Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wēk Ss

TSP 07/20/2012 Wēk Ss Saturday ride

Where: Purisima + Skegg's CM08 around 10AM, but flexible.

Google Maps Location: CM08

Description: Ride across the road and hit Purisima, then come back to CM08 for a break and refill packs if needed and ride Skegg's.

Why not just Skegg's? because I want some longer sustained climbs, and because it's different.

Mileage/Footies: estimate about 25-30mi and 5500 ft. (2500+ in Purisima, another 2500+ in Skegg's)

Pace: slow, figure about 6 hours riding time. I'm not sure I can do this whole ride, I usually top out around 4500-5K, trying to break over 5K. I've not been feeling strong lately, so we'll see.

Bailout Points: PC03A/PC01/CM08/CM04

Route: cm08->star hill->tunitas creek->PC04->grabtown gulch->purisima creek trail->PC03A->highwy 35->PC01->north ridge trail->whittemore gulch->purisima creek trail->borden hatch mills->PC04->tunitas creek->star hill->cm08->north leaf->ecdm->tafoni->fir->sierra morena->cm04/cm03->skyline->bear gulch->cm05->blue blossom->crossover->crosscut->timberview->giant salamander->methusala->cm08

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may climb resolution->fir instead of tafoni->fir, but may be too tired to. Assess at CM08 after Purisima, and reassess as we near CM01/CM04.

So far it's me, Nelson34, and Dion.
    Last edited by IAmHolland; 07-20-2012 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So are we doing it with the hammers or venturing off on our own? These are not fire roads, right?

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    So are we doing it with the hammers or venturing off on our own? These are not fire roads, right?
    On our own. Part fire road (but nice fire road), Part singletrack. Purisma climb is fireroad. The descent is a single track. Skegg's is singletrack.

Edit: what is your avatar? Some tattoo'd chick with her head twisted off?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sweet. Is there a landmark or something I can tell Mr. GPS where to go/park?

Wēk Ss
    Errm...no, not that I know of.

Wēk Ss
    Map of Skegg's
    Map of Purisima
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TSP 07/20/2012 Wēk Sôs Saturday ride-screen-shot-2012-07-20-2.18.05-pm.png  

Puro Vida!
    I have CM08 on my Garmin-would get lost if I didn't-

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How do i drive out there?

Wēk Ss
    Google Maps Location: CM08

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    SWEET. See you there at 10:00am!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wish I could go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
    Wish I could go.
    You can. You just have to believe in yourself.

Wēk Ss
    lol, why can't you go? it's doable on a cross bike. i think clark foy just did something similar not too long ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm no Clark Foy. Up in Walnut Creek finishing up my move

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    might be around for part of this depending on how much sleep i get. or rather, how much Elliot lets me get... And if i join up with the earlier group.

Wēk Ss
    sounds good, let me know what your plans are when you finalize. we'll either wait for you or not depending on that.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Its starting to look like i might just try to get out to skeggs at 9am, warmup a bit then meet up with everyone on TSP.
    or just be lazy and 10am.
    Just looked at the route, this is like a mini skeggs to the sea ride as put on by good ol skyline35. We should do a skeggs lap first!

=D

Wēk Ss
    I'm open for whatever. I was thinking of getting the long climb out of the way and then do the flowy/bursty stuff, since I'm on my non-climbing pogo bike. We can discuss at the gate, but if multiple people want skegg's first, we can do that. if you guys want to do the same route as mudworm that'll work too, although I don't know that route and her map looked too complicated. :P I guess I can do extended climbs some other time.

I have no idea what a "mini skeggs to the sea" ride is. I'll have to hit the search later, but if we were strong and fast we could ride into HMB for lunch and climb out....but on a different ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey homies.

I'm skipping today and going to ride local. We've been shopping for a new bike (women specific flat bar road bike) for the wifebot and we're going to pick it up while we have the budget for it.

Have fun today, vatos. If the ride were shorter, I'd go, but from 10-3 and probably getting home showered and fed by 5 doesn't give me enough time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    + I have to work tomorrow. 7 days a week, homies. 7 days a week.

Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    + I have to work tomorrow. 7 days a week, homies. 7 days a week.
    that makes two of us

Wēk Ss
    Wēk Ss
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wēk Ss
    TJ, Skyline35 and I had a good ride. I failed to make the 5K, the wave of walls got me I think. 500 feet short, bailed half way up Skegg's. I had no juice left at all.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    TJ, Skyline35 and I had a good ride. I failed to make the 5K, the wave of walls got me I think. 500 feet short, bailed half way up Skegg's. I had no juice left at all.
    The heat didn't help.

My legs are sore.

Which means I haven't been riding enough lately, although charlie got to hear my whole monologue up the last climb...

And as for doing lots of big long climbs, the best way to get better is doing big long climbs!

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    The heat didn't help.

My legs are sore.

Which means I haven't been riding enough lately, although charlie got to hear my whole monologue up the last climb...

And as for doing lots of big long climbs, the best way to get better is doing big long climbs!
    Yep, for sure. I also sweat alot, always have, so I need tons of water in my pack. I think I ran out of electrolytes at the end, I have a massive headache. I am not sore though, unfortunately. I'm not sure if it was a bonk or what not, but my legs were tired and my head was pounding. I tried to drink my electrolyte drink and ended up getting bloated, which means I was shutting down. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm dehydrated.

Yes, I agree. I need more big long climbs. I've been doing too much flowy stuff lately, and trying to get back on climbing. ugh, I hate it though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast