Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Juice contains no fibre, hence no digestion required. My juicer was 30 pounds which is less than 50 dollars.
    Keith Scott: If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking

mtbr member
    One thing I don't understand is the caloric intake when either juice fasting or juicing as a supplement to eating in a healthful way. Does counting calories go out the window when juicing is involved?

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well, juice must contain some calories. But way less than the raw ingredients. Fact is, while I was juice fasting, my body was "burning" almost 1kg of fat per day. Juice being a supplement to eating is what I am doing. Juices until the afternoon and solid food thereafter.

The 2 pounds rebound from starting to eat only solid is disapearing, I re-lost 1 of those pounds. I guess I am not eating enough to fuel my body needs, hence losing weight. From what others have written, 3 quarts of juice per day was a lot more than what I drank. I had like 1 quart... I diluted that 1:1 with water. And drank over 2L water per day (over 2 quarts).

I know that protein contains energy, hence being calories. I'm no expert, but everything you eat/drink should net some calories. Your body might spend more energy to break them down into usable stuff than their energetic value, but that should be other story.

If you juice instead of a meal, or of a snack, I'd say count like 1/10 or something really low of what the food used to juice would net you in terms of calories.

I mean, no way in hell would I be losing 1kg per day if I ate 4 apples, 1 pineapple, 2 oranges, 4 carrots, 1 kale, 1 lettuce and 450grams cellery per day. Most of the sugar from the fruit must go away with the pulp, leaving mostly the nutrients and vitamins. Do some extra research and shed us some light xD

If juice fasting, just drink as much as you want. Just remember not to mix fruit and veggies in same juice (apples are exception), and I tried to drink 2 fruit juices per day (breakfast and dessert) and 3 veggie juices (morning/lunch, afternoon and dinner). I added 2 protein shakes (1 after workout and 1 before bed). Factor in you should be drinking 2l water per day, and you can have tea when you want, you'll have enough
    Keith Scott: If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    One thing I don't understand is the caloric intake when either juice fasting or juicing as a supplement to eating in a healthful way. Does counting calories go out the window when juicing is involved?
    I think there are empty calories and good calories. Empty calories fill you up but your body isn't getting what it needs so it asks for more and converts a lot of it into fat. Veggie juice calories are grade A, 100% good **** so once you re-acclimate the system with this stuff, your overall appetite changes and you start to get by on less. I am not certain but almost positive that you can't OD on veggie juice and what you do put in gets used or flushed out rather than converted to fat.
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    @ G_g why do fruits and vegetables not mix?

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Has to do with the nutrient and whatever chains and how we process them.

I read that online and asked a friend from biology and he confirmed they are somewhat different in the way we absorb them.
    It was too complicated for Me, so I took their word.

Look it up online, it showed up when I did some research pre fast

HTFU!
    Glad to see this. FWIW I have been mixing what seems like a ton of veggies and rotating between adding a large green apple and 1/2 a lemon or an orange and 1/2 lemon. Did not know that the citrus fruits were somehow depriving me of nutrients...fwiw I have not felt a lack of energy but then I am only juicing throughout the day and then eating a reasonable dinner (mostly vegetarian). I will say, that this mornings breakfast/lunch concoction of celery, kale, spinach, romaine, parsley, beet (leaves and all), carrots, tomatoes, an orange and a lemon was pretty tasty. My veggies are nearly out, so I just threw some of everything in there. Dinner was a baked potato with vegetarian chili and a bit of organic cheese and broccoli. Now time for Pilates.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Oh, tomato also doesn't fit nicely with veggies (I was told tomato is now considered fruit... it's due to high acid contents, dunno more details).

Now, all the spices seem that their taste as been cranked up to 11. I tried a bit of mustard, and I was sneezing as soon as I ate that. Salt seems 5x as strong as it was, pepper the same, and vinegar now is unbearable. I dunno how I used all those things previously...Or at least, the amounts that I used, if talking about the spices...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Squashyo, thanks for starting this thread, I was looking into juicing when this thread came up. I was pretty much be a meat and potatoes guy before this and the only way I ate lettuce etc was on a burger (turkey burger) but mixing it up in the vitamix makes it all taste good, which was a little surprising to me. so far I haven't had a bad batch yet and going on my 10th day I am feeling great losing some weight and I have had no desire for meat so the plan is to just keep going on this til I get where I want to be then who knows maybe I will go semi vegan if there is any such thing.
    P.s. I too have noticed certain things like salts, spices being much stronger tasting now, but that is probably a good thing for me since I was trying to reduce my sodium intake before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by G_g View Post
    Oh, tomato also doesn't fit nicely with veggies (I was told tomato is now considered fruit... it's due to high acid contents, dunno more details).

Now, all the spices seem that their taste as been cranked up to 11. I tried a bit of mustard, and I was sneezing as soon as I ate that. Salt seems 5x as strong as it was, pepper the same, and vinegar now is unbearable. I dunno how I used all those things previously...Or at least, the amounts that I used, if talking about the spices...
    Botanically a tomato is a fruit, but nutritionally and from a culinary perspective it's a vegetable...
    But I grew up on a tomato farm, so perhaps I am a little too into tomatoes.

aka baycat
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 01-16-2013 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What evidence is there that drinking this juice removes toxins from the body, or that while not digesting your body has "down time" to do other things? That sounds bogus to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    What evidence is there that drinking this juice removes toxins from the body, or that while not digesting your body has "down time" to do other things? That sounds bogus to me.
    I'd recommend reading the thread or Googling the topic. It's verified again and again via multiple sources and testimonials. I can only speak from personal experience which has been nothing short of awesome. Try it and let us know if it's indeed bogus.

mtbr member
    Well, if you do some googling, this is what comes up...
    (Juice fasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    Scientists, dietitians, and doctors regard detox diets as less effective than water-fasting, and hence generally harmless but a waste of money.[7] Catherine Collins, Chief Dietician of St George’s Hospital Medical School in London, England, states that "The concept of ‘detox’ is a marketing myth rather than a physiological entity. The idea that an avalanche of vitamins, minerals, and laxatives taken over a 2 to 7 day period can have a long-lasting benefit for the body is also a marketing myth."[7]
    Detox diets, depending on the type and duration, are viewed as potentially dangerous and can cause "all kinds of health problems," including muscle loss, decreased metabolism, and an unhealthy re-gaining of fat after the detox ends.[8][9][10][11]
    Not to take anything away from your experience, but one can imagine the benefits may just have arisen from ingesting more veggies&fruit than what your baseline was before (in either juiced, or un-juiced form) as well as from eating less overall than before; one doesn't need a magical 'detox' effect to explain that...

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre View Post
    Well, if you do some googling, this is what comes up...
    (Juice fasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Not to take anything away from your experience, but one can imagine the benefits may just have arisen from ingesting more veggies&fruit than what your baseline was before (in either juiced, or un-juiced form) as well as from eating less overall than before; one doesn't need a magical 'detox' effect to explain that...
    Well this is embarrassing. I guess Catherine Collins completely proved me wrong. Never mind everyone. Continue doing what you were doing before and save your money.

Just kidding. I honestly don't care if people think its bogus...what I have read and seen first hand is that it does work. My blood pressure is normal, I am 15 lbs lighter and keeping it off with very little effort, I have far more energy, people have been telling me I look and act younger, I am riding like a bat out of hell, I have completely shifted my eating habits which would never been possible without the fast, and there was a clear and definite detox occurring during the fast that can only be explained by experiencing it in action. There are going to be naysayers and that's totally fine but I encourage everyone to just give it a shot and then make judgements. I can only tell you the program has completely changed my life and a dozen people I know we'll who took the dive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Well this is embarrassing. I guess Catherine Collins completely proved me wrong. Never mind everyone. Continue doing what you were doing before and save your money.

Just kidding. I honestly don't care if people think its bogus...what I have read and seen first hand is that it does work. My blood pressure is normal, I am 15 lbs lighter and keeping it off with very little effort, I have far more energy, people have been telling me I look and act younger, I am riding like a bat out of hell, I have completely shifted my eating habits which would never been possible without the fast, and there was a clear and definite detox occurring during the fast that can only be explained by experiencing it in action. There are going to be naysayers and that's totally fine but I encourage everyone to just give it a shot and then make judgements. I can only tell you the program has completely changed my life and a dozen people I know we'll who took the dive.
    No problem - obviously it worked for you and those other folks; as you mention it helped change your eating habits, enough reason to be happy about it. I'm just trying to help more folks on board by pointing out that there really is no science in favor of doing those enemas , and that you could get probably get similar benefits by eating less overall and more veg&fruit specifically - blended, juiced, sauteed, in whatever form. Which I guess should be just common sense...

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    After eating for a few days, weight stabilized at the same it was after the end of the juicing. Feeling more energetic, and the sleep patterns are back to normal I am eating only from afternoon onwards.

Everyone says I'm a lot leaner, and my lifting records keep increasing, so I'd say by no means I'm losing muscle. For the first time in my life, I look ripped.

I have been vegetarian for a while, so I wouldn't say it is from having more vegetables in the diet.
    For me, the fasting turned the body into fat-burning mode, nothing like I had experienced before.

It might be bogus, it seems to work for me. I'll do some blood tests to see if there is improvement

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre View Post
    No problem - obviously it worked for you and those other folks; as you mention it helped change your eating habits, enough reason to be happy about it. I'm just trying to help more folks on board by pointing out that there really is no science in favor of doing those enemas , and that you could get probably get similar benefits by eating less overall and more veg&fruit specifically - blended, juiced, sauteed, in whatever form. Which I guess should be just common sense...
    Yes BUT it is extremely hard for many to 'simply' go from a gluttonous diet to a 'rather dull' veggie diet with moderation. These diets inveriably fail and I have failed countless times in the past by saying I'm just gonna start eating better...she don't work. It is my strong opinion that the fast detoxes, removes certain addictions (fats, sugar, salt) , and retrains the taste buds to crave these healthy foods. I can't handle salty foods now. I have zero need for sugar or caffeine. And I eat less per sitting. This is simply something that never ever would have been possible for me had I not gone through the fast and the stuff that went with it.

Hope that some are not turned off by these last few comments because I still stand strongly for a fasting alternative to better health and stronger riding. Word.

HTFU!
    The proof is in the juice!
    I've lost nearly 15lbs, I am exercising more (more than just mountain biking once or twice a week), I am eliminating bad habits and starting good, sustainable habits and I am only juicing 2-3x a day and eating a sensible meal (heavy on the veggies). Is there a strong mental component? Sure, but that is the case with any diet change. And with any 'diet' you suffer the risk of putting back on all the pounds (or more) when that diet is over. We all know the most successful diets are those that lead to lifestyle changes that help ingrain healthy habits and choices. This may not be everyone's cup o' juice, but it can work (lead to a healthy lifestyle) if given a chance. I am a firm skeptic on many, many things; however, experiencing is believing, so there ya go.

Save Jesus
    There is no scientific evidence supporting the notion of "detox", nor of giving your digestive system a rest. It needs to rest like your heart needs to rest. Also, fiber is important because it helps the intestinal lining slough off old cells in a continual process of rejuvenation.

People's wondrous and magical results are most likely a combination of:

Eliminating bad food, either specifically or generally
    A micronutrient punch to the face
    Major shift in macronutrient distribution combined with caloric reduction
    Food reward / satiety issues, i.e. drinking a bland slurry will make you lose weight without feeling hungry
    Whole Health Source: Food Reward: a Dominant Factor in Obesity, Part II

mtbr member
    My veggie fast was an amazing experience and feel it did wonders for my body and mind. I guarantee that anyone who has done a veggie fast will tell you the same thing. Until you've actually experienced it or spoken with someone who has, in my opinion, you are speculating but that's fine - good on ya. I plan to do two a year...I highly recommend anyone curious to try it if you are looking for a healthy change that is lasting (and let's you log some biking miles in the process - which is odd because where did all that energy come from with no food in the system other than juice - head scratch). Now, off to make a big ole juice and figure out where I am going to ride today...weather is looking better and better over here in Norcal! woohoo!

mtbr member
    My veggie fast was an amazing experience and feel it did wonders for my body and mind. I guarantee that anyone who has done a veggie fast will tell you the same thing. Until you've actually experienced it or spoken with someone who has, in my opinion, you are speculating but that's fine - good on ya. I plan to do two a year..
    I'm starting mine this weekend but looking to see how the changes compare to vegan weeks that happen on occasion. Sounds from your posts that you're already vegetarian but I'm curious how many of the other adopters on this thread have ever just quit meat/ meat products for more than a week to see how much better your body can feel.

On my road bike, veggie weeks (not juicing) typically end with me averaging 1-2mph faster than weeks that I eat meat. Excited to see if this juice cleanse will bump that up any more.

Committed
    My veggie fast was an amazing experience and feel it did wonders for my body and mind. I guarantee that anyone who has done a veggie fast will tell you the same thing. Until you've actually experienced it or spoken with someone who has, in my opinion, you are speculating but that's fine - good on ya. I plan to do two a year...I highly recommend anyone curious to try it if you are looking for a healthy change that is lasting (and let's you log some biking miles in the process - which is odd because where did all that energy come from with no food in the system other than juice - head scratch). Now, off to make a big ole juice and figure out where I am going to ride today...weather is looking better and better over here in Norcal! woohoo!
    Come on, we all know you're pushing juicers as part of a syndicate of juicer manufacturers and receiving kickbacks for every one sold as a result of this thread.

Fess up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Come on, we all know you're pushing juicers as part of a syndicate of juicer manufacturers and receiving kickbacks for every one sold as a result of this thread.

Fess up.
    How dare you sir?!!! My intentions are nothing short of honorable and for the well being of my fellow MTB community. However, for those of you that would like to sign up for my Veggie Juice Fast Training Course, Act NOW and I will throw in a bonus Mind Cleanse starter pack AT NO ADDITIONAL COST! Just $299.99 per minute it's a STEAL!!! (Will accept bike trade for Scott Genius 720 - 650B)

Committed
    How dare you sir?!!! My intentions are nothing short of honorable and for the well being of my fellow MTB community. However, for those of you that would like to sign up for my Veggie Juice Fast Training Course, Act NOW and I will throw in a bonus Mind Cleanse starter pack AT NO ADDITIONAL COST! Just $299.99 per minute it's a STEAL!!! (Will accept bike trade for Scott Genius 720 - 650B)
    Are enemas included with that package?

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast