mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Trail Head Demo Day

Stoked this is back! I'll likely go Friday

https://trailheadcyclery.com/event/t...ery-dirt-demo/

PRETENDURO
    All the bikes you can ride and all the tacos you can shovel into your piehole for only $40.00?!??!? Only thing missing is beer; don’t worry, I’ll take care of that. See you one of those three fine days in Moovember!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post

Thanks for posting this

mtbr member
    May 2007
    WTF
    Didn't you guys check my schedule with my wife? She planned a vacation for that time.

So, I miss out on abusing others bikes all day for $40.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I assume they usually have a good selection of specialized bikes there?
    Really want to try out a bike with the Ohlins coil shock. I've heard really good things about them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Lars and crew are so freakin' legit. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone that gives back more than Lars. Support these fine folks by enjoying their bikes and eating their food. Sounds easy, doesn't it?
    Support local trail-building: www.mbosc.org
    Help our most vulnerable population: www.goodkarmabikes.org

mtbr member
    Perfect timing! I have my next bike narrowed down to the Yeti SB5, HD4 or the Mach 5.5. This gives me a chance to demo 2/3 on my local trails. Love the folks at Trailhead, bought my Gen 1 Mojo-C from them years ago!
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel
    Ibis Carbon Mojo

Captain Trail Head

Big props to Arctic Pride for posting this for me! Thank you.

-Lars
    “Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.”
    -John Lennon

Captain Trail Head

More Demo Deets!

Yes, thanks to Arctic Pride for posting our event and all of the killer support shown here! You guys are awesome.

These demo events always seem to come around sooner than the last one, but nope, they happen pretty much the same time each Spring and Fall... I'm simply getting older so time speeds up!

Just rode the trails this morning with a solid group of shop crew and it's fast... and a bit rowdy! Especially that fast straight on the back of Stiles Ranch... Yep, somebody is gonna pinch there for sure. At least I don't have to worry about ziscwg blowing out a rim

Bikes. Yep, lots of 'em. Specialized will have the bounty for sure and Ibis too. We've got a new stash of YETI to bring out including the 4.5, 5, 5.5 and 6 Super Bikes. We're also building out our fleet of new Transitions, so we'll have the new Scout, Smuggler and yes, the Sentinels...

A full list is being compiled and I will have that up on the site by tomorrow.

So, tell your loved ones something came up and you've simply gotta ride!

See you in Santa Teresa,
    Lars
    -John Lennon

PRETENDURO
    Bummed I’ll be missing it this time around. I was looking forward to TACOS!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Lars, are your demo bikes tubeless? Given how rocky the place is, i have seen too many punch flats over the years, myself including...

Stile is meant to be pinned, and your bikes are all good for this. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the updated info!

Can anyone suggest a good test loop ST since I've never been there before?
    Probably something not to long since I would like to try several bikes out.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I found doing the Rocky Ridge loop to be a great test, good climb, lots of chunk to test suspension, maybe a little over 3 mi?

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Do you climb up hidden springs past coyote Peak trail or the other way - up HS to Ohlone trail to ridge?

Looks like a rocky area. These rains should help conditions some for tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I can't recall the names but, you climb the long fire road through the cattle gates then after you descend the back side of the FR and at the top of that Rocky Ridge is on the right which loops back to the parking lot.

here's a video from last time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8I5UBzH_nU&t

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Santa Teresa (Suggestion 1) - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides has this annotated map. To test downhill you can do loop 2 (Hidden Springs and Rocky Ridge):

Or try the Stiles Ranch loop counter clockwise at the bottom left :

If you want a mix of technical uphill and downhill, climb and descend Rocky Ridge or Stiles. Rocky Ridge has bigger rocks than Stiles, but Stiles has a longer stretches of rockyness (and switchbacks).
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct body weight: m-10 pounds

fc
    stoked Administrator
    With all the shops that closed, more power to Trailhead!!!!! Support them!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    Looks like a rocky area. These rains should help conditions some for tomorrow?
    No, rain is the enemy at this place. Luckily we barely got anything down here, so I’m sure it will be fine. But when it’s wet, your bike will literally become unrideable before you even make it up the first hill.

Stiles loop in the counter clockwise direction is my recommendation. Slightly shorter than Rocky Ridge, and much less strenuous, so you can do more laps with different bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Does anyone know if they are going to have the Stumpjumper 6fattie? I've been wanted to test ride one for a while now.

Captain Trail Head

No Tubes in tires....

Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Lars, are your demo bikes tubeless? Given how rocky the place is, i have seen too many punch flats over the years, myself including...

Stile is meant to be pinned, and your bikes are all good for this. Thanks!
    Indeed, the faster you ride Stiles, the better!

Loll, as you know, tubes are meant to be carried as a spare and all of our demo bikes are set up Tubeless! That said, there could be a demo bike here or there that happens to have a tube in it due to unknown circumstances, so I am totally excusing myself from any responsibility...
    -John Lennon

Captain Trail Head
    I found doing the Rocky Ridge loop to be a great test, good climb, lots of chunk to test suspension, maybe a little over 3 mi?
    +1 on this... Climb Hidden Springs jeep road to Coyote Peak, then descend down Rocky Ridge and bam, you're back at HQ. Good all round test that doesn't take too long.

Eat a couple tacos, then go out for another lap!
    -John Lennon

Captain Trail Head
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    With all the shops that closed, more power to Trailhead!!!!! Support them!
    Thanks fc!
    -John Lennon

mtbr member
    **** yeah i'll be there saturday. Stoked to try some 29ers.
    i'm not that gnarly

Captain Trail Head
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronT123 View Post
    Does anyone know if they are going to have the Stumpjumper 6fattie? I've been wanted to test ride one for a while now.
    Confirmed! We'll have the SW Stumpy 6Fattie in S, M & L.
    -John Lennon

Captain Trail Head

....more tacos for the rest of us.....

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Bummed I’ll be missing it this time around. I was looking forward to TACOS!!!
    We'll miss you too monster tracks, but we'll also eat all the tacos you're missing!

-John Lennon

mtbr member
    Tomorrow the demo starts at noon but can you still enter the park earlier in the morning and ride the trails to get a handle on routes on our own bikes?

Thanks !

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Ha, looks like this weeks rain was perfectly ordered for the event. The rocky ridge dirt (at least the tiny bit between those rocks and the cowshit) will stick like glue. Looks like PERFECT conditions for tacos&bikes - C U there!
    Bernd

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Tomorrow the demo starts at noon but can you still enter the park earlier in the morning and ride the trails to get a handle on routes on our own bikes?

Thanks !
    the park "opens" at 8am

and yes you will likely run into cows, hikers and other riders not involved in the demo

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Super tempting.... I live in Santa Teresa after all... Still loving my '16 Stumpy 6Fattie s-works. Wouldn't mind throwing a leg over the Eagle/Ohlins combo though. On Fox/XX1 at the moment.

If anyone hasn't ridden a 6Fattie FSR, this is the perfect place for it. Set a PR up the hill, down the gnar, then climb that small straight-up stretch of Joyce... all on the same bike. Amazing!

Oh and I haven't been on a Bike since Levi's Gran Fondo. Got burnt out on all that roadie training... Time to hit the dirt before the wet comes...

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterClean View Post
    If anyone hasn't ridden a 6Fattie FSR, this is the perfect place for it. Set a PR up the hill, down the gnar, then climb that small straight-up stretch of Joyce... all on the same bike. Amazing!
    Most of my PRs and uphill no-dabs (Joice, Rocky Ridge, Boundary) were accomplished on fatbikes, both fully-rigid and front-squish.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterClean View Post

Oh and I haven't been on a Bike since Levi's Gran Fondo.
    No training, no problem. Just jump on a Turbo Levo FSR 6Fattie, and you can reset your uphill PRs. Don't forget to Strava the ride .

mtbr member
    Thanks to THC for putting on the demo day.

I got in a few rides before the light rain hit and made a mess out of the clay trails.

Swung a leg over the 29 Enduro, HD4 and Transition Sentinel 29er.
    I Also rode my bike on that hell hole of a trail, Rocky Ridge ( LOL ) to see how my bike felt on those trails since I had never ( and may never again :-) ) ridden that park.

I ended up riding Stiles loop on the test bikes since that is more the kind of riding do and matches more closely the trails I ride. Fun loop.

Trail Head Demo Day-2017-11-10-16.36.17.jpg

For me the 29 Enduro was by far my favorite. I was shocked at how great that bike worked for me and the amount of confidence it instill in my riding. Mt 16 Stumpy is a 27.5 and a large. I tried the Med Enduro and the bike did everything better than my bike. Great at climbing technical stuff and it just wanted to go fast down hill! The Ohlins suspensions was great.

Trail Head Demo Day-2017-11-10-16.37.37.jpg

For me this bike was too slack an too burly feeling for my every day bike. The suspension was great but overall it just wasn't for me. Rode a large.

Trail Head Demo Day-2017-11-10-16.35.25.jpg

It started raining on my loop when riding the Transition and the trail was too messed up and clay, rocks and cow crap flying off of the tires into my face - called it quits early. Bike felt big and heavy to me but I was getting tired by then so it's hard to give it any review. The suspension wasn't set great for me either. Front a little firm and rear soft.

I didn't get a chance to ride any Yeti's unfortunately. They bailed and the shop had to bring the few they had. Really wanted to try one!

For me, at this point the Med. 29er Endure is at the top of the new bike list. I was surprised by that. I'm not stuck on any one bike brand and am totally open to moving to a different brand. BUT it's sooo good!

mtbr member
    May 2015

.... Mt 16 Stumpy is a 27.5 and a large. I tried the Med Enduro and the bike did everything better than my bike. Great at climbing technical stuff and it just wanted to go fast down hill! The Ohlins suspensions was great....:
    That´s interesting. Would you say the 29er Enduro is as playful as your 27.5 Stumpy? I mean, I rode a couple of 29ers now, and those rigs are really plowing through everything, very confidence inspiring, taking any doubt out of very technical stuff. But they feel kind of "numb" (if that´s the right english word) compared to my 27.5er Trailbike (SB6). So short form of the question: did you not only ride more confident, but did you have more fun on the 29er Enduro than on your Stumpy?

Bernd

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Specialized sucks as a company, IMO, but I love my 29er Ripley LS. It's as good at jumping as my HD3 (although I don't hit big stuff), just as playful and fun on the downhill--and faster.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

"I'm just a big snitch with man boobs!" ~ GGG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ Specialized sucks as a company, IMO, but I love my 29er Ripley LS. It's as good at jumping as my HD3 (although I don't hit big stuff), just as playful and fun on the downhill--and faster.
    Sram sucks too, but that doesn’t mean they don’t make some high quality products.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    It has nothing to do with their products. They started by stealing intellectual property back in the day, progressed to sueing anybody that remotely threatened them, grew by taking over LBS's with their concept stores (excluding other brands), and more recently they've been the leader in pushing e-bikes. And don't even get me started on their proprietary crap like the Brain. But at least you can stuff a burrito in their frame.

Can Sram hold a candle to that?!
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

"I'm just a big snitch with man boobs!" ~ GGG

mtbr member
    I mean sram now owns avid, rockshox, hayes, etc, so not exactly great history, still make great drivetrains, but i'm more of a shimano guy....

Thanks to Lars and the crew for putting on a great event! Had so much fun, even hopped on the new Specialized Kenevo e-bike for a couple laps and was very surprised that i liked it....
    That being said, i need to figure out what i can sell to get myself on that yeti sb5.5....hmmm
    i'm not that gnarly

mtbr member
    May 2006

I got in a few rides before the light rain hit and made a mess out of the clay trails.

Swung a leg over the 29 Enduro, HD4 and Transition Sentinel 29er.
    I Also rode my bike on that hell hole of a trail, Rocky Ridge ( LOL ) to see how my bike felt on those trails since I had never ( and may never again :-) ) ridden that park.

I ended up riding Stiles loop on the test bikes since that is more the kind of riding do and matches more closely the trails I ride. Fun loop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-11-10+16.36.17.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	1166951

For me the 29 Enduro was by far my favorite. I was shocked at how great that bike worked for me and the amount of confidence it instill in my riding. Mt 16 Stumpy is a 27.5 and a large. I tried the Med Enduro and the bike did everything better than my bike. Great at climbing technical stuff and it just wanted to go fast down hill! The Ohlins suspensions was great.

Name:	2017-11-10+16.37.37.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	1166953

For me this bike was too slack an too burly feeling for my every day bike. The suspension was great but overall it just wasn't for me. Rode a large.

Name:	2017-11-10+16.35.25.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	1166954

It started raining on my loop when riding the Transition and the trail was too messed up and clay, rocks and cow crap flying off of the tires into my face - called it quits early. Bike felt big and heavy to me but I was getting tired by then so it's hard to give it any review. The suspension wasn't set great for me either. Front a little firm and rear soft.

I didn't get a chance to ride any Yeti's unfortunately. They bailed and the shop had to bring the few they had. Really wanted to try one!

For me, at this point the Med. 29er Endure is at the top of the new bike list. I was surprised by that. I'm not stuck on any one bike brand and am totally open to moving to a different brand. BUT it's sooo good!
    I also rode the sentenial. You should thank me for fixing the shifting as i was the first guy on it. It was downshifting like mad. LOL.

I also felt the front on that medium bike was way stiff. Back end i actually liked as it ate rocky ridge theough a straight pow.

I also did the same medium enduro pro you rode. Much lighter feeling pedal wise, but then the rain started pouring and i didnt get to test the bike on the down much as tire was sliding everywhere and i couldnt turn the wheel anymore.

Good time. Thanks THC
    Last edited by Loll; 5 Days Ago at 10:36 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    What a great event - thanks to Lars and the crew! Not only the bikes, the friendly crew, also his wife bringing food and drinks - the entire atmosphere was / is special. Besides, this is the best possible way to figure out what´s going on for anyone who is in the market for a bike. The terrain is superb, offering everything from fast rolling fireroads to the rocky ridge (call it black diamond trail). The loops are sweet and short, one can easily ride 3 or 4 bikes back-to-back and directly compare.
    And one day after the rain the trail conditions were just 10of10 yesterday.

I was late, so I could only get on the HD4 and the Spesh Enduro 29er. The Ibis is as awesome as its predecessor, and those fatty tires seem to be made for exactly that bike on those rocky trails. The Enduro couldn´t hold anything against it, it felt less agile, less stable and less controleable to me. Maybe my expectations to it were too high? Or it was the 29er 2.3s on with those Spesh factory rubber on? Or the fact that is wasn´t that dialed in than the Ibis (someone before must have bent the derailleur)?
    I guess the Mojo just fits my preference better, I love nimble and playful 27.5ers more than those ultra-long LT 29ers. And since I don´t have to win races, I can easily afford the 5 seconds time loss on a descent like Rocky Ridge and re-invest them into more fun along the way. Maybe it was that, it was my personal preferences, my preferred bike character.
    Sorry Lars, none of those can be sold to me, the testing confirmed that I will stick to my SB6 for another while :-) :-)
    To anyone who plans to go today: start with Intense and Spesh, then the sweet Ibis rigs, and then top it of with a Yeti. Anything else would be unfair to the first mentioned ones ;-)

Bernd

mtbr member
    Bernd

Thats why these demo's are so cool. We rode some similar bikes and had almost the opposite opinion of 2 of the bike.
    It probably has something to do with what bike you are currently on. Your SB6 would resemble the HD so it makes sense you would feel more at home on it.
    I have no idea why I loved the 29er Enduro so much but maybe a similar platform? I wasn't expecting to like any of the 29ers that much. I'm sure the size (med) of the Enduro had something to do with how "nimble" it felt compared to other 29ers I've ridden. It fit me perfect.
    I was hoping to ride some Yeti's but the rain hit and it was all over.
    The HD felt like a Mac truck to me and I too like a more playful 27.5 like my own bike but I didn't get that at all with the HD. That thing is built to hammer trails. That slack front end made the bike feel a little sluggish to me unless you were going fast.
    Maybe I'm converting to the new L,L and slack 29 world? LOL Those bikes are changing the landscape of the modern enduro world!
    I'm looking forward to demoing the enduro for a day on the same trails I ride every week and compare times and fun factor.
    Unfortunately I think my bank account may get lighter soon....