Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Try this

Get a bundle of kale - $2
    A bunch of bananas - $2
    High quality orange juice

6-8 oz. of OJ
    4-5 de-stalked kale
    1 banana

Blend it all up and drink this concoction everyday for two weeks. Eat your regular healthy diet. Obvious to not eat fast food, crap, etc.
    Can you recommend a substitute for bananas? I'm allergic to bananas so a lot of the juice / smoothie recipes tend to be a problem.
    Interesting thread, thanks for the info. I overhauled my diet a few years ago and now get a good amount of fruits, veggies, and non-animal protein, but was feeling like shaking things up a bit. This would be a good detox after the hell-month of biz travel that will be this coming January.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWheels View Post
    Can you recommend a substitute for bananas? I'm allergic to bananas so a lot of the juice / smoothie recipes tend to be a problem.
    Interesting thread, thanks for the info. I overhauled my diet a few years ago and now get a good amount of fruits, veggies, and non-animal protein, but was feeling like shaking things up a bit. This would be a good detox after the hell-month of biz travel that will be this coming January.
    Kale is pretty bitter - so anything to "sweeten" it up will work. I've substituted blueberries, diced mangos, apricots, etc. Anything! It's like "a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go dowwwwwnnn..."

I wouldn't recommend a KFC drumstick or leftover chow mein, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The more I ride, the less I want to put any laboratory engneered food/beverages in me. I have been drinking the purest R.O. water for over 2 years, Completely alchohol, nicotine, pharmacutical free (including aspirin). Did a lot of juicing the first year and detoxed completely. Maintain a 85-90% vegan diet and feel better than I ever have in my entire life. Kicking the refined sugar habit was the last step I needed. Tough one, but did it and lost the last 10 lbs. in doing so.

One new trick I learned is the benefits of Pineapple for pain and swelling. It is the best anti-inflammatory ever. All my joint pain went away in a matter of 2-3 days by drinking a 8 oz glass twice a day, and has never returned. Do weekly maintenance now, and after epic rides or whenever I am sore.
    Remove the peal from a whole pineapple and juice everything. The enzyme Bromelain is found in the core in concentrated amounts, and is only found in pineapple that science has so far discovered to my knowledge.

Start by cutting off the bottom and top, cut about 2" slices and then remove the skin. Slice into spears that will fit in the juicer. Add one or two apples with it to cut the flavor, I usually add an orange and sometime a few carrots. Makes about a half gallon, but you have to run the pulp through a few times to get all the juice out of the pineapple. A Champion Juicer works well for this.

I am very curious to see if anyone tries this, as it has helped me live pain-free for over a year now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarjohn21 View Post
    ...it has helped me live pain-free for over a year now.
    That is awesome!

What people don't realize is that food can be medicine or poison. Like I said earlier - I used to get sick very frequently, and really sick - like 105º temperatures... out for a week or more. I haven't gotten sick like that since I started this diet. I'll get ultimately hippy-dippy on people and reiterate what was told to me by a vegan cook:

When you ingest meat, especially in the United States, you ingest torture, pain, fear, anguish and disease. The animal you eat died feeling all those things - and therefore, all of that negativity goes into your body and becomes part of you...
    Yeah, hippy-dippy... but I vibe with that, entirely.

I love the "What about protein?" - Then I just say, "Look at me... do I look like I'm lacking protein?" By the way, the only time anybody has even been concerned about my protein intake was after I tell them I don't eat meat.

People freak out when they find out I don't get a flu shot - I ask, what for? Haven't needed it in years!

People are more concerned about putting WD-40 on their bike or 87 octane gas in their cars than the food they put in their bodies.

Serenity now!
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarjohn21 View Post
    The more I ride, the less I want to put any laboratory engneered food/beverages in me. I have been drinking the purest R.O. water for over 2 years, Completely alchohol, nicotine, pharmacutical free (including aspirin). Did a lot of juicing the first year and detoxed completely. Maintain a 85-90% vegan diet and feel better than I ever have in my entire life. Kicking the refined sugar habit was the last step I needed. Tough one, but did it and lost the last 10 lbs. in doing so.

One new trick I learned is the benefits of Pineapple for pain and swelling. It is the best anti-inflammatory ever. All my joint pain went away in a matter of 2-3 days by drinking a 8 oz glass twice a day, and has never returned. Do weekly maintenance now, and after epic rides or whenever I am sore.
    Remove the peal from a whole pineapple and juice everything. The enzyme Bromelain is found in the core in concentrated amounts, and is only found in pineapple that science has so far discovered to my knowledge.

Start by cutting off the bottom and top, cut about 2" slices and then remove the skin. Slice into spears that will fit in the juicer. Add one or two apples with it to cut the flavor, I usually add an orange and sometime a few carrots. Makes about a half gallon, but you have to run the pulp through a few times to get all the juice out of the pineapple. A Champion Juicer works well for this.

I am very curious to see if anyone tries this, as it has helped me live pain-free for over a year now.
    I am tempted to give this a try. Fresh pineapple always gives me a stomachache, for some weird unknown reason. Do you think canned juice would work?

I have severe arthritis in one knee, am going to need a replacement someday but I'm putting it off as long as possible. Biking has helped it more than anything else (and losing 20+ lb) so far, except steroid injections- which seem like a bad idea.
    Duchess of Dab

mtbr member

Literally, this is a "sweet" way in, without absolutely going full-on extreme. Mad props to squashyo for doing it and sticking to it, but a lot of us don't have that kind of discipline. Sometimes, we need a more gentler approach - and sweet, natural, healthy kale shakes are a good way to start.
    I think there is a misconception that this fast is "extreme" and requires "discipline". I thought going in that it would be like traversing the Serengeti but the reality is it was not hard at all! The first few days is a little tough as you are just so used to snacking that you need to find a way to be distracted but after the 3 days, nothing but energy and limited hunger. You just get fired up seeing the pounds shed (about 2lbs a day), the BP drop, and just feeling damn good. Slept incredibly well (I hadn't been sleeping great) and just had a sense of clarity that is hard to explain. I do admit that by day 10 I was getting sick of the juice but I could have easily kept going if not for a party coming up the following week.

Anyhow, love the advice coming out of this beyond the fast topic. As luck would have it, I love pineapples and Kale is always in my fridge now...wooohoo.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That is awesome!

What people don't realize is that food can be medicine or poison. Like I said earlier - I used to get sick very frequently, and really sick - like 105º temperatures... out for a week or more. I haven't gotten sick like that since I started this diet. I'll get ultimately hippy-dippy on people and reiterate what was told to me by a vegan cook:

Yeah, hippy-dippy... but I vibe with that, entirely.

I love the "What about protein?" - Then I just say, "Look at me... do I look like I'm lacking protein?" By the way, the only time anybody has even been concerned about my protein intake was after I tell them I don't eat meat.

People freak out when they find out I don't get a flu shot - I ask, what for? Haven't needed it in years!

People are more concerned about putting WD-40 on their bike or 87 octane gas in their cars than the food they put in their bodies.
    Totally agree. The more you live this way, the easier it is to stay with it. All processed foods aren't even a thought anymore. I do eat cheese and eggs, chicken and turkey, but in very small amounts compared to what I used to do. I put 100% Whey protein Powder on my oat cereal in the morning and in a glass of milk after a long ride. Learned you can only absorb about 30-35grams of protein at a time, so any more is wasted. Red meat has 10g per oz, chicken and turkey about 8g per oz, and cheese has about 7g per oz. Its easy to get the protein you need.

It really is easy once you stop the cravings for addictive, processed foods by not buying them in the first place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    PixieChik

The juicing process does something to it that makes it easier on the stomach. The apple helps a lot with this too. The problem with canned juice is it is usually pasteurized and the heat kills the enzymes that do the work. Also, canned is usually more acidic than fresh, in my experience.

A homeopathic doctor told me once when I was about ten years old, " Don't drink juice fast, let it sit in your mouth before you swallow." Saliva is the pre-digestive enzyme your stomach needs to properly digest a concentrated food like fruit juice or even milk.

I will say this: The cure for arthritis is Bromelain. This has been known for over 70 years in Germany. Give it a try. A pineapple costs about $4, and two a week is the most I have ever done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    a sense of clarity that is hard to explain...
    Absolutely!

I'm no doctor, scientist, etc. but from my pea brain understanding of the human body - there are things that make us "run" better than others. Sometimes you need that shot of "N0S", like sugar or caffeine...

But for the long drives a.k.a. daily living, nutritious foods make the machine just run a little better.

Like I said, so many people spend so much time on maintenance of the machines we use, but take little effort in the upkeep of the machine we live in (our bodies).

I also experienced that "snap" back to focus you are talking about. Even better now that I'm treating my sleep apnea, with my plant-base diet and real sleep, I feel like the organism my brain is stuck with until I die is running much better.

Puro Vida!
    I'm gonna try! Dropping the alcohol is a hard one for me though. Not so sure how successful I'll be on that part if it-not as much a beer drinker as I am hard alcohol-probabaly worse. I like my kettle one and red bulk on weekends.
    I've read that it's better to eat frequently and small portions and stay under a set amount if calories. Frequent eating keeps the metabolism going. Also read drinking cold water is better than warm since again your metabolism needs to work harder to warm the water.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Food! Its awesome!

Late May of this 2012 I found my self at a bit of a crossroads regarding food and my dietary choices. I was having more and more problems digesting red meat, lean meats like chicken and pork and was pretty frequently feeling very bad, "spacey", having major gastrointestinal tract problems and having a very "food coma" feeling after most meals that had meat or were cooked with large amounts of animal fats or byproducts. When the start of 2012 was rolling around, my digestive issues were starting to go from bad to worse, I had been eating much less in the way of red meats over the past few years and mostly eating lean meats and fish. Back in 2006 I cut out eating at fast food restaurants almost completely.
    I was still having problems and it was getting worse.

At that point I decided that I would try a ovo-lacto vegetarian diet for six weeks to see how it affected me. So far... it has worked out very well. Six months later, it has become a full diet change and a fairly large lifestyle change and a very large perception shift in how I see, think and deal with foods and the oh so precious intake of calories. I've spend much more time thinking and planning out meals, as well as just spending more time cooking.

It has been great.
    I've had a bit more energy, I've felt a lot snappier after meals and I have had good success with reducing that middle of the afternoon I feel like crap blood sugar crashing that was a major issue for me come around 2 in the afternoon. A big part of it is not eating like crap anymore, but also what I am eating is playing a role is how my body is dealing with food and eating more foods that are not as energy intensive to digest. Shortly after my son was born I was up around 225, getting some time back after the kiddo was born and stuff helped get that back to 215-220 or so, but I hung out in that range for about a year, in may was when is started to see some changes there.
    After trying out this vegetarian silliness for six weeks, I was down to about 210 and make the choice to stick with it as there was a huge increase in energy. Here we are back in the middle of December and I'm back down to ~200lbs. Of course, during this I have been running and riding, but not as much as I'd like. My dietary changes have very much been for the better for running and cycling, for me at any rate. For me, personally, if I'm going to do more weight wise I will have to get the activity levels back up and then cut out beer. Beer... So delicious, but I have to cut it down majorly to get anymore progress. However, as I will be buying a SS mtb soon, I can't cut out beer totally...

With what started out as an experiment in my diet turned out into a great lifestyle change and a total and very positive change in my perception of food and nutrition.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Try this

Get a bundle of kale - $2
    A bunch of bananas - $2
    High quality orange juice

6-8 oz. of OJ
    4-5 de-stalked kale
    1 banana

Blend it all up and drink this concoction everyday for two weeks. Eat your regular healthy diet. Obvious to not eat fast food, crap, etc.
    I tend to add lemon and ginger in there to hide a bit more of the kale flavor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    I'm gonna try! Dropping the alcohol is a hard one for me though. Not so sure how successful I'll be on that part if it-not as much a beer drinker as I am hard alcohol-probabaly worse. I like my kettle one and red bulk on weekends.
    I've read that it's better to eat frequently and small portions and stay under a set amount if calories. Frequent eating keeps the metabolism going. Also read drinking cold water is better than warm since again your metabolism needs to work harder to warm the water.
    Alcohol, even in small quantities, debilitates the body and mind. Most of us started drinking when we were young because of one reason or another. After 10, 20, or 30 years, it's now just a bad habit. The cumulative effects on the entire body are just as bad as a smoker and the condition of his lungs after the same amount of time. I could go on and on, but.....

Bottom line, I wanted to be able to ride for the rest of my life. The only way was to change......Everything!

I feel so good these days. I sleep better than ever. I never have heartburn. I stated earlier about my diet, and the only improvement would be to go completely organic. I always buy the best quality I can find or afford. I eat fresh fruit everyday and go shopping for it every day or two. It's just part of my life now, and yes, you can eat small amounts all day long and not gain weight if you are active everyday.
    I try to ride as much as possible. An elevated heart rate for 45min to and hour is the minumum per day, and if I miss a day or two, I do a 3 hour ride the next.

I wish you luck on your decision. Its a big one, and well worth it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Heading down the path here...

A month or two ago due to some fun activity in my life, I stepped back and took a look at diet and the like. Certain stresses (mmm...work) were causing me to be more sedentary and drink more beer/wine than I should be (mmm...beer). Aside from beer/wine, my day to day diet isn't too horrible (at least calorie-wise).

I opted for smoothies in the morning. Some combination of:

banana
    kale
    celery
    nut butter (almond, usually)
    pine apple
    ginger
    lemon
    strawberries
    apples
    (and orange or apple juice)

Cut back down to no more than two beers or glasses of wine (leaning more wine than beer at the moment).

Without any other dietary changes and a slight decrease in physical activity (due to rain), about 8lb came off and has settled having lost 6lb. Next step is to get my sorry backside out to the gym / on the trainer / or yoga on a daily basis. That should help move things along.

The fast sounds interesting, mainly as it would be interesting to see the effect on the beer belly. And a week without beer, while an eternity, may be doable.

Squashyo - what were you eating while on your rides? Or did you stick to shorter rides?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    Heading down the path here...

Squashyo - what were you eating while on your rides? Or did you stick to shorter rides?
    So, I wasn't eating for 10 days...period
    On my rides I filled a water bottle with veggie juice and a camel pack full of water (water is key to this diet). I rode my local LG trails so I could get home if things went south...never went south, I had energy to ride semi long distances but I didn't push it. Weather was crappy anyhow and I started a new job so had to look busy.

HTFU!
    I have done variations of this when I was younger, running marathons, triathlons etc. at a skinny 150lbs. Then I got older, got married, had a kid and eventually went from a fit, active 160 (5'8") to a steady weight of 185. I then did my own 'detox' version which was no junk for a week, then a 3 day liquid diet that consisted of Organic Vegetable Juices, Teas, and some organic fruit juices for dessert (and a lot of water). After the three days I went on a two week "Super Foods" diet that involved a lot of vegetable stir fry meals (broccoli, cauliflower, onions, spinach, tomatoes, mushroom, peppers, brown rice, olive oil), almonds, walnuts, berries, and other fruits, with the occasional piece of dark chocolate, but sticking with fruit juice or popsicles for dessert.
    This set the stage for a nice lifestyle change that saw me loose a solid 20 lbs and fluctuate between the low-mid 160's. Of course a number of years later, another kid, a knee injury and two torn calf muscles later along with a move across country, I found myself back up to the mid 180's.
    So now I find I am starting again. I know what needs to be done and I know I can do it (my wife is super fit n' healthy and would be a vegetarian if it weren't for me), so I have already started the process.
    This time I am upping my exercise from riding 1x-2x's a week to adding the trainer or Insanity workouts for a 5x week regiment. I am currently in the process of going two weeks without junkfood or junk in general and have already lost 5 solid lbs in two weeks. I will be sensible for the X-mas feast and begin the detox right after X-mas (not January 1st, too cliche'). I will follow a similar plan as above and my wife is psyched for the super foods part, as that is how she eats anyway. I will update my progress (or regression) at a later date as I try to get back to being just an S.O.B. rider, and not a 'Fat' S.O.B. rider.
    I appreciate your inspirational post...misery likes company so it is good to know other riders are doing the same things.
    James

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    I have done variations of this when I was younger, running marathons, triathlons etc. at a skinny 150lbs. Then I got older, got married, had a kid and eventually went from a fit, active 160 (5'8") to a steady weight of 185. I then did my own 'detox' version which was no junk for a week, then a 3 day liquid diet that consisted of Organic Vegetable Juices, Teas, and some organic fruit juices for dessert (and a lot of water). After the three days I went on a two week "Super Foods" diet that involved a lot of vegetable stir fry meals (broccoli, cauliflower, onions, spinach, tomatoes, mushroom, peppers, brown rice, olive oil), almonds, walnuts, berries, and other fruits, with the occasional piece of dark chocolate, but sticking with fruit juice or popsicles for dessert.
    This set the stage for a nice lifestyle change that saw me loose a solid 20 lbs and fluctuate between the low-mid 160's. Of course a number of years later, another kid, a knee injury and two torn calf muscles later along with a move across country, I found myself back up to the mid 180's.
    So now I find I am starting again. I know what needs to be done and I know I can do it (my wife is super fit n' healthy and would be a vegetarian if it weren't for me), so I have already started the process.
    This time I am upping my exercise from riding 1x-2x's a week to adding the trainer or Insanity workouts for a 5x week regiment. I am currently in the process of going two weeks without junkfood or junk in general and have already lost 5 solid lbs in two weeks. I will be sensible for the X-mas feast and begin the detox right after X-mas (not January 1st, too cliche'). I will follow a similar plan as above and my wife is psyched for the super foods part, as that is how she eats anyway. I will update my progress (or regression) at a later date as I try to get back to being just an S.O.B. rider, and not a 'Fat' S.O.B. rider.
    I appreciate your inspirational post...misery likes company so it is good to know other riders are doing the same things.
    James
    Dude, that sounds awesome! Definitely keep us posted. The super food part does sound pretty dang good. I hope you mean to make your own juices as I am told pre-made stuff or anything shelved over a day loses its nutritional make up.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Dude, that sounds awesome! Definitely keep us posted. The super food part does sound pretty dang good. I hope you mean to make your own juices as I am told pre-made stuff or anything shelved over a day loses its nutritional make up.
    Ha, that clearly explains why I was feeling 'low energy' during my 3 days of juicing and you were not.
    Unfortunately a juicer is not in the budget (spent too much on bike stuff already). After a quick internet search of reliable info, I found it is indeed true that fruits and veggies start loosing their nutrition within hours of being harvested, then more so when cut and juiced in factories. Then by the time they make it to the store shelves, in clear plastic or glass containers, they have lost most of the nutrition they started with. I may need to rework my planned strategy and mix organic fruit/vegetable juices with a lunch of organic raw fruits and veggies as an alternative or??? Thanks for the heads up.
    I will let you know what I come up with.

mtbr member
    Nice going Squash!!! I saw that movie about 6 months ago and have wanted to try it. I am about 10lbs heavier now than I was last winter. I attribute that to eating whatever I please and a reduction in riding. Work schedule has really killed it this year. Anyway, I am on board for trying this as I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I mean what is the harm really? More time on the toilet just leads to more reading! Super impressed you did this and to all of you others that have done it. I am at 165 right now and looking to get to 120. Kidding!
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in Sept 2010. She has gone through surgery, chemo, radition etc. Cancer free now, but the experience has left her concerned about recurance.

She introduced me to Fat, Sick and Nearly dead about October 2011. At the time I was at an good weight 5'7" and 155 (gained I little due bad eating and stress of her treatments, but was already exercising to lose it), did not need to do anything, but we both decided to give juicing a try. We borrowed a friends cheap juicer and found it was not that bad. So we got our own Brevelle juicer. Since then we have been juicing every day. We have never done a juice fast, but have replaced morning coffee with juice. We also have been adding more fresh vegetables to our diet. I was horrible and did not each much green veggies.

So now ever day I have about 400-500 ml of fresh juice. I can tell when I don't have it as it gives me a nice energy boost and keep both out bowel movements regular. My wife was horrible for not being regular and the juice really helps. We notice if we miss a day.

As for me.. I have more energy and about the same time got back in Mtn biking after a long break. I am more fit and my weight is not 153lbs. Not much different from before, but that is a lot more lean muscle than fat. Also I noticed this last year and also this year. I rarely get sick. Colds/Flu etc... I always would catch one here and there over the season and a few a tough days. I also have a 6 year old at home and parents know what little germ carriers they are. However since juicing I rearly get sick and when I do it much less intense and shorter duration.

Overall it was a nice addition to my personal health.

For those are interested here is my juice recipe

- Kale - Handfull complete with stems
    - Spinach - Handfull complete with stems
    - 4 stalks of Celery - I use these to wrap the kale/spinach for best juicing in the machine
    - 1 small stalk of broccoli (crown and stem)
    - 2 carrots
    - 1 large cucumber
    -1 Granny Smith apple.

This makes about 800 to 1000ml of juice depending the actual size of veggies used. My wife and I share this each day.

One more thing.. Juicing and riding. Most morning ride prep (even summer 5am starts) go like this. Drink Juice (15-20 min), eat orange or greek yogurt, take crap (juice helps things move), go riding about 1 hour after I start. I can ride on this for 2-3 hrs and do just fine.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    For some of the people that are on the fence about a full on veggie juice fast, just try going into it with a meat free week or even just one day a week that you consciously remove meat from your diet. Meat free Mondays are popular for folks just starting out the idea of a vegetarian diet.

I've noticed that my road bike speeds go up on average 1-2mph on the weeks that I ditch meat. And this is still eating full meals not just juicing everything.

The strongest animals in nature are vegetarian so it's ironic that humans focus on the need to consume meat to get stronger.

mtbr member
    Your colon will love you for it!

Literally, this is a "sweet" way in, without absolutely going full-on extreme. Mad props to squashyo for doing it and sticking to it, but a lot of us don't have that kind of discipline. Sometimes, we need a more gentler approach - and sweet, natural, healthy kale shakes are a good way to start.
    Well, having my first cup for breakfast. Not too bad.

swag ho Administrator
    How come Squashyo always has the best posts?

You have any photos? References? I know you too some video.

This can be a good and timely mtbr article if someone can compile the info.

fc

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    How come Squashyo always has the best posts?

You have any photos? References? I know you too some video.

This can be a good and timely mtbr article if someone can compile the info.

fc
    GoPro hooked up to the toilet under the lid?

It'd be as ugly as CHUMs riding.

mtbr member
    Squashyo has good posts every so often because he hates working.

I didn't take any video but I have some photos of vegetables. I took. I wish I had logged a journal. One thing that you could do is recruit a few people who want to try it and have them log a daily MTBR journal on their adventure with photos and video...that would be pretty cool. Kind of like an MTBR reality show with mountain biking and such. They could let us know about health improvements, riding while fasting, outcome...you get it.

As for crapping, I had real poo. A very tiny bit everyday. I did a coffee enema that was quite awakening.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast