Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trail condition update 12/24 onward?

4K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  Loll 
#1 ·
Did anyone get out today to ride? What is ridable tomorrow? I heard st joseph hills is dry/ridable right now.

Anywhere else?

#2 ·
The wife and I did El Serino today. Went up the pavement and down the dirt. A few wet spots but all good.

We see people who ride up the dirt and go down the pavement. Seems backwards. I can see riding up and down the dirt but why would you miss out on the dirt when it is in perfect condition?

#3 ·
That's gonna be pretty much it. In the South Bay, at least... St. Joe's, Kennedy, the usual. :(

Maybe after some drying, south of this side of the hill might get good, but I think it's pretty much fireroads until 2013. Looks like on-and-off rain during the week.

#4 ·
The trails in LG are fine. Except there is a mud slide near the bottom of overgrown. Once it dries, it will be fine... But until then it is soupy deep mud. I opted to climb back up overgrown instead of walking through it, after watching another guy sink up to his calves.

Vegetation Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

#17 ·
This is overgrown trail a few weeks ago after the huge morning rain. Is the slide close to this area pic? View attachment 747876 Thare she blows ! San Francisco Radar | Weather Underground Possible window from 1 - 3pm today !
I can't tell exactly where that picture is from... but I think the slide is right around the corner to the left in the picture.

The slide is location on the uphill section that follows that downhill section if you are headed up from the road. IE right after that super steep section after the flat / mud section.

#9 ·
Didn't get the tires on any dirt yesterday, except for all the mud covered under crossings on the bike trails. Did hit up the San Tomas Aquino Creek, Guadalupe River and Coyote Creek trails yesterday. I think the water levels got higher with Sunday's rain than the big storm a week or so ago. Some of the under crossings had been 6-8' under water and some were still under water Monday.

I walked down a few miles of the STAC trail Sunday night when the water levels were up and it was really impressive. Water was going by 15-20 MPH with huge standing waves ahead of any road abutments. Water was coming off the one large waterfall at about a 45* angle (instead of straight down). Water was rolling up and onto the pavement at the under crossing below (this photo was taken 2 storms ago after the water level had dropped somewhat - but you can see all the debris on the pavement washed up by the waves):

So the water was about 2'-3' higher when I was out there Sunday night, but too dark to take a picture. I was surprised the city had not closed the trail this time, usually they have the gates locked at the first rain drop.

#12 ·
Mission Peak - Stanford Side

Mission Peak was great this morning. Traction was unbelievable. And for 99% of the ride up it was sand and rock dry.

Rain start coming down hard as soon as I hit the summit. It start getting messy on the way down. However, I imagine as soon as it stop raining for 24 hours it will be ridable again.:thumbsup:

Note when I took the picture that's the amount of mud on my tire. Downtube was completely clean.

Attachments

#13 ·
Mission Peak was great this morning. Traction was unbelievable. And for 99% of the ride up it was sand and rock dry.

Rain start coming down hard as soon as I hit the summit. It start getting messy on the way down. However, I imagine as soon as it stop raining for 24 hours it will be ridable again.:thumbsup:

Note when I took the picture that's the amount of mud on my tire. Downtube was completely clean.
I rode up the Stanford side on Saturday and we had a tire full of mud before the first bench. It made for a great training ride :). It looks to have improved immensely since then.

#16 ·
After hours of lounging about the house, the wife decided we should go riding at the local park (road or trail, she just wanted to do a short ride). We opted for ride up road, trail down, road back home.

It was getting a tad dark, so lights would have helped, but trail conditions even if ma nature decided it was time to rain, were decent. A couple of miles of trails, a few puddles, but hard to argue on a rainy day.

Ride back to the house involved rain. I didn't need to clean the bikes. Can't complain.

Having places that are "reasonable to ride" despite the weather are useful to have nearby.

#23 ·
Demo update:

Got a chance to ride an epic out there with my buddy Slidemon. We covered 5000k footies and descended like Canadians. Anyhow, trails were in pretty decent shape. No real mud to worry about other than a slight splattering here and there. Everything was pretty tacky and awesome. Braille is definitely much gnarlier than normal with all the rain and there is dead fall (watch those derailleurs). Dig the new Ridge re-route by the way...I can actually manage that ****.

We came in from Aptos so no idea what's happening with the Highland mud slide...it was pretty chilly up there too.

#25 ·
China Camp, 3 hrs of riding friday

San Rafael side was perfect. Small rivers (1 inch deep) running down center of Bay side or east side (no rain for 48 hrs). Try to stay on San Rafael side of mountain right after rain. I hope people get motivated for maintenance in the spring, east side needs a little TLC, it is not very bad (ruts). Maybe we keep it from blowing up from ruts? Seems like water bars would do alot to get water off trails/ruts. GO GET IT!

G
#27 ·
San Rafael side was perfect. Small rivers (1 inch deep) running down center of Bay side or east side (no rain for 48 hrs). Try to stay on San Rafael side of mountain right after rain. I hope people get motivated for maintenance in the spring, east side needs a little TLC, it is not very bad (ruts). Maybe we keep it from blowing up from ruts? Seems like water bars would do alot to get water off trails/ruts. GO GET IT!
The west side of China Camp handles the rain so well! 3 hrs of fun today.

#26 ·
Skeggs update: I rode there today (Thurs 28) and there are large trees down across several trails, but all of which we could climb over/under with bikes, one large rock slide area, lots of general tree-fall debris all over the place. Some small amounts of water running down several trails and a few muddy spots, but overall I would say it's holding up pretty well. Definitely worth going up there, had a fun ride today - it's been a while since I rode the place (and I've lost a huge amount of fitness since the sumer!).

#31 ·
Did China Camp Counter Clockwise loop today, not as bad as the other two days ago. There are some rutted out muddy spots but it was still nice, china camp always drains good. I also did chickshack/big rock yesterday. It was good, I just hate fire road rides even on good days....

#35 ·
Another Skeggs update. Resolution, Manzanita, Crossover/Crosscut, and all the fire roads in between are in really good shape considering the amount of rain we've had. Manzinita is getting back to what it was before midpen turned it into a fire road a year ago. Near the end of blue blossom there is a big tree and a couple of small trees down. Hard to get around but not impossible, I'd actually avoid it till the ranger gets to it with the chainsaw. The trail itself is in good shape. ECdM creek trail is kinda soupy, and I didn't hit Sierra Moreno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.