Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trail Conditions Report - Week of Jan. 14

6K views 90 replies 54 participants last post by  TahoeBC 
#1 ·
Sixty degrees is going to feel like seventy. Hoo-rah!

fc

Attachments

See less See more
#36 ·
They were doing some SAR drills for downed aircraft. At least thats what I overheard when I stopped for a water refill.

everything was in pretty good shape in STCP. RR was kinda wet at the bottom where it was facing north, same with some parts on Ohlone.

#40 · (Edited)
Rode up the Stanford side of Mission Peak (dry all the way) and along the ridge and down to Ed Levin Park today. In the shaded spots along the ridge, there are a few muddy spots and even some small patches of snow. Didn't bring the camera since it was going to be pretty hazy, but would have been a good picture of the snow up there. The descent from Monument peak was great at the top, almost lost the trail one time as everything was covered in new green grass. Followed the road on the GPS screen until I found it again. But once you hit about 1500', the dirt gets wetter and softer and is totally chewed by by the cattle. Finally at about 1000' it dried out and is better riding. After cresting the ridge, saw almost nobody after dodging hikers all the way to the top:
- MissionPeak-EdLevin | Cycling Workout | Endomondo

#42 ·
Got sucked into an "easy" ride today with the wife. Hit up Wilder. Did Wilder Ridge, Enchanted, and Baldwin before hitting up the Ohlone Trail to head back to town. For a day like today, the "north end" of Wilder + the Ohlone Bluff Trail really do show off the beauty of this area. I was nagged with "why didn't we bring picnic items". :rolleyes:

Watching 8-10 ft surf at both four mile and three mile beaches was pretty fun.

#43 ·
Great weekend of riding. Rode Skeggs early Saturday conditions were primo. Rode Saratoga gap early Sunday, petes creek trail was open and in good shape. I rode out to the tree farm and back and there were some wet slick conditions, but not too bad. Trails were in good shape for this time of year after the heavy rains and cold conditions.

#46 ·
Arastradero is still slick in some spots, either due to bad drainage or being too cold and in the shade. Everything is open but definitely watch out for the slick spots that can surprise you.
Is it possible to ride Arastradero without getting the bike caked in mud? I was thinking of riding there tomorrow, but don't want to ride for an hour if I need to clean my bike for an hour after.

#53 ·
light rain

We've been getting a fairly consistent light rain this morning.

Last weekend there were still some lingering muddy spots in UCSC/Wilder (those places that take awhile to dry out). I suspect those places will be in the same condition this weekend that they were last.

That said, the bulk of the other trails should be in pretty good shape.

General rule, this time of year, if it doesn't get a lot of sun or is in a seep zone, it stays muddy for awhile.

#60 ·
just got home and checked my gauge here in Aptos and I got just under a tenth of an inch.
Should be good riding Friday all around!
These showers should be perfect cause it was just starting to dry out to the point where dust clouds were beginning to appear!

I'm going to ride the westside (S.C.) tomorrow afternoon.

Think I'll choose the SS! :thumbsup:

#70 ·
just got home and checked my gauge here in Aptos and I got just under a tenth of an inch.
Should be good riding Friday all around!
These showers should be perfect cause it was just starting to dry out to the point where dust clouds were beginning to appear!

I'm going to ride the westside (S.C.) tomorrow afternoon.

Think I'll choose the SS! :thumbsup:
get some! i hit the fort up twice last weekend, there was actually mud in some spots. just gettin back into it a bit after takin that nasty fall over the break, been ridin to work though. probably hit up the westside/wilder tomorrow w/a buddy tomorrow. hit me up for some wed rides tone, daylight just keeps getting longer.

#65 ·
Stcp?

If anyone gets a chance to ride Santa Teresa Friday AM/mid-day, give us a heads-up!
Prime conds or got a bit too wet?

Some may want to partake in a Friday mid- afternoon ride and it's hard to guess whether the ~half-inch that hit elsewhere around SJ hit STCP too(?), and if it did whether it over-taxed the trails a bit??

(Trail hotline still has the Monday "all clear" recording as of just now.)

#68 ·
If anyone gets a chance to ride Santa Teresa Friday AM/mid-day, give us a heads-up!
Prime conds or got a bit too wet?

Some may want to partake in a Friday mid- afternoon ride and it's hard to guess whether the ~half-inch that hit elsewhere around SJ hit STCP too(?), and if it did whether it over-taxed the trails a bit??

(Trail hotline still has the Monday "all clear" recording as of just now.)
It was pretty dry for the most part all week, prior to the rain on Thursday. With the amount of rain I got (I live < 1 mile from STCP) on Thursday morning and last night, I'd wait till Saturday morning if it doesn't rain today. The last time we got rain, the clay trail were a mess.

Our local STCP lunchtime rider Dion, would probably have better information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.