Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010

Tires for Mammoth Lakes

Heading up to Mammoth for the High Sierra Fall Road Ride and am going to stay for an additional 5-days to mtb. I like to go up hill as much as down so I will ride the lower 2/3's of the mountain with a ride only pass as well as some off mountain trails.

Last year I ran a Racing Ralph front tire and it was a bit sketchy in the loose stuff. I have been thinking of switching to a different front tire. Maybe a 29 x 2.35 Racing Ralph or Nobby Nic or Conti? or ????

What do you recommend?

rider
    Jan 2005
    For the pumice in that area you need big aggressive knobs and plenty of floatation. So I'm going to suggest the Maxxis Minion DHF 29 x 2.5 in the front and rear also if it will clear. If you have clearance issues in the back a 29 x 2.35 Panaracer Rampage (mounted in the front direction) will work well for pedaling the mountain. A Hans Dampf 2.35 should work well there in the back also and has tougher sidewalls, but is it big enough that you may have clearance issues as it is bigger than the Rampage.

For your choices in the DHF 29er:

Sorting out the Minion DHF 29x2.5 versions
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    What 29erchico said: floatation floatation floatation.

The Maxxis Minion runs a little under size too, in my experience. So don't let the 2.5 scare you off.

I've run a 2.35 Kenda Nevegal on the rear at Mammoth and it did fine.

Take the lift (or grind up Kamikaze) and ride Off The Top at least once, the view is worth it!

rider
    Jan 2005
    If you are thinking of the 26er Minion 2.5, for sure they run small. My buddy's Minion 26 x 2.5 are skinnier than my Hans Dampf 2.35 29erm tires

But the Minion 29 x 2.5 is about 64-65mm wide, depending on the rim. That is actually a tad over sized as 2.5" is 63.5mm. Big honkin' meats they be...

Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    What 29erchico said: floatation floatation floatation.

The Maxxis Minion runs a little under size too, in my experience. So don't let the 2.5 scare you off.

I've run a 2.35 Kenda Nevegal on the rear at Mammoth and it did fine.

Take the lift (or grind up Kamikaze) and ride Off The Top at least once, the view is worth it!

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    I think the Minion is far more aggressive than i need. I like to go uphill and fast more than bombing the DH. The Ralphs 2.2, i think, had more than enough traction for the climbs but lacked a bit in the faster turns. I was thinking of going wider and maybe a bit more aggressive on the front.

And i do intend on going to the top at least once, but i want to ride up.

mtbr member

Tires for Mammoth Lakes

2.4 Ardent

rider
    Jan 2005
    Fair enough. In that case you may want to consider the Chunky Monkey 29 x 2.4 from One One/Titus Cycles up front. It is built on the same Exo casing as the Maxxis Ardent but with bigger knobs & better supported side knobs. Not nearly as burley as the 2.5 Minion but way better suited tread pattern for riding Mammoth than the Ardent 29 x 2.4. I have run the Ardent 2.4 29er tire a bunch up front and I would rather have the old school Rampage 29 x 2.35 up front than the Ardent at Mammoth. The CM is a great deal also.

Link for the CM:

on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOCM29X24/on_one_chunky_monkey_29x24_tyre

Quote Originally Posted by bushido5 View Post
    I think the Minion is far more aggressive than i need. I like to go uphill and fast more than bombing the DH. The Ralphs 2.2, i think, had more than enough traction for the climbs but lacked a bit in the faster turns. I was thinking of going wider and maybe a bit more aggressive on the front.

And i do intend on going to the top at least once, but i want to ride up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I just got back from Mammoth. If you are just pedaling trails, any 2.35 foldable will be fine, Hans Dampf, Butcher Control.. I rode a Purgatory Control 2.35 on one demo. Drop any run off the gondola and you'll be glad you are riding a minion, I got to test one of those on my 951 Evo Demo. Hands down best tire to ride DH in Mammoth. I rode a demo 275 tracer from mid mountain to red's lake on vee rubber tires, and they worked pretty well too.
    Word to the wise, any trail that serves as a route for the bike park is basically destroyed right now. Some of the chunder was deeper than 6" on Shotgun. Paper Route/Uptown/Downtown were all rolling pretty good.
    Holy crap how I'd love just one run on Twilight right now... mmmmmm.. how can 10,000 pavers ever be put to better use than mountain bike parks...?

Sucks not having a bike!! Effing bike thieves.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    For lower 2/3 Nobby Nicks (out of your list) or Conti M Kings. For everything else Conti Trail Kings 2.4 or other meaty nobby tire.
    Gravity Dropper - simply kicks @$$
    Casco Viper MX - trully jaw dropping experience.