Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    PRETENDURO
    Too many stem haters in here. Don’t scoff at the free fiber. Eat it boy, it’s good for you! I made some sakuma wiki for dinner two nights ago, collard greens + kale + Swiss chard + onions + tomatoes + garlic + Mchuzi Mix + everyone’s favourite—BEEF!!! It’s no wonder my wife’s grandmother lived to be 115 years old in a third-world country without modern medicine (all the while at 8,500 feet altitude!!!)—it’s the GREENS!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Too many stem haters in here. Don’t scoff at the free fiber. Eat it boy, it’s good for you! I made some sakuma wiki for dinner two nights ago, collard greens + kale + Swiss chard + onions + tomatoes + garlic + Mchuzi Mix + everyone’s favourite—BEEF!!! It’s no wonder my wife’s grandmother lived to be 115 years old in a third-world country without modern medicine (all the while at 8,500 feet altitude!!!)—it’s the GREENS!
    Umm, I don't see any "stem haters" or whatever in here but yeah I agree. I will also add that Collards, Kale, Chard etc. are all in season right now and are usually grown year round (for the most part) here in the Monterey Bay area. Not to get preachy, but if you are lucky enough to have a local farmers market near by, use it and support local farmers. Often times the produce quality is better and cheaper. Steps off soap box.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Umm, I don't see any "stem haters" or whatever in here but yeah I agree. I will also add that Collards, Kale, Chard etc. are all in season right now and are usually grown year round (for the most part) here in the Monterey Bay area. Not to get preachy, but if you are lucky enough to have a local farmers market near by, use it and support local farmers. Often times the produce quality is better and cheaper. Steps off soap box.
    We’ve got a weekly organic produce delivery service (Farm Fresh to You), but they’re in Capay—central valley—so not exactly “local” but also it’s not like they’re trucking it in from Southern California. Got some kale last and chard last week, complemented it with the collards from Whole Paycheck.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

aka baycat
    How do carnitas do in a juicer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan G. View Post
    Finally a voice of reason! I was going to ask whether adding bacon into the juicer mix was acceptable...

mtbr member
    Mmm. Not so good.

Chorizo, egg and toast for me this morning. I should be banned from this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You can try this shake:

8oz of carnitas
    1 cube of butter
    1 KFC chicken thigh (bone in)
    1/2 stick of baker's chocolate
    2 coops of favorite ice cream
    4 tbs. of salt
    Chocolate syrup to taste

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    You can try this shake:

8oz of carnitas
    1 cube of butter
    1 KFC chicken thigh (bone in)
    1/2 stick of baker's chocolate
    2 coops of favorite ice cream
    4 tbs. of salt
    Chocolate syrup to taste
    No lard? Rookie.

Weird huh?
    We're doing tri-tip on the Weber tonight, with Beer.
    There will be pie
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    GoPro hooked up to the toilet under the lid?

It'd be as ugly as CHUMs riding.
    Gives new meaning to the word GoPro!

Seriously, this is a great thread and is giving me some healthy ideas.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Dont you know that after 3 meat violations you get stripped of your vegan superpowers?
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

mtbr member
    I know some of y'all are being downright hilarious (I know this because I used to be a seriously ****ing funny mother****er) but, and apologies for sounding like a tool, if you took a sincere and honest look at where your meat comes from, you'd likely find it a challenge to choke down that garbage. Now excuse me while I go fill up my natural gas Honda and smell my own fart.
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

I like mtn biking, too
    Way to go Squashyo! The Fat Sick and Nearly Dead film was very inspiring. I had no idea there were so many health nuts here, hiding out amongst the proud omnivores. I guess there comes a time when we have to finally pay the piper for our indulgent lifestyles. For sure, I really do need to do a cleanse, (it has been years since I did a 7 day juice fast). I need to cut out the alcohol. And the coffee.... at least for a time. But after the holidays. My friends who do cleanses regularly recommend transitioning slowly out of them. Don't just go straight to beer and pizza.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

Snowjnky McDreamy
    I am going to try the juice and beer diet. I will let you all know the results.
    No joke.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Gives new meaning to the word GoPro!

Seriously, this is a great thread and is giving me some healthy ideas.
    I'm just thinking we should get there before the Pinkbike crowd. They will just take the idea to a whole other level.

(Agreed, great thread)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I will also add that Collards, Kale, Chard etc. are all in season right now and are usually grown year round (for the most part) here in the Monterey Bay area.
    And go great with olive oil (or butter), garlic, and bacon.

-j

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    No lard? Rookie.
    Lard has been proven to be an anti-oxident. I like to add it when I feel like I'm coming down with a cold.

Also, raw ground beef is good in the shake I mentioned above.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    No joke.
    I've been on this diet for a while. Never felt better. The trick though is to age the juice for an year and only consume in beer-juice order. Never in reverse. For those who like juice consumed raw, Simply Naked makes just that. Raw juice and zero wood. (Not to mistake with Naked Grape, which is just regular juice despite the name.)
    Mix it with times a week of detox shots after dinner to make it Churchill-Tesla diet who both lived long life.

I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

Serenity now!
    Step one- mission accomplished. I found a friend with a juicer she isn't using, will be in my possessiontomorrow. I can run a trial before spending the bucks on an appliance I might not use.

Now I need to decide if I'm in for the pineapple juice experiment or going all the way and do a juice fast. I've had a couple of colonoscopies and I find the clear liquid diet prep easy to follow, in fact I feel extra good. I can't imagine juicing would be much harder.

I would be up for participating in a group experiment, if you find some other open minded peeps. I'm not from California, but we have veggies and such up in here.
    Duchess of Dab

Mtn View, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I know some of y'all are being downright hilarious (I know this because I used to be a seriously ****ing funny mother****er) but, and apologies for sounding like a tool, if you took a sincere and honest look at where your meat comes from, you'd likely find it a challenge to choke down that garbage. Now excuse me while I go fill up my natural gas Honda and smell my own fart.
    My father spent 32 years as a meat inspector with the USDA. I visited him at slaughterhouses a couple times. No issues with where the meat I eat comes from. My sister checked it out once. She went vegetarian after that visit but it only last a couple weeks. The slaughtering isn't the disturbing part to me. It's how fast it happens and how little time is actually spent inspecting. And the managers hinting that the inspectors should look the other way sometimes.

How does commercial vegetable juices like V8 compare to the stuff you guys make in your juicers?
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    No joke.
    Be prepared to get extra **** faced...

mtbr member
    V8, even the low-sodium version, has a fair amount of sodium and although I personally like the taste of it, I don't have it hardly ever. Anything you can juice fresh and consume on the spot is going to have the maximum benefit.

The thread is interesting, and I agree with much of it. At home, my wife and I tend to have a pretty balanced diet. We're not vegan or vegetarian, but we eat and cook sensibly and eat salads and vegetables daily, as much organic as possible. A few years ago we bought a Champion juicer and juice pretty regularly. We juice carrots, apples, ginger, kale, italian parsley, oranges, grapefruit, spinach, and cucumber. Consider adding cucumber to your juicing also as it helps balance out the PH of the juice. In general, our bodies can become more acidic than they should be as a result of many things - diet (too many processed and acidic foods) and not enough hydration and of course the usual suspects (coffee, alcohol, etc. - two of my favorite things!). Cucumber is great to boost alkalinity and so are various types of greens (dandelion, chard, collard, mustard) and broccoli, romaine lettuce, Brussels sprouts, root vegetables, and much. Research it, boosting your alkalinity is a good thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    My father spent 32 years as a meat inspector with the USDA. I visited him at slaughterhouses a couple times. No issues with where the meat I eat comes from. My sister checked it out once. She went vegetarian after that visit but it only last a couple weeks. The slaughtering isn't the disturbing part to me. It's how fast it happens and how little time is actually spent inspecting. And the managers hinting that the inspectors should look the other way sometimes.

How does commercial vegetable juices like V8 compare to the stuff you guys make in your juicers?
    I've just seen a few movies that made me ill...probably not the best source for my information but sticks with me all the same.

V8 is very high in sodium so probably not the best...they do make a low sodium brand but from what I have read, veggie juice of any variety will lose nutritional shelf life quickly so my hunch is that by the time your get it, the good stuff has mostly died or a lot of it anyhow. Also, I don't know if they include fiber which would be anti-productive for this type of fast. Again, only from my research but seems to be noted in various sources.

For those of you folks trying veggie juicing at home, get a strainer to filter out the pulpy stuff. That pulp will line your intestines if you are not eating fiber and will make absorption of the water and nutrients harder for your body to intake (thus the idea of using enemas). The strainer will also make the juice taste better I think...the cloudy drinks seemed a little gamey to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PixieChik View Post
    Step one- mission accomplished. I found a friend with a juicer she isn't using, will be in my possessiontomorrow. I can run a trial before spending the bucks on an appliance I might not use.

Now I need to decide if I'm in for the pineapple juice experiment or going all the way and do a juice fast. I've had a couple of colonoscopies and I find the clear liquid diet prep easy to follow, in fact I feel extra good. I can't imagine juicing would be much harder.

I would be up for participating in a group experiment, if you find some other open minded peeps. I'm not from California, but we have veggies and such up in here.
    Awesome! Stoked to hear about how it goes. If you wait till July, I'll join ya but that's when I plan to do it again. If you do decide to go full juice fast (it's really quite easy and a crazy little adventure) I seriously recommend that you pick up this book at the library or on Amazon. It is a fantastic guide for how to do this right: The Fasting Diet by Steven Baily (The Fasting Diet: Steven Bailey: 9780658011450: Amazon.com: Books) I wish i had followed the pre-diet prep...probably would have had an easier time with the first three days and would've lost a couple more pounds. Your also going to need lots of room for all the veggies you'll need on hand...Tons of carrots, celery, Kale, Cucumber, and Beats...everything else is just frosting on the cake and spices things up. I added a lot of garlic from time to time and experimented with a wide range of veggies and a little fruit here and there. The ginger was cool too. For the beats, peel the skin with a peeler as I am told the skin can be bitter.

Anyhow, good luck with whatever you choose.

mtbr member
    Oh, that's another benefit of the old standby Champion Juicer, it sends all the pulp one way and all the juice another (into the cup).

Oh and I forgot to mention a major component of our juicing routine, it's very healthy, alkaline and will keep you super regular - red beets. Use sparingly, if you buy in bulk at the store, pick out all the beets that are up to 2" diameter and use one per juicing...

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast