Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fc
    mtbr founder Administrator

Trail conditions report - week of jan 2

Let us chronicle the drying of NorCal post rainpocalypse with actual trail reports and photos.

Fc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    STCP is open, but still very sloppy in some areas. Stile Ranch trail is probably the worst I've ever seen it: the rain ran through it like a creek and brought up every softball out of the ground possible. Rocky Ridge is muddy at the bottom. Dirt was extremely difficult to climb, but in the places where there isn't a lot of clay it was great for descending.

The place was infested with trail zombies yesterday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    To add to Dion's:

In STCP, Fortini / Mine Hill where it's downhill of the gravel sections and not yet into the single track looks like it's been torn up with a roto-tiller. You can see the 1ft wide singletrack on the very edge of the trail that people have "made" to go around the slop/ruts.

Lightly salted
    Skyline, Napa.
    Little wet going up buckeye, puddles here and there. Down manzanita is slippery due to all the leaves. Very rideable, just don't get your feet wet crossing the creeks, water is ice cold!

Rockville, Fairfield
    Hero dirt conditions, will probably even be dusty in spots with a day or 2 more dry weather. The rocks are a little slick especially the off camber stuff. Few small puddles on Tilley side, but nothing to worry about. Go ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

china camp

I did not get pictures but china was great, one spot was muddy and sticky, other wise super

singletrack bound

no pic's wait....I have one.

Aptos side of Nisene was firming up pretty nice!

three of us with two saws spent some time clearing out some down stuff too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail conditions report - week of jan 2-mushroom-i.jpg  

Sorrel Seeker !!

VRC Illuminati
    Anyone know what shape 'Toga Gap is in? Is Peters open? We've had a stretch of dry now...
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    How's Skeggs this coming friday?
    2014 Specialized Enduro S-Works
    2012 Specialized SJ FSR Elite
    2012 DB Scapegoat
    2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy 25.8lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just rode Briones and some of the single tracks in the area. Mostly hero dirt, with some mud sections in the trees.

mtbr member
    Alpine Road is no go right now. The mud is so thick just below the page mill junction that it snapped off my rear derailer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    STCP got worse

My dog's water bucket having a layer of 1/2" thick ice should've been an indicator of how slushy it was going to be. Very difficult to climb, but when you descend and turn your front wheel 90º and keep going straight? You got clay issues!

Inspector Gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    How 'bout Annadel? Will it be decent by Saturday?
    Rode it yesterday. Rough go, marsh, lawndale, Shultz, pig flat, marsh, two quarry, channel. 20miles Marsh was the sloppiest. Lawndale/Shultz were awesome.

Saturday I rode Boggs. Still white stuff up high and no mud because its all frozen... Even at 1 in the afternoon lol
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    rode JMP/redwood park yesterday and it was mostly nice and sticky. Couple sloppy sections but most can be ridden around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Santa Cruz sucks. Stay away.

Ride Kennedy with Ancient Rascal and crack CHUM jokes to annoy Squash-YO-Wurd!

mtbr member
    Rode Skeggs on Sunday. It was very good, some very small puddles on the lower portions but the trail was firm and sticky! First time in 7 months of living up here that I've gotten to ride Skeggs with no dust! I was amazed!

Enjoy it while it lasts! I'll be out there this weekend and then over to Alice's for some Chicken Wings and beer!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone rode Alum Rock?

mtbr member
    This is the overflow from the lake at the Sacred Heart Jesuit Center.
    On the Jones trail just before the junction with the Flume trail.
    When it stops flowing Saint Joseph's Hill trails are dry.
    The inlet to the lake is the bottom picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail conditions report - week of jan 2-img_1058.jpg  

Trail conditions report - week of jan 2-img_1059.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Anyone rode Alum Rock?
    I jogged up North Rim and it's still pretty soft. I would give it a few more days to dry out a bit before heading out there. That adobe stuff really makes a mess.

Inspector Gadget
    How do the burmas hold up? Think it should be good by Saturday or should we try something else?
    I forgot to say I started on S. Burma from the meadow but it was a slopfest and I didn't feel like pedaling up anymore of that after RG & Marsh. I've ridden N. Burma in the rain and it's been fine.

Oat Hill Mine in Calistoga is a great winter ride if you haven't done that yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    any more info on skeggs? I thought I saw some where that there was a tree down on Blue Blossom? has that been cleared?
    How about giant salamander? good shape or still sloppy?

Just Ride!!!!!
    Anybody know the condition of Tamarancho and would it be ride-able this Saturday? Thx

Inspector Gadget
    Oat Hill Mine is an extra hour from Annadel, and we're coming from San Jose. We can probably pick our way through on Saturday. Just avoid South Burma and any other trails you recommend.
    Head for Lawndale -> Shultz -> Ridge if you have never done them.

fc
    How is Waterdog today?

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Dan Cook on Diablo was fine Tuesday morning. The top was damn cold.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvega View Post
    I did not get pictures but china was great, one spot was muddy and sticky, other wise super

Yikes! Your Super varies greatly from mine. Rode it today and thought it was too muddy to even be out there, but slogged through a short loop anyway. Bay View, Bay Hill, and Bay Ridge had running water heading down the singletrack. Starting to rut out pretty bad especially at switchbacks. Echo was ok. Shoreline and Oak Ridge were muddy messes. Wont be going back for another week at least. I am a big baby.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    what will be best for Friday...
    waterdog
    steven's canyon
    fremont older
    skeggs
    demo?

Just Ride!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessgeek View Post
    what will be best for Friday...
    waterdog
    steven's canyon
    fremont older
    skeggs
    demo?
    Steven's Canyon was OK on New Years Day (Canyon Trail & Bella Vista) and should be much better tomorrow.

fc
    Waterdog today was kinda muddy. I stayed on the normally good parts but it was a bit soft in parts.

Lower Creek and the Finch Switchbacks were just fine.

Should be good by Saturday.

fc

Blargen
    A little harder to get to because of the slide, but Demo was great today.

mtbr member
    Will probably hit Skeggs today.

Thinking about hitting San Joaquin Miller Cinderella trail on Sat. Hope it's rideable.
    2014 Specialized Enduro S-Works
    2012 Specialized SJ FSR Elite
    2012 DB Scapegoat
    2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy 25.8lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I used to live next to JM. Cinderella dries out very quickly, just a couple of muddy spots a few days after rain.

VRC Illuminati
    Saratoga Gap....anyone know about the gate on LR/Peters?

All I can get is from the site/calling is 'seasonal closures' but no specifics. I'd hate to drive up there only to find it shut....forcing me to hop the fence.
    -eric-

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Saratoga Gap....anyone know about the gate on LR/Peters?

All I can get is from the site/calling is 'seasonal closures' but no specifics. I'd hate to drive up there only to find it shut....forcing me to hop the fence.
    It is closed brother. Seasonal closed. That means not permanently closed. But is closed right now. If there is a looooong dry spell they may open it. But mark my word, Peters Creek is closed and it is one of the last to open since it gets wet in there.

Openspace.org - Your Preserves - Trail Conditions + Closures

fc

fc
    Saw the weekend forecast. Rrrain. Except for Saturday morning.

fc

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Skyline Napa kind of muddy. Not good to ride some singletrack up there. North facing still has ice sections at 1 pm, 5 days after rain. Surprisingly wet. Does not drain well after continuous days of rain (drains really well after 1st few rains).

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    It is closed brother. Seasonal closed. That means not permanently closed. But is closed right now. If there is a looooong dry spell they may open it. But mark my word, Peters Creek is closed and it is one of the last to open since it gets wet in there.

Openspace.org - Your Preserves - Trail Conditions + Closures

fc

Damn it. I was afraid of that. Ok, plan B.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    how's Fremont Older or Steven's Canyon looking? I know most of the seasonal stuff is closed at Mid Pen but I might try to get in a quickie tomorrow AM before the rain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gurp View Post
    Just rode Briones and some of the single tracks in the area. Mostly hero dirt, with some mud sections in the trees.
    Where in briones? Usually the lower sections are a mess all winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not bad at all, I expected much worse. Usually I have to wait 2 weeks after a rain. I climbed up Alhambra Creek => Spengler => Briones Ridge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Anybody been to Grant Ranch?

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Any update on Wilder?
    Friday afternoon Zane after the rock garden section was a mess lots of standing water everywhere; the steep little climb after the dh on enchanted is soft with the kind of mud that cakes your tires, there's tons of trickling water and mud puddles on some of the fireroads (e.g. eucalyptus between old cabin and twin oaks). Most of the fun bits of single track are good though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    Anybody been to Grant Ranch?
    Grant is open and ok. Lots of big ruts.

Sweater
    Granite Bay is in great shape overall. A couple puddles in the usual spots but ride-arounds for pretty much everything. Although a 1/2" of rain forecast for tonight so after that it could need a few days to dry out again.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    Friday afternoon Zane after the rock garden section was a mess lots of standing water everywhere; the steep little climb after the dh on enchanted is soft with the kind of mud that cakes your tires, there's tons of trickling water and mud puddles on some of the fireroads (e.g. eucalyptus between old cabin and twin oaks). Most of the fun bits of single track are good though.
    yesterday up behind the water tanks up to Empire was good to go.....nice tac w virtually no standing water but that can be changing here pretty soon.....looks like rain's a commin'.......
    Sorrel Seeker !!

Mtn View, CA
    Gap is open. Hero dirt all the way.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Is this thing on?
    Skegg's is in good shape, that may change with more rain. Very large tree down on BLue Blossom. No real way around it but you can crawl under it and drag the bike behind you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Tamarancho was sweet today. A little muddy in spots and the rocks and roots were a little slick in places, but all rideable. Serpentine and B-17 had sweet hero dirt

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    hit annadel today:

climbed up canyon (which had a few messy spots), and marsh, which was mostly good to go. went through buick meadow, and descended south burma, which was just perfect hero dirt all the way to the new alignment. the section of the new alignment closest to richardson was an absolute mud bog; IMO even worse than the old section which at least had a few rocky areas.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

a slog of Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    yesterday up behind the water tanks up to Empire was good to go.....nice tac w virtually no standing water but that can be changing here pretty soon.....looks like rain's a commin'.......
    A friend and I wandered our way through Wilder and environs today. Started at Twin Gates, meandered down to Wild Boar -> Old Cabin -> meandered down Euc/Enchanted over to Baldwin (fireroad) -> Eagle Cutoff -> Baldwin backup -> Enchanted -> Eucalyptus/Chinquapin -> Twin Gates.

Any of the *stuff* near twin gates that doesn't get much sun is a big mess in a few places.
    As stated, Wild Boar/Old Cabin/down into Enchanted were in great shape. Climbing up Baldwin had some mucky sections, climbing out of Enchanted was interesting. Pedaling - as much energy went into spinning the wheels as they did moving forward - ended up walking a portion.

UCSC trails visible from the parking area near twin gates had visible deep puddles and trees down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    A friend and I wandered our way through Wilder and environs today. Started at Twin Gates, meandered down to Wild Boar -> Old Cabin -> meandered down Euc/Enchanted over to Baldwin (fireroad) -> Eagle Cutoff -> Baldwin backup -> Enchanted -> Eucalyptus/Chinquapin -> Twin Gates.

Any of the *stuff* near twin gates that doesn't get much sun is a big mess in a few places.
    As stated, Wild Boar/Old Cabin/down into Enchanted were in great shape. Climbing up Baldwin had some mucky sections, climbing out of Enchanted was interesting. Pedaling - as much energy went into spinning the wheels as they did moving forward - ended up walking a portion.

UCSC trails visible from the parking area near twin gates had visible deep puddles and trees down.
    Were you there pretty early?

I saw a few guys and followed for a bit then saw them back at Enchanted. I went counter-clockwise and saw the same two going clockwise. Enchanted was pretty nasty up and down the hill, under the canopy was good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast