mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Truckee Trail Reports?

Has anyone recently (in the last couple of weeks) ridden the trails west of the 89 and south of Donner lake? I'll leave them unnamed here, but I'm talking about the ones that feed down into Jackass. Debating between Downvieville and Truckee for the weekend, and wondering if they are clear of snow--I think peak elevation is about 8,000'.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    All Clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by railntrail View Post
    All Clear

Beautiful! Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Was sweet last weekend (June 2/3). Wildflowers hadn't started blooming yet at 7000'+. Saw just a few snowplants. A few lingering patches of snow.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrwin View Post
    Has anyone recently (in the last couple of weeks) ridden the trails west of the 89 and south of Donner lake? I'll leave them unnamed here, but I'm talking about the ones that feed down into Jackass. Debating between Downvieville and Truckee for the weekend, and wondering if they are clear of snow--I think peak elevation is about 8,000'.
    Good to go

mtbr member
    Any reports on Painted Rock/ Glass mtn area?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Should have been here 2 weeks ago, it was glorious. Standard dust rules apply now

mtbr member
    I like how the question was stated. I was trying to figure out how to ask the same thing. Glad to hear it's a go. I was planning on headed up there next weekend.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Any reports on Painted Rock/ Glass mtn area?
    I rode Painted Rock 2 weeks ago and it was perfect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I rode east of Northstar. Sad news, some developer bought the land and has significantly destroyed a lot of the best trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    I rode east of Northstar. Sad news, some developer bought the land and has significantly destroyed a lot of the best trails.
    If you are talking about East of Northstar as in across the road, that land has always been owned by a logging company, and any hypothetical trails on it were always living on borrowed time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yep, they sold to a developer who seems to have gone after some of the trails with a vengeance.

I just have many years of good memories / progression there. It's sad to see them go.

But yes, the only reason they stood this long is because they were on logging land (and not forest service) and their time was always limited.

wretch
    Yep, they sold to a developer who seems to have gone after some of the trails with a vengeance.

I just have many years of good memories / progression there. It's sad to see them go.

But yes, the only reason they stood this long is because they were on logging land (and not forest service) and their time was always limited.
    Guess what other trails are on part of SPI land? The ones originally asked about in this thread and guess what's getting logged next? Started last summer in the backside of the canyon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    If you are talking about East of Northstar as in across the road, that land has always been owned by a logging company, and any hypothetical trails on it were always living on borrowed time.
    Edit- whoops, I quoted the wrong post and Nilswalk already corrected it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    Guess what other trails are on part of SPI land? The ones originally asked about in this thread and guess what's getting logged next? Started last summer in the backside of the canyon.
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

mtbr member
    So the ones that the OP was talking about will be gone?
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    seconding the "nooooooooooooooo........."

wretch
    Gone would not be the right word. We don't really know what the extent of the work will be. They've clear cut across some areas where the trails ran through. Kinda just waiting and holding our breath to see what the outcome / damage will be. The activity from last summer was only in one small spot. Circle of life! We're all lucky to be able to ride there in the first place!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    Gone would not be the right word. We don't really know what the extent of the work will be. They've clear cut across some areas where the trails ran through. Kinda just waiting and holding our breath to see what the outcome / damage will be. The activity from last summer was only in one small spot. Circle of life! We're all lucky to be able to ride there in the first place!
    We got shut down there late September last year. We did the upper part of the trail down to the first road, where we saw new logging signage everywhere. Big trucks were going by and there were sounds of large trees being felled.

We rode out to the road, not trying any of the other trails in the area as we couldn't figure out the extent of the logging operation.

We left dejected and defeated.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member

Correct me if Im wrong but Im pretty sure its still SPI land. They did selective logging so thats why it seems like they specifically went after the trails. Turns out trails make good routes for logging equipment.

Either way. Wouldn't take much work to clear the debris off the trails and get them running again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just looked into it more. Looks like you are right. it's the other side that was purchased / currently held up in court. That's good news. It did look like a bulldozer just drove along the trail with it's blade down to take out all features / churn up everything.

I guess if you are selectively logging right on a trail that's bound to happen.

mtbr member
    Slightly off topic, but does anyone know the status of the TRT Glass Mountain descent? Snow, trees, etc?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjus View Post
    I rode Painted Rock 2 weeks ago and it was perfect.

i rode this last yr - is it accurate to say that riding painted rock west to east is more fun? We started in tahoe city up fiber to watson then west to painted rock. Lots of options up there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Glass Mountain got shut down years ago. All trails in North Tahoe are good to go, wildflowers starting to go off, too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    i rode this last yr - is it accurate to say that riding painted rock west to east is more fun? We started in tahoe city up fiber to watson then west to painted rock. Lots of options up there.
    Painted Rock rides really good in both directions but I prefer heading towards the Wall (and Tahoe City) from the Fiberboard (east to west). It’s longer and has a greater descent.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    Glass Mountain got shut down years ago.
    While true, many people still refer to the new section of TRT there as Glass Mountain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Painted Rock rides really good in both directions but I prefer heading towards the Wall (and Tahoe City) from the Fiberboard (east to west). It’s longer and has a greater descent.
    My new favorite before work ride is climb to the top of Painted Rock, then: TRT->Fast Eddies->New Oceleot->Jackpine. After that it's hard to have a bad day no matter what happens

mtbr member
    While true, many people still refer to the new section of TRT there as Glass Mountain.

Yeah, I'm talking about the new section that's west of the old trail. It even says 'glass mountain' on the map. Is it good to go?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Yeah, I'm talking about the new section that's west of the old trail. It even says 'glass mountain' on the map. Is it good to go?
    Yep, good to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Huh, ride that trail quite bit, never even seen a map there, and never heard it referred to as that. But it does seem as though a lot of trails around here don't have official names, and different people call them different things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Truckee Trail Reports?-screen-shot-2018-06-14-5.47.49-am.jpg

OpenStreetMap data has it as Glass Mountain.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    If a trail has been used for more than five years, even on private land, it can be sustained by the users.

What is a prescriptive easement?

Think of prescriptive easements as the acquisition of an easement by adverse possession or squatters rights.

The requirements to establish a prescriptive easement

1. Use that is actual and open

2. Use that is adverse to the owner (w/o permission)

3. Five years of continuous use

4. Must not exclude use by the owner

But...
    Can recreational uses establish a prescriptive easement?

In general, no. A special Civil Code section acknowledges that “it is in the best interests of the state to encourage owners of private real property to continue to make their lands available for public recreational use” and provides that such use cannot ripen into a prescriptive easement. However, this statute does not apply to land “within 1000 yards inland of the mean high tide line’ (these owners, as discussed below, may avoid prescriptive easements by posting signs pursuant to Civil Code §1008, recording notice pursuant to Civil Code§813, or entering into an agreement with a governing agency). See Civil Code §1009.

Boundary Law - Summary
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.