Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trail Conditions Thread - March 19 week

9K views 99 replies 48 participants last post by  Tone No Balone 
#1 ·
Ok, we need this thread now more than ever.

Post actual conditions. Photos, mud viscosity and water content measurements are helpful.

Do not guess. Get out there and tell us actual conditions and what day you were out.

fc

#2 ·
With a sad panda face, I grabbed the CX bike off the hanger, knowing that the most dirt I'll get today would be near the Santa Teresa Blvd. canal and Cholapocalypse Rd.

Well, as I climbed Bernal Rd., I noticed the closure sign was not displayed. I thought, "Eh? Probably a fluke..."

Up Cholapocalypse I went, and when I entered STCP, ALL the signs were not displayed! I gleefully took Fortini back on the CX bike. There were a few on MTBer's on the scene.

It was soft, but I say by tomorrow it should give us all flying and super mutant strength capabilities. STCP opening up this soon after a rain is as rare as a roller blading chupacabra.

*Note: I rode up on a pair of green Chola sweatpants (piled on itself like they were undressed out of) and a pair of shoes on Cholapocalypse. Escapee on the loose!

#3 · (Edited)
I was pondering going to Big Sandy, but this rain thing stopped me.

Went for a 4 hours orienteering race in Black Diamond park near Antioch.

Holy cows...

"Rogain" style race means that you are traveling cross country, directly across those damn steep hills, so I had a good opportunity to criss-cross the whole park and see the death and destruction all those cows cause.

And those jokers worry about erosion from bikes? So many hidden singletrack I saw - all off limits of course. Just messed up land and cow crap.

But I was glad I was wearing my mud spikes on those slopes and roads. Riding bikes on fireroads would have sucked. Weather for running was absolutely perfect.

#7 ·
Fremont Older report. I took my road bike as I was prepared for the worst.
Time: Monday, March 19 6pm
Loop: Golf course parking lot up to vista point and down and around Seven Srpings loopl
Water content: zero
Mud content: zero
Trail quality: singletrack is dark brown, turning to brown. tires are not marking the trail. Fire road is tore up by the horsies but there is a smooth line developing on both sides.

Get out there!!

#13 ·
Rode China Camp at 6pm yesterday. Don't have any pics. How do I quantify what I saw? There were probably 10-12 sections of the loop that had mud/puddles. Given how much rain that fell it was in pretty good shape meaning the tires weren't sinking deep into the trail. Though there were probably 3 of the 10-12 sections that were sloppy enough to make me feel like I should take a few more days off from trail riding. My drive train was pretty grimey at the end. Anyone hit Water Dog yet? I'm thinking to check it out on Wed.

#17 ·
Anyone hit Water Dog yet? I'm thinking to check it out on Wed.
Hit Water Dog on Sunday, couple of standing puddles, nothing unridable, greasy, or looking like it was causing trail damage by riding. For the most part, it was dry already and should be approaching "hero dirt" status by wed. Think it's the wind that's drying the trails out more than the sun.

Curious about Skeggs? Anyone been out there? Prior to the rains it was so primo I was getting Strava PRs left and right on the single track.

#22 ·
Montebello OSP was great IMO. There were a Gabillion ruts through the scattered mud puddles and definitely a few sloppy spots, but in between those sections traction was prime. Creek crossings were about the same as the rest of this winter (below horizontal pedals). Trail is clean and clear of fallen trees right now. There were two days in the beginning of March that I walked and cleaned/ cleared most areas on Canyon and Alpine. A local MTBer on Alpine thanked me and said, '' This is the first time in 13 years I have seen any MTBer work on the trail.'' Since Alpine turns to pnut butter I havn't hit it up, but did widen some parts of the tall weeds and add two wall rides, ha. I been traveling lately, but Aggro-CHad back on the scene.

#30 ·
Coe is awesome right now. Just stay off the new, unpacked trails.
^^^what he said...

...and the Jim Donnelly Trail has quite a few "new, unpacked" sections:
Photobucket
Ruts where some tread work had recently been done (incorrectly BTW), section just beyond was from last season and zero ruts.

Here's "my" corner that some yahoos messed up on Sunday:
Photobucket
Note the Monday AM bike tracks on the left; hardly any mark at all---Coe dirt sets up very fast.

Here's one of the "yahoos":
Photobucket
"Who me???"

Easy 'nuf to fix though:
Photobucket

But I could have spent my time doing more of this:
Photobucket

Watch for a Trail Work Day announcement for this Saturday at Coe from the Sorcerer!

G
#31 ·
Hit Fremont Older up because of francis' suggestion. Seven Springs is all good but the upper half of the park is too shredded by hooves to be worth it. I stayed off Toyon even though it looked plenty dry - didn't want to be the bad apple disobeying the closed gate!

This was also the maiden voyage of my new Steelman! Good lord it was worth the wait. Mucho better than a 16 year old Bontrager :thumbsup:

#32 ·
Hit Fremont Older up because of francis' suggestion. Seven Springs is all good but the upper half of the park is too shredded by hooves to be worth it. I stayed off Toyon even though it looked plenty dry - didn't want to be the bad apple disobeying the closed gate!

This was also the maiden voyage of my new Steelman! Good lord it was worth the wait. Mucho better than a 16 year old Bontrager :thumbsup:
Frickin A = Frickin Awesome!

When I got a Steelman, the 3 month wait became 9 months (twice). And all was forgotten after the first ride.

Xfusion fork? Smart!

fc

#33 ·
Did 20 miles and a couple thousand feet in STCP on the new blue bike. It's soft, but not thrashed... however, Rocky Ridge is BEAT! The rain was kind to Stile Ranch, which was kinda neat; I climbed the rocks.

The ground is just soft enough to make climbing a PITA. Tomorrow should be better.

#34 ·
ord

sunday rode my mt bike 20 miles on the road to the trails into a super stiff headwind blowing north once i hit castroville....rough. some short loops and mostly dry near parker flats. think sponge.

yesterday went back out to the fort (drove) to meet my bro for a mellow ride cause he's on the mend. some fun loops outta parker flats on my rigid 29er, like a giant pump track, perfect traction, two wheel powder drift turns in some spots. towards the end of our ride met up w/another local that i know just from ridin all around here and santa cruz and followed him a bit. ord's such a trip cause everyone's got their favorite loops and sometimes special secrets, learned somethin new yesterday.

#35 ·
sunday rode my mt bike 20 miles on the road to the trails into a super stiff headwind blowing north once i hit castroville....rough. some short loops and mostly dry near parker flats. think sponge.

yesterday went back out to the fort (drove) to meet my bro for a mellow ride cause he's on the mend. some fun loops outta parker flats on my rigid 29er, like a giant pump track, perfect traction, two wheel powder drift turns in some spots. towards the end of our ride met up w/another local that i know just from ridin all around here and santa cruz and followed him a bit. ord's such a trip cause everyone's got their favorite loops and sometimes special secrets, learned somethin new yesterday.
Yo bro.......

way to go!

#37 ·
How'd you like the 456, Dion? I'm liking the sound of the 456 Evo, can't wait for a carbon version. :p It'll be like a carbon mmmBop.

Alum Rock Park and Boccardo was in very good condition. It was drier up top, but still had good traction. Low was "hero dirt" with 1 puddle.

#40 ·
OT - I brought my SS 29r w/ my easy gearing (32x22), as I was planning to go to Kennedy after work. But after looking at the conditions report for Fremont Older, I am considering going there. I have not been there in years.

Am I going to be hating life with this easy gearing at FO? For comparison, I usually use 32x20 or 32x18 lower for places like the Gap.

Any suggestions on a good ~2 hour route at FO?

PS - Mattegory - Sweet Steelman!

#41 ·
OT - I brought my SS 29r w/ my easy gearing (32x22), as I was planning to go to Kennedy after work. But after looking at the conditions report for Fremont Older, I am considering going there. I have not been there in years.

Am I going to be hating life with this easy gearing at FO? For comparison, I usually use 32x20 or 32x18 lower for places like the Gap.

Any suggestions on a good ~2 hour route at FO?

PS - Mattegory - Sweet Steelman!
You'll be fine. Fremont Older is mostly up and down. With that gearing, you can go to the reservoir side and back up and get a workout.

Also, you can hit 'Ranch Road' trail and get our KOMs.

For the record, low singlespeed gearing is really just harmful/PITA on level ground (where you can't spin faster than 12 mph). On hills,you're still pushing a way heavier gear than most geared riders.

fc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.