Brake. Fix. Repeat.
    May 2009

Tires for Pacifica

My Ardents are great for Tam, but they're coming up a little short for Pacifica. I need a good UST tire for the mud/clay trails (like xxx and boy scout) that will dig in. Maxxis Wetscreams look great, but I don't want to be "that guy who destroys trails".

So, suggestions? Looking for ~2.5 fronts and 2.25 rear

mtbr member
    Maxxis highrollers work great, or there's always Minions....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by highrevkev View Post
    Maxxis highrollers work great, or there's always Minions....
    If you put them together, it's a great combo. Minion in the front and high roller in the back.

mtbr member
    I live in Pacifica and ride here pretty much every week. What don't you like about the Ardents?

The Minion / Highroller is an amazing combo out here. I run that exact combo and while it's a bit heavy, they last, provide great grip and I don't have to worry about them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm on the Montara side and have Highroller front/back and that works well for me. Will have to try Minion on the front though, thanks for suggestion!

Brake. Fix. Repeat.
    May 2009
    I love them, glorious loose condition tire, but the mud on XXX was packing into the tread pretty heavily, especially on the smaller rear with shallower tread.

And the size issue. They only come in 2.25 tubeless and I'd like to run something larger on the front. I was running a 2.25 Ardent rear, tubeless conversion, but it keeps blowing off the rim. I know the UST wire bead 2.25 will fix this which is great for the rear, but I'm worried I'm going to loose the 2.4 front bead one of these days.

I'll take another look at the Minion/Highroller combo they seem to be well-loved as a dedicated DH tire.

Absurd
    I'd try a Minion DHF for the front and h Highroller II for the rear. Great all around combo for the days you want to do crack and mile too.