Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Great advice about alternating textures. I actually like combining textures, seems to get more juice and reduce clogging. I'll normally put a stalk of celery or a carrot in side of the opening while the other half of the opening is filled with romaine/kale. Really just anything solid to go in with the leafy fibrous veggies, apples/pears, carrots/celery, cucumbers. Too many stalks of greens and our cheapo braun juicer will get really bogged down.

Has anyone had success with rejuicing the pulp to get more juice? Apparently you can get a ton more juice by running the pulp through again but I ended up getting less than half a cup and making a mess the last time I made 32+oz of juice.

mtbr member
    Admittedly I didnt read the whole thread but I did scan it..

I dont see the benefit of juicing except to get fresh, delicous juice. For that I totally get it.

But...it looks to me that when you juice your losing the fiber and some of the nutrients, but keeping all the sugars and calories.

So for those that are juicing up recipes like apples,kale, and cucumbers...whatever, why not just eat those items in their raw state? Your keeping the nutrients and fiber.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhack View Post

I dont see the benefit of juicing except to get fresh, delicous juice. For that I totally get it.

But...it looks to me that when you juice your losing the fiber and some of the nutrients, but keeping all the sugars and calories.

So for those that are juicing up recipes like apples,kale, and cucumbers...whatever, why not just eat those items in their raw state? Your keeping the nutrients and fiber.
    The idea of the fasting is to avoid fibre, solids and whatnot so that your digestive system can shut down. If you eat the fruits, you'll need to digest them. At least I got more energy in the days I fasted compared to now, the average day.

I lost some weight (regained some of it, the food in the "plumbings" weights something), felt good, and realized some of the things I used to eat are not that sensible. I'll probably do it again, but instead of 10 days, I'll do a shorter period, like 5 days, but with a proper introduction (3 days before I start adjusting my diet). Bear in mind I'm vegetarian, so it isn't that much different in terms of what to buy, but more about eating raw stuff (and avoid the snacks... it doesn't matter how many diets I do, I always end up buying some sort of crisps or whatever a few weeks later. Luckily now I get healthier snacks, and even started making my own muffins and cookies with way less sugar, and made with whole flour etc etc)

So, in short, the difference between eating and drinking is the digestion
    Keith Scott: If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking

mtbr member
    The biggest advantage of doing a juice fast is that you give your digestive system a break by getting all of the nutrients from the vegetables and fruits in an easy to digest liquid form. You can intake the nutrients from several platefuls of veggies in a glass or two of juice. All the fiber does is slow down your digestion and make your body work harder to break down the food and extract the nutrients. The thought is that your body burns so much energy through digestion that could be spent healing tissue or fighting infections and diseases.

Going raw vegan with the fast puts your body into a different digestive process as well where you start to burn fat for fuel rather than sugars/carbs in your belly. Most of the talk in this thread has been about a lot of green juice with very little fruit added. Green veggies work wonders to put your body into a alkaline state which allows your immune system to work better. There are a ton of benefits to lowering the acidity of your body, faster muscle recovery being one of the biggies among the athletic community.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G_g View Post
    The idea of the fasting is to avoid fibre, solids and whatnot so that your digestive system can shut down. If you eat the fruits, you'll need to digest them. At least I got more energy in the days I fasted compared to now, the average day.

I lost some weight (regained some of it, the food in the "plumbings" weights something), felt good, and realized some of the things I used to eat are not that sensible. I'll probably do it again, but instead of 10 days, I'll do a shorter period, like 5 days, but with a proper introduction (3 days before I start adjusting my diet). Bear in mind I'm vegetarian, so it isn't that much different in terms of what to buy, but more about eating raw stuff (and avoid the snacks... it doesn't matter how many diets I do, I always end up buying some sort of crisps or whatever a few weeks later. Luckily now I get healthier snacks, and even started making my own muffins and cookies with way less sugar, and made with whole flour etc etc)

So, in short, the difference between eating and drinking is the digestion
    I will add that you can only eat so many carrots and such in one meal. For me, juicing gives me the ability to ingest massive amounts of pure nutrients from a wide variety of sources (kale, carrots, bell peppers, cucs, etc) in one sitting without having to contend with the fiber which I can get throughout the rest of my day. The actual fast is awesome but does require zero fiber so you can heal, detoxify and reallocate energy...the juice allows you to get nutrients so you can stay healthy and energetic. Highly recommend or check out some of the movies/books mentioned throughout the thread.
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Ah ok I get it..interesting. Thanks for the insight.

mtbr member
    @ ask, thanks for the info and yes that guy is a little out there.
    I was not thinking BB&B would give you 20% off on such a expensive item,
    but with that discount that juicer gets close to the price of the 8004 so I might go for it.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhack View Post

There is no scientific evidence for "detox" or "giving your digestive system a rest". It needs to rest like your heart needs to rest. The majority of "energy" used in digestion is not from physically pushing solid food thru the system, but happens on a microscopic level, e.g. breaking down proteins into amino acid, converting amino acids into sugars, sugars into fats, etc.

Keep in mind that there are two types of fiber:soluble and insoluble. The former carries nutrients with it and gets absorbed by the body. The latter gives your intestinal lining the scrubbing it needs to slough off cells in its normal process of rejuvenation.

Most food nuts have seen the Lustig lecture "Sugar: The bitter truth", where he ironically states that "fructose is a toxin... But fruit is ok!" Fruit is basically fructose, plus some fiber (a buffer of sorts) and nutrients. IF you "juice" an apple, pear, grape, etc, you now have the same commodity sugar water filler that you see in most grocery store juices. A no-fiber fructose veggie drink is like Gatorade with a Centrum.

With that being said, there are a lot of benefits to juicing or even blending. One is getting a micronutrient punch to the face. Another is that it's faster and easier than cooking. Also, you can power down disgusting things that you normally wouldn't eat, like beets, bitter greens, celery stalks, etc.

There's really only two things I recommend against. One is going on a full-time zero-fiber fast. The other is believing some of the pseudoscience behind it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    There is no scientific evidence for "detox" or "giving your digestive system a rest". It needs to rest like your heart needs to rest. The majority of "energy" used in digestion is not from physically pushing solid food thru the system, but happens on a microscopic level, e.g. breaking down proteins into amino acid, converting amino acids into sugars, sugars into fats, etc.

Keep in mind that there are two types of fiber:soluble and insoluble. The former carries nutrients with it and gets absorbed by the body. The latter gives your intestinal lining the scrubbing it needs to slough off cells in its normal process of rejuvenation.

Most food nuts have seen the Lustig lecture "Sugar: The bitter truth", where he ironically states that "fructose is a toxin... But fruit is ok!" Fruit is basically fructose, plus some fiber (a buffer of sorts) and nutrients. IF you "juice" an apple, pear, grape, etc, you now have the same commodity sugar water filler that you see in most grocery store juices. A no-fiber fructose veggie drink is like Gatorade with a Centrum.

With that being said, there are a lot of benefits to juicing or even blending. One is getting a macronutrient punch to the face. Another is that it's faster and easier than cooking. Also, you can power down disgusting things that you normally wouldn't eat, like beets, bitter greens, celery stalks, etc.

There's really only two things I recommend against. One is going on a full-time zero-fiber fast. The other is believing some of the pseudoscience behind it.
    Excuse me while I put on this broken record...one sec.

Science or not, I did the fast and know personally MANY who have as well...results were dramatic, verifiable, and visible. Everyone I know who has tried this correctly have been thoroughly impressed with the results and the ease with which to accomplish. Give it a shot and tell me it's fake...I think you will be hard pressed to prove me wrong. Or don't. Whatever. I get your MO. Last response from me to you but I do think your icon is funny.

Save Jesus
    I dunno why you need to be defensive, as your experience doesn't disprove anything I said. e.g. "feeling great and full of energy" does not prove the existence of "detox" and "intestinal resting". And nothing I said implies that eating liquid veggies is bad.

PRETENDURO
    Frikkin’ Vita Mix suddenly stopped working tonight. Fortunately it’d almost made a perfect smoothie consistency (a little more blending time would have been optimal) before crapping out. Just plain stopped working. Unplugged it, let it sit for a few minutes, plugged it back in, still no workie. The real shˇtter is that we’ve had it for just a bit more than one month, and have used it perhaps just a dozen times. It has a 7-year warranty, I just hope we can take it back to Costco for a replacement without having to deal with the “send back the unit to the manufacturer and wait with your fingers crossed for six weeks while we try to find a reason to try and pin the blame on you, the consumer” .
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    Here is a good video to watch regarding clogging the Omega... this guy is a bit over zealous / serious juice fan. He also goes a little overboard with cutting items into tiny chucks and going super slow IMO. I have found that you don't have to wait this long or cut up items so much
    I have VRT350 as well and use to get clogging with celery until I saw that youtube video that you posted. The guy recommends chopping the celery into 1/8 to 1/4 inch pieces and that solved the clogging. It's all in the prep work, once it is done properly like you said gravity feeds everything through, I almost never use the plunger.

One thing I notice, after juicing when I need to remove the bowl from the motor unit I have to whack the feeder outlet hard counterclockwise to get it to release. Does yours release any easier?

Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    @ ask, thanks for the info and yes that guy is a little out there.
    I was not thinking BB&B would give you 20% off on such a expensive item,
    but with that discount that juicer gets close to the price of the 8004 so I might go for it.
    Yep, I used the 20% coupon from BB&B.

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    One thing I notice, after juicing when I need to remove the bowl from the motor unit I have to whack the feeder outlet hard counterclockwise to get it to release. Does yours release any easier?
    Mine does this too... seemed like it took a few weeks for the bowl to get tight though. When I first bought it, the bowl was not as tight. Since then I guess I had gotten used to / forgotten about it. This would be my one criticism of this juicer. Other than that, (like you said) once you get the prep down, it rocks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    Mine does this too... seemed like it took a few weeks for the bowl to get tight though. When I first bought it, the bowl was not as tight. Since then I guess I had gotten used to / forgotten about it. This would be my one criticism of this juicer. Other than that, (like you said) once you get the prep down, it rocks!
    Good to know, mines been like that from the beginning. At least there's a 10 year warranty on the juicer. Thanks.

HTFU!

With that being said, there are a lot of benefits to juicing or even blending. One is getting a micronutrient punch to the face. Another is that it's faster and easier than cooking. Also, you can power down disgusting things that you normally wouldn't eat, like beets, bitter greens, celery stalks, etc.

When I first started researching 'juicing detox' years ago I could not find much if any scientific evidence supporting it (doctors etc). Today, not a lot has changed. The difference though, is now you can find the many more experiences of people who have actually done it and testify to the results. This time around I actually researched the people who wrote articles disputing juicing and found many to be writers for a health column or magazine, with no nutritional background, or nutritionists and doctors who only cautioned the dangers. Most were very old and clearly out of touch...no offense to old, out of touch people (ie. one being a retired AF doctor who has written a few articles themed against juicing). Many articles have quotes with links, many of them to newspaper/web articles written by writers, not scientists. Many articles also have the popular quote that there is no scientific evidence supporting the benefits of juicing... Of course it is not pointed out that there is no scientific study disputing the touted benefits of juicing. Because Juicing can be bad for some (diabetics etc.) in this litigious society, I can see why some medical professionals would warn against it rather than encourage it (as it is not for everyone). Keep in mind it use to 'not' be o.k. to exercise if you had a cold or sinus infection, but science has caught up and determined that it is likely to do not harm.
    I guess my point is, don't knock it till you tried it. I have tried it, and I have lost a ton of weight (or about a hundredth of a ton to be more exact). As far as just detoxing, I can agree that it is less likely to help as it is a temporary gig, that, like any fad diet, won't be useful unless it is followed by a lifestyle change. I (and many others) have made juicing part of a lifestyle (one or two meal replacement) that when combined with a healthy meal, will certainly lead to weight loss or better health (for many reasons). As humans, our bodies are made to eat (mainly veggies) so that should not be taken away (as you stated, fiber is a good thing), but in today's society of processed foods, meat over-consumption, steroids and bio-engineered foods, I see juicing as only positive as there is no way I could eat all the veggies I juice (though I agree that one 'would' lose weight if they just ate the veggies).
    Of course the juicing bandwagon is not for everyone. No need to jump on...no need to knock those that do.

Now let's ride!

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    I guess my point is, don't knock it till you tried it.
    I did not "knock it". I am only knocking the pseudo-scientific reasons attributed to its success. Somewhere along the way, people "made up" reasons why juicing works, and because they have awesome results, they think it was due to those reasons. I could equally "make up" reasons and say the awesome results are due to eating raw chlorophyll.

Two pages ago I spelled out reasons why I think juicing works well for people, namely the major shift in micro- and macro-nutrient composition in diet, etc, and this at least has semblance of scientific backing. I also proposed that if one thinks that the results are due to "detox" and "intestinal resting", there is another diet that also provides that, and they should try this much easier version to see if they wouldn't still feel awesome.

I have very little doubt that if I got off my thin but hypocritical ass and actually ate more vegetables, whether juiced, blended, steamed, sauteed, or fried and surrounded by meats and fats to increase palatability, I would also feel more awesome. However, I am not going to go on a full-time no-fiber juice diet. I come from an ancient culture with medical history going back thousands of years, where the elders like to ask at the dinner table, "How have you been pooping recently?" Thus I give the squinty eye emoticon to any eating style that will have me squirting out the most vile goo imaginable.

HTFU!
    I come from an ancient culture with medical history going back thousands of years, where the elders like to ask at the dinner table, "How have you been pooping recently?" Thus I give the squinty eye emoticon to any eating style that will have me squirting out the most vile goo imaginable.
    Then you definitely DON"T want to try my morning 'beet' glory recipe. That first poop gave me these eyes -->

I know...TMI.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Frikkin’ Vita Mix suddenly stopped working tonight. Fortunately it’d almost made a perfect smoothie consistency (a little more blending time would have been optimal) before crapping out. Just plain stopped working. Unplugged it, let it sit for a few minutes, plugged it back in, still no workie. The real shˇtter is that we’ve had it for just a bit more than one month, and have used it perhaps just a dozen times. It has a 7-year warranty, I just hope we can take it back to Costco for a replacement without having to deal with the “send back the unit to the manufacturer and wait with your fingers crossed for six weeks while we try to find a reason to try and pin the blame on you, the consumer” .
    Costco will take it back, with no issue. We're on our 7th iRobot Roomba in 5 years. We've had our vitamix for a couple years, using it almost daily for the past 6 months, it's still going strong

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    Costco will take it back, with no issue. We're on our 7th iRobot Roomba in 5 years. We've had our vitamix for a couple years, using it almost daily for the past 6 months, it's still going strong
    Funny thing happened many hours later last night… I decided to plug it in and power it on again and it is functioning just fine. Not sure WTF to think now. I guess it just needed to “cool down” since the basic smoothie I had it make was too much for it—not as if I were trying to break up tree branches with it or anything.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was thinking about a fast at the beginning of this thread but at 5'9" 145 I'm not sure I need to lose 15lbs. Maybe that beanbag is onto something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Funny thing happened many hours later last night… I decided to plug it in and power it on again and it is functioning just fine. Not sure WTF to think now. I guess it just needed to “cool down” since the basic smoothie I had it make was too much for it—not as if I were trying to break up tree branches with it or anything.
    Were you by any chance running it at the variable speed for an extended period of time? Some of the Vitamix machines do not cool their motors efficiently when run at variable speed, which is why you should switch the left switch up to High when making smoothies. If you were running it on High and it happens again then there's something weird going on and you should probably take it in because it shouldn't overheat making normal smoothies.
    Last edited by Joy of Blending; 02-22-2013 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2000 View Post
    I was thinking about a fast at the beginning of this thread but at 5'9" 145 I'm not sure I need to lose 15lbs. Maybe that beanbag is onto something.
    My wife weighs all but 98 lbs and she recently finished her first 5 day fast with 3 day pre-diet (all veggies with the fiber) and a 7 day ramp up. She lost something like 5lbs total. It's not a starvation and you'll only lose the fat you don't need. Give it a try...you won't regret it! Also, above, I think your spell check turned 'on' into 'onto'.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2000 View Post
    I can't do it for other reasons (medical). I do make green smoothies in the morning for breakfast, but they have Greek yogurt in them, fruit, coconut milk and greens. So smoothies can be part of my diet, just not the whole thing.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member

Veggie Juice Fast: Bike friendly diet that works

I did the deal vitamix style for 10 days, followed by 2 weeks juice for breakfast/ lunch. I only lost 5 lbs, but it's stayed off and I'm losing approx 1 lb/week. Just by juicing in am and paleo-ish dinners for lunch/dinner. My rating is 100% healthier. So thanks to Squashyo, although I still think vegans/vegetarians have some latent homosexual issues
    Not that there is anything wrong with it. I noticed the more veggies I eat the more Lady Gaga I listen to-just sayin

mtbr member
    I am a Vegetarian for over 15 years and never had the urge to listen to the lady,
    your mind was maybe just too clouded by the non veggie food so that you did not realize that you like her.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast