Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Tamarancho was sweet today. A little muddy in spots and the rocks and roots were a little slick in places, but all rideable. Serpentine and B-17 had sweet hero dirt

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    hit annadel today:

climbed up canyon (which had a few messy spots), and marsh, which was mostly good to go. went through buick meadow, and descended south burma, which was just perfect hero dirt all the way to the new alignment. the section of the new alignment closest to richardson was an absolute mud bog; IMO even worse than the old section which at least had a few rocky areas.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

a slog of Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    yesterday up behind the water tanks up to Empire was good to go.....nice tac w virtually no standing water but that can be changing here pretty soon.....looks like rain's a commin'.......
    A friend and I wandered our way through Wilder and environs today. Started at Twin Gates, meandered down to Wild Boar -> Old Cabin -> meandered down Euc/Enchanted over to Baldwin (fireroad) -> Eagle Cutoff -> Baldwin backup -> Enchanted -> Eucalyptus/Chinquapin -> Twin Gates.

Any of the *stuff* near twin gates that doesn't get much sun is a big mess in a few places.
    As stated, Wild Boar/Old Cabin/down into Enchanted were in great shape. Climbing up Baldwin had some mucky sections, climbing out of Enchanted was interesting. Pedaling - as much energy went into spinning the wheels as they did moving forward - ended up walking a portion.

UCSC trails visible from the parking area near twin gates had visible deep puddles and trees down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    A friend and I wandered our way through Wilder and environs today. Started at Twin Gates, meandered down to Wild Boar -> Old Cabin -> meandered down Euc/Enchanted over to Baldwin (fireroad) -> Eagle Cutoff -> Baldwin backup -> Enchanted -> Eucalyptus/Chinquapin -> Twin Gates.

Any of the *stuff* near twin gates that doesn't get much sun is a big mess in a few places.
    As stated, Wild Boar/Old Cabin/down into Enchanted were in great shape. Climbing up Baldwin had some mucky sections, climbing out of Enchanted was interesting. Pedaling - as much energy went into spinning the wheels as they did moving forward - ended up walking a portion.

UCSC trails visible from the parking area near twin gates had visible deep puddles and trees down.
    Were you there pretty early?

I saw a few guys and followed for a bit then saw them back at Enchanted. I went counter-clockwise and saw the same two going clockwise. Enchanted was pretty nasty up and down the hill, under the canopy was good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Question regarding south bay preserve trails: I live in Fresno and commute to San Jose almost every weekend. Last spring I brought my bike many times and went to a few trails in the preserves above the Saratoga area off of skyline blvd, such as the Saratoga Gap, Long Ridge, and various trails in Monte Bello.

I remember seeing seasonal closure signs (closed during wet months) and am wondering, generally speaking, when do they usually open trails up? late May? late June?

Thanks!
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    We started at Twin Gates around 9am and finished up around 12pm (probably earlier). Slight delays due to a rather inglorious dismount on a tight switchback. Had to patch a cut knee w/ tissues and duct tape.

We saw a couple of people when talking with one of the rangers who was putting in / fixing up signs. Otherwise we didn't see too many people going the same route we were (aside from the high school group who insisted we *going uphill* make way for their flow down hill).

I was on a white/black Niner full suspension, my friend was on a charcoal gray 29er (forget the brand) hard tail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Huusoku View Post
    I remember seeing seasonal closure signs (closed during wet months) and am wondering, generally speaking, when do they usually open trails up? late May? late June?
    Lots of wet season closures, though it really is more a function of amount of rain and amount of sun, not "closed at a particular time".

That said, there are places like Sierra Azul/Kennedy that are open even after a rain, generally. So, the real answer is "it depends". The "Trail Condition" threads here are your best bet or trying to call a particular park you are interested in.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Depends on how much rain we get. For instance Peter's creek is a probably a mess right now and in my experience it would require 10 days of no rain w/decent temps before the rangers deem it fit to reopen. And then they might close it again if we get another storm. In my experience by mid March most of the season closures are done.

Is this thing on?
    Question regarding south bay preserve trails: I live in Fresno and commute to San Jose almost every weekend. Last spring I brought my bike many times and went to a few trails in the preserves above the Saratoga area off of skyline blvd, such as the Saratoga Gap, Long Ridge, and various trails in Monte Bello.

Thanks!
    Mike
    Mike, for Mid-Pen OSPs go here to check for seasonal trail closures Openspace.org - Your Preserves - Trail Conditions + Closures The trails open and close depending upon how wet/muddy they are. Some open after a few days to dry out, others can take weeks to dry out enough to open. Mid-Pen does a OK job keeping the website up to date.

Sweater
    Hit auburn today. Fhdl/connector. Mostly good but wet and slick in places. Not wet enough to receive damage from use but you will need to clean up before getting in the auto for the ride home. If you don't like cleaning a muddy bike it may not be the right time for you. I suspect it's probably going to be best to stay away until later this week after tonight's rain.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey guys thank you for the many nice replies. Yes I've done Kennedy climb twice now and also most of the trails at Almaden Quicksilver and Santa Teresa Parks. I prefer to be higher up in the trees I understand it can vary based on weather but the comments of "a few days after it rains", and "usually around March time" help me gain a better perspective and I appreciate it.

I will check that website also for info each weekend.

Cheers and cya on the trails,
    Mike

Sent via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Someone posted on page one of this thread about Skeggs being OK. We went there today largely based on that.

There was indeed a big tree down on Blue Blossom. There were also plenty of fresh rockslides across the trails. None of them were impassable but if you are used to bombing down certain trails quickly, you may encounter a few nasty surprises.

Overall the trails were pretty good but a bit soft. A few trails had clay and washing the bike this week is not going to be easy.

We started at noon and at 2:30 it started raining on us just as we finished up. Maybe by next Saturday we'll be back to square one.

Resident Curmudgeon
    rode Brushy peak in Livermore for a nice workout. tonights rain should give it a nice tack as it was a bit crusty. Fun ride with the potential for a few loops of hard cardio

pics

Brushy Peak Jan 5 Photos by Eric1218 | Photobucket
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    rode waterdog today, nice ride, a little wet in spots but overall a nice place to be. I rode today at 1pm. The skys looked like they were going to open up but no rain while I was there. It was wet in all the normal places. great time, saw a number of different people riding and they all looked to be havign a great time. It started raining here in the Redwood City around 5-6, I hope waterdog holds up for tomorrow.

swag ho Administrator
    This is how much rain has fallen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail conditions report - week of jan 2-sf_24hrprecip-3-.png  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Does anyone know if STCP is open today? I know they close it pretty quickly with a little rain.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Benlandis24 View Post
    Does anyone know if STCP is open today? I know they close it pretty quickly with a little rain.
    It should be closed. I rode there on Friday and Saturday, and there was still lots of mud and slop—the trails (especially Rocky Ridge) should have been closed—after this most recent passing of precipitation, I’d hope they remain closed for several more days, as that sort of clay soil takes a while to properly dry out.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Kind of what I figured. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    STCP all trails currently closed. Call (408) 355-2200, press 7 at first menu, 4 at second.

Rode there yesterday late afternoon, the bottom of Rocky Ridge was muddy, I was kind of surprised that it had been open for a few days.

singletrack bound
    Fort Ord Sunday Jan 6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail conditions report - week of jan 2-fort-jan-6-ii.jpg  

Trail conditions report - week of jan 2-fort-jan-6-i.jpg  

Trail conditions report - week of jan 2-fort-jan-6-vii.jpg  

Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member

On Lower Brother's Bypass

IMG_1090 by Couch Bike Dude, on Flickr

My favorite spot was crowded today

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Learned the hard way to always check if STCP is open. People were still riding though so I don't know if I could have gone ahead and ridden anyway. There was a park employee truck parked in a field though so I was nervous. Saw Arastradero was open and went there instead. Was a little muddy in some spots, especially if there was shade. Unfortunately that dirt just sticks to your tires so I don't know what to do with my bike now.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch Bike Dude View Post

IMG_1090 by Couch Bike Dude, on Flickr

My favorite spot was crowded today
    Great to see you out there in our back yard Bike Couch Dude! Rode Priest Rock today and the weather was amazing!
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if its possible to ride up Stevens Canyon Road, to the trail, and up towards Montebello (not towards Saratoga Gap)? I can't remember if that creek crossing involves only Table Mountain, or if you cross it on Canyon trail.

mtbr member
    Rode Waterdog yesterday afternoon. Still a bit muddy in a few areas for sure. Good riding, but it could definitely use a bit more time to dry out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast