mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Truckee/Tahoe Memorial Day trail forecast

I'm heading to Truckee for Memorial Day weekend (because I love sitting in holiday traffic with my family). Anyone have recent, first-hand experience of trail conditions there? I fear I have to bring the r0@d bike

mtbr member
    Bring your fat bike.....anyway, bike park is open, Emigrant Trail should be clear, not much else

mtbr member
    In South Lake Tahoe Mountain is riding and Corral and most of Connector go, just have to ride up connector as the road is still snowed in
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Peavine in Reno if you can drive a little. Or bring skis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm going to try to ride Emigrant Trail tomorrow. I'll post up on how it goes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Lower elevations around North Lake are rideable with the occasional snow patch to deal with. Plus it's gonna be 70+all week long. Everything within 500-ish ft of lake level will be fine. Trails have taken a beating though so there's obviously lots of rivers, water ruts and trees down all over the place.

mtbr member
    It snowed a few days ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

Ride On!
    Anyone have a scouting report for Sawtooth and surrounding trails ? Also, is the road clear going up to Corral ?

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    Anyone have a scouting report for Sawtooth and surrounding trails ? Also, is the road clear going up to Corral ?
    Sawtooth is between 6300 and 6700'

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    Lower elevations around North Lake are rideable with the occasional snow patch to deal with. Plus it's gonna be 70+all week long. Everything within 500-ish ft of lake level will be fine. Trails have taken a beating though so there's obviously lots of rivers, water ruts and trees down all over the place.
    So basically, people should stay off those trails until they are in good shape. No need to send people that way so they can widen trails and create ridearounds because they don't like riding through a bit of mud or are too lazy to lift the bike over a fallen tree or walk through a patch of snow. Truckee has a handful of options, one of them probably won't be crowded, the rest will be. Road biking is....well, i just don't know why anyone would do that in Tahoe. Squaw has a 200" base. Ski.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I did 30 miles at Peavine/Keystone today. Perfect conditions. Everything is clear all the way to the top of Mohagony Forest.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The riding in Tahoe is awesome right now

Paper or plastic?
    Bike park?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    The Little Big is happening at the Truckee bike park on Sunday. Really great event and fundraiser. Support it if you can.

mtbr member
    Road to the top of corral is clear but snow on the road to get up connector so you will need to ride up the trail if you want to ride that and it's riding well. Trees all cleared on corral as a couple days ago.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Road to the top of corral is clear but snow on the road to get up connector so you will need to ride up the trail if you want to ride that and it's riding well. Trees all cleared on corral as a couple days ago.
    This^^^. Confirmed. Not that anyone would doubt your reports.😳
    How far up Connector can you go from Corral? Couldn't tell much while hike a bike trudging up the last bit of snowpack to the top on Fountain Rd.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

jrm
    mtbr member

Well its in between the two

any word about spaulding and washington areas?
    Last edited by jrm; 05-22-2017 at 11:19 AM.

L1MEY
    Drive down to Reno/Carson City. All of the valley trails are snow free and the riding is great. You can find info on the Carson City trails on the Muscle Powered website, and there are also nice trails in Carson Valley (Minden/ Gardnerville/Genoa) managed by the Carson Valley Trails Association.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    - Jen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Smoothinto2nd, Have you ridden all the way to Stampede?

Emigrant between Schussing and Alder Creek is in bad shape with downed trees, streams, and snow. The next few miles beyond Alder creek are in great shape but I haven't had a change to ride farther. I'll be out there next weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    [QUOTE=basso_ascot;13174703]I'm heading to Truckee for Memorial Day weekend (because I love sitting in holiday traffic with my family). Anyone have recent, first

I am there every year for my sons basketball tournaments. Last year I rode the Flume , I doubt that's possible this year. Not bringing bikes this year.

NedwannaB
    [QUOTE=chasejj;13178555]
    Quote Originally Posted by basso_ascot View Post
    I'm heading to Truckee for Memorial Day weekend (because I love sitting in holiday traffic with my family). Anyone have recent, first

I am there every year for my sons basketball tournaments. Last year I rode the Flume , I doubt that's possible this year. Not bringing bikes this year.
    No Flumeing this Memorial Day weekend I'm afraid. Well maybe if you have an efatbike....

wretch
    Very slim pickings. There's a handful of trails here that are popping - short but fun runs. If I were looking to get some miles in I'd be avoiding crowds and going to Quincy or Nevada City. Carson is fun but can't imagine getting there via the lake on a holiday weekend.

Little Big should be good - i'll be pouring beer there one of the days - sponsored by Lagunitas. Worth checking out especially with kids - and it's off the bike path / legacy trail.

A trail off of 89 is almost open to the top - riding one direction now - fireroad up - trail down.
    Last edited by Truckee Trash; 05-28-2017 at 08:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    any word about spaulding and washington areas?
    Spaulding has been ridden almost to GRT intersection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
    Spaulding has been ridden almost to GRT intersection.
    Thanks for this update. How's the trail holding up? I'm guessing lots of blowdowns.
    I want to head up there this week, just wondering which tools to bring along for trail work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    This^^^. Confirmed. Not that anyone would doubt your reports.😳
    How far up Connector can you go from Corral? Couldn't tell much while hike a bike trudging up the last bit of snowpack to the top on Fountain Rd.
    You can get up past the last switchback basically nearly all the fun part of the trail. Not worth going up the road as your gonna have snow through all that flat forested stuff. Trail rides pretty easy up this time a year.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    You can get up past the last switchback basically nearly all the fun part of the trail. Not worth going up the road as your gonna have snow through all that flat forested stuff. Trail rides pretty easy up this time a year.
    Thanks. Yeah I rode the road then snow hoofed it up to see how it was at the end. Didn't know how far I'd have to bushwhack down Connector to open trail so I backtracked down snow field over the road, falling thru a thin spot and down into the running water trying a shortcut on the side and went in over my left side. Brrrrr numb extremities for abit til I got to a spot to drain shoe and ring out sock and gloves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shonbo View Post
    Thanks for this update. How's the trail holding up? I'm guessing lots of blowdowns.
    I want to head up there this week, just wondering which tools to bring along for trail work.
    Grrreat! pm'd you with details.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhollin View Post
    Smoothinto2nd, Have you ridden all the way to Stampede?

Emigrant between Schussing and Alder Creek is in bad shape with downed trees, streams, and snow. The next few miles beyond Alder creek are in great shape but I haven't had a change to ride farther. I'll be out there next weekend.
    Yes did it last weekend. Started but Carpenter Valley Rd. As you said it was in rough enough shape where I went back to the road until schussing way. Should have stayed on the road until the trail crossed north of alder Creek Rd.

Past there all the way to the Stampede reservoir was pretty much perfect. There's water in all the creek crossings and the trails weren't dusty at all. There was only one part where snow covered the trail up close to the reservior, and it was easy to climb over.

jrm
    mtbr member

July 4th weekend?

any update on conditions? maybe..

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    any update on conditions? maybe..
    Sam here from Over The Edge in South Lake Tahoe.
    Tons of options in south Tahoe! We have shuttles running and lots of the higher elevation stuff is opening up! Give a call for info, or check our trail conditions on our site.

mtbr member
    Perfect conditions! This was two weeks ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA