11 11.00%
  • No and I'm not interested

1 1.00%
  • What's trail work?

1 1.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Trail Work - Do you?

Just trying to get an idea of whether people do or don't get involved in trail work.

I've done a day myself (in order to earn a discount on a new bike) and would like to do a few more when I'm back in CA.

For those of you who do regularly do trail work, what kind of ratio of trail work days : rides do you have?
    Ridin' & Diggin'

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I ride a series of trails built and maintained by a well organized local group. I can never seem to make their workdays. So I do it on my own with the blessing of their poo bah as my schedule allows. It is very gratifying and can be a great work out.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Banned for showing Boobies.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have been doing regular trail work for over 20 years and have done so for every public land agency in Marin. I'll be putting in a few hours today and ride tomorrow

mtbr member
    Mostly do it on my own-I like it that way in out of the way places- If I do not do it, it does not get done. Last time someone left a "randown act of kindness" a ten dollar gift card for Subway. Time to leave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Work - Do you?-dsci0003.jpg  

Trail Work - Do you?-dsci0007.jpg  

Trail Work - Do you?-dsci0009.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Stinky; 01-12-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: photo

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennW View Post
    Just trying to get an idea of whether people do or don't get involved in trail work.

I've done a day myself (in order to earn a discount on a new bike) and would like to do a few more when I'm back in CA.

For those of you who do regularly do trail work, what kind of ratio of trail work days : rides do you have?
    I've done work with BLM up in Mendocino county and lots of trail maintenance in Marin. I haven't made it out to Tamarancho yet.

I obviously have many more ride days than work days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have no idea what the deal is with Santa Teresa County Park, but I would like to do some trail work there. I know there's volunteer meet-ups to do it - and I think it's all hikers. That place needs help in a HUGE way.

Problem is, is I know what the issues are there, and I can imagine MTB'ers complaining about "sanitizing" the trails. Some of those trails get so incredibly beat, they need sanitizing and a drainage system.

People also poach these trails when they are closed to MTB's and horses. You know who you are, brosefs - stop riding on them trails when they are CLOSED!

mtb'er
    I'd love to know what percentage of bonafide mt. bikers do trailwork at least once a year (once = about 2 hrs of work?), and what percentage do none. Then I'd like to know why the non-participants don't participate. I would also like the same data for hikers and equestrians.

(and that's awesome, Uncle Stinky! Always good to be appreciated )

Levi Early
    I do more trail maintenance in the winter than the summer. I really want to start getting more serious on trail building though. There have been some areas I have been scouting for some spectacular additions to what we already have here.

mtbr member
    Got in another 3 hours or so today with a buddy. Another area rider just saw in and joined in. Made it kind of fun.
    Last edited by Uncle Stinky; 01-12-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: info

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    When people worked on Santa Teresa County Park, people on this forum complained about trail "sanitation" which is why I haven't gone out to do anything (yet). How do you guys feel/handle about those complaints?

Sent from CouchPad via Outer Space

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    When people worked on Santa Teresa County Park, people on this forum complained about trail "sanitation" which is why I haven't gone out to do anything (yet). How do you guys feel/handle about those complaints?

I try not to change the trail unless there is a hazard. I usually remove debris, down trees, scotch broom and poison oak. It's more trail maintenance than trail work.

I don't want to create wheelchair accessible trails, not that there is any thing wrong with wheelchairs

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Been working on the trails at Hogan for over 20 years now (see Jeff/Uncle Stinky's post). Got a lot done today: One new trail finished, and worked a bit on one Jeff started. It's gonna be EPIC!!

It just confounds me that we can't get more people up here to ride, let alone help us work on the trails.

Pics? You wanna see pics? Okee dokely. Oh, that last one? That's me & Taylor Swift. I think she likes me.

Edit: ALL trails shown in my pics are new. Except for Taylor. That's an old trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Work - Do you?-brand-new-trail.jpg  

Trail Work - Do you?-jeff-newtrail.jpg  

Trail Work - Do you?-me-endo.jpg  

Trail Work - Do you?-me-new-trail.jpg  

Trail Work - Do you?-newtrail-left-old-right.jpg  

Trail Work - Do you?-reflections.jpg  

Trail Work - Do you?-trail-dog.jpg  

Trail Work - Do you?-trail-view.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post
    I try not to change the trail unless there is a hazard. I usually remove debris, down trees, scotch broom and poison oak. It's more trail maintenance than trail work.

I don't want to create wheelchair accessible trails, not that there is any thing wrong with wheelchairs
    That's the kind of work I want to do, but people will complain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    That's the kind of work I want to do, but people will complain.

Dion, people are going to complain no matter what; use you're best judgement...

It's about showing up.
    I have never enjoyed trail work but do 5-10 days a year. I also spend time organizing and funding it.

Mtbers don't do trail work for the same reason they don't actively advocate. Mtb is largely a spare time pursuit. Spare time is used for riding; deal.
    I don't rattle.

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006

Trail work in fall / winter-Ride in spring / summer

I work on trails a lot in the winter and ride a lot in the summer. Mostly maintenance now since we have not been able to get any approved new trails here lately. There are plenty of building opportunities around so I do that when I can get away.

middle ring single track

Every other day...

...I'm riding a bike or working on a trail; retired life is good! They're both real good ways to stay fit; at 61 it's important for me to stay active. I log 400 or so hours of trail work a year; I don't really care to keep track but it's a requirement to report the hours for many Land Use Managers.

I absolutely cannot stand going to a gym; so this is "where it's at" for me:
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    Cool shots Finch Would be nice if someone younger than 50 could help- time for bed crab feed over.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Dion- I don't know the situation at STCP, but It's been my experience that most of the people that complain about trail sanitation either: 1. Have never done trail work or 2. Don't really understand it.

BUT- Real sanitizing occasionally does happen, and it's usually because there aren't enough riders on the crew to give input. When it's done right, it's like a little bit of magic!

Btw- I don't think many "no's" will click on the poll. It's gotta be less than 10% even doing yearly work, right?!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Been working on the trails at Hogan for over 20 years now
    Just curious... do you have permission (presumably from the land owner/manager) to build trail as you see fit? Or do you have to go through a "process"?

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    I'd love to know what percentage of bonafide mt. bikers do trailwork at least once a year (once = about 2 hrs of work?), and what percentage do none. Then I'd like to know why the non-participants don't participate. I would also like the same data for hikers and equestrians.

(and that's awesome, Uncle Stinky! Always good to be appreciated )
    I was reading this thread and thinking "not gonna see a lot of non-trail workers chiming in".
    I'll answer part of your question from my perspective though. I've not done any trail work and the reason really comes down to time. As a lot of us on here, job and family takes the lions share of time available and it's always feeling like I'm "squeezing" in rides. Then when the weekend rolls around I can finally go for a ride and not feel the time pressure to get home. Other times I either don't hear about the trail work days at all or last minute. Aside from MTBR I'm not really plugged in to the cycling community either, so if I don't happen to see it on here I won't hear about it. So really it's partly just selfish and part apathetic.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    ...... Then I'd like to know why the non-participants don't participate.......
    Hey it's the basic rule of volunteerism. 10% of the people do 90% of the work.

It can be as easy as carrying a folding saw after a storm or stopping to drag deadfall off of the trail, but most riders just go on by. It has to start somewhere. Just sayin'.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Czar Chasm View Post
    Just curious... do you have permission (presumably from the land owner/manager) to build trail as you see fit? Or do you have to go through a "process"?
    Long story short- we were riding horse trails on another area, horsey people complained, rangers gave us our own area to develop.

Now the horse trails are being neglected.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Fuggit. I'm going to start doing some trail work at STCP. I guess I'll have to deal with the complaints, the haters, and the lookey-loo's. Us STCP inhabitants ride those trails enough and claim them as our special little place - I think we outta step up and quit worrying about the complainers.

And for all of you who are trying to wag their finger at us who haven't done trail work - it's not that I don't want to, it's more that I just hate it when I do a good deed and people complain. I've been riding there for 4 years and that is the #1 thing that's kept me from working on those trails.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast