mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Top 5 Santa Cruz rides? (descent-focused)

My brother's coming to town. He's a really skilled DH racer living in Salt Lake City. He wants to ride Santa Cruz dirt for the first time. What are your top 5 recommendations, and feel free to PM me if any material too sensitive for general viewing...

I'll be on a Blur LT (140mm), I don't have a DH bike.

mtbr member
    Braille and some other stuff.

aka baycat
    Riding at Soquel Demonstration Forest you can ride a couple great descents. Braille, Ridge, Sawpit, Tractor, Corral. Opinons vary on which ones are best, but you can hit them all in one ride.

Medium?
    Boyscout and The Crack at Montara Mountain.

A bunch of stuff at Henry Coe, but you've got to pay for all of it. Leave the big bikes at home. Middle Ridge and Domino Pond-Cattle Duster-Grapevine are my favorites.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Boyscout and The Crack at Montara Mountain.

A bunch of stuff at Henry Coe, but you've got to pay for all of it. Leave the big bikes at home. Middle Ridge and Domino Pond-Cattle Duster-Grapevine are my favorites.
    ummm...I think he said Santa Cruz.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Last one to town buys the beer ride. Santa Rosalia to Aptos via headlamp.

Yeehaw
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Crack and boyscout along with Mile in Pacifica for sure. I am very sure he will like it although is not very "Santa Cruz".

I like Braille and Corral at Demo, but if you bro is a skilled downhiller, these two trails might be way too short compared to the climbing you need to do to get there and get back to the car.

Also, there is that university in the area you mentioned. check you PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Excellent. Thanks for the recs.

Yeah, definitely not wanting to climb too much, but realize it's a necessary evil. Demo seems perfect for a full day of ups and downs. Thinking of that College too, but just don't know my way around there too much. And while HE is a DH'er, I am a on a mere 140 mills of travel, so have to take that into consideration...

I just wanna go fast...
    I rode my 140mm prophet on crack, mile and boyscout. It wasn't too bad, but I definitely had a hard time keeping up with some people on longer legged bikes. Certain colleges also don't really require more than a 5" bike either. I'd even go so far as to say the blur LT is just about the perfect bike over there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Ridge and Sawpit at Demo. If he's a decent DHer than the stunts on Braille won't push him at all: better to go for long and fast IMHO. AT least do Ridge and Sawpit first, when you get back to the start, if you have the legs you can go back up to do Braille etc.

The Crack, Mile and Boyscout should be visited too.

mtbr member
    Bring the big bikes and head out to demo. Push up sulphur springs, and ride down sawpit, then push your bike back to the parking lot.