Air Pirate

Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    We need a picture thread "best Tom-Cat" pictures, videos and experiences.
    Thread made by the suggestion of iheartbicycles. Thanks man!

The NorCal board has generated a new term for going Over-The-Bars by locking your front brake...Tomcatting.....from this thread: MTBR NorCal - Just-witnessed-situation-where-front-brakes-were-too-powerfull

Post your OTB experiences here! I will go first:

Had a failure of a rear disc brake adapter that caused movement of the rear caliper...locked up rotor...wheel....skid...almost pulled off a slideout until I slid into an erosion gully...instant high-side...so not really a Tomcat style front-brake lockup OTB, but at least it got the thread started.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Crazed Country Rebel
    This is a shot of my buddy right after he TomCatted at Northstsr

Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'll have first person video as soon as my friend uploads the videos of our trip two days ago. He was already stopping with the front brake, hit a bump, and tomcatted instantly. I guess the bump/rock made him squeeze the lever harder by accident and it meant instant tomcat. I still haven't seen the video but it has to be pretty funny.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
    I'll have first person video as soon as my friend uploads the videos of our trip two days ago. He was already stopping with the front brake, hit a bump, and tomcatted instantly. I guess the bump/rock made him squeeze the lever harder by accident and it meant instant tomcat. I still haven't seen the video but it has to be pretty funny.
    My wife still has a scar on her back from when a guy tom-catted at sea otter and landed on top of her.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWzzxnWLazg

Descending a narrow, rutted trail. Braking steadily to keep speed in check. Had to cross the rut and thought I could just roll it. Nope. It chocked the front wheel and stopped the bike. OTB I went, bounced off my head and shoulder, and flipped right into a trailside ditch where I landed on my feet.

Thought I was 100% OK at the time, but the next day realized I'd nearly separated my shoulder. Had to go easy on it for a couple of months while it healed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My wife still has a scar on her back from when a guy tom-catted at sea otter and landed on top of her.
    Ouch.

I had a friend that would tomcat on demand because he thought it was funny. Tough SOB and so desperate to make friends all we would have to do is tell him to tomcat and he would do it on asphalt, dirt, whatever he was on at the time. I actually felt sorry for him and didn't have the heart to tell him to do it anymore after the 10th or so tomcat.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

huck to flat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Had a failure of a rear disc brake adapter that caused movement of the rear caliper...locked up rotor...wheel....skid...almost pulled off a slideout until I slid into an erosion gully
    looks more like you lost control after hitting the erosion on the road. when in doubt lean back and pull up! that looked like a rough crash.

I'm going to use this new "Tomcat" term all the time now!

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    looks more like you lost control after hitting the erosion on the road. when in doubt lean back and pull up! that looked like a rough crash.
    Was on a full suspension GT LTS-1 that handled the ruts just fine. I was using an A2Z DM-UNI brake adapter that was meant to give disc capability to non-disc frames, and a nice little group of failures of the adapter, bolt, and frame conspired to let everything move at an angle just a few millimeters...enough to lock the rotor in the caliper. It looks like the ruts are giving me hell...the rear of the bike was actually swinging around to the right of my point of view but the front wheel hit slightly sideways to the rut..the front suspension was compressed at this point and the wheel stopped, which resulted in the highside. Once going OTB I threw myself into a roll...tumbled on that crush rock surface quite a ways. Nasty skin loss and interior soft tissue damage. The camera was attached to my Camelbak shoulder strap with a Sony pack-strap mount, so all you see is the POV from just above the bars....too bad I didn't have something showing the rear view of the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nicholi Rogatkin at the Red Bull Rampage:

Red Bull Rampage: Watch an inspiring moment | Red Bull

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm still calling these endos.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    A Tom-Cat is a specific subset of the Endo, caused by mtn bike manufacturers installing brakes that are too powerful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    A Tom-Cat is a specific subset of the Endo, caused by mtn bike manufacturers installing brakes that are too powerful.
    I remember being able to endo in the rim brake era.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I remember being able to endo in the rim brake era.
    Yah, but that was rider error.

Tomcatting is all the manufacturers fault.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

fc
    stoked Administrator

Now that's good.
    IPA will save America

Don't Tread on Me
    Agreed. I have many videos of Endos but, sadly, none of them are Tom-Cats. I have personally performed a few Tom-Cats, but they were in the time when I was transitioning from Moto to MTB. (Instinct to grab the clutch lever when in trouble)
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

Sweater

So Tomcatting could really just be the name for modern society
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

Crazed Country Rebel
    TomCat!!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Now that's good.
    My greatest moments of enlightenment are trail side after a good climb.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    TomCat!!

That looks more like a poorly landed jump. I've done that on a BMX bike with no front brake - who do I blame for that one?

Crazed Country Rebel
    That looks more like a poorly landed jump. I've done that on a BMX bike with no front brake - who do I blame for that one?
    Obviously RockShox set the rebound too fast on his rear shock!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    Tomcatting is nugatory.

(MTBR Latin)
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

mtbr member
    Friends came across a lady who just Tom-catted in her car in the Santa Cruz mtns the other day.
    Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-screen-shot-2015-10-19-6.08.26-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Friends came across a lady who just Tom-catted in her car in the Santa Cruz mtns the other day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 6.08.26 PM.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	1023228
    I guess she went up the embankment and rolled over? Or she had some powerful front brakes.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    I guess she went up the embankment and rolled over? Or she had some powerful front brakes.
    That's what the infamous "runaway" Prius driver claimed would happen if he put it in neutral or hit his e-brake. He thought he would Tomcat his Prius. lol

mtbr member
    I've only had one endo in my life. Every other time I went OTB it was a Tomcat. Faulty front brakes, Poorly designed forks, negligently maintained trails, and fluctuations in the gravitational field were the primary causes of the rest of my horrific crashes.
    I never said most of the things I said - Yogi Berra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjus View Post
    Nicholi Rogatkin at the Red Bull Rampage:

Red Bull Rampage: Watch an inspiring moment | Red Bull
    First of all, I am in no way taking away from the fact that this guy is a bad-ass and pretty damn tough, but I think it was irresponsible to waive him on to go hit a huge gap jump after very likely being concussed. Especially with the adrenaline still flowing. I think we've all had bad crashes where we just jumped back on the bike before even taking real inventory of the damage. Just my opinion.

Anyway, here's a third party assisted TomCat...

mtbr member
    So, eh.. why is it called a tomcat?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    So, eh.. why is it called a tomcat?
    You'll have to click on the link in the first post of this thread. It was another MTBR thread.

mtbr member

Here's a little vid of my buddy just barely escaping a Tomcat. Camera angle was crap, but glad I captured this shot. Also, RIP Boggs!
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-c4v8n.jpg

Every trails a flow trail ifya would just learn how to ride-stop dumbing down the planet

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Most have read about the one I pulled in Lafayette showing off. That's the "Best One" hands down.

Somewhere around there's an action shot that caused this bit.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    TomCat!!

F*ck that section of the Sea Otter track! So many went down right there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JT79 View Post
    You'll have to click on the link in the first post of this thread. It was another MTBR thread.
    You can't just tell me?

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    You can't just tell me?
    You need to read the other entertaining thread for proper understanding. Here's the quick take:

Tomcat started a thread complaining that certain brakes were too powerful, making it easy for riders to endo into him.

Many others respond that brakes should be powerful, but the rider needs to use them properly. (light touch)

"Tomcat" has now become a noun and verb that describes someone who grabs the front brake too hard, causing an endo. Best usage is when someone "tomcats" into Tomcat himself.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    ..Tomcat started a thread complaining that certain brakes were too powerful, making it easy for riders to endo into him.
    Tommy the Cat told a Story you say?

Don't Tread on Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post

Here's a little vid of my buddy just barely escaping a Tomcat. Camera angle was crap, but glad I captured this shot. Also, RIP Boggs!
    Escape a Tom-Cat my a$$, that was a full Tom-Cat if I've ever seen one. He must be very proud of those "too powerful" brakes. Kudos to your buddy escaping injury though.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What percentage of Tomcats lead to Scorpions?

Lightly salted
    Texting while driving most likely!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    Tomcat started a thread complaining that certain brakes were too powerful, making it easy for riders to endo into him.

Many others respond that brakes should be powerful, but the rider needs to use them properly. (light touch)
    Ah yes, I read that thread. Cool. Wonder if he's pleased?

Maybe I could get a fail named after moi? I'm good at those ;0)

mtbr dismember

Nice recovery

MTBCanuck on the Kingsbury section of the Tahoe Rim Trail. He actually recovered.

Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-img_2909-2-x2.jpg

mtbr member
    My 2 best tomcat stories:

1) Several years ago at Mammoth. It was my first time back on the DH bike after breaking my collarbone at Whistler, in fact I was wearing a fanny pack because the strap from a regular pack hurt my collarbone too much. Looking at Enduro(tm) these days, I guess I was just ahead of the times. But I digress. Anyway, I was riding down Bullit, when all of the sudden I heard this horrendous racket coming from the front wheel. I had just enough time to say "what the..." before the front wheel locked up completely and tomcatted my ass. Turns out, somehow the front brake caliper bolts had actually worked themselves loose. So the initial noise was the rotor digging a grove into the caliper itself until it finally wedged itself into place. I managed to come out unscathed, and even more amazingly I managed to find all the random bolts and washers that fell off. Bolted it back up and worked fine for another few years. Though the caliper did have this massive groove in it from where the rotor wore through it!

2) Recently picked up a set of new Saint brakes. After shortening the hose to the front brake line, I was having some problems where the brake would be fine, and then suddenly it would have basically zero power (side note, there's a big thread on Ridemonkey which while not specific to Saint brakes, is at least in large part inspired by issues people were having with inconsistent bite point with Saints; in my case, I think the issue was just a bad bleed). At the time, I thought the pads maybe had something on them, so I squirted some water on them and then did a series of hard stops to burn it off. On the last grab, that brake engaged with the full Saint force and tomcatted me into the street. Of course, I was doing this on the road right in front of the bike shop not even wearing a helmet...

mtbr member
    Not really sure what happened 'cause I was sleepy and hungry after work but wanted to get a ride in. Endo'd at the bottom of the rooty section of Enchanted. I probably could have bailed if I wasn't clipped in so I went back to flats after that.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    We used to jam our foot behind the fork and endo that way (bmx daze).
    So I guess since my foot is not a too-powerful disk brake, we never Tomcatted.

"Feral Possum-ed" perhaps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    MTBCanuck on the Kingsbury section of the Tahoe Rim Trail. He actually recovered.

Name:	IMG_2909 (2)-X2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	1024656
    Do you mean he landed it, or do you mean a long hospital stay and rehab?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Or a rider who can't handle the rig they have...........just sayin
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Or a rider who can't handle the rig they have...........just sayin
    (That's the joke)
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Obviously RockShox set the rebound too fast on his rear shock!
    Agreed,
    We have to continue to blame others for our poor riding skill. Bike mfg have been doing this long enough. So, they should be able to create a bike that a n00b can jump on and do knarrly stuff at NorthStar and even compete at near pro level their first year

I hope all see that as sarcasm

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    What percentage of Tomcats lead to Scorpions?
    Cool
    a great ride, great crash, then a show with a great band.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    (That's the joke)
    Oh, my sarcasm meter is being weird today

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator

Photo credit: ibikergal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Falling off a skinny is not a tomcat. Running into a ditch is not a tomcat. Heck, I think it's a stupid name but at least I understand it!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yes, but when you take the log of the Tomcat...
    p(Tomcat) = previous pic

fc
    stoked Administrator
    You can tomcat really hard such that your feet touch your head. That's called scorpioning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-p4pb4638636.jpg  

Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-s1600_10523122_885637698117613_552263720_n.jpg  

IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Thread resurrection! Let's update this legendary thread with new tomcats.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    This is an extremely rare roadie scorpion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-roadiefail.jpg  

IPA will save America

Crazed Country Rebel

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Air Pirate
    Love this picture series...in the middle one it appears the rider is looking right at his errant front wheel. Probably had just enough time to acknowledge what was happening and start stating "OH S_" before picture three takes place. Didn't even have a chance to say the "_HIT!" part.

The "OSH" moment, that is what you call it. Probably a common thing when Tomcatting.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Mtbr user Grraah. Full TomCat

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Haven't seen this sort of pic posted yet. Frontal C4-5 and C5-6 Posterior.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-img_4195.jpg  

fc
    stoked Administrator
    This is

scorpioning
    Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-photomom-shot1.jpg

mudcatting
    Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 378
Size:  10.2 KB

cactuscatting
    Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-s.jpg

fatbikecatting

Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-mtb_over_the_bar_crash.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    Most have read about the one I pulled in Lafayette showing off. That's the "Best One" hands down.

Somewhere around there's an action shot that caused this bit.
    I want to buy one of Obi's anti-TomCat devices.
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Zignzag View Post
    I want to buy one of Obi's anti-TomCat devices.
    What can I say, when I finally wreck it's a wreck for sure?

Here's a pic of the other side of that finger where I now have a really nice "X" to mark the spot where the permanent (pricey as hell!) ti-pin went in. I'm now considerably backing off on the risk-taking. Getting hurt, hurts. Maybe it's finally time for gears and dual suspension? The neck bit's no joke, I got tailgated within the last 5 months and it was heavy on my mind. All it could take is one wrong incident and I lose use of things. Neck clicks now, not looking forward to followup MRI's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-img_4302.jpg  

Last edited by Obi; 09-16-2016 at 08:53 PM.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Even the World's Best occasionally TomCat.

A recent OTB from the EWC.

Video Frame Credit goes to RedBull's YouTube Channel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I shouldn't have read this thread, because it happened to me last night at El Granada. I wasn't going particularly fast, but pumped the backside of a water bar, right into some loose sand which stopped my front wheel dead... instant super man. Made contact with my knee first then hands and elbow, followed by my bike bouncing off the back of my head. I hit hard enough to tear a hole through the palm of my brand new gloves (luckily 2nd layer of reinforced palm held), and yank down my Leatt Airflex Pro knee guards, giving me a nasty splitter on my knee.

3 stitches this morning:
    Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-img_20160922_093520.jpg

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Damn, I guess that would be called a sandcat.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Prime time season is approaching. Time to brush up on your tomcat skills.
    IPA will save America

How did I miss this thread???

I have a bunch from my time on the pre-production ACV. lol

Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-992016105630.jpg

*language warning*

Pedal strike #2 aftermath

Flew about 10' then off the trail into the bushes
    Tomcatting - share your best OTB pics, videos, and stories here!-10620161850.jpg

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Prime time season is approaching. Time to brush up on your tomcat skills.
    Is it 100 posts for socks? Still hoping I get socks....................

Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Is it 100 posts for socks? Still hoping I get socks....................
    I don't even have socks.

But my post is getting you closer.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    How did I miss this thread???

I have a bunch from my time on the pre-production ACV. lol

Name:	992016105630.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	1124375
    Dude, is that you? That's hilarious...glad you got it on camera