mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Unicycles at Wilder

Saw one for the first time ever going up Wilder Ridge as it was coming down, and thought to myself: "This guy must have balls of steel",

A while later I just finished Enchanted Loop and was deciding on where to go next, when this guy and 3 of his friends rolled around the bend on unicycles, accompanied by some conventional bikers.

[insert circus in town comments here]

That's cool and all, but... how? All I could see they had MTB tires. How do they maintain balance and braking ability on steep downhills? Do they stick to the fire roads only? Why Wilder?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There is a regular group that rides UCSC/Wilder that includes multiple unicycles as well as some two wheeled beasties. I know one of the participants, but have yet to ride with them.

I've seen them in Wilder, upper UCSC, as well as wrapping up along West Cliff.

Some of them even have two speed unicycles.

As for how? Not my thing, so I can't comment on that...just google mountain unicycling videos and see some of the crazy stuff. Three or four years ago on the Strawberry Fields ride, I met a father/son duo who were using the 100km route as a "training" ride for an upcoming trans British Colombia unicycle ride. That is where I first saw "geared" unicycles.

Crazy sh*tz.

VRC Illuminati
    I've seen them up there a few times. I've never seen a group of guys try so hard to look like they weren't looking for people to notice them. Unicycle is a sliver ahead of riding a recumbent on the dork meter.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Team Chilidog!
    I saw a crew of them at Wilder and other parts of Santa Cruz. One of them was on a 36" wheeled unicycle.

"Is that a 36 inch unicycle?" I asked the guy riding.
    "It's amazing what you can do with an extra 10 inches between your legs," he replied

They're pretty cool doods from what I've seen.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Saw three of them today just as I was starting out. Looked like fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    I've seen them up there a few times. I've never seen a group of guys try so hard to look like they weren't looking for people to notice them. Unicycle is a sliver ahead of riding a recumbent on the dork meter.
    Recumbent bike was what came next round the same bend. Nice weather - everyone is out.

mtbr member
    Where are you guys seeing unicycles and recumbents? All I saw out at Wilder today were horses.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    Where are you guys seeing unicycles and recumbents? All I saw out at Wilder today were horses.
    Didn't see a single horse, but a ton of manure - that's for sure.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by paulney View Post
    Didn't see a single horse, but a ton of manure - that's for sure.
    And large holes from hooves on singletrack. But we did pass several horse groups, they were very friendly. We too.

Took my non-mountain biking friend from the East coast there... I rarely go to Wilder, but that's a nice place to ride. Now my daughter is probably quite close to being able to ride there, need to scout it out well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulney View Post
    That's cool and all, but... how? All I could see they had MTB tires. How do they maintain balance and braking ability on steep downhills? Do they stick to the fire roads only? Why Wilder?
    Unicycles do a lot more than wide fire roads.
    Look them up on YouTube. Some wild videos. Pretty much if you can do it on two wheels, they can do it on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Sweater
    There's a club here in the Sacramento area that does occasional group rides in Auburn. I ran into them (not literally) on connector last year and chatted with them a little bit. Pretty cool, I guess its just a different type of challenge.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

NedwannaB

I was just about to mention that

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    There's a club here in the Sacramento area that does occasional group rides in Auburn. I ran into them (not literally) on connector last year and chatted with them a little bit. Pretty cool, I guess its just a different type of challenge.
    Came across a half dozen or so youngsters riding them up there a few years ago. Some novice, some talented. Cool to see a couple of them "freewheel" coast downhill balancing with one shoe on top of crown, one on the top of tire for brake control.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've spotted one in Marin before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Saw one at Saint Joe's about a week ago on Jones trail, very odd.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by ROPECHA View Post
    Saw one at Saint Joe's about a week ago on Jones trail, very odd.
    Saw one up at Jones too about a year ago. Female, cranked the first climb on a recumbent with slicks...I have to give credit where its due...thats better than some us can do on normal bikes.

-eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Chuck Norris can wheelie on a unicycle...if he was in the circus
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member

At St Joe's

I've seen a guy a few times climbing up St Joe's and it's actually really impressive what he can do. I've never seen him go down though.