Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trail conditions report - week of jan 2

10K views 90 replies 57 participants last post by  timbo2000 
#1 ·
Let us chronicle the drying of NorCal post rainpocalypse with actual trail reports and photos.

Fc

#33 ·
It is closed brother. Seasonal closed. That means not permanently closed. But is closed right now. If there is a looooong dry spell they may open it. But mark my word, Peters Creek is closed and it is one of the last to open since it gets wet in there.

Openspace.org - Your Preserves - Trail Conditions + Closures

fc

#35 ·
Skyline Napa kind of muddy. Not good to ride some singletrack up there. North facing still has ice sections at 1 pm, 5 days after rain. Surprisingly wet. Does not drain well after continuous days of rain (drains really well after 1st few rains).

#41 ·
Any update on Wilder?
Friday afternoon Zane after the rock garden section was a mess lots of standing water everywhere; the steep little climb after the dh on enchanted is soft with the kind of mud that cakes your tires, there's tons of trickling water and mud puddles on some of the fireroads (e.g. eucalyptus between old cabin and twin oaks). Most of the fun bits of single track are good though.

#43 ·
Granite Bay is in great shape overall. A couple puddles in the usual spots but ride-arounds for pretty much everything. Although a 1/2" of rain forecast for tonight so after that it could need a few days to dry out again.

#48 ·
hit annadel today:

climbed up canyon (which had a few messy spots), and marsh, which was mostly good to go. went through buick meadow, and descended south burma, which was just perfect hero dirt all the way to the new alignment. the section of the new alignment closest to richardson was an absolute mud bog; IMO even worse than the old section which at least had a few rocky areas.

#51 ·
Question regarding south bay preserve trails: I live in Fresno and commute to San Jose almost every weekend. Last spring I brought my bike many times and went to a few trails in the preserves above the Saratoga area off of skyline blvd, such as the Saratoga Gap, Long Ridge, and various trails in Monte Bello.

I remember seeing seasonal closure signs (closed during wet months) and am wondering, generally speaking, when do they usually open trails up? late May? late June?

Thanks!
Mike

#53 ·
I remember seeing seasonal closure signs (closed during wet months) and am wondering, generally speaking, when do they usually open trails up? late May? late June?
Lots of wet season closures, though it really is more a function of amount of rain and amount of sun, not "closed at a particular time".

That said, there are places like Sierra Azul/Kennedy that are open even after a rain, generally. So, the real answer is "it depends". The "Trail Condition" threads here are your best bet or trying to call a particular park you are interested in.

#52 ·
We started at Twin Gates around 9am and finished up around 12pm (probably earlier). Slight delays due to a rather inglorious dismount on a tight switchback. Had to patch a cut knee w/ tissues and duct tape.

We saw a couple of people when talking with one of the rangers who was putting in / fixing up signs. Otherwise we didn't see too many people going the same route we were (aside from the high school group who insisted we *going uphill* make way for their flow down hill).

I was on a white/black Niner full suspension, my friend was on a charcoal gray 29er (forget the brand) hard tail.

#56 ·
Hit auburn today. Fhdl/connector. Mostly good but wet and slick in places. Not wet enough to receive damage from use but you will need to clean up before getting in the auto for the ride home. If you don't like cleaning a muddy bike it may not be the right time for you. I suspect it's probably going to be best to stay away until later this week after tonight's rain.

#57 ·
Hey guys thank you for the many nice replies. Yes I've done Kennedy climb twice now and also most of the trails at Almaden Quicksilver and Santa Teresa Parks. I prefer to be higher up in the trees :) I understand it can vary based on weather but the comments of "a few days after it rains", and "usually around March time" help me gain a better perspective and I appreciate it.

I will check that website also for info each weekend.

Cheers and cya on the trails,
Mike

Sent via Tapatalk

#58 ·
Someone posted on page one of this thread about Skeggs being OK. We went there today largely based on that.

There was indeed a big tree down on Blue Blossom. There were also plenty of fresh rockslides across the trails. None of them were impassable but if you are used to bombing down certain trails quickly, you may encounter a few nasty surprises.

Overall the trails were pretty good but a bit soft. A few trails had clay and washing the bike this week is not going to be easy.

We started at noon and at 2:30 it started raining on us just as we finished up. Maybe by next Saturday we'll be back to square one.

#60 ·
rode waterdog today, nice ride, a little wet in spots but overall a nice place to be. I rode today at 1pm. The skys looked like they were going to open up but no rain while I was there. It was wet in all the normal places. great time, saw a number of different people riding and they all looked to be havign a great time. It started raining here in the Redwood City around 5-6, I hope waterdog holds up for tomorrow.

#63 ·
It should be closed. I rode there on Friday and Saturday, and there was still lots of mud and slop-the trails (especially Rocky Ridge) should have been closed-after this most recent passing of precipitation, I'd hope they remain closed for several more days, as that sort of clay soil takes a while to properly dry out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.