Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trails near Camp Sacramento (Lover's Leap, Pony Express, Sayles Canyon, etc.)

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  JustScott 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'll be at Camp Sacramento with the family for a few days next week and was hoping to do some rides in the vicinity. I've been trying to piece together information about the nearby trails based on old forum posts, etc, but haven't found anything too definitive...

It looks like I should be able to get on the Lover's Leap trail, which starts right near Camp Sac, and then maybe that becomes part of the Pony Express trail and I can ride that down towards Kyburz? Anyone familiar with this trail? Is it rideable as an out and back?

Or maybe I could ride over to the Sierra-at-Tahoe Ski are and find the Bryan Meadows/Sayles Canyon trailhead and do some kind of loop there? Not sure what condition those trails would be in at this time of year...

If I have some more time I'll probably drive over and do Toad's or something, but if I only have a couple of hours, it would be great to be able to ride right from Camp Sac (or only have to drive a few minutes at most...)

Any suggestions/directions/GPS routes, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

See less See more
#2 ·
Sierra - Bryan - Sayles - Lovers by emptybeer at Garmin Connect - Details

If you climb up/over Sierra-at-Tahoe, it isn't terribly obvious how to access the Bryan Meadow Trail... a little before you get to the bottom of of Short Stuff, just look for bike tracks headed West... once you're in the woods, you'd have a tough time missing it. Snow up high shouldn't be much of a problem, but I imagine Bryan Meadow is swampy right now. You can also head down Bryan Meadow from Short Stuff, which is fun, then connect into lower Sayles.

Also, just getting a shuttle (or pedaling up 50) to Echo Summit and riding down the Pony XP trail (over Lovers Leap) is a nice ride. Not long, but not easy/short.

Have fun!

#4 ·
Yes you can get on the trail right from camp Sac, and for other readers it's a place you can get water by taking a short section of trail down there and you will find water spigots at the cabins to fill up with in a pinch.

Yesterday I did all of Bryan Meadows and Sayles, just a few small snow drifts on Bryan which will probably be gone by next weekend, Sayles is snow free. Both are soggy in spots, both have water running down the trail in sections. We cleared a fair amount of deadfall, every thing up to 4 folks could pull or push off the trail. Will probably try to get up there again in two weeks with a hand saw and cut the remaining stuff out that will not require a chainsaw.

Upper Bryan and Sayles can be a bit hard to find the trail in spots, but if you have a good nose for navigating around in the woods you should have no problem. Keep in mind this area is pretty remote and it's unlikely you will see anyone else on the trail. Also to enjoy them you should have some decent technical rock riding skills. For a taste without navigation issues and avoiding the wet areas right now, if coming over Sierra at tahoe, hang a right on Bryan and down to lower Sayles, super fun, but you will still need you're a-game in spots on lower Sayles.

Two weeks ago the Pony express from Echo Summit to Sierra at Tahoe had a fair number of large blowdowns, so just be aware.

Two loops right from camp Sac would be to head over lovers leap down to Strawberry, pick up the pony express back up, you could extend or do a second loop by heading over Sierra @Tahoe and dropping lower Bryan Meadows and Sayles back down.

So many options, get a drop off in South lake and find your way back, doing Toads, the Pony express and Sayles in a day is really fun!

Here is an example of South lake to Strawberry
LutherToStrawberry by tahoebc at Garmin Connect - Details

Some images from yesterday

Notice the snow in the treeline above the meadow

#5 ·
Two weeks ago the Pony express from Echo Summit to Sierra at Tahoe had a fair number of large blowdowns, so just be aware.
The Pony Express Commemorative Re-Ride just happened last week, and I read a pre-ride announcement that reminded everyone to make sure their sections of the trail were ready (i.e., clear)... so there's a good chance the Pony XP is in pretty good shape from Echo Summit to Kyburz :thumbsup:

Found this vid that shows some of the work put into it:

#6 ·
Great news, I was hoping that was the case

Only did that short section of the XP from the fire road that goes past Westbowl back to the parking area on Sierra@Tahoe road on Sunday, there was a big tree down right at the wood bridge, but maybe that one was new.

BTW did you ever figure out the exact route they take from the Silve fork area to Placerville?

Interesting they use a pulley system to get the mail across were the Brockless bridge use to be, maybe later this year the river will get low enough to safely cross it?

Re-Ride, Sacramento County, CA - Pony Express

#7 ·
I rode the section from Sierra-at-Tahoe down over top of Lover's leap, and down to Strawberry. This section is all clear of downed trees.

Came back up on XP from Strawberry to Camp Sac. One big downed tree on the climb back up to the Lover's Leap trail junction. It feel across a switchback, so you'll have to bushwack uphill for about 40 ft.

Other than that this section of XP is in great shape. Go get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.