I LOVE red meat, don't drive a hybrid and love the smell of race gas and double IPAs:p

I'm on day 3, hopefully I'll see the "break through" shortly. This am, I went for my first ride (El Sereno semi-daily trainer) whilst on the program. I was super sensitive of my energy level after 2 day fast-was about average, though my stomach felt better while riding.

Other observations:
Non-stop pee sessions
Black Tar Turds
The average veggy juice looks like goat diarrhea, but actually tastes a tad better:D
The first few days I was unusually *****y-least I have an excuse:p
This is awesome you red neck! So, you should start feeling oddly clear headed soon and moments of trippy energy bursts.

One note you may want to consider is that if your juice is diarrhea consistency, you may want to consider running your juice through a filter bag. You want to avoid pulp to a point because you have no fiber scrubbing the walls (notice the film on your teeth yet?). If too pulpy, you may have to work harder to pull nutrients and water into the system thus the 'unusually shitty' feeling. Sorry to say this again but the enema will make you feel much better if you are feeling crappy (ha) in the head. Clears that pulp lining the walls and your body doesn't lack in absorption processes. Keep it up!!! How many days are you shooting for?

#170 ·
Every year my goal was to not gain weight during the holidays. But I always did gain a couple. Then I'd work really hard to get rid of them in Jan-March. This year after watching forks over knives and hungry for change we decided to adopt the veggie life style. I've followed palieo and mostly non gluten for over 2 yrs. We purchased a Vitamix 5200 from Costco for $350. But after you use it a few times it justified the high price. I also downloaded a free app call Myfitnesspal to monitor daily calories. Sounds extreme, but it's very simple to use. Not only does it add up you calories minus your exercise, it gives a summary of your fats/carbs/protein for the day. With the new veggie diet I wanted to see how much protein I was getting. I was surprised to find protein in a lot of different things, including veggies. Quinoa is my new protein staple. In the month of December where I typically gain a couple of lbs, I shed 8 lbs from juicing. I did the Dr Oz 3 day detox Dr. Oz's 3-Day Detox Cleanse One-Sheet | The Dr. Oz Show This will give you everything you need, including the grocery list. I lost 5 lbs just during this process. The second day at dinner time was tough, but the third day was much better. I felt tons of focus and energy. I could have kept going. I'm digging the shakes and so far don't see any down side except for being associated with the hippy connotation. Happy blending.

#175 ·
There is always gonna be naysayers (especially those funded by deep pocketed interest groups on the other side - not saying this guy was but ya never know).

I can only speak for personal experience which seems to be reiterated by others in this thread. Moving towards this diet just works. Can't argue with my highly reduced blood pressure, my 15 lbs weight loss some 30 days after the diet ended, general feeling of energy throughout the day, and this odd six pack under my, much smaller version of, man boobs. ;)

#176 ·
There is always gonna be naysayers (especially those funded by deep pocketed interest groups on the other side - not saying this guy was but ya never know).

I can only speak for personal experience which seems to be reiterated by others in this thread. Moving towards this diet just works. Can't argue with my highly reduced blood pressure, my 15 lbs weight loss some 30 days after the diet ended, general feeling of energy throughout the day, and this odd six pack under my, much smaller version of, man boobs. ;)
My favorite juice fasts consist of celery, cucmbers, strawberries, carrots, romaine lettuce, and just about any other veggies/fruits I can juice. I did my first juice fast in late 2009 and lost 25 lbs in 30 days. Now I am a big guy to begin with, I needed to be as work made me that way. Then I changed jobs (chasing money instead of dreams) and now I am training to re-enter my previous career...I did sporadic juice fasts all of 2010, and felt fantastic. In 2011 I gained 10 lbs, and couldn't really juice fast due to work and other stuff. In 2012, I started again mid year and have lost that 10 lbs and am going for an all time loss of 25 more....that will keep me right at perfect.

I am currently on a month long fast which started on 1-1-13 with the first 3 days slowly weening (salads and light fiber) towards a complete juice fast which will last till months-end.

I have had naysayers saying I need to eat complex carbs and stop juice fasting in order to maintain my health and ride. This one bozo would send me bullcrap photos and articles from unknown sources and tell me that this was the proof. That it is all snakeoil...smoke and mirrors...TBH, I think the guy fried his brain out smoking to much sensi...

The truth is, you have to do what feels right for you. If someone does not like the way you want to live, especially if it is healthy...ask them to start paying your bills and you'll then consider living according to them. Otherwise screw them.

I hope that more mountain bikers consider implementing this into their fitness goals!

Soapbox...over!

#182 ·
too much to read ...BUT I GET MY VITAMIX TOMORROW !!!!!!
Watch out Biaaaches

#184 ·
Funny you should mention that. Earlier this evening I made some blender sludge (using my Cuisinart SmartPower Duet™ since we don't have a proper juicer yet) for my family and I. Well, to get the scrapins' out of the glass, I douched it out with some Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout that I was drinking along side the sludgy treat. Tasted sorta strange, but nonetheless, no plant fiber was wasted. :thumbsup:

#193 ·
This weekend we will do the Hungry for change three day detox program.
I tried the three stage detox from Dr. Schulze once but I bailed during the first stage
because I basiclly moved into the bathroom, I hope this one will be a little less moving.

#194 ·
Very cool! The only thing I don't understand about a three day fast is that that is the hardest part...after three days, it is quite easy to keep going...for weeks actually. The three day will certainly help purge the system but don't shut the door on a longer fast...maybe down the road. Good luck with the 3 day and let us know how it goes!

#196 ·
I have one. Raw Chard. Loaded with nutrients but makes a lot of people sick when eaten raw. I got a scratchy throat every time I was using and my bro-in-law threw up when he tried juicing it. I'd stay away from chard. Also, bananas don't juice.

#198 ·
OK finally started the juice/beer diet.

got my late Xmas present, Vitamix.

Time to experiment.
First try:
Kale
Beet
Spinach
Carrot
Celery
Apple

Not bad but I can do better; filling though.

#199 ·
Lunch:
two leafs of kale, handful of spinach, handful of grapes, half cucumber, quarter apple and some lime juice. Way better

#200 ·
My wife just started her first 5 day fast today. She did a 3 day prep of raw veggies. I have never seen her with so much energy...I am in trouble.

My breakfast: carrots, celery, arugula, cucumber, 3 cloves of garlic, snap peas, raspberries, and one whole orange (with skin). delightful! Wish I could ride today...Stevens Creek run tomorrow.

#205 ·
Not sure it matters as you'll only want to drink so much.
Day 6 for me, I'm 5 lbs lighter and still haven't grown a vag, kissed a goat or bought a hybrid :p

My "plan" differed from SquashYos in that I used a vitamix in lieu of a juicer cuz we have one and I didn't want to spend $200-$1,000 on a juicer I would only occasionally use. There's a lot more sludge to deal with using the vitamix, but many argue that's valuable fiber/vitamins.

I did my 3 daily El Sereno training rides(1,500 ft/7mi) in a row, the first two were about average, the 3rd was really tough. I'm debating whether to go on a longer ride Today or go to the gym and cross train.

I'm not experiencing the whole boundless energy deal, but I'm not suffering from lack of it either. Maybe if i stuck a hose up my butt, that would improve, but ill prolly pass on that phase of my development. I am more clear headed, but not spiritual awakenings to speak of, except of course when I see a bunny or deer and want to rip its head off an eat it raw, just sayin:eek:

#203 ·
I use a Nalgene bottle and go 1:10 juice to water, plus some green powder and alkaline drops. On the fast, I drink about 6 of these a day. When I'm eating, it's about 3. I'll make enough for a day during one juicing session, but never more than that. It goes bad pretty fast, even in the fridge. Also, I read an article about how it oxidizes very quickly and loses its maximum potency within 30 minutes. I don't know how practical it is to juice 3 - 6x a day though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.