Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    I ended/gave up on my juice fast on the 8th day yesterday so I thought I'd chime in with my experiences.
    My primary motivation to try this is for weight loss. In the 7 days that I did the juice fast I lost about 10 pounds, since eating yesterday afternoon, I gained back 3 pounds already.
    Ideally, I'd like to drop about 15 pounds total to maintain a healthy weight(5'9" 153-155lbs) so I have probably 8 more pounds to go.

During my fast, I did feel more alert and awake but I also felt like energy level were down. On day 1 and day 3 of the fast I tried to do my normal ride up Pleasanton Ridge. Both rides I was definitely more tired than normal when I got to the top. On both rides I cut my ride somewhat short by taking the most direct way back down to my car. On day 5 and 6 I tried to ride my new trainer and day 5 was ok but day 6 I had to stop after 30 minutes, juice, and then ride another 30 minutes.

As far as food cravings/being hungry goes, the 2nd day of the fast was the worst day for me with pretty severe food cravings even though I wasn't really hungry, I just wanted to eat stuff for some reason. After the 2nd-3rd day, the cravings subsided somewhat but never really went away completely. My daily routine during the fast seemed to consist of waking feeling good, but as the day wore on I get more and more cravings until dinner time when I'm ready to give up and start eating again. Same thing happened yesterday and in the late afternoon I caved and started eating again.

For the future I plan to stick to juicing and for now will replace 1 or 2 meals a day with juicing until I reach my weight goal, then I will probably switch over to blending for veggie/fruit shakes to maintain weight.

Overall it was a good experience and I will probably do a 5-7 day fast once or twice a year and maybe some 2-3 day fasts here and there.
    Terrific write up and nice work! Curious about a couple things:
    1) this was juice ONLY, yes?
    2) did you do a pre-fast diet or just jump right in? (pre-fast really helps with the first three days and weight loss)
    3) how much did you drink per day and did you equal that with water?

What surprises me the most was that on the 8th day, your hunger was too strong to keep going. On day 8, I had zero food hunger/craving. Puzzling. (without doing enemas, the body is unable to get the nutrients so if you did not do this awkward step, may have contributed to the cravings as you may not have been getting all the nutrients needed to ward of cravings...just a hunch)

Also, your weight gain is simply the weight of food in your body and water...fear not!

Great job all the same...I am certain you purged lots of bad stuff and seems the experience was valuable.
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    So is your poo green?
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Terrific write up and nice work! Curious about a couple things:
    1) this was juice ONLY, yes?
    2) did you do a pre-fast diet or just jump right in? (pre-fast really helps with the first three days and weight loss)
    3) how much did you drink per day and did you equal that with water?

What surprises me the most was that on the 8th day, your hunger was too strong to keep going. On day 8, I had zero food hunger/craving. Puzzling. (without doing enemas, the body is unable to get the nutrients so if you did not do this awkward step, may have contributed to the cravings as you may not have been getting all the nutrients needed to ward of cravings...just a hunch)

Also, your weight gain is simply the weight of food in your body and water...fear not!

Great job all the same...I am certain you purged lots of bad stuff and seems the experience was valuable.
    Yup only juice. I got a cheapie Hamilton beach big mouth juicer off amazon for $40 cuz I wasn't willing to drop $200 on something I might only use for a week(looking to get an omega 8006 juicer now though)
    I didn't really do a per-fast, just jumped in. In fact, the day I started I went in with the thought of just trying it for 1 meal and seeing what happened. I even bought a sandwich for lunch in case I couldn't take it when I went shopping for all the produce.
    I drank a pint glass full each time I juice and I would drink 3 glasses a day if I didn't exercise that day. If I exercised, I would drink 1 or 2 more. As for water I would drink at least 3 or more pint glasses a day. I think more like 5 or 6.
    During the fast, it wasn't like I was feeling hungry, I think it was more wanting something that I knew I couldn't have. Hard to explain

Looking back, I feel like I should have read the book first or did more research. I'm going to get the book and follow it next time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I was content with what my book recommended at 3 quarts a day (1 for B, 1 for lunch, 1 for Dinner) this alongside 3 quartz of water a day. You can have more or less...you can't OD on veggie juice. My wife who is much smaller coming in around 100lbs and finished her 5 day fast today, only needed half that.
    Just saw this. 1 quart of juice per meal. That's 2 pints so I guess I wasn't drinking enough juice. Maybe that's why I had the food cravings.

Oh and I forgot to mention, the first 3 days I was dropping 2 lbs a day, then after that it was about 1 lb a day

Again, I think it would be wise for anyone who wants to try this to either get the book recommended by squashyo or do more research before attempting. Don't do it half assed like I did, haha

Puro Vida!
    My poo is not green! Day four of the detox. This morning's meal consisted of a fruit cup of grapefruit, mango, orange and mint. I think my tastebuds are developing a liking to this. Seems I can 'taste' something different in the food that draws me to it over processed food now. Last night we had a few chips on the table and I would usually go for those, but actually preferred the vegetable soup. We have been adding salsa or hot sauce to some of the food-need my hot sauce. Haven't been on a ride so can't say how this had affected my riding, but both I and my fiancé have both agreed we feel more pep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    My poo is not green! Day four of the detox. This morning's meal consisted of a fruit cup of grapefruit, mango, orange and mint. I think my tastebuds are developing a liking to this. Seems I can 'taste' something different in the food that draws me to it over processed food now. Last night we had a few chips on the table and I would usually go for those, but actually preferred the vegetable soup. We have been adding salsa or hot sauce to some of the food-need my hot sauce. Haven't been on a ride so can't say how this had affected my riding, but both I and my fiancé have both agreed we feel more pep.
    Dude, you are kicking ass buddy! Keep it up!

Yes, I noticed an enhanced flavor setting especially when I started eating again. Try to get some cardio going if possible...let's ride soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Just saw this. 1 quart of juice per meal. That's 2 pints so I guess I wasn't drinking enough juice. Maybe that's why I had the food cravings.

Oh and I forgot to mention, the first 3 days I was dropping 2 lbs a day, then after that it was about 1 lb a day

Again, I think it would be wise for anyone who wants to try this to either get the book recommended by squashyo or do more research before attempting. Don't do it half assed like I did, haha
    Yeah, sounds like you could have really boosted your nutritional intake by more than double. Would've helped a lot I think. I went willy nilly and didn't do the pre-diet which made day 1 and 2 a little harder than normal. My wife just finished hers and she had zero problems all the way through (she did 5 days...wanted to go longer but a party next week shot it down).

I hope you didn't dive right into a pulled pork sandwich...you really should ease back in with mostly veggies and fruit for 5 days.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm on day 5, the results in weight loss ain't that huge, but in terms of body fat/muscle definition, they are clearly visible. I can relate partially to pwu_1 cravings. I have been vegetarian for a while, so, it ain't craving for bacon or a steak or whatever. It is more like, I want to chew something.

The sleep patterns keep awkward, but I always wake up full of energy. Also, the more free time I have, the rougher the desire to chew something is... If I keep busy all day, I don't have any. The whey protein + water keep me full for a while, and completely subside the desire to chew. Also, hot tea with a hint of honey tastes really good. I am embracing the green juice taste. It is survivable, not fond on that for now.

Also, today I had to cook the veggies I had because the expiry date was approaching. After 2h in that damn kitchen, I now realize how long cooking took. I usually taste a bit of the food while cooking to know if it needs to cook longer/more salt/etc. I still did that, and the cooked spinach I tasted to measure the salt content were as good as ever. Weird that I like them so much even just boiled, but I can hardly stand their taste when raw. Hopefully it won't be half of a dessert spoon that ruins my fast. Even the small particles in the juice should be a lot more than what I ate...
    Last edited by G_g; 01-10-2013 at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah, sounds like you could have really boosted your nutritional intake by more than double. Would've helped a lot I think. I went willy nilly and didn't do the pre-diet which made day 1 and 2 a little harder than normal. My wife just finished hers and she had zero problems all the way through (she did 5 days...wanted to go longer but a party next week shot it down).

I hope you didn't dive right into a pulled pork sandwich...you really should ease back in with mostly veggies and fruit for 5 days.
    I had some mandarin oranges and a little bit of trail mix as a snack and then for dinner had soup noodles(mostly soup) with mostly vegetables and a little bit of meatball.

Day 2 of eating and I'm finding that I don't feel the need to eat as much as before to feel full.

Definitely going to try and eat more healthy now and get more fresh fruits and vegetables.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just realised that your 3 quarts of juice would equal around 3 litre... I make around 1l of juice per day, and dilute it 1:1 with water. To make those 3 quarts, I'd need a fckton of vegetables and fruit... I guess since I drink the whey protein, I don't need that many green fuel, but even then, 3 quarts of juice seems a lot now (considering how few juice the greens yield, at least compared to fruit)

Puro Vida!
    Going to load up the bike on the truck tomorrow and sneak out of work early. Going to either hit up St Joes, Kennedy or maybe Santa Teresa for a quick ride around noon. Hopefully I'm not any slower than I was or loss of energy-I had none to spare! Thinking I will probably substitute 2 meals with juice at work as often as I can and eat a 'healthier' meal at home with the fam.

mtbr member
    @pwu 1, I just got the Omega 8004 and that has as far as I know the same specs as the 8006 but comes in white and is on amazon $30 cheaper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am going on day 6 and still feel great, For breakfast I use mostly fruit with some spinach & kale or collard and almond milk and to get through the day I blend up about 3 pints with some pineapple or strawberries and mango, spinach, kale, carrots, celery, lettuce and coconut water and just drink a little every hour or two throughout the day.
    I do notice that if I wait to long to have a drink I start craving real chewable food but almost as fast as I drink my juice the craving for solid food subsides. I have dinner reservations for saturday night so lets see if I can eat somewhat well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytripper63 View Post
    I am going to have to look around and see what else is near me, apparently whole paycheck is putting a dent in my bike fund from the looks of your prices.
    Thanks
    My local market was closed when I finally made it back to the neighborhood tonight, so I stopped at safeway for tomorrows dranks - I got all of the aforementioned ingredients all organic except the carrots and cucumbers (as before) and it was $2 more expensive (less the pineapple since I have a few at home - so add $3.50 for that).

HTFU!
    UPDATE
    Feeling pretty good about myself. I had originally planned on a 3-7 day detox (or more), but instead I have been juicing during the day (usually 3 juices of ~20 ounces each) and eating a sensible meal (often organic and meat-free) for dinner and exercising ~4 days a week with one of those days being a big ride. The results have been fantastic thus far.

My weight at the start of juicing (December 27th).
    Name:  186.2(2).jpg
Views: 685
Size:  100.6 KB

My weight today (Jan.12th) just over two weeks later (and a day after a big ride). Probably twice a week I have had big dinners at family gatherings, or watching football, but the weight still keeps coming off.
    Veggie Juice Fast:  Bike friendly diet that works-174.6.jpg

Definitely getting addicted to seeing the weight come off, even though I know I am at the stage where it will come off slower. I've been drinking less beer, eating less ice-cream (none in fact, though there are two 1/2 gallons in the freezer), avoiding fast food, and just eating less all around. This morning was a big deal. I was at a fundraiser at my daughters school and they had free donuts for all the volunteers. I walked over, looked at them (a few of my favorites were in there--old fashion and cake donuts), I smelled them and they smelled great, but then went to my car and grabbed an apple. Sure it was solid food, but I knew they would have donuts there, so eating that apple while others were scarfing down donuts...well, lets just say I felt pretty damn proud and knew at that point that I will indeed achieve my overall weight and fitness goals.
    I am a Believer!
    Last edited by S.O.B.; 01-12-2013 at 04:19 PM.

PRETENDURO
    Nice work, you (formerly fat) S.O.B.!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    We have a dehydrator and dried apples saved me more than once when my sweet tooth started itching.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well done

By the end of day 7, I have dropped from 75kg to 69kg. That should be like 13 pounds. I guess when I restart eating, at least 3-5 pound will come back. If the body fat doesn't return, that is fine by me. I'll try to keep up to day 10, but today everyone at home made piri-piri chicken, a traditional dish from home. I ended up tasting the sauce with a bit of bread. I didn't eat the chicken, or anything else, but had to taste the sauce (both for respect to the cooker, and due to the smell).

I am actually considering restarting eating salad tomorrow, and in Monday introduce cooked veggies, and by wednesday resume with my veggie diet. It is not that this is hard, but I miss chewing something. The idea would be juices through the day and salad at night. I still don't enjoy that much the darker greens, while lettuce and the other light greens are easy peasy. I guess since my eating has me losing weight since August, then getting back to it with the lunch and breakfast changed into juice, will only keep that behaviour. Basically, as long as I keep eating smart, it should be fine.

Any idea why in the reboot with joe they don't juice exclusively for more than 5 days? Yesterday was rough for me, possibly due to the below freezing temperatures outside, but since the weather has been this cold, getting up in the morning is hard, I don't feel the same energy spike that I felt in days 2-5... Maybe my body is fighting the cold from the night (the heating is broken, so even inside, it is cold.) On the other hand, everyone else at home went sick, and I have been fine

mtbr member
    How is muscle recovery on this diet? My gf and I are about to to take on a juice diet starting Wednesday or Thursday.

I'm mostly vegetarian these days and tend to feel all of these bonuses described (more energy, more alert, faster on the bike, etc) when I go full vegetarian for weeks on end. Meat seems to slow me down. That being said, I'm a bike commuter that puts in 45 minutes of hard riding to the office and coming home and can feel the difference the next day if I dont have my hemp protein smoothie at the end of the day.

Not sure if its just the green stuff that I put in the smoothie (hemp protein + spinach and kale) or the protein itself that makes me feel so well the next day but if I skip the smoothie I'm in pain trying to ride days in a row.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    How is muscle recovery on this diet? My gf and I are about to to take on a juice diet starting Wednesday or Thursday.

I'm mostly vegetarian these days and tend to feel all of these bonuses described (more energy, more alert, faster on the bike, etc) when I go full vegetarian for weeks on end. Meat seems to slow me down. That being said, I'm a bike commuter that puts in 45 minutes of hard riding to the office and coming home and can feel the difference the next day if I dont have my hemp protein smoothie at the end of the day.

Not sure if its just the green stuff that I put in the smoothie (hemp protein + spinach and kale) or the protein itself that makes me feel so well the next day but if I skip the smoothie I'm in pain trying to ride days in a row.
    I can only speak for personal experience but I felt no ill effects mentioned above. 45 minutes both ways should be no problem at all as long as you are juicing at work. You will have so much energy that I think you will KOM this commute. One thing I would recommend however is to start on a Friday so that when Monday rolls around, you have hit that energy phase. If you start Wed/Thurs, you may find it hard to work as your body flushes the remaining foods and settles into the detox. I say try without the additional protein and if you find it's not working, have the protein on hand...either way, you're gonna benefit.

ALSO, HIGHLY recommend doing the pre-diet (something I didn't do). Use the first three days to purge your system of bile/mucus/toxins by starting the day drinking a healthy shot of olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. This tricks your system into thinking a double cheeseburger is on the way so takes into the stomach all kinds of bad stuff and bile to prepare for the digestion. You follow this shot with tons of raw veggies/fruit and herbal laxatives/liver tonic which flushes all that crap out. This really helps in detoxing in mass quantities right off the bat which makes for transitioning into the fast WAY easier. Most people say the first three days are rough but with this regiment, you can reduce and almost eliminate the side effects of starting a fast.

Personally, I would read the book I mentioned on page one and follow that to a tee.

Good luck and have fun...it's a wild but fun ride.

Great job SOB and G-g by the way!

Puro Vida!
    I finished up the 5 day detox on Friday. Went on a leisure ride to St Joseph's from Campbell around noon. Felt ok, had enough strength to make it up and back with no problem, but did feel a little lack of energy. Took a honey stinger package half way into St Joseph's which helped.
    Saturday and Sunday ate 'normal' food. Went to the supermarket to grab stuff for juicing this week. I know my pants feel looser and I feel better overall. I need to read the book further to understand this better. Overall I think this is something I want in my life. Thanks for starting the thread. Congrats to everyone doing it and those who tried and got something out of it!

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am on day 2 of normal food. Surprisingly, food doesn't taste anywhere near as good as it did before.
    I'll stick with fruit juice for breakfast, and keep juicing until lunch, and only from them onwards eat solid.

I feel so full with so less food it is impressive. I lifted while doing the fast, but took protein shakes (whey protein and water), 1 scoop each (25g), twice a day. Never felt so good. Day 6 was rough, but I guess it is relate do a 10ºC drop in temperature in London.

I am feeling pretty bad after dinner, I ate what would have been 2/3 of my regular meal and I feel like I'm going to burst (and it was a salad... I can't imagine those who go back to meat and whatnot may feel).

Another problem with solid food is that it takes long to cook. It requires chewing. It requires dedicated eating time (I can easily drink juice and work, but fork and knife food isn't compatible with multitasking). Oh, solid food requires you to poop... Surprisingly, between days 4-8, I didn't require that xD And solid food produces gas in your intestines, just sayin. The GF noticed that today, I guess after a week of clean air, a small leak today made her rage about that... She reinforced the idea about extra energy.

The only side effect from the fast for me was the weird sleep patterns. Waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. full of energy wasn't easy, and rolling to the other side and sleeping more is the worst thing one can do. By day 6 and 7, I was waking at 5 a.m., would drink the tea, watch TV/read book/reply to emails, to make time. Yesterday (day 8), went for a walk at like 6am, still dark, super cold, but perfect to clear the mind.

I have been doing a diary, and I plan to keep doing that until like day 15 or so. By day 2 with food, regained under 2 pounds (I am on 70.0-70.1kg, the number floats). Even if I regain more weight, as long as it isn't fat (if it is only food and leftovers in the digestive system), I don't care about the weight coming back. The reduction in body fat is very noticeable, I could see difference on a daily basis, not through the day, but in the following morning.

I also have pics of that, but dunno if they should end up in the internet. Unfortunately, no day 0 or day 1 pic, only day 2-8 (forgot today also...)

EDIT: I only stopped after day 7 due to a social event this wednesday, and I wanted to give a few days to readapt. Day 1 of normal food was only raw vegetables and fruit (lettuce, tomato, corn and onion salad, some fruits) and juice.
    Today, I reintroduced cooked veggies, and since GF baked cookies, I ate two (my taste buds changed, I would have been all over that cookie tray, but not now...).
    Guess tomorrow I'll bring beans and similar, by day 4, put pasta and rice, and by day 5 carry on with my regular veggie diet. But changing the breakfast and lunch for juice will be forever, so much more energy in the morning. The oatmeal in the morning was a pain to digest in retrospective

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by G_g View Post
    I am on day 2 of normal food. Surprisingly, food doesn't taste anywhere near as good as it did before.
    What I noticed is regular food is SO SALTY, blah! I had vegetarian pho last night for dinner and got a migraine from the salt in the broth and chapped lips. Jebus, I don't remember stuff being so salty. I also ate a single ruffle chip and had to spit it out because it was so salty tasting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What is the difference between eating the stalks of kale, celery, carrots
    vs consuming in the form of juice

does the juicing actually break it down better so it absorb in your digestive tract better?

obviously, I can't afford a juicer.

Puro Vida!
    I think it just makes it more convenient to drink rather than eat a plate full of veggie delights.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast