mtbr member

Trail Guide: Benicia Territory

I'm always looking for new places to ride, so here's one for you guys that's in my backyard and worth checking out.

I call it Benicia Territory, and it's 15.5 miles with almost 2,000 feet of climbing.

Trail Guide: Benicia Territory-bt.png

The Ride
    • Check out the route on Strava
    • Download the GPX file
    • Most of the ride is buff singletrack, so it can be done on a hardtail.
    • Most of the climbing is in the first half of the ride.
    • Protect your bike on the rocky trail right on the water in Glen Cove. It's easy to tear off a rear derailleur if you're not careful.
    • There are plenty of benches along the route to stop and snack.

Logistics

I did a video as well, so you can get a turn-by-turn feel of the ride. Would love your feedback on the video, as I want to do more of them. It seems like every MTB video is about stoke, and never actually gives you the details of the ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wow, couldn't ask for a more detailed tour. Thanks for the ridealong!

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I think youŕe on to something. Subscribed!
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes"--or Specialized. Just say no.

Air Pirate
    Absolutely awesome, thank you for doing this. I agree about how most videos are heavy on stoke and thin on ride details. I appreciate the "guide" nature of your video. Keep up the good work! A suggestion: Perhaps in future videos ever so often you could cut to a shot of the map showing your current location on the ride. I would find that feature helpful.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Perhaps in future videos ever so often you could cut to a shot of the map showing your current location on the ride.
    That's a damn good idea. I'll give that a try next time, thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    This totally rules! Awesome guide and video. And I love the suggestion about integrating the map into the video.

As a guy who spends way too much time staring at maps and thinking about where I can go next, I am very supportive of your efforts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
    As a guy who spends way too much time staring at maps and thinking about where I can go next, I am very supportive of your efforts.
    Awesome, much appreciated! I'm planning a couple videos on mapping and downloading offline maps for adventure purposes.

mtbr member
    That was a great video. When I go visit new places one of the things I do is watch youtube videos to get an idea of where to go and what the trails are like. But I have never seen any that were this informative. Hope to see some more videos like this done all over the bay area.
    Thanks for uploading it. subscribed.

mtbr member
    Wait, WHAT? Nobody mentioned how unusual it is to ride any kind of handlebar sport with his thumbs NOT gripping under the bar BUT laying OVER the grip. What?? LOL

Cool video and a great view of another ride location.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    Wait, WHAT? Nobody mentioned how unusual it is to ride any kind of handlebar sport with his thumbs NOT gripping under the bar BUT laying OVER the grip. What?? LOL

Cool video and a great view of another ride location.
    Hahahaha, don't worry, every other comment on YouTube is about that. I crashed and broke my hand a few years ago and my "normal" grip kinda trapped me. So I've developed the bad habit of having my thumbs out. I really have no problems gripping the bar, but it's probably time to fit in with the crowd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    That was a great video. When I go visit new places one of the things I do is watch youtube videos to get an idea of where to go and what the trails are like. But I have never seen any that were this informative. Hope to see some more videos like this done all over the bay area.
    Thanks for uploading it. subscribed.
    Thanks, man! That's definitely the goal, to do more and more Bay Area rides and eventually THE WORLD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    So is it Ben-Knee-Sha or Ben-isha?
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    So is it Ben-Knee-Sha or Ben-isha?
    That's a contentious point of debate, it's a coin flip.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Very cool indeed!

Sent from somewhere out there.
    Banned for showing Boobies.

jrm
    mtbr member
    My job takes me into Suisun City once a month. Each time im driving up 680 towards Fairfield i always look at that ridge that runs between Benicia and Fairfield and say "theres GOT to be something to ride up there". There's also a bit o' dirt between Crockett and Martinez as well...Thanks for the vid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    My job takes me into Suisun City once a month. Each time im driving up 680 towards Fairfield i always look at that ridge that runs between Benicia and Fairfield and say "theres GOT to be something to ride up there". There's also a bit o' dirt between Crockett and Martinez as well...Thanks for the vid.
    This trail is just a small sliver of that windy goldmine between Vallejo, Benicia and Fairfield. It has so much potential for trails. Building the political power to get trails built out there is one of my pie in the sky dreams.

One of my favorite little trails is between Crockett and Port Costa. More of a hiking trail if you want to get an actual workout, but I love the views.

mtbr member
    There's a tiny bit of singletrack around there. Not worth an out of town visit but I think great for a local. I used to ride it when I lived there and sometimes will ride it when visiting family in town.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sivilized View Post
    This trail is just a small sliver of that windy goldmine between Vallejo, Benicia and Fairfield. It has so much potential for trails. Building the political power to get trails built out there is one of my pie in the sky dreams.

One of my favorite little trails is between Crockett and Port Costa. More of a hiking trail if you want to get an actual workout, but I love the views.
    There's a tiny tiny tiny bit of singletrack out there. A lot of steep cow infested fireroad climbing to get to them and it's tough to get a meaningful loop in. I'd be glad to show people once I move back to the area this summer.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Who/how did you manage the drone?
    Banned for showing Boobies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    There's a tiny tiny tiny bit of singletrack out there. A lot of steep cow infested fireroad climbing to get to them and it's tough to get a meaningful loop in. I'd be glad to show people once I move back to the area this summer.
    Nice, I'd love to check it out. Hit me up with a PM if it comes to mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    Who/how did you manage the drone?
    Had my cousin man the drone. So many ideas for better shots as I dial this in and do more.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Thinking of relocating to Martinez so i'm really interested in finding local stuff to ride in the area. Ive ridden some the Benicia stuff along the shoreline and around the towers. Might have a chance to ride some of the stuff between Martinez and Crockett this weekend though. That area between Vallejo, Benicia and Fairfield is odd and seems worthy of more exploration.

mtbr member
    Thinking of relocating to Martinez so i'm really interested in finding local stuff to ride in the area. Ive ridden some the Benicia stuff along the shoreline and around the towers. Might have a chance to ride some of the stuff between Martinez and Crockett this weekend though. That area between Vallejo, Benicia and Fairfield is odd and seems worthy of more exploration.
    Martinez is a solid spot, with Crockett Hills, this ride, Rockville, Pena Adobe in Vacaville and Skyline in Napa all relatively close. You can add Briones and Mt. Diablo to that list too, but I haven't found a route at either place that really excited me. Not saying they don't exist!

jrm
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Mackenzie View Post
    There's a tiny bit of singletrack around there. Not worth an out of town visit but I think great for a local. I used to ride it when I lived there and sometimes will ride it when visiting family in town.
    Did a fun grinder ride through the Grizzly Flat Preserve that was kind of fun..