Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

which trails to avoid at Skeggs?

In your opinion, what trails at Skeggs are NOT that fun to ride? and in which direction are you referring to?
    For example, I find going up hill at the bottom of Fir to be difficult and not fun.
    Long boring fire roads are not fun for me either.
    What are your opinions?
    Thanks.

mtbr member

Save Jesus
    South Leaf, unless you like creating erosion and falling off the side of a steep hill.
    Parts of Timberview uphill.

I actually consider ECDM Creek Trail, Methusula, and Gordon Mill to be the best options to get back to the top. They are fireroad-like, but pleasant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Going down Steam Donkey, Manzanita, giant Salamander, resolution, blue blossom and north leaf are great.

Everything else is just picking your spandex xc pedal poison.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I don't know if simply avoiding certain trails in certain directions will really maximize your fun at Skeggs. There seems to be a bit of an art to piecing together the best routes there. There are lots of threads with various routes, but here is a link to one route in particular that I really enjoyed doing. It's a little longer but worth it. I think it took roughly 4-5 hrs and was maybe 5000-6000 ft.

Skeggs Everything - Oct 29

BTW, since I am not super familiar with skeggs, I printed out the route turn by turn exactly from this post, and also printed an ECDM map from the midpen web site, trimmed off the margins of both sheets, taped them together back to back, and stuck the bundle into a ziplock bag (sweat proof). Glad I took both as I had to backtrack a few times due to missed turns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    [QUOTE=MrCrash;9389245]I like this one

A Mudworm's Thoughts Blog Archive MTB: A Descender's Delight at Skeggs

+x for this pointer. I've enjoyed all of mud worms posted rides through skeggs.

Even the one that you look at and say "wtf would anyone bike that crazy zigzag". And then when you do it say "ffs what twisted mind came up with this" as you pass your 10th person who says "what possessed you to ride UP this trail?"

But still Good stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronny Grady View Post
    Going down Steam Donkey, Manzanita, giant Salamander, resolution, blue blossom and north leaf are great.

Everything else is just picking your spandex xc pedal poison.
    Um, any advice on how exactly you would link up all of those trails which I agree are fun in the downhill direction - without having to do spandex xc pedal poisin in the process?? That's the whole challenge of Skeggs, IMO.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

I like mtn biking, too
    Pretty much all climbs at Skeggs are not that fun to ride. Ok, all climbs anywhere are not that fun to ride... But ones that I have found particularly sucky - climbing up Spring Board or the bottom section of Gordon Mill below spring board. Now linking together the two would be a sufferer's delight. Unless you are a Ratpick or a Mudworm.

that UH at the bottom of Fir wins the prize for the worst, though. If you can get up that without dabbing or stopping, you are KOM or QOM at Skeggs.
    Last edited by shredchic; 06-08-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    -Jake Watson

SOG
    mtbr member
    i try and stick to climbing out the fireroads rather than climbing giant salamander in reverse for example since i don't want to disrupt someone's dh flow. just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    I'll echo everybody else's comment that there is no escaping long, tough climbs at Skegg's, but 2 climbs that you should avoid unless you just love to climb steep or technical stuff are Fir and Resolution.

I personally prefer to climb singletrack rather than fire road (providing it can be climbed!) just because I think it is funner, but I will only do this when it is empty on the weekdays. The people I ride with usually prefer to climb fire roads, so it's definitely a preference thing. I think one thing almost everybody can agree on is don't waste a downhill drop on a fire road. You will be at the very bottom in seconds and full of regret. The few people that have told me they don't like Skegg's have done this.

Dirt Abuser
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Um, any advice on how exactly you would link up all of those trails which I agree are fun in the downhill direction - without having to do spandex xc pedal poisin in the process?? That's the whole challenge of Skeggs, IMO.
    You'll have to climb, but I've found this route fairly efficient at connecting those trails.
    From the top parking lot,
    Resolution climb Tafoni
    Manzanita climb Timberview
    Blue Blossom - Crossover/cut
    Salamander and out.....Meth or N. Leaf to EDCM.
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

Wēk Ss
    Pretty much all climbs at Skeggs are not that fun to ride. Ok, all climbs anywhere are not that fun to ride... But ones that I have found particularly sucky - climbing up Spring Board or the bottom section of Gordon Mill below spring board. Now linking together the two would be a sufferer's delight. Unless you are a Ratpick or a Mudworm.

that UH at the bottom of Fir wins the prize for the worst, though. If you can get up that without dabbing or stopping, you are KOM or QOM at Skeggs.
    I went up Spring Board a month ago, yeah, it sucked especially in the mud. :P I don't recall Fir being that bad. Long, sure, but not horrible. I don't recall it being extremely steep. 22x34 FTW!

VRC Illuminati
    Fir in either direction not advisable. So many other good potions out there.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Fir in either direction not advisable. So many other good potions out there.
    down Fir is a blast, but not going up. That's 1/3 hike a bike.

As for getting out at the bottom of Fir, you can take your lumps and go Methusla and then you are at Manzanita or Tiffoni (sp?). Or, you can go down to the creek and climb up that way. Or, you can cross at Giant Salamander, but then you're climbing to CrossCut anyway.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    I went up Spring Board a month ago, yeah, it sucked especially in the mud. :P I don't recall Fir being that bad. Long, sure, but not horrible. I don't recall it being extremely steep. 22x34 FTW!
    Yeah, fir isn't bad above resolution - I mean the part between resolution & Methuseleh. If you don't find that bit too horrible, then you're rockin'! I like going down it though.
    -Jake Watson

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post

As for getting out at the bottom of Fir, you can take your lumps and go Methusla and then you are at Manzanita or Tiffoni (sp?). Or, you can go down to the creek and climb up that way. Or, you can cross at Giant Salamander, but then you're climbing to CrossCut anyway.

As a downhill oriented xc rider, down Fir would feel like a waste of elevation to me...but ya, I can see going down as being way more fun than going up. 2/3's hike a bike for me!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

ballbuster
    I went up Upper Steam Donkey once on my bike. Complete waste of a hike.

mtbr member

My ears were burning.

The only way to find out which trails you don't like at Skeggs is to ride them all:

Lower Fir is an awesome climb (and yes, I'm only saying that because I have the KOM because Paul graciously let me keep it).

The half mile of Timberview below Giant Salamander is pretty steep.

Most of the climbs aren't so much steep as long.

When I led a Skeggs Everything ride last year, this was the hilarious result at the top of Springboard:

From Skeggs Everything 2011
    Last edited by ratpick; 06-10-2012 at 05:54 PM.

I'm a "she".
    Ha, my ears were burning too (or as I like to say, my middle toes were itching).

From Passion Trail Bike's website, you can get to a great map with trail steepness ratings. That ought to give you a rough idea which direction of each trail you want to avoid.

All trails in Skeggs are two way trails, so despite common preferences, I'd always watch for reverse traffic. You never know when a ratpick or a mudworm -- in other words, a knucklehead -- might be roaming in the area.
    ▁▂▃▄▅▆ Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    (❁◡`❁) Zenning...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    As a general rule of thumb, never descend a steep fire road at Skeggs. If you find yourself descending a steep fire road for more than a minute, you went the wrong way (or you like to to torture yourself ).

A few of my favorite rides are:

CM01 -> up paved road -> Sierra Morena -> out CM04 -> Lawrence Creek (to get to the top of Blue Blossom) -> Blue Blossom -> Crossover -> Crosscut -> down Timberview -> Giant Salamander -> Methuselah -> up North Leaf -> ECDM trail -> CM01

CM01 -> up paved road -> Fir (or Tafoni for this leg) -> Resolution -> ECDM -> North Leaf -> Methselah ->
    - here you can either bail up Methuselah the whole way, which is a shitty climb, or:
    Giant Salamander (watch out for people descending) -> up Timberview ->
    - here you can either climb up Manzanita, or down Crosscut/Crossover and then climb Gordon Mill and Sierra Morena back to the parking lot

Or, my long Skeggs ride is:
    CM01 -> Fir -> Resolution -> ECDM -> North Leaf -> South Leaf (woot technical fun) -> Virginia Mill -> Lawrence Creek -> down Blue Blossom -> Crossover -> Crosscut -> up Timberview -> up Manzanita -> back out Fir

IMHO, plan a ride to descend either Resolution or Blue Blossom (or both if you want a long ride). I never climb either of those unless I'm injured and need to bail out.
    Last edited by ForbiddenBeat; 06-09-2012 at 12:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
    All trails in Skeggs are two way trails, so despite common preferences, I'd always watch for reverse traffic. You never know when a ratpick or a mudworm -- in other words, a knucklehead -- might be roaming in the area.
    Sadly never at the same time

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gmpoaw

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post

Is Fir all washed out still? The section going down right after the turn off for Resolution is pretty steep and I've come close to doing an endo on the way down it on my rigid SS; it did make for an exciting decent.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Steep part of fir (between methu and reso) is pointless up or down. Dh it and you're just bleeding altitude on fire road without any real skill needed. Take reso the long way down for a much more fulfilling dh. Or take Manzanita to giant Sal and up reso... There's no need to take that part of fir up unless you are training and doing your own 'eye of the tiger' montage. if you're trying to get back up quick, for another loop or home, methu is a 25 min xc climb to roughly the same place.

Lower timber view is similar, going down is a waste, but I do go up it when getting out of the Virginia mill/Lawrence creek area on a long loop down. Its a hard slog, especially when you get to the acorns . . .

Springboard (between blue blossom and the top) is not fun, but the quickest way to get back to the top of blue blossom especially if you're doing a couple laps. I prefer going up springboard in that case b/c of the dh traffic on blue blossom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash View Post
    Hell yeah. Found that on Google last year. Has been my default route the last three or four trips to Skeggs. Just right for me.

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by jmilliron View Post
    Hell yeah. Found that on Google last year. Has been my default route the last three or four trips to Skeggs. Just right for me.
    +1 on this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast