Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Any update on conditions at Joaquin Miller?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    ...a double rainbow!
    What does it mean?

STCP is clay'ish and not quite heroic. The dirt was resistant to rolling fast, and it went past sticky to slippery. I just sunk into most of it and made climbing a bit of a chore. Going downhill wasn't bad.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    South Lake Tahoe - Armstrong connector / Corral /Sidewinder / Incense Ceder

But the fun may end again come Wednesday
    Wow! How far up did you get? All the way to Armstrong pass, rim trail? Its one of my favorite rides!

mtbr member
    Los gatos got pretty wet tonight...I think Demo might be damp. I say everyone ditch your bike and grab a shovel...go build one sweet jumps/berm/step up/step down somewhere...then tell me where.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IP_Ale View Post
    Any update on conditions at Joaquin Miller?
    Rode there yesterday and everything is doing well. Overall, everything is slightly softer, so you might not set any records, but the trails are in good shape with little damage and not too muddy. It's one of my local rides, I live a couple miles away so I can report on it maybe 3 times a week or so...
    Last edited by three3nine; 12-15-2012 at 03:47 PM.

mtbr member
    A couple other updates, China Camp on Monday was good, still fast and smooth with only a little sticky muddy stuff on the bottom of the CCW loop.

Today Tamarancho was pretty sloppy, slippery ad sticky in many places, lots of slippery rocks and roots. I did a full loop and then another half loop back to Goldman, Broken Dam up to b17 extension to Porcupine and White Hill. Everything, for the most part, that is under the trees is pretty nice, so e of the more exposed runs and stuff in the oaks and meadows is pretty muddy. Some of you guys probably have it nailed better than me but a few of the switchbacks were pretty tough for me too, just too slippery and steep with the rocks and roots. Started raining pretty good toward the end too, but it was a fun and a good workout...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    anyone riding/rode Skeggs today? Wondering if Skeggs will be rideable tomorrow

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Los gatos got pretty wet tonight...I think Demo might be damp. I say everyone ditch your bike and grab a shovel...go build one sweet jumps/berm/step up/step down somewhere...then tell me where.
    Translation: Los Gatos got just enough rain last night for there to be hero dirt conditions up in the LG hills today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    anyone riding/rode Skeggs today? Wondering if Skeggs will be rideable tomorrow
    Rode it this morning, really solid conditions. I stayed up high (Santa Morena, down Steam Donkey, up Springboard, down Blue Blossom, up Gordon Mill, up Methuselah to Manzanita, down Cross-over, back up Gordon Mill). Very little standing water, rocks/roots not really slippery, no mud, just damp hero dirt. Lots of blow down from the trees but otherwise quite nice. I think it could take some more rain today and still be solid tomorrow. Cold as heck though, low 40's so cold on the descents but needs roll down the arm warmers, etc on the long climbs.

ask
    user
    Demo was good... cold, but good dirt this morning. When I was leaving an hour or so ago it started to dump though, Guessing it will be too wet tomorrow.

mtbr member
    China Camp turned pretty sloppy today after it started dumping...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Do you guys think JM in OAK will be ride able in the morning or did it rain to much today?
    Going to try briones in the am. Hope it's ok
    Last edited by JMann; 12-15-2012 at 11:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    STCP is closed.

I'm really diggin it!
    Tamarancho changed from chunky peanut butter to creamy today. Please give the trails a rest. Your bikes will appreciate it too!

mtbr member
    Regarding the Joaquin Miller inquiry above -- even after the rain moved on there was mist and fog up there today and nothing was drying out.

The trails in Redwood where I walk my dog didn't seem too bad around noon so I rode up through the neighborhood streets on my old rigid 26" to ride through the park on the Ridge trails and dump out onto Pinehurst and finish the ride on the road. The Ridge trails are mostly exposed and are usually the first things to dry out up there, but they were pretty sloppy in places.

There were some other people out there having a go anyway, so if you had gone you would not have been alone.

Team Chilidog!
    Weekend ride report:
    - Ft. Ord Saturday, good a bit sandy for my taste, but was probably better Sunday, but still very very nice.
    - Russian Ridge. Ugh, whadda mess. When I've ridden it in the past years during the wet season, it was nice and not sloppy at all. Haven't ridden there in a couple of years, but there are some interesting reroutes. Today it was a slickfest and tire clogger. Ironically, Ancient Oaks was the most enjoyable because there was more traction on the wet roots and leaves than the clay-like soil there. Definitely taking this off my wet-riding trails.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

swag ho Administrator
    unstick.

The new weather forecast is horrible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Rode Pleasanton Ridge - Foothill side today and yesterday...great dirt a a lil mud but nothing bad...just makes things faster

fyi - wanted to ride Santa Teresa Park today and all trails closed to bikers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    unstick.

The new weather forecast is horrible.
    Yes. Miserable. Stick a fork in this year....at 95% of our local MTB spots, it's done.

If I were rich (not) and a mountain biker (that i am), I would fly off ASAP for a long trip to Australia....

What do you say about riding conditions Demo this Friday. It looks like a small weather system coming in Wed. A group of us from Sac are planning this day to ride and could use some help so that we get a good ride and don't tear it up.. How does the soil drain?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Havent been to demo in a while. If i recall during pass winters, demo is going to be muddy. Avoid crusack short cut, avoid the last section of suffer spring. But that has been rerouted. Also, i heard braille is super slick this time of year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Any guesses on when Tamarancho will be ready? I was planning on doing it Friday, but I am worried that it might still be too wet?

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by banebane View Post
    Any guesses on when Tamarancho will be ready? I was planning on doing it Friday, but I am worried that it might still be too wet?
    I have a couple of rules of thumb for the Marin area trails. China Camp is my go to for first dry, just stay off of shoreline trail. Tam is next, the south side of Tam dries out a day or two after the North Side of China Camp. Then West Marin, Tamarancho included. West Marin dries last. The north facing areas take forever to dry. Sometimes all year if its foggy, Pine Mountain loop etc.

swag ho Administrator
    What a bummer. Roadie, trainer or out of town.
    IPA will save America

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    What a bummer. Roadie, trainer or out of town.
    Welcome to my life. You can always help with trail building

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast