mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Tire help for Auburn, Salmon Falls, Folsom! Wolverine vs WeirWolf?

My Wolverine 2.2 TCS (tubeless) tires are getting pretty tired and I'm debating with what to get next.

I frequent Auburn, Folsom, & Salmon Falls the most. I ride a Blur TRc, more on the aggressive side (DH background). My Wolverine's have served me well but my LBS recommended I try WeirWolfs. I'm not opposed, but wanted to see what some fellow locals had to say (and hopefully some of you have run both & can give me a firsthand opinion!)

Iím maybe open to other brands if they rock on my 3 favorite trails/areas...gotta be tubeless though

Thanks!

mtbr member
    What wheels are you running? I really liked the 2.5 Weirwolf LT on the front of my Anthem 29er (felt way more planted and grippy than the Bronson I was running), but the TCS stuff doesn't seem to play well with Stans rims.

My new favorite front for my trail bike is the Schwalbe Nobby Nic, but the larger 2.35 doesn't come with the Snakeskin casing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm running 26" DT Swiss XR400s w/Stans kit. So far Stans has worked well w/my Wolverine's (but I did have the shop install since I suck at making sure tubeless are 100%).

I did spot the Bronson's on the WTB website, good to know the Weirwolfs felt better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I ride live/ride in Auburn and like running a Weirwolf 2.3 am/tcs up front. It hooks up much better than the Bronson in the front. Running a Wolvervine in the rear, but man they wear out fast. I will be putting a Bronson on once the Wolverine wears out. I am waiting for the new Vigilantes to come out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Running Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.3s with the Snakeskin casing tubeless on my 575. TrailStar compound front and PaceStar rear. Really stoked with them after a couple of runs at Downieville and riding around Diablo. Haven't ridden them at Auburn yet, but know the area well and I'm sure they'd be great. Pretty tough and wide for the weight.

eBiker
    I love the Wolverines for the valley trails, except when I lean them over hard in mid-summer dust-over-hard conditions when they have a tendency to step out.

I ran a Weirwolf TCS on the rear for 1-2 rides in Auburn and hated it. Heavy, pondering, and crazy vague. I thought those side knobs would hook up, but it just seemed to live in the vagueness of the transition zone - and I consider myself a deep leaner (tip the bike in for turns).

I'm currently running a Hans Dampf Pacestar front, and it's a great all-arounder: spring, summer, fall; valley hardpack to Tahoe sand to Downieville speed & rocks. That said, being an all-arounder, it will drift a bit earlier than some on hardpack, but nothing crazy. I'll take the trade-off. A keeper for me.

I run a Wolverine on the rear. (Specialized Enduro, Flow rims)

P

Dropshot Champ!
    Its hard to replace the volume of the wolverine...it's so damn plush and huge, it really takes away alot of the rocks under you in auburn. The tcs version is also like 900g though, which you feel on the climbs.

Wouldn't replace it with a weirwolf for the reasons above. Also wouldn't replace it with a bronson, they chunk out in the rear after just a few rides. Would replace with a purgatory or a nobby nic. Maybe a bigger ground control.

I haven't ridden a hans dampf but everyone I know that is on them, loves em.

mtbr member
    I have been running a wolverine 2.2 up front and a Mutano on the rear. I recently had to replace the mutano and as suggested by Folsom Bike I moved the wolverine to the rear and got a new mutano 2.4 up front and so far I am really liking it. I have been on most of the local trails as well as a Downieville trip and the combo is solid. I never really liked the wolverine up front but do like it in the back. The mutano 2.4 has similar volume (more like a 2.2) as the wolverine. I have heard good things about the Nobby nics and hans dampf but the price is a bit much for how I have heard they wear.

I keep coming back to WTB over other brands. Being that they are kind of local I feel they make the best treads for the trails that we ride on.

All my tires are the NON-tcs race version on stan's rims. I have had an easy time getting them set up on stans rims as well as roval rims.

Sweater

Tire help for Auburn, Salmon Falls, Folsom! Wolverine vs WeirWolf?

I really like the Mutano 2.4/wolverine 2.2 combo also, it worked really well for everything I've ridden. I'm not really a racer so I don't fret weight on my tires too much, traction and reliability are a higher priority.
    My current combo is an OEM Hans Dampf/WTB Moto. I really like this combo too. For me the Hans Dampf really came to life tubeless, it wasn't great with tubes up front and abysmal with tubes on the rear.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for all the input everybody. I like the idea of keeping a Wolverine in the rear and trying out something new in the front. Iíve got just enough meat left on the Wolverines to make it happen as a test pilot.
    I ran Front & Rear Mutano way back when on my Nomad & liked it. Iíve never ran Hans Dampf before. Iíll have to make a trip to the LBS here soon & see what they got.

mtbr member
    I very much like the Wolverine in the rear, especially this time of year. Since you are running 26, you should be able to find the Weirwolf LT front. LT is low tread, and seems WAY better than the new Weirwolf. The new Weirwolf is sketch except maybe in mud.

You can run it tubeless, pretty easy. It is a GREAT tire for marbly stuff.

If you have trouble finding that tire, I think Tour of Nevada City and City Bike in Sac have them kicking around.

weekend worrier

Not a fan of Weirwolf 2.3 UST!

I haven't tried the Wolverine TCS, but I have tried and did not like the Weirwolf 2.3 USTs. They were fine when parallel to the ground, but were very squirmy and would break loose at moderate lean angles.

I'm currently running the Hans Dampf 2.35 TCS Snakeskin Trailstars front and rear and am happy with them. I'm not sure if they are any better than the Nevegal 2.35 SCTs at half the price though. In fact, I think the Nevegals are grippier. I've also heard very good things about the Bontrager XR4s, but they are pricey as well.