Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Puro Vida!
    Oh wow-just had the first juice drink on the 10 day detox-wow that was something else-my head still hurts! That was something else. Says to drink over ice-unfortunately I didn't have any, I think the colder the better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    Oh wow-just had the first juice drink on the 10 day detox-wow that was something else-my head still hurts! That was something else. Says to drink over ice-unfortunately I didn't have any, I think the colder the better.
    Atta boy! I promise you get used to it and it grows on you. Secret to a great drink...lots of carrots, celery and beats...helps hide flavor of the greens (which I now dig). Throw in an apple or pear to sweeten it up a bit. Good luck buddy!
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

Puro Vida!
    My fiancé is doing it too-the ginger was the culprit! Strong taste. I'm still sitting here going what did I just drink?!? Maybe I'll at least have good breath?

mtbr member
    Yeah, ginger will give it a kick for sure but ginger is also supposed to be good for the tummy. Wait till you throw some garlic in there or cilantro. Let's go follow LP/AR up Kennedy soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Yeah, ginger will give it a kick for sure but ginger is also supposed to be good for the tummy. Wait till you throw some garlic in there or cilantro. Let's go follow LP/AR up Kennedy soon.
    That juice deal worked out well yesterday I must admit. I was following you most of the time if I remember correctly. And let me say it again as per our conversation yesterday ... We kinda have to attempt the sub 40 to the top thingy ... stud !
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

Puro Vida!
    Man-an hour later and I think I'm finally over the drink. Craving a nice juicy burgar now! Had a light salad with little dressing instead. Not going to weigh myself, I'd rather see how my pants and shirts fit as I go along. Maybe my fox shorts won't unbutton themselves when I sneeze would be a nice start!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I started over the weekend and today was my first day back at work so I made a big batch to take with me to get me through the day, I must say I can already feel the difference. Crazy part of this is normally the ONLY way I eat greens etc is on a burger, I have been adding ice since these seem to taste better cold.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a question though, how does it feel when I go to dinner after this and have a big rack of ribs or a steak. Does our body fight back?

mtbr member
    Cool man! Should start getting easy for you now.

I can't speak to the rack of ribs but I followed a strict ease back in diet my book recommended which entailed mostly veggies with the introduction of other foods (cheese, grains, etc) throughout the week. When I did get to pizza, it wasn't as satisfying...I craved healthy food...I have pretty much stuck to healthy since...kind of changes your taste needs in a good way.

Keep it up and keep us posted!

mtbr member
    We finished our three day detox and the last day we started to feel "normal" and we can not really tell what it did to us but we also made a plan how to go back to normal so we do not feast to much on the not so good stuff.

We started today with the simple kale/banana/OJ smoothie which we really like.
    But in the moment I have a hard time to fight the mental urge of a nice cup of coffee.

mtbr member
    We finished our three day detox and the last day we started to feel "normal" and we can not really tell what it did to us but we also made a plan how. to go back to normal so we do not feast to much on the not so good stuff.

We started today with the simple kale/banana/OJ smoothie which we really like.
    But in the moment I have a hard time to fight the mental urge of a nice cup of coffee.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I started on Sunday, mainly to lose the belly fat (I used to be around 100kg in the begging of summer, and due to some lifestyle changes, including being vegetarian, got down to 75kg and stabilized there. With working out, the fat was being transformed into lean mass, but the friggin beer belly didn't seem to go way. It is kinda weird being able to see the top 4 abdominal muscle, and the bottom 4 being hidden by fat). Guess since I was vegetarian, it shouldn't be that hard. I am writing a log, I will publish that when I am done. I am going for a 10-day juice fast followed by a 5-day reintroduction to food. Also, I wanted my blood pressure to lower. When I was 100kg, the pressure was near 11-17, and by 75kg, it got down to 8-15. This is still too damn high, was the doctor prescribed medicine, which I never took. I am 22 years old, I shouldn't be needing medicine right now... The fast should help the blood pressure get back to decent levels.

Questions:
    1- I have slept a lot less in these nights (like 5 hours), and waking up super-energetic. But since I am waking up at 4 am, I usually get back to sleep until 7am (my normal waking up time). I feel like **** by 7am, no-energy at all. Would you just stay awake from 4am, drink the hot tea and do whatever to kill time?
    2- Spinach juice has a horrible taste, and so does zucchini. I have read that raw brocolli isn't good. I am not fond on beetroot, but maybe it was due to the spinach. This basically leaves kale has the only green that I can easily drink. If I had one apple, the taste of juices becomes manageable. I have read you shouldn't mix fruits with veggies, but apple is ok. So, something like 25% kale/spinach/broccoli/beetroot or whatever, 25% apple, 25% carrot and 25% fennel/celery/cucumber seems ok? As the green juice, ofc. In the fruit juice, I use pear, kiwi, apple, carrot, mandarine. Just pick 3 and mix. The fruit juices are very tasty. I wouldn't mind drinking fruit juices the whole day, but I know I need the veggie ones. Any hints to make the taste less horrible? (I tried ginger and lemon, none of those helped)
    3- Since I have been drinking so much, I am pissing almost clear, and pretty often. On the contrary, after waking up, the pee has a solid color. Is it due to being from a larger time-frame (through the night?)
    4- Could beans, chickpeas, lentills be added? I like their taste quite a lot, but dunno if they yield any juice.
    5- Here I can't find fresh pineapple, only canned ones in "their own juice". Is it ok to use these? I know the nutritional value is lower, but should present another option for the fruit-juices
    6- Cauliflower, ok to juice?
    7- soy sauce or balsamic vinegar can be added to juices, to make taste more manageable?
    8- Whey protein powder shakes (with water) can be introduced in this fasting? I have been drinking them for a while (since I have been working out and being vegetarian to be specific). Can one of these replace the hot tea before bed?
    9- Should some salt be added to this fasting? Like a small pinch in the green juices. I guess we could lack the salt if we seat and dont replenish
    10- Coconut water for after workouts is acceptable?

Hope you can help.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Hey G_g...way to go man! I am thinking your are not in the US.

So, I am no expert but have thoughts here.

First, I posted a book in the first page. Highly recommend reading (or internet searches) to get most of these questions tackled.

Sleeping...most likely induced by stress not diet. Try a little Yoga before going to bed. Go to bed a little later perhaps. Usually when I wake up and know I ain't tired enough to go back to sleep, I read a book.

I personally got used to the spinach/zuch/broccoli...think of your drink as fuel rather than a meal. Fruit with veggies is fine according to my book but just make sure you are getting 2/3rds veggie over fruit everyday. HIGHLY recommend getting a filter bag of some kind to reduce the foamy pulp which can give drink a gamey feel and taste...you don't need this pulp at all for a "fast". Your percentages above look dead on. Another key to my success was adding 2 TBS UDO's Oil every 1 Quart drink (not sure if that is available where you are). Gave me essential good fats and gave my drinks some body that was really nice.

I think the dark pee you are seeing through the night are the toxins...good stuff....clear during day means you are drinking the right amount of water...good on ya.

4) no idea
    5) personally, I'd avoid store bought but couldn't hurt I suppose...as long as it's natural (real) and organic.
    6) no idea...but think about adding bell pepper, cabbage, garlic, romaine lettuce (very high protein ironically)
    7) I am gonna say NO! especially if you are looking to reduce blood pressure.
    8) no idea...innernet that one
    9) No...celery had a crap load of salt in it already.
    10) no idea

Can't wait to hear progress...I had a beer gut going strong and this fast really helped...and I've kept it off.

Puro Vida!
    So last night dinner was a plate of steamed broccoli and snap peas. Wow. We made our way to Safeway and bought the rest of the necessary ingredients for the next 4 days. Actually feel ok-energy wise and not terribly hungry. Tried the drink for today' menu last night-tastes like drank-cant wait. Work by Goldilocks this morning-breakfast is always a treat for me there-eggs and Tocino, but today ill be drinking my breakfast.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yep, I'm living in London, but I'm from Portugal. I never check other location forums, just stumbled on this from the MTBR feed on facebook.

I have been eating vegetables since I was a kid, but the lack of physical activity and eating loads of crap led me to the 100kg (which is a lot for 1.79m). Nonetheless, I am used to Olive Oil for cooking. It is surprisingly one of the best fats for oil, and there is one thing i Like a lot ( at least in the solid state: boiled spinach + garlic + olive oil. I'll try drinking that, just to see).

Just discovered a whole foods market store that I can go to (the local market is on saturday, and I started on a Sunday.... yeah, dumb me. At least days 8-10 will have fresh veggies from market, as well as the 1st of the rebound days. I try to buy stuff often, even if in smaller amount, I want to keep the freshness as long as I can).

I realized I need juice at least every 90min. More than that, and I start to lose some energy. The whey protein with water keeps me full for 2h or a bit more.

All that I read lead in the way that exercise shouldn't stop during the juice fast, and that water based protein shakes are fine (they have no fiber, mine are over 80% protein, with the remainder being close to 10% fat and 10% carbs)

Stay away from canned fruit, based on the interwebz. Whole food market to the rescue, if it is available. Coconut water recommended for after sweating to replenish what was lost

mtbr member
    Alright I've been checking this thread for about a week and the peer pressure of needing a new toy has suckered me in. I went to BB&B with my 20% coupon and got an Omega VRT350HD. I just finished my first juice from produce already in the refrigerator. Couple apples, couple carrots, romaine lettuce heart, leftover chopped kale. That green drink was pretty decent with some ice.

There was a link for Reboot with Joe from an earlier post and I think I'll follow one of its plans.
    Which Reboot Plan is right for you? | Reboot With Joe

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Any difference between the regular lettuce and romaine lettuce? They seem fairly similarly, and the more I juice, the more I realise the dark green are the worst tasting to me. I can like with up to 1/4 of the juice coming from a dark green, but the remainder 50% that should be vegetables are usually occupied by carrot/celery/fennel/cucumber/beetroot (but not fond on beetroot to be honest).

Got some suede, don't have it in Portugal. Will try it, seems close to turnip in smell, expecting taste to be somewhat similar.

Also, sweet potato juice, anyone tried? Or pumpkin juice? Peppers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    Alright I've been checking this thread for about a week and the peer pressure of needing a new toy has suckered me in. I went to BB&B with my 20% coupon and got an Omega VRT350HD. I just finished my first juice from produce already in the refrigerator. Couple apples, couple carrots, romaine lettuce heart, leftover chopped kale. That green drink was pretty decent with some ice.

There was a link for Reboot with Joe from an earlier post and I think I'll follow one of its plans.
    Which Reboot Plan is right for you? | Reboot With Joe
    Awesome! I was checking out those reboots and they looked great. To reiterate earlier comments, after the first 3 days, juice fasting is really easy so don't be afraid to try a longer one. Good luck and congrats!

On a side note, been on this juice/diet change for over a month now and I undeniably can feel it in my riding. I am without a doubt stronger than I have been in a while...just rode my big 40lb DH bike up some steep hills here in LG, CA for a lunch ride today and it was remarkably easy...I contemplated adding another loop I felt so good...stupid work.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by G_g View Post
    Or pumpkin juice?
    Yo wassup Hermione Grainger?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    ...just rode my big 40lb DH bike up some steep hills here in LG, CA for a lunch ride today and it was remarkably easy...I contemplated adding another loop I felt so good...stupid work.
    Dude, we need to hook up for these mid-day rides during the week. Likes me some Dogmeat pain!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G_g View Post
    Any difference between the regular lettuce and romaine lettuce? They seem fairly similarly, and the more I juice, the more I realise the dark green are the worst tasting to me. I can like with up to 1/4 of the juice coming from a dark green, but the remainder 50% that should be vegetables are usually occupied by carrot/celery/fennel/cucumber/beetroot (but not fond on beetroot to be honest).

Got some suede, don't have it in Portugal. Will try it, seems close to turnip in smell, expecting taste to be somewhat similar.

Also, sweet potato juice, anyone tried? Or pumpkin juice? Peppers?
    What is suede? I know you can wear it or listen to it but eat it?
    Here's a list of fruits and vegetables and how to prep them.

A-Z Produce Prep

mtbr member
    During the 3 day detox my GF lost around 5 pounds and I do not weighted myself but I had to tighten the belt.

Like others said before it is really amazing how filling it is, I never was never hungry.
    Only the last day I got some little cravings but it convinced me enough to upgrade our old Juiceman Jr. to a little more sophisticated one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    tonight's juice:
    1 whole bunch of kale
    a few cups of fresh spinach
    1 bunch of parsley
    ~ 6-8 carrots
    2 pink lady apples
    1 granny smith apple
    1 lime
    small block of fresh ginger
    2 small red beets

this may be the best tasting juice I've made yet....enough for a large glass for 3 people

FWIW I juice a few times a week as a way of getting lots of nutrients in, but we are not fasting by any means

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My SO is planning on doing this and I was thinking about joining in..

That being said, I'm going to Vegas in about a month and will probably drink and eat a ****load for 3 days. With weight loss being my primary goal, is this a bad idea? I feel I'll gain weight back rather quickly due to metabolic adjustments from just those few days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Protein powders ?

Hi,

My wife does a very similar diet routine quarterly. Except the juices are bit more fruit centric and she adds protein powders that were recommended by a doc. These are similar in content to what Hammer products use in their protein mixes for endurance events. I am wondering is anyone else adding a touch of soy or wheat germ ? If so, any side effects ?

BB

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast