It's about showing up.

Upper Skyline (Napa) Wilderness Closure

The upper portion of the Skyline ride we enjoy, the sweet lollipop in the Tuteur land beyond the gate, are closed. Seasonal saturation from early heavy rains along with the spring atop the canyon cause a mushy mess each year. A local rider told me that the mud is vicious and that he was stuck one time in mud so thick that his bike could stand on its own.

Momma Ranger says the old man Tuteur's cattle, along with cattle from another ranch, and the effects of wild pigs are making a pretty mess. On our last ride we rode all the way to the gate, going through a fair bit of mush along the way.

Looking back I would simply avoid that last bit and make more loops in other parts of the park.
    I don't rattle.

NedwannaB

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    The upper portion of the Skyline ride we enjoy, the sweet lollipop in the Tuteur land beyond the gate, are closed. Seasonal saturation from early heavy rains along with the spring atop the canyon cause a mushy mess each year. A local rider told me that the mud is vicious and that he was stuck one time in mud so thick that his bike could stand on its own.

Momma Ranger says the old man Tuteur's cattle, along with cattle from another ranch, and the effects of wild pigs are making a pretty mess. On our last ride we rode all the way to the gate, going through a fair bit of mush along the way.

Looking back I would simply avoid that last bit and make more loops in other parts of the park.
    Let things setle down and get back on it later when they re-open it. The signs are posted in several places but if you're busy enjoying the surroundings they are easily missed.

There's plenty of miles to ride on the adjacent trails. Friday was awesome condirtions up there.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This is a temporary closure, right?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post
    This is a temporary closure, right?
    Should be. Seems like they've done it over the years when it gets mucky after sustained rainfall. It's only the far loop they're talking about here.

mtbr member
    I think this is pretty standard, it gets awful up there. I'm guessing it will be a while before it dries out and reopens. It's a fun trail. I wonder if that's where the (hopeful) eventual connector to Rockville Trails will start.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sivilized View Post
    I wonder if that's where the (hopeful) eventual connector to Rockville Trails will start.
    That was my thought as well. I am pretty sure the connection will be through the Tuteur land. It'll be awesome when (if) it happens!
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by sivilized View Post
    I'm guessing it will be a while before it dries out and reopens. It's a fun trail
    I agree. The whole park is great. Bummed now as I'm sitting in my job trailer just across Silverado Tr from the park listening to the pounding rain on the roof. It's really coming down over here. ;(

It's about showing up.
    There should be several ways to gain the ridge top. I'm guessing switch backing up to the west rather than continue up the canyon. It would avoid seasonal closure if we take advantage of the greater rock content in along the ridge.

That said, I know diddly about building trails. I am more useful with a camera than a McCleod.
    I don't rattle.

NedwannaB
    Not 100%, but I think it's literally "accessible" already to connect, just not an "approved" thruway. Still looks like a little bit of "work" to get there on 2 wheels tho, scrolling over a GPS map of the 2 areas anyways..

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO

That said, I know diddly about building trails. I am more useful with a camera than a McCleod.
    C'mon up to the Flowtrail in Fairfax and we'll show you how to use one Mike.
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad

No Rep
    No Problem
    Banned For Boobies

It's about showing up.
    Dude,
    I've been shown by the best and now they won't let me near a tool. I can photograph trail work, I can get it funded, I can get people to come to it, I can find the right guy to bring beer, make sure workers have the right quality tools, and fit that in the budget. Trailwork is just not my thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upper  Skyline (Napa) Wilderness Closure-ch327102630mtbr.jpg  

I don't rattle.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO

Upper Skyline (Napa) Wilderness Closure

Dude,
    I've been shown by the best and now they won't let me near a tool. I can photograph trail work, I can get it funded, I can get people to come to it, I can find the right guy to bring beer, make sure workers have the right quality tools, and fit that in the budget. Trailwork is just not my thing.
    Hmmmmmmm?
    Ok.
    Upper  Skyline (Napa) Wilderness Closure-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361489358.096136.jpg
    Just messin with ya Mike.
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad

No Rep
    No Problem
    Banned For Boobies

NedwannaB

From a more infamous Jeff....

Here's yer sign!
    Upper  Skyline (Napa) Wilderness Closure-2-21-tuteur-sign.jpg
    My stopping point heading to Tuteurs.
    Upper  Skyline (Napa) Wilderness Closure-2-21-tuteur-stop-point.jpg
    Then I looked uphil to my left......Yeah my bike is just about in the middle of a football field size area of rototilled pig smorgesboard!
    Upper  Skyline (Napa) Wilderness Closure-2-21-pig-fest.jpg

It's about showing up.
    The pigs are nuts!
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    Hmmmmmmm?
    Ok.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361489358.096136.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	774197
    Just messin with ya Mike.
    Dude, you gave me an opportunity to come clean.
    I don't rattle.