Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

Trail conditions report - week of jan 2

Let us chronicle the drying of NorCal post rainpocalypse with actual trail reports and photos.

Fc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    STCP is open, but still very sloppy in some areas. Stile Ranch trail is probably the worst I've ever seen it: the rain ran through it like a creek and brought up every softball out of the ground possible. Rocky Ridge is muddy at the bottom. Dirt was extremely difficult to climb, but in the places where there isn't a lot of clay it was great for descending.

The place was infested with trail zombies yesterday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    To add to Dion's:

In STCP, Fortini / Mine Hill where it's downhill of the gravel sections and not yet into the single track looks like it's been torn up with a roto-tiller. You can see the 1ft wide singletrack on the very edge of the trail that people have "made" to go around the slop/ruts.

Lightly salted
    Skyline, Napa.
    Little wet going up buckeye, puddles here and there. Down manzanita is slippery due to all the leaves. Very rideable, just don't get your feet wet crossing the creeks, water is ice cold!

Rockville, Fairfield
    Hero dirt conditions, will probably even be dusty in spots with a day or 2 more dry weather. The rocks are a little slick especially the off camber stuff. Few small puddles on Tilley side, but nothing to worry about. Go ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

china camp

I did not get pictures but china was great, one spot was muddy and sticky, other wise super

singletrack bound

no pic's wait....I have one.

Aptos side of Nisene was firming up pretty nice!

three of us with two saws spent some time clearing out some down stuff too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail conditions report - week of jan 2-mushroom-i.jpg  

Sorrel Seeker !!

VRC Illuminati
    Anyone know what shape 'Toga Gap is in? Is Peters open? We've had a stretch of dry now...
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    How's Skeggs this coming friday?
    2014 Specialized Enduro S-Works
    2012 Specialized SJ FSR Elite
    2012 DB Scapegoat
    2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy 25.8lbs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just rode Briones and some of the single tracks in the area. Mostly hero dirt, with some mud sections in the trees.

mtbr member
    Alpine Road is no go right now. The mud is so thick just below the page mill junction that it snapped off my rear derailer.

Team Chilidog!
    How 'bout Annadel? Will it be decent by Saturday?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    STCP got worse

My dog's water bucket having a layer of 1/2" thick ice should've been an indicator of how slushy it was going to be. Very difficult to climb, but when you descend and turn your front wheel 90 and keep going straight? You got clay issues!

Inspector Gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    How 'bout Annadel? Will it be decent by Saturday?
    Rode it yesterday. Rough go, marsh, lawndale, Shultz, pig flat, marsh, two quarry, channel. 20miles Marsh was the sloppiest. Lawndale/Shultz were awesome.

Saturday I rode Boggs. Still white stuff up high and no mud because its all frozen... Even at 1 in the afternoon lol
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    rode JMP/redwood park yesterday and it was mostly nice and sticky. Couple sloppy sections but most can be ridden around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Santa Cruz sucks. Stay away.

Ride Kennedy with Ancient Rascal and crack CHUM jokes to annoy Squash-YO-Wurd!

mtbr member
    Rode Skeggs on Sunday. It was very good, some very small puddles on the lower portions but the trail was firm and sticky! First time in 7 months of living up here that I've gotten to ride Skeggs with no dust! I was amazed!

Enjoy it while it lasts! I'll be out there this weekend and then over to Alice's for some Chicken Wings and beer!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Rode it yesterday. Rough go, marsh, lawndale, Shultz, pig flat, marsh, two quarry, channel. 20miles Marsh was the sloppiest. Lawndale/Shultz were awesome.

Saturday I rode Boggs. Still white stuff up high and no mud because its all frozen... Even at 1 in the afternoon lol
    How do the burmas hold up? Think it should be good by Saturday or should we try something else?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone rode Alum Rock?

mtbr member
    This is the overflow from the lake at the Sacred Heart Jesuit Center.
    On the Jones trail just before the junction with the Flume trail.
    When it stops flowing Saint Joseph's Hill trails are dry.
    The inlet to the lake is the bottom picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail conditions report - week of jan 2-img_1058.jpg  

Trail conditions report - week of jan 2-img_1059.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Anyone rode Alum Rock?
    I jogged up North Rim and it's still pretty soft. I would give it a few more days to dry out a bit before heading out there. That adobe stuff really makes a mess.

Inspector Gadget
    How do the burmas hold up? Think it should be good by Saturday or should we try something else?
    I forgot to say I started on S. Burma from the meadow but it was a slopfest and I didn't feel like pedaling up anymore of that after RG & Marsh. I've ridden N. Burma in the rain and it's been fine.

Oat Hill Mine in Calistoga is a great winter ride if you haven't done that yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    any more info on skeggs? I thought I saw some where that there was a tree down on Blue Blossom? has that been cleared?
    How about giant salamander? good shape or still sloppy?

Just Ride!!!!!
    Anybody know the condition of Tamarancho and would it be ride-able this Saturday? Thx

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    I forgot to say I started on S. Burma from the meadow but it was a slopfest and I didn't feel like pedaling up anymore of that after RG & Marsh. I've ridden N. Burma in the rain and it's been fine.

Oat Hill Mine in Calistoga is a great winter ride if you haven't done that yet.
    Oat Hill Mine is an extra hour from Annadel, and we're coming from San Jose. We can probably pick our way through on Saturday. Just avoid South Burma and any other trails you recommend.

Inspector Gadget
    Oat Hill Mine is an extra hour from Annadel, and we're coming from San Jose. We can probably pick our way through on Saturday. Just avoid South Burma and any other trails you recommend.
    Head for Lawndale -> Shultz -> Ridge if you have never done them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast