mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Training for Kennedy

Ok. So I'm down in Dion's neck of the woods as I pretty much use STCP as my daily training ride, with multiple trips/laps up/down the hills. I see you guys tackling Kennedy on a regular basis. I realize that Kennedy is ~6m, and while STCP has no long trails, are there any trails in STCP that are similar to kennedy?

For example, if I did X laps of the radio tower climb starting at either the picnic area or the bottom of Bernal, how representative would that be? Or x number of trips up Boundary?

I could climb Quimby as well.. how does Kennedy compare to Quimby?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you want to ride like Dion, one of the things you need to do to emulate his riding at Kennedy is to drop one of your gloves into the port-a-potty and mention it on MTBR.

Beyond that, I can't speak to Quimby. Kennedy is just a 4mi 2400ft slog. Best done with a dozen MTBR peeps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quimby would be similar to Kennedy in some ways. It is fairly steep and long and gets steeper towards before the top.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    If you want to ride like Dion, one of the things you need to do to emulate his riding at Kennedy is to drop one of your gloves into the port-a-potty and mention it on MTBR.
    I can't friggin' believe somebody dug it out!!!!

Seth, just go ride it. Honestly. The worse that can happen is that you stop and take breaks, but there's no shame in that. Just think of Coyote Peak climb going on for a long time. I don't know if you tried Boundary climb at STCP, but there are some steep bastards like that in Kennedy.

Just go give it a try - we'll all go soon and you should hitch on with us. It's not as bad as some people make it out to be unless you're going for Strava times. Like Mr. Crustacean said, it's better to go with a group - because it ain't the most exciting place in the world.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So do any of you actually ride UP dogmeat when it's wet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Guess you're getting it back then.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.george View Post
    So do any of you actually ride UP dogmeat when it's wet?
    Rode up it no-dabs today, and it was sloppy/smooshy/icky in many places:

Of course I run 26"x3.8" Surly Nate tires, which have overkill traction available.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

Seth, just go ride it. Honestly. The worse that can happen is that you stop and take breaks, but there's no shame in that. Just think of Coyote Peak climb going on for a long time. I don't know if you tried Boundary climb at STCP, but there are some steep bastards like that in Kennedy.

Just go give it a try - we'll all go soon and you should hitch on with us. It's not as bad as some people make it out to be unless you're going for Strava times. Like Mr. Crustacean said, it's better to go with a group - because it ain't the most exciting place in the world.
    You would be surprised what ends up in the potty. Hash pipes ... watches ... panties ... even a pair of dentures after an untimely sneeze in there. Used almost half a bottle of his water to rinse them off before the ride.
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post

Beyond that, I can't speak to Quimby. Kennedy is just a 4mi 2400ft slog. Best done with a dozen MTBR peeps.
    Ohhhhh, oh, ouch! walking away now...walking away
    ...You'll find me chugging a gallon of Pliny sooner than going hipstertard ~ Menso

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Rode up it no-dabs today, and it was sloppy/smooshy/icky in many places:

Of course I run 26"x3.8" Surly Nate tires, which have overkill traction available.
    Remind me again how much you mock me

I looked up at it a few days ago and folded....

Glad I put the 'mud spikes' on my new mtb shoes however
    ...You'll find me chugging a gallon of Pliny sooner than going hipstertard ~ Menso

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    Remind me again how much you mock me

I looked up at it a few days ago and folded....

Glad I put the 'mud spikes' on my new mtb shoes however
    The key is to not look up at the Hill of Impending Doom™, and instead just look perhaps 6 feet in front of you, while you chant to yourself, “there is no hill”.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The key is to not look up at the Hill of Impending Doom™, and instead just look perhaps 6 feet in front of you, while you chant to yourself, “there is no hill”.
    Really good advice. Tree on the left is always a tipping point for me. You can cool the jets for bit before the final grind.. Get there with a bit of gas in the tank and you're home. Also, the line on the left is not always the best option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Training for Kennedy-image.jpg  

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by orthorex View Post
    Also, the line on the left is not always the best option.
    I found both today and my last successful no-dabs attempt a few days before on my fatbike that at times riding right up the middle of the loose rocks/yucky stuff is the ideal line. Obviously not recommended on a normal bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Rode up it no-dabs today, and it was..
    I've got serious work to do... and remind me to do it in clipless instead of flats....
    Last edited by chris.george; 12-31-2012 at 09:17 AM.

mtbr member
    I mostly went middle line today with no problems. I did however have my rear tire way low on air on purpose. Once you hit that tree, don't relax too much because it sucks to fail at that point after the harder stuff. Go slow and save some energy for the hard climb. I think this winter I have climbed it 4 times with 2 being successful no-dab efforts. Kennedy is hard but has nice rest spots to get Hr and breathing under control. Go ride it and get a base for the feel. Then build off of that.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So do you guys just climb dogmeat or Kennedy Trail up, down dogmeat then back up? I am having trouble seeing direction on strava.

Only curious because a couple of days ago I did up Kennedy, down dogmeat to Alma Bridge, then came back up overgrown to dogmeat. And that's where I felt like I was dying.

mtbr member
    Climbed Kennedy, went down dogmeat and then went right back up it. It was getting to cold at the top to do much more than that. Everyone was pumped for a dogmeat try anyway. Climbing overgrown (limekiln) then dogmeat is also tough. Dogmeat makes everyone feel like they are dying!
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Seth, I have to work this morning, but if you want to give it a try later today or tomorrow, let me know. We can roll TSP style to pop your Kennedy cherry.