Thread: Toads?

mtbr member

Toads?

Hey odds makers and Tahoe ride masters and mistresses....

Anyone think the semi-high country will be ridable by Sunday? some snow, wet and cold toes expected. I'm thinkin maybe, then again i'm an optimist

Looks like 5-6 inches towards the top of Toad's? with 60+ temps coming up Thu, Fri and Sat...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fat.tires
    Hey odds makers and Tahoe ride masters and mistresses....

Anyone think the semi-high country will be ridable by Sunday? some snow, wet and cold toes expected. I'm thinkin maybe, then again i'm an optimist

Looks like 5-6 inches towards the top of Toad's? with 60+ temps coming up Thu, Fri and Sat...
    Both Northstar and Heavenly have web cams. There's some snow on Pluto (8600ft) right now but I bet it's gone by the weekend.
    Romani ite domum

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    I'm thinking yes. If not, there's always Armstrong Connector and Corral which are pretty fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Any thoughts on if Toad's will be good to go by friday?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redfox14
    Any thoughts on if Toad's will be good to go by friday?
    I bet it's clear by friday or at least easily ridable. Toads is on the north facing slope of a canyon though so there may be some snow left...just ride it.

mtbr member
    We're riding the TRT from Tahoe Meadows down to the lake tomorrow. Talked to the folks at Spooner Lake bike shop and an employee at Mt. Rose who drives over there from Incline Village this morning. Both estimated about 2 inches of snow at 8800 ft. Neither seemed to think that riding through that much snow should be a problem. Bringing a fender to keep my mug clean. The decomposed granite sand should be set up just right!

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    Just took a look at the Heavenly and Sierra at Tahoes' web cam and the snow is melting quite nicely. I think Toads is a go for friday and a definite for Sunday. I might give it a shot early Saturday morning.

mtbr member
    Got a report from yesterday riding the Armstrong connector up to 8300 ft (about 250 ft below armstrong pass). Quite a bit of snow above 8100 ft on the trail, I'd expect the same for the North facing side of Toads also.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Numb toes just thinking about it but know there's some tacky goodness beneath. Come on sunshine!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Report from yesterday- about 4 inches of snow about 8300 ft up Armstrong. connector is prime (expect lots of traffic this weekend). Still about 4-6 inches on north facing aspects about 8500ft. I would bet Toads could be rideable by sat and sunday with the warm temps today and tomorrow as long as you don't mind riding through some snow for the first 400ft or so during the descent

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    Sounds like I will just ride up Fountain Place Rd and take the Connector and Corral down early Saturday morning 6:30- 6:45 if anyone else wants to join me. I will be starting from Meyers.

mtbr member
    Rode today from Al Tahoe to High Meadows and down Cold Cr trail. Such a fun decent and conditions are pretty nice. a few fresh rain ruts but overall really fast and tacky! Looked like the snow was just above the Meadows on the North faces.

Anyone hitting Toad's tomorrow or other fun stuff? I am easily influanced

mtbr member
    Hopefully some of you guy's hit Toads this weekend. Had a hard time motivating on Sunday but a call from my neighbor saying his wife was up for shuttling us up Luther pass was enough to get me off my ass.

Hit both Scotts Lake Trail and Toads, lower Toads was so incredibly fast I'm still pumped. Upper Scotts lake was a winner also zipping through the tight Aspens glowing yellow, hell yea!
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Hopefully some of you guy's hit Toads this weekend. Had a hard time motivating on Sunday but a call from my neighbor saying his wife was up for shuttling us up Luther pass was enough to get me off my ass.

Hit both Scotts Lake Trail and Toads, lower Toads was so incredibly fast I'm still pumped. Upper Scotts lake was a winner also zipping through the tight Aspens glowing yellow, hell yea!
    I didn't ride Toads but I did ride from my house in Meyers up Fountain Place Rd to top of the Armstrong Connector ( 6 1/2 miles). Then down the connector and down Corral. Had an awesome time early saturday morning. Wasn't really planning on riding sunday too but somehow I was able to drag myself out of bed at 6:45 AM. I wanted to ride Toads but the thought of riding 6 miles on the road just to get to the dirt and another 4 miles from there to top of Toads by myself in the cold wasn't sounding too good. So I rode up Fountain Place and did the connector and corral again. Super fun and fast. Sunday morning was much warmer than the numbing chill of saturday morning.

I wish you had called me after getting that call from your neighbor. It would of been hard to pass up a shuttle ride up to Luther.

mtbr member
    Ended up with a minor sore throat on Sunday a.m. and decided to not nut up for the elevator ascent de Armstrong.

Went for plan B - took kids on a hike and raked pine needles. Stay healthy and rack up bonus points for next Sunday's Polka Dots MC - 49er Enduro http://www.polkadotsmc.com/