mtbr member

Trail Closure on Mendo Coast

Due to logging activities, Sweet Pea is closed until June 1st. This is due to logging activity on Rd 640.

More trails will be closed as the month moves on. The biggest closures will be off of Rd 409 with Budweiser, Parallel Action, PBR, Topper all being closed.

Currently, EZOut is closed off of Purple Skirt, but is still open at the 2.75 mile pull out on Rd 409.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Trail Gnome
    Thanks for the info Roo

Contains no juice.

Well I just quit my job making toothpicks outta logs..."

Montrose
    At least you got a nice boat out of the deal.

DJ Trump

mtbr member
    If I'm considering a visit this weekend, given these closures, is there a recommended best starting point? My normal parking spot is end of the pavement.

mtbr member

Still good

Quote Originally Posted by b0bg View Post
    If I'm considering a visit this weekend, given these closures, is there a recommended best starting point? My normal parking spot is end of the pavement.
    You're still good to park there this weekend. Rain will keep the forestry to a minimum.

mtbr member
    Thanks Roo, I hadn't considered the rain. Still want to give it a shot, but may miss out if it's as soggy as the weatherman suggests. Either way, need to get out there. Been too long.

mtbr member

Hold off your weekend here!

Quote Originally Posted by b0bg View Post
    Thanks Roo, I hadn't considered the rain. Still want to give it a shot, but may miss out if it's as soggy as the weatherman suggests. Either way, need to get out there. Been too long.
    You might consider rescheduling your intend weekend here. Rain is predicted to be INXS of 3" in 48 hours. We have gotten .33" in the last 3 hours. So, riding Friday and Saturday will be miserable.

We have a group ride here on Sunday (Sunny?) at EOP Rd 409 at 10AM. It will be a gravel ride if you want to join. Anything before Sunday will be really messy. Got Goretex...?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Bummer Sweat Pea is closed, bad timing for us. My gf and I were planning a ride in Mendocino next week, on Tues the 24th. Given the closures listed above, can you recommend a good loop for us? Up to 20 miles, hard or easy or a mix would be welcome.

We'll be Northbound back to Squamish after a week in Santa Cruz. Heard "Sweet Pea" was fun but other options would be welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by partswhore View Post
    Bummer Sweat Pea is closed, bad timing for us. My gf and I were planning a ride in Mendocino next week, on Tues the 24th. Given the closures listed above, can you recommend a good loop for us? Up to 20 miles, hard or easy or a mix would be welcome.

We'll be Northbound back to Squamish after a week in Santa Cruz. Heard "Sweet Pea" was fun but other options would be welcome.
    Need not worry as Sweet Pea is fun, but there are a lot of more fun trails here. The Double Loop Ride (page 32 "Mountain Biking the Mendocino Coast and Beyond") is a local favorite. It is a 15.6 mile ride with 3,051' of elevation gain. Two great classic (Enduro style - 2017 CA Enduro series ride) downhills: Manly Gulch and Big tree. If you want longer rides they are in the book (Catch-A-Canoe at Stanford Inn in Mendocino has a ton. As well as Gallery Bookstore and Out of This World!)
    Be forewarned: Trails are not signed and GPS devices loose signals often (up to 20%). TrailForks.com tracks are great, but it is good to carry a back up hard copy as well. The guidebook has accurate mileage for all major intersections throughout the JDSF and State Parks

BTW: We will be going on our group ride at 10AM Tuesday and you are welcome to join us. Trailhead to be determined later due to rain accumulation. Stuff is still very wet from the last week's rain storm. Gravel grinding maybe an option. We normally ride 3 to 4 hours with an average ride of 18 to 20 miles with 2,500' of elevation gain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    Need not worry as Sweet Pea is fun, but there are a lot of more fun trails here. The Double Loop Ride (page 32 "Mountain Biking the Mendocino Coast and Beyond") is a local favorite. It is a 15.6 mile ride with 3,051' of elevation gain. Two great classic (Enduro style - 2017 CA Enduro series ride) downhills: Manly Gulch and Big tree. If you want longer rides they are in the book (Catch-A-Canoe at Stanford Inn in Mendocino has a ton. As well as Gallery Bookstore and Out of This World!)
    Be forewarned: Trails are not signed and GPS devices loose signals often (up to 20%). TrailForks.com tracks are great, but it is good to carry a back up hard copy as well. The guidebook has accurate mileage for all major intersections throughout the JDSF and State Parks

BTW: We will be going on our group ride at 10AM Tuesday and you are welcome to join us. Trailhead to be determined later due to rain accumulation. Stuff is still very wet from the last week's rain storm. Gravel grinding maybe an option. We normally ride 3 to 4 hours with an average ride of 18 to 20 miles with 2,500' of elevation gain.
    Perfect, thanks very much for the suggestions. We might be able to swing that group ride but maybe a touch early for us with the Santa Cruz departure in the AM. Thanks for the invite!