mtb'er

Good job! TR: Michigan Bluff as a loop

Thanks to those terrible websites that track where people ride their bicycles, I noticed what looked like an interesting way to hit the Western States Trail from Deadwood to Michigan Bluff, as a loop, instead of the usual out and back (from Michigan Bluff). Other than not anticipating where the snow line was, it was a pretty awesome remote, primitive adventure ride, and I look forward to going back when the snow has melted and the Forest Circus or moto clubs clear downed trees.

Our ride started at Michigan Bluff, and we took Chicken Hawk Rd. and Foresthill Rd. in a NE direction for almost 9 miles, which was a good warm-up.

The views were nice too:

We made it to Trail 5, off Foresthill Rd, but the snow on the side of the road hadn't really registered with us:

Doh! Lot's of snow patches (4,700') for a couple miles, but we pushed on:

Since these moto trails are closed right now, there hasn't been any maintenance... thus, there were no shortage of downed trees and debris from Foresthill Rd. all the way to Deadwood. No biggie.

Although Trail 5 & 6 are moto trails, they were really fun (once we got out of the snow):

We bottomed out our first descent at Indian Creek, which was as scenic of a setting as there is:

Then came about 40 minutes of hike-a-bike (10%) and climbing (90%) out of the canyon... not so bad, even with these odd anti-erosion features:

We noticed an old dirt bike down the hill... it was missing a few parts:

I really enjoyed the moto trails... some stuff was super buffed but a lot of it was rough and rowdy:

Token shot of Devil's Thumb... which I hadn't seen in 2 Tahoe-Sierra 100's or other times out that way:

Trail 6 from Devil's Thumb to the Western States Trail was completely awesome. Lot's of leaves covering the trail (felt like Fall) and some good chunky stuff:

Popping out on this viewpoint was nice:

We finally connected to the WST, and the descent to Michigan Bar was as great as ever... one of the best descents in NorCal:

Climbing up to Michigan Bluff brings back memories of TS-100 hike-a-bike fun, but I was far less toasted at this point:

About 26 miles and almost 6 hours later, we emerged and were pretty stoked on the route we did

I wrapped this St. Patrick's Day with a dog walk and a nice Guinness

Last edited by Empty_Beer; 03-17-2013 at 11:07 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Welcome to the club! Glad you took the time to explore a bit. Much better to head that way after the moto's get in and clear the trees out, though you probably know that now
    Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/

Dropshot Champ!
    jealous over here, nice ride!

Sweater

TR: Michigan Bluff as a loop

Very nice. I'd love to hit Deadwood again. Preferably before I feel like death is the best option.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice! I have been wondering the conditions out there. Another sweet way to do that ride is stay codfish trail (loop 6) to deadwood. You still have a ride/push to deadwood. Codfish is a super sick rowdy trail!

weekend worrier
    Awesome ride, Jeff! Thanks for leading the way and taking photos!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    nice work!

NedwannaB
    Great TR Empty!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by NateArnold View Post
    Nice! I have been wondering the conditions out there. Another sweet way to do that ride is stay codfish trail (loop 6) to deadwood. You still have a ride/push to deadwood. Codfish is a super sick rowdy trail!
    This looks like a pretty burly way to hit all that stuff: Bike Ride Profile | 26miles near Foresthill | Times and Records | Strava.

Any good loops MTB on the other side of Foresthill Rd? Or does that side get pretty busy & chopped up once the snow melts? http://boulter.com/geocaching/maps/m...esthillOHV.jpg

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Awesome TR, thanks for sharing. I'm surprised there isn't MORE snow on the ground up there.

Any good loops MTB on the other side of Foresthill Rd? Or does that side get pretty busy & chopped up once the snow melts
    I've ridden almost all of Foresthill on a dirt bike, and IMHO stuff on the other side of the road is not nearly as fun. Don't think it would be that different on a mtb. Once it gets fully dry the dirt gets powdery.

But Trail 5 is great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    This looks like a pretty burly way to hit all that stuff: Bike Ride Profile | 26miles near Foresthill | Times and Records | Strava.

Any good loops MTB on the other side of Foresthill Rd? Or does that side get pretty busy & chopped up once the snow melts? http://boulter.com/geocaching/maps/m...esthillOHV.jpg
    That was a buddy of mine's strava track. I was supposed to on that ride up ended sick that day. They said they wouldn't recommend that route ever again. If i would have been there we wouldn't have run the south side of loop 6 up from the intersection of the WS but instead taken the rode up from deadwood and then connect over to codfish. They said the south side of 6 was pretty much a push to the devils thumb. What I meant in the earlier post was dropping in from china wall and running the north side of loop 6 (codfish) and connecting to the WS is super fun. Not sure about the stuff near sugar pine but i have heard there is some fun to be had if you know which trails to pick.

mtbr member
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Empty_Beer again."

Awesome report!