Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trail Conditions Report - Week of Jan. 14

6K views 90 replies 54 participants last post by  TahoeBC 
#1 ·
Sixty degrees is going to feel like seventy. Hoo-rah!

fc

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Should have dried out by...

...now but some trails at Coe are being kept muddy due to the freezing conditions:

Jim Donnelly Trail at 2:30 today.

#10 ·
annadel had a few muddy spots this weekend, but not bad over all. i went up canyon, up marsh to buick meadow, then down south burma and back down canyon.

99% of south burma was perfect, just the last 100' or so that was super muddy, and rutted. not sure if its a drainage design issue, or if its the soil type.

#13 ·
Just finished riding Waterdog. It was good then it sucked. Lake Loop has a mud bog, Finch Trail and Chaparral are pretty soft in spots.

It's classic Waterdog as once it gets wet, it takes so long to dry off as many areas get so cold and never see the sun.

#17 ·
Skyline NAPA. Not so great 1-17-2013

So I expected Skyline to be very dry as we have only had one rain day in the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately, that place is so North facing that it just will not dry. The trails are getting pounded by bikes, and the 16 inch single track is 3 feet wide as people try to bypass the muddy sections. Kind of sad looking, and I hope the grass grows back on the edges. Some of the S turns are being straightlined too, and that is just wrong. Trail Abusers! Sorry Napa locals, I probably will stop riding until spring up there.

#22 ·
Gap was good (and finally open) early yesterday morning. Some frozen mud on Peters Creek... But not too bad.

Skeggs was amazing this afternoon... Except for Mid Pen. No other cars out there with bike racks this afternoon. I didn't see anyone else out on the trails the entire time I was there... except for 1 ranger hanging out with his radar gun on the lead up to Blue Blossom waiting to pull me over. Weak sauce. Dirt was great though. Still a huge tree down on BB. The tree on Methuselah got cleared out though.

Hoping Demo is good tomorrow.

#25 ·
Frickn Waterdog. It will be the last to dry. The reason is it does not get direct sun at all. In the last couple of weeks, everything was frozen. So now that the ice has melted, the water is just mixing it up with the saturated soil.

It is rideable if you don't go to Lake Loop. But really every other trail in the Bay Area will be in better shape.

fc

#27 · (Edited)
just want to chime in.....
rode Nisene last night.....
not cold......
tried and tried but couldn't break my tires loose!!!!

ran into a husband/wife from Hood River who shuttled up and did a loop in Demo and came down my side and they were grinning "ear to ear".

they just got in before dark though.

Have fun out there today! :D

edit: forgot to mention, it was 72 degrees when I started my ride yesterday.

#30 ·
Rode most of Auburn on Thursday. The lower half of FHDL (first half going ccw) was pretty messy...so much so that I ended up avoiding it. Culvert was also a mess, but Stage, Quarry and Connector were fine.
Just returned from a hike today and it seems many areas have firmed up nicely. Might still want to avoid the single-track section that leads to the Foresthill road crossing at the peak of the trail as it is likely still a mess. It is also tough enough taking the steep gravel road climb out of there to hit Foresthill road, so no effort is lost. ;)

#31 ·
Skeggs was awesome this morning with just a few soft spots in the usual places. I'm seriously out of shape--Skegg is tough, but today seemed like the hardest 16 miles I've ever done.

- A couple trees down on Blue Blossom. One small and another huge one near the climb to the Springboard intersection. You can crawl under it.

- A massive tree(s) down on ECdM between the creek and North Leaf. You can get through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.