Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHANguyen View Post
    My SO is planning on doing this and I was thinking about joining in..

That being said, I'm going to Vegas in about a month and will probably drink and eat a ****load for 3 days. With weight loss being my primary goal, is this a bad idea? I feel I'll gain weight back rather quickly due to metabolic adjustments from just those few days.
    I had the same dilemma sort of. What I found was after my cleanse was that I had retrained my taste buds and cravings. Though I had ample opportunity to eat crap but I found myself wanting to seek out healthy food. I think once you go this extra mile, you come out of it looking to maintain the health and work you put in.

As for drinking, I boozed up pretty good over the holidays...I drank about half what I usually drink to but got knockered pretty good all the same. The hang overs weren't super fun but when are they ever.

If you don't want to put pressure on your self, wait till after your trip and start eating better in the meantime...just a thought.

Cheers to you for giving this a go!
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb00 View Post
    Hi,

My wife does a very similar diet routine quarterly. Except the juices are bit more fruit centric and she adds protein powders that were recommended by a doc. These are similar in content to what Hammer products use in their protein mixes for endurance events. I am wondering is anyone else adding a touch of soy or wheat germ ? If so, any side effects ?

BB
    From what my research has showed, you are getting the daily required protein from the green leafy veggie via Amino Acids. Someone also mentioned earlier that your body can only handle so much protein everyday as it is...I'd say not necessary but I imagine it couldn't hurt.

here's a quote I found: "when you are juice fasting... you are taking it lots of amino acids. the amino acids are your building blocks for protein so you don't need to take in more. you'll be getting plenty!"

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    From what my research has showed, you are getting the daily required protein from the green leafy veggie via Amino Acids. Someone also mentioned earlier that your body can only handle so much protein everyday as it is...I'd say not necessary but I imagine it couldn't hurt.

here's a quote I found: "when you are juice fasting... you are taking it lots of amino acids. the amino acids are your building blocks for protein so you don't need to take in more. you'll be getting plenty!"
    Some amino acids can be synthesized in the body using other aminos but there are 8 "essential" aminos than cannot. It's possible to get a complete protein (all 8) entirely from plant sources by combining legumes and whole grains but you can't get it from leafy greens.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Puro Vida!
    So day three in this five day reboot. Last night had Roasted Acorn Squash for the first time. At first I was like what the hell is that? Then poked at it and took a bite-was'nt bad! Actually quite good, it had a few other fixings with it, but 'discovering' a new vegetable was cool.
    Just like everyone is saying, don't really feel any side effects of eating 'less' food like loss of energy. Actually feel a little more alert, which is good since my 2 year old demands my full attention as soon as I get home from work.
    Do find, which I think is true of any healthy eating program, costs more and takes more time to prepare meals. Which is why I guess so many people just go with 'fast food'. Not sure if I've lost any weight since I elected to not judge this by amount of weight lost. Wish i could get some rides in to supplement the detox, but running around with my son will have to do for now. Hopefully next time I go for a ride and sneeze-my short's button won't unbutton! That'll be a good sign!

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWheels View Post
    Can you recommend a substitute for bananas? I'm allergic to bananas so a lot of the juice / smoothie recipes tend to be a problem.
    Do you go into bananaphalactic shock?
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    Do find, which I think is true of any healthy eating program, costs more and takes more time to prepare meals.
    I dunno about you but a full days worth of veggies and fruits to juice most of which are organic is costing me a paltry ~$7.00 a day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger View Post
    Do you go into bananaphalactic shock?
    Always carry an Epi-penana...bahhhhh!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Dude, we need to hook up for these mid-day rides during the week. Likes me some Dogmeat pain!!!
    No doubt! My problem (which is a good one) is that I work from home and am never sure when my schedule opens up so I can never really commit to a specific time...I do however have the luxury of riding at least at some point during the day everyday which kicks ass! Anyhow, I'll PM you when I know I have a window. I am off to ride El Sereno now...seems cold out there.

mtbr member
    I'm getting the hang of using the juicer. Today was an orange colored juice with sweet potato, red bell pepper, carrot, apple and cara-cara orange. I still need to consume all the stuff already bought that is in the refrigerator before starting on any kind of fasting so the juice at the moment is just supplementing regular eating. Unless of course if someone has a juicing recipe for pacific cod...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Some amino acids can be synthesized in the body using other aminos but there are 8 "essential" aminos than cannot. It's possible to get a complete protein (all 8) entirely from plant sources by combining legumes and whole grains but you can't get it from leafy greens.
    Thanks Andy...I am definitely no expert by a long shot so appreciate the call out here. The articles I am seeing say you really do not need to add protein but nothing says it's harmful or a bad idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    I'm getting the hang of using the juicer. Today was an orange colored juice with sweet potato, red bell pepper, carrot, apple and cara-cara orange. I still need to consume all the stuff already bought that is in the refrigerator before starting on any kind of fasting so the juice at the moment is just supplementing regular eating. Unless of course if someone has a juicing recipe for pacific cod...
    Cod juice=gag reflex...even just thinking about it.

orthonormal
    Thanks Andy...I am definitely no expert by a long shot so appreciate the call out here. The articles I am seeing say you really do not need to add protein but nothing says it's harmful or a bad idea.
    I'm guessing that they don't mention it because protein takes a lot more work to digest than the simple carbohydrates you're getting from juice and you said the idea behind what you're doing is to give those systems a rest while you cleanse. A free form amino supplement might fit in with that idea better than whole protein (chains of amino acids) since those can be directly absorbed into the bloodstream.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by markj2k4 View Post
    I dunno about you but a full days worth of veggies and fruits to juice most of which are organic is costing me a paltry ~$7.00 a day.
    I cant even come close to that, what do your drinks consist of?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytripper63 View Post
    I cant even come close to that, what do your drinks consist of?
    1 day =
    2 granny smith apples ($1)
    4 carrots ($.50)
    1 bunch of dino kale ($1)
    1 celery bunch ($1)
    1 fresh whole pinapple ($3)
    1 cucumber ($1)

I also have thrown zucchini in there, parsley, braeburn apples, grapefruit, navel oranges all still $7-8 for a full day of juice.

Admittedly I have an amazing local market that has incredibly cheap produce. If your using whole paycheck or big box supermarket I really can't vouch for prices. If you have a discount retailer or ethnic market locally I bet you can find good prices on produce.

Last edited by markj2k4; 01-09-2013 at 09:09 PM.

PRETENDURO
    No doubt! My problem (which is a good one) is that I work from home and am never sure when my schedule opens up so I can never really commit to a specific time...I do however have the luxury of riding at least at some point during the day everyday which kicks ass! Anyhow, I'll PM you when I know I have a window. I am off to ride El Sereno now...seems cold out there.
    I telecommute most days of the week… in addition to only working 24 hours per week. Of course, today—I’d made solid plans to go for a big ride at Sierra Azul—got super busy so I was stuck at home all day.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Most expensive shopping trip at Costco ever!!! I hadn’t realised the Vitamix thingies were $500.00!!! I was under the impression they were around $200.00. However, I am impressed that the unit is 100% American-made using 70% American-made materials, and that it carries a 7-year warranty.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    1 day =
    4 carrots ($.50)
    1 celery bunch ($1)
    1 cucumber ($1)

I also have thrown zucchini in there, parsley, braeburn apples, grapefruit, navel oranges all still $7-8 for a full day of juice.

Admittedly I have an amazing local market that has incredibly cheap produce. If your using whole paycheck or big box supermarket I really can't vouch for prices. If you have a discount retailer or ethnic market locally I bet you can find good prices on produce.
    I am going to have to look around and see what else is near me, apparently whole paycheck is putting a dent in my bike fund from the looks of your prices.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am going to have to look around and see what else is near me, apparently whole paycheck is putting a dent in my bike fund from the looks of your prices.
    Thanks
    See if there is a sprouts market near you. They have a decent selection of organic produce and prices aren't nearly as bad as whole paycheck

grinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Most expensive shopping trip at Costco ever!!! I hadn’t realised the Vitamix thingies were $500.00!!! I was under the impression they were around $200.00. However, I am impressed that the unit is 100% American-made using 70% American-made materials, and that it carries a 7-year warranty.
    You will not be disappointed. I've had one for over 6 months now and use it practically every day for a smoothie (banana/frozen berries from Costco/kale/oj usually). It grinds everything up, though when you make a smoothie with a thicker consistency like I prefer them you may need to use the masher to help it along.

mtbr member
    For those of you who are fasting, how much juice do you drink in a day?
    The torture ends now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrzyTuning View Post
    For those of you who are fasting, how much juice do you drink in a day?
    I was content with what my book recommended at 3 quarts a day (1 for B, 1 for lunch, 1 for Dinner) this alongside 3 quartz of water a day. You can have more or less...you can't OD on veggie juice. My wife who is much smaller coming in around 100lbs and finished her 5 day fast today, only needed half that.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Thanks
    You can join a CSA also. That is what I did, that and being real close the the Milk Pail In MV
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    1 day =
    4 carrots ($.50)
    1 celery bunch ($1)
    1 cucumber ($1)

The only problem is that this "cheap" produce is not organic and at least a couple of the items are in the "dirty dozen", so the smoothie was like 50 percent pesticide! Apples and celery are like number one and two on the list - so you had a pesticide smoothie.

Isn't one of the main points of fasting to eliminate toxins from the system?

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I ended/gave up on my juice fast on the 8th day yesterday so I thought I'd chime in with my experiences.
    My primary motivation to try this is for weight loss. In the 7 days that I did the juice fast I lost about 10 pounds, since eating yesterday afternoon, I gained back 3 pounds already.
    Ideally, I'd like to drop about 15 pounds total to maintain a healthy weight(5'9" 153-155lbs) so I have probably 8 more pounds to go.

During my fast, I did feel more alert and awake but I also felt like energy level were down. On day 1 and day 3 of the fast I tried to do my normal ride up Pleasanton Ridge. Both rides I was definitely more tired than normal when I got to the top. On both rides I cut my ride somewhat short by taking the most direct way back down to my car. On day 5 and 6 I tried to ride my new trainer and day 5 was ok but day 6 I had to stop after 30 minutes, juice, and then ride another 30 minutes.

As far as food cravings/being hungry goes, the 2nd day of the fast was the worst day for me with pretty severe food cravings even though I wasn't really hungry, I just wanted to eat stuff for some reason. After the 2nd-3rd day, the cravings subsided somewhat but never really went away completely. My daily routine during the fast seemed to consist of waking feeling good, but as the day wore on I get more and more cravings until dinner time when I'm ready to give up and start eating again. Same thing happened yesterday and in the late afternoon I caved and started eating again.

For the future I plan to stick to juicing and for now will replace 1 or 2 meals a day with juicing until I reach my weight goal, then I will probably switch over to blending for veggie/fruit shakes to maintain weight.

Overall it was a good experience and I will probably do a 5-7 day fast once or twice a year and maybe some 2-3 day fasts here and there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    to clarify, over 50% of the produce there is organic, some lists as organic on the receipt, some does not. What isn't organic on there is the cucumber (which I peel) and the carrots, which isn't a high risk of pesticide contaminants.

The apples, kale, celery, and parsley are organic despite the receipt you have to look for that produce with the "9's"

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast