Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    mtbr member

Veggie Juice Fast: Bike friendly diet that works

Maybe, in Colorado skiing, getting in touch with my meat eating, republican roots, who says vegs don't have a sense of humor . Maybe this will help.Veggie Juice Fast:  Bike friendly diet that works-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361584450.570195.jpg
    Or this
    Veggie Juice Fast:  Bike friendly diet that works-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361584471.818701.jpg

mtbr member

Maybe, in Colorado skiing, getting in touch with my meat eating, republican roots,
    who says vegs don't have a sense of humor . Maybe this will help.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361584450.570195.jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	774573
    Or this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361584471.818701.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	774574

mtbr member
    While, admittedly, my wife does look like a small Asian boy when she wears a baseball cap on backwards, the ingesting of carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, and other phallic vegetables does not prevent me from obsessing over the Veejayjay and the Tee-Tahtahs. Though I do feel I may be a lesbian trapped inside a male body.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

mtbr member

Uh oh duplicates, glad everyone has a sense of humor. Rumor is Squashyos not funny anymore and I'm stuck in Denver airport for 2 mo hours with the wife and daughters. PS watching that juicing vid didn't help.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    I come from an ancient culture with medical history going back thousands of years, where the elders like to ask at the dinner table, "How have you been pooping recently?" Thus I give the squinty eye emoticon to any eating style that will have me squirting out the most vile goo imaginable.
    That never happened to me... I simply had no need to poop from like day 4 to 11 or so (it took me like 2 days after I restarted eating to need to poop again). I did piss like a horse, since I should be drinking over a gallon a day (3 juices, each one around 2 pints, would give me over half a gallon. Plus the water, tea, and protein shakes, close to 1,5 gallons a day. That is a lot of water, but I guess there is no real reason for one to poop if one is eating no waste. Maybe my juicer yielded even drier pulp, which mean close to no fibre, giving no solid waste?)

Another thing, was zero farts and zero borborigmos while on the fast. Apparently my lactose intolerance is a lot bigger after the fast than it was before. Not that one should drink much milk anyway, and there are still lactose-free variants if I really want it. I have no problem with cheese or yoghurt
    Keith Scott: If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking

mtbr member
    Day two for me on this cleanse, great thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I watched Joeís movie about six months ago and tried the 30 day challenge.
    Here was my experience.
    I was raised on meat and potatoes with large amounts of milk. In fact, between my brother and Dad and I, we drank about a gallon a day. This continued into my adult life well into my 30s. Recently my Dad passed away having all kinds of health issues associated with eating habits. Diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, etc. About two years ago a doctor told me I had high blood pressure. Without realizing, I had taken the same road as my Dad.
    Instead of taking pills, I bought a bike. It helped that I have a lot of great trails accessible from my garage. Although I felt better initially, I hadnít made enough change in my life to make a difference. Not enough riding combined with the same old eating habits. Something needed to permanently change.
    So, I tried the juicing system for a month knowing full well it wasnít going to be permanent. One month of inconvenience. To be quite honest, itís a pain in the ass. All the trips to the store or farmers market to keep us in fruit and vegetables (my wife did it with me), quickly became tedious. The cravings were big. I wanted chips and salsa so bad I found myself hiding at work with a handful of Tostitos. I felt like I was hiding a heroine habit.
    Overall, I stayed with the juice for a month. Because it was over the holidays, I had the occasional meal. Iíll admit, it was tough. Deep seated social eating habits.
    The month went by and I came out of it fairly happy. Iím not constantly sucking in my gut. I look to healthier choices instead of a Double Double with grilled onions. The biggest change I made that had the biggest impact was eliminating the dairy products. I have completely eliminated milk from my life. Many of you are saying, ďwell duh!Ē Unfortunately, itís a staple for many people. Breakfast cereal was my favorite meal of every day. Itís gone. I started at about 240 pounds. Got down pretty close to 200. Bounced back up to 215, and Iím currently at 210. Mind you Iím just over 6í2Ē. I still have at least one juice a day and for the most part regular food otherwise. My blood pressure issue is gone. Waking up without headaches is the best part of normal blood pressure. My riding has increased partly due to my overall improved health.
    After the initial period, thereís nothing wrong with going back and visiting some of the foods you really like. You just have to decide whether or not they need to be in your everyday life.
    Would I do this again? Yes. Would there be any hesitation? No. For all the misgivings, itís just worth it. It simply works. Itís fruit and vegetables. Thatís it. If nothing else, it's 2 weeks to 30 days. Youíre already going to the store.
    If you're reading this thread and contemplating whether or not to give it a shot, here were my pros and cons.
    Cons
    -Expensive-The machine and the fruit and vegetables are initially expensive.
    -Tedious. Lots and lots of juicing. When looking at juicers, find one that makes juicing easier. The Omega I bought has a small mouth making it necessary to cut the food down first.
    Pros.
    -Cost: Too many people out there depend on Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers. This is cheaper works better. No one stays on those diets. Itís easy to integrate juice into every day life-styles.
    -Lots of energy: Daily energy levels on juice is huge. Riding during the first part of the month was sketchy. During the second half of the month and when I transitioned back to regular food with juice, the increased energy was crazy. I drink a juice before and after every ride now.
    -Health advantages. Lots and lots of health advantages to eliminating beef and dairy products. One of my daily staples is bean salads. Havenít missed beef yet.
    -Easy to adapt into regular life. Many of the juices are very very good.
    -Weight loss. It very quickly, very safely, allows years of weight gain to fall away.
    -All the info you need is online and free.
    -There are alternatives to expensive machines. If youíre interested, send me a message and Iíll shoot you tricks to getting discounts on good machines.
    -People who aren't overweight, gain just as many benefits. Energy alone makes it worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fast4ward View Post
    I was raised on meat and potatoes with large amounts of milk.
    Sounds very familiar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fast4ward View Post
    -Cost: Too many people out there depend on Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers. This is cheaper works better. No one stays on those diets. Itís easy to integrate juice into every day life-styles.
    I have to reference this every time I talk to anyone about me and how I have started juicing. I have had several people cite that they can just eat xyz or do abc diet or go to the gym more...

I have had to change nothing about my lifestyle except that I have juice for breakfast and lunch over my normal mundane day time meals. I usually am forced to eat like crap because with work and life having nutritious and good meals is challenging monday through friday. In the end, I have great juices during the day, which actually cost me less and I feel and look better in the process.

It is true that my dietary habits have changed after fasting but unlike other fad or crash diets, I am not miserable in doing so, feel like i am hungry all the time or crave my favorite foods all day.

On a second note, I noticed my lady catching a peek with a raised eyebrow as I was stepping out the the shower Saturday morning... I think she's noticing a difference too.

PRETENDURO
    The real thing to consider overall and not just rest on the whole ďI use a juicerĒ notion (I use a juicer, by the way) is to cut out processed foods entirely. If you donít know where it came from or whatís in it, you really ought to think twice about putting it into your body.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    This last month, I was talked into participating in a food fast. Goal was 7 days living on nothing but veggie juice, tea, and water. I did a lot of research and found that this program is highly regarded as a way to detox the body while gaining significant benefits like weight loss and reducing blood pressure. I was fearful that I would be tired, grumpy, and most importantly, unable to ride my bike...I was wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Even though we are unlikeliest to be called vegetarian, this post was kinda an inspiration for me (trying to get some time to no-dab up Kennedy) & my wife (hiking along). Thank you. These are quite amazing stories.

I've got the whole nine yards starting with several excess bowling balls on me, hypertention, etc. So we tried juices, liked it, and decided to try 1-week juice fast & looks like it's gona happen next week with help of Omega Vert. I might even log it somehow - if I succeed maybe it could help someone else...

I had a look at 3/5/10/15 plans at Joe's site and was a bit surprised that they include not only juice. I'd rather called them light vegie diet than juice fast. Did you use any plan from Joe's site or used juice only like supposedly in his movie?

I am trying to bike 4 times a week - thue/thu/sat/sun. I am not in the 20/40 Kennedy leage, rather 45/90 with several not even dabs but full blown rests, neither I am an SS beast as some around here. Up to 15mi/2500ft MTB or 30-50mi road trips are quite a load for my 5'7"/235 at 47. Trying to think about energy for these rides during juice fast makes me really uneasy.

Puro Vida!

Right on Bashtan! Keep up the good work. Keep up the riding and it'll get better-you may never become one if these KOM killers-but riding will be easier and you'll get healthier. I'm trying to-seems like I've been trying for a while now and I've come to the conclusion that I'm happy to ride and just be out there on my bike. Always nice to ride with guys on TSP since they share the same feelings. Hope you keep riding and eating better. I tried this out and felt better, just need to ride a lil more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashtan View Post
    Even though we are unlikeliest to be called vegetarian, this post was kinda an inspiration for me (trying to get some time to no-dab up Kennedy) & my wife (hiking along). Thank you. These are quite amazing stories.

I've got the whole nine yards starting with several excess bowling balls on me, hypertention, etc. So we tried juices, liked it, and decided to try 1-week juice fast & looks like it's gona happen next week with help of Omega Vert. I might even log it somehow - if I succeed maybe it could help someone else...

I had a look at 3/5/10/15 plans at Joe's site and was a bit surprised that they include not only juice. I'd rather called them light vegie diet than juice fast. Did you use any plan from Joe's site or used juice only like supposedly in his movie?

I am trying to bike 4 times a week - thue/thu/sat/sun. I am not in the 20/40 Kennedy leage, rather 45/90 with several not even dabs but full blown rests, neither I am an SS beast as some around here. Up to 15mi/2500ft MTB or 30-50mi road trips are quite a load for my 5'7"/235 at 47. Trying to think about energy for these rides during juice fast makes me really uneasy.
    Awesome man. Keep it up and I am sure you will run into one of us up that beast someday...Ancient Rascal is a totally cool dude and he is up there everyday it seems.

I did not follow Joes plan but I am sure it's good. My fast was absolutely fiber free which made for lots of energy and detoxification benefits (everything is at rest so things can heal). After a few days, you will find you have great energy. Just bring some veggie juice with you and you should be a-Ok. I did a few long 2000ft climbs on my fast and had no problems. I bit more tired those evenings but highly manageable. Fasting with veggie juice does not mean you will be lacking in energy...quite the opposite in my case. Just be prepared to have LOTS of fresh/good juice available...limit the fruits.

If you REALLY want to do it right, read this book and follow the guide: The Fasting Diet: Steven Bailey: 9780658011450: Amazon.com: Books A pre-fast diet really makes for a better experience and the ease back stage is beneficial as well. Many people just jump right in (myself included) and wish they had prepped better at the start.

Keep me posted (PM if you want) as I am interested to hear how it goes.

mtbr member
    On day 3 of the Reboot w/Joe 3-day juice fast. 1st two days I felt weak. Today I feel a bit more back to normal and will even do some exercising. I typically weight 144-146 and my weigh in this morning was 140. I know I'll gain some weight back once I'm on solid food again but I can't remember the last time I saw 140 on the scale.

Puro Vida!

So my fiancť was able to burn out a Vitamix! Don't ask-I told her to take it easy on it when she was placing the veggies in it-
    So we went and got a slow juicer-a Hurlow I think it is-but see the Omega has a longer warranty. Costco does sell the Hurlow file 299 and is a great place to make returns if need be-so debating on which one-both are basically the same-made in the same factory. Where can I get a BB&B coupon if we go for the Omega-anyone know? I signed up online for the one time free one and never for it.

mtbr member
    I went to the doc yesterday for a consultation on a penis reduction surgery that I have been thinking about for YEARS. I hadn't been in to see him since I started the diet change. Blood pressure is completely normal after 5 months and kept the weight off. All of my other ailments have also gone away and sleeping great! I juice every morning now and I tend to seek out better foods at restaurants. I took big leap and quit drinking booze too. I miss getting drunk but I like feeling healthy better. Once I get my over-sized penis under control, I will be a new man.

Hope to start a new fast in a month or so and a bigger one in July.

Great job thatdrewguy and Nelson...I still owe you some money! Maybe sign up for their newsletters...I get them in the mail from time to time.

Bashtan...did you ever take the leap? Curious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    Where can I get a BB&B coupon if we go for the Omega-anyone know? I signed up online for the one time free one and never for it.
    We get at least one BBB coupon a week in the snail mail mailbox... do you not receive spam mail? if you seriously cannot come up on one let me know I will like mail you a bunch.

Puro Vida!

I guess not from them? I think I used to, but looked around the house and nada! Maybe today-I think Wednesdays are junk mail days? If not-ill take you up on that offer for one-

HTFU!
    I went to the doc yesterday for a consultation on a penis reduction surgery that I have been thinking about for YEARS. I hadn't been in to see him since I started the diet change. Blood pressure is completely normal after 5 months and kept the weight off. All of my other ailments have also gone away and sleeping great! I juice every morning now and I tend to seek out better foods at restaurants. I took big leap and quit drinking booze too. I miss getting drunk but I like feeling healthy better. Once I get my over-sized penis under control, I will be a new man.
    Talk about being desperate to drop some grams.
    Be careful with that surgery. I had the same procedure and sadly they took off a little too much. Good thing I have been married for a while and was not using it anyway. I recommend bringing in an ESI or whatever grip you use, for the doc to reference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I jumped on that new fad "Intermittent fasting" and have great results - still drink, eat steak, ice cream, PIZZA dairy you name it (had 3 double chodoclate brownies and a huge bowl of the kids cereal after dinner that pissed off the wife last night) Just do it in my "eating window" great job on the "juicing" but for me life is too short I love to eat what ya'll are giving up LoL

just another means to an end I suppose

results after about 9 months of IF

Keiths Iphone Pics Feb8 2013 2336 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

mtbr member
    For me, life is too short to enter old age tired, sick, and out of shape. I want to be able to send it when I'm 60...heck 70+. That wasn't going to happen at the pace I was going. Feel good about the direction I am taking this even if it means giving up decadent moments. You say Fad but I say results.

Then again, I'll probably end up getting hit by a bus so maybe you are on to something.

mtbr member
    Bashtan...did you ever take the leap? Curious.
    Sorry, missed the question - "did not get a memo".

I wasn't feeling entirely comfortable, our son was coming for spring break from UCB... So, we decided to take your advice, buy the book (got it yesterday), study it (enema does not seem exciting) and then proceed. In the meantime, as I really got bought into the idea, I tried to play with it, replace breakfast, lunch or even both with juices (veggie or mix with fruit juices), continuing riding bike - just checking how it's gonna be.

Well... Last Sunday I went up Kennedy and it was kinda OKish up to the tree. But than it went really fast downhill - at some point just raising my arm would raise HR by several beats. Mounting on the bike after some rest would hike HR 15-20 beats. I was devastated looking at these changes in HR and feeling completely exhausted. I ended up walking last 2 walls and even preceding hill.

So, I figured maybe I'll just ride road bike around "Kannon/Shennady" during the fast and will not do any MTB rides for the time. But overall I came to the conclusion that it is possible and I can do the juice fast (not sure about water fast, though it seems to make more sense).

Did not do juice lunch for couple last days and kinda missing it already... Tomorrow getting back on juice lunch. Current schedule - send the kid back to UCB this weekend and start pre-fast preparation next Friday, than starting Monday - the fast. Still debating the length of the fast to be planned - 5 days or more.

mtbr member
    Sorry, missed the question - "did not get a memo".

I wasn't feeling entirely comfortable, our son was coming for spring break from UCB... So, we decided to take your advice, buy the book (got it yesterday), study it (enema does not seem exciting) and then proceed. In the meantime, as I really got bought into the idea, I tried to play with it, replace breakfast, lunch or even both with juices (veggie or mix with fruit juices), continuing riding bike - just checking how it's gonna be.

Well... Last Sunday I went up Kennedy and it was kinda OKish up to the tree. But than it went really fast downhill - at some point just raising my arm would raise HR by several beats. Mounting on the bike after some rest would hike HR 15-20 beats. I was devastated looking at these changes in HR and feeling completely exhausted. I ended up walking last 2 walls and even preceding hill.

So, I figured maybe I'll just ride road bike around "Kannon/Shennady" during the fast and will not do any MTB rides for the time. But overall I came to the conclusion that it is possible and I can do the juice fast (not sure about water fast, though it seems to make more sense).

Did not do juice lunch for couple last days and kinda missing it already... Tomorrow getting back on juice lunch. Current schedule - send the kid back to UCB this weekend and start pre-fast preparation next Friday, than starting Monday - the fast. Still debating the length of the fast to be planned - 5 days or more.
    Happy to see you are taking a thoughtful approach rather than just diving in. Doing it right the first time will be a much better experience I thinks.

I really don't think you will need to cut out MT Biking (maybe Kennedy to top...she's a *****. Hit up Priest or Limekiln on the reservoir side...Or Jones Trail off Jones Rd in LG...or Belgatos park or Santa Teresa for good riding without dramatic elevation gain). The fast and the diet you have been on are two completely different animals I believe. You tried to climb Kennedy with your digestion system purging energy reserves and stealing hydration needs. You tried to ride on a diet...not a fast...much tougher and your body will let you know that's not ok. On the fast itself, your internal system will be relatively at rest so you will find you can tackle exercise routines and feel pretty strong in the process. I did multiple 2000ft climbs on my fast and had no issues at all. (I brought veggie juice on my rides to keep me nutrated).

Anyhow, you know your body best but I think you will find that the fast (after the first couple days) will afford you the opportunity to keep riding and hitting the gym. Good luck man and hope the results and experience are positive.

mtbr member
    Pre-fast is through. Interesting experience.

1) Personally I was terrified by 3 tbsp of oil in the morning - it is just way too much. Turned out that lemon + orange + garlic mask it very well.
    2) Oh, boy, the amount of salads to chew these 3 dawas intimidating!
    3) Though slight but constant headache, the wife had serious headache.
    4) Toilet is you friend.

Tuesday/today - 1-st day of fasting. The plan is 5, but who knows how it goes - shorter, longer or on plan. It's quite difficult to tone down sweetness of both, fruit & veggie, juices without lemon/lime/grapefruit. Surely ginger, mint, garlic help a bit, but...

Still debating biking - what and how much. In plans - maybe try to hit St.Joseph/today, Belgatos/Thursday after work. Maybe Kennedy to the tree on Saturday/Sunday, or alternatively and most probably - easier but longer road to Uvas Reservoir and back with 2k' spread along 50 miles.

After reading this thread my main goal was HBP - I'd guess, partially in family, partially due to weight. It's too early to make any conclusions, but maybe BP seems a bit stabilized slightly lower. Weight slowly goes down, but I think I have about 10 "easy pounds" reacquired during the winter, so I do not pay much attention to weight loss above autumn numbers.

mtbr member
    Pre-fast is through. Interesting experience.

1) Personally I was terrified by 3 tbsp of oil in the morning - it is just way too much. Turned out that lemon + orange + garlic mask it very well.
    2) Oh, boy, the amount of salads to chew these 3 dawas intimidating!
    3) Though slight but constant headache, the wife had serious headache.
    4) Toilet is you friend.

Tuesday/today - 1-st day of fasting. The plan is 5, but who knows how it goes - shorter, longer or on plan. It's quite difficult to tone down sweetness of both, fruit & veggie, juices without lemon/lime/grapefruit. Surely ginger, mint, garlic help a bit, but...

Still debating biking - what and how much. In plans - maybe try to hit St.Joseph/today, Belgatos/Thursday after work. Maybe Kennedy to the tree on Saturday/Sunday, or alternatively and most probably - easier but longer road to Uvas Reservoir and back with 2k' spread along 50 miles.

After reading this thread my main goal was HBP - I'd guess, partially in family, partially due to weight. It's too early to make any conclusions, but maybe BP seems a bit stabilized slightly lower. Weight slowly goes down, but I think I have about 10 "easy pounds" reacquired during the winter, so I do not pay much attention to weight loss above autumn numbers.
    Giddyup! Sorry to hear about the headaches...could be the toxins screaming to stay put or the crash from coming off of sugar or caffeine. Hope it gets better...should. Have you noticed an increase in senses particularly smell? I remember that part clearly! Anyhow, make lots of juice and limit the fruits to just flavor your drinks. UDOs oil is also pretty awesome to add...makes the drinks taste a little better and really good for you. It's pricy but sold at WF...I was doing a TBLS per 32 ounce drink or there abouts. Also, filter your drinks with a cheese cloth or something similar...helps reduce the thickness of the drink, less micro pulpy, easier to drink and easier on the absorption. Also, be sure to bring the juice on your rides...helps a lot!

Keep us posted and stoked to hear going for it!

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast