Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dude with orange car

Tips on mounting Gravity Dropper lever on slightly oversized bars?

Anyone have tips on how I can mount a remote handlebar lever for a Gravity Dropper post on slightly oversized handlebar diameter?

I sold my AM bike due to disuse a couple months ago. Now I have a currently unused Gravity Dropper sitting around and I want to put it on my CX-type bike, a Salsa Vaya. Almost all my riding these days is on the CX-type bike, and I'd have a bit more fun on some trails in JMP if the Gravity Dropper post were on the bike. The spot on the Salsa Bell Lap bars I want to mount the lever is slightly larger in diameter than where I normally mount it on a mtb handlebar. The stock hardware for the lever mount doesn't work.

Before anyone suggests it: no, I will not leave off the GD and just get more skills. I've made it into my 40s without skills and I sure as **** ain't going to start getting them now. I want mechanical cheater devices!
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    are you being lazy and trying to mount it over your corked out bar fat?
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Plim View Post
    Anyone have tips on how I can mount a remote handlebar lever for a Gravity Dropper post on slightly oversized handlebar diameter?

I sold my AM bike due to disuse a couple months ago. Now I have a currently unused Gravity Dropper sitting around and I want to put it on my CX-type bike, a Salsa Vaya. Almost all my riding these days is on the CX-type bike, and I'd have a bit more fun on some trails in JMP if the Gravity Dropper post were on the bike. The spot on the Salsa Bell Lap bars I want to mount the lever is slightly larger in diameter than where I normally mount it on a mtb handlebar. The stock hardware for the lever mount doesn't work.

Before anyone suggests it: no, I will not leave off the GD and just get more skills. I've made it into my 40s without skills and I sure as **** ain't going to start getting them now. I want mechanical cheater devices!
    are the bars metal or carbon? If you're not worried about scratching the bars - give them a wrap with electric tape or cloth tape and just make it work. Use longer bolts if needed. Be gentle with the plastic clamp - they break easy.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    are the bars metal or carbon? If you're not worried about scratching the bars - give them a wrap with electric tape or cloth tape and just make it work. Use longer bolts if needed. Be gentle with the plastic clamp - they break easy.
    Bell Laps (IIRC) are a 31.8 diameter....Plim may want his lever closer to the stem where its fatter....

Are the Bell Laps still too chubby closer to the hoods? I'd think that's where the best place would be

dude with orange car
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    are you being lazy
    You know me. Of course I'm being lazy!

and trying to mount it over your corked out bar fat?
    But I'm not doing that! Trying on bare metal at first.

Bars are metal. Don't care about scratching them. Bolts aren't long enough. But the space between the bolts is smaller than the bar diameter where I want to put them, so it's not just a matter of length.

I want to put the lever right next to the stem, actually. The bars are fat there, which is the problem. With my hands resting on the top flat part of the bars, to comfortably use the lever, it has to be really far inboard. Otherwise, there is too much overlap between lever and hand. If I could put the lever farther outboard and have the arrangement be comfortable, that'd be done already. But that arrangement doesn't work for me.

You know me. Of course I'm being lazy!

But I'm not doing that! Trying on bare metal at first.

Bars are metal. Don't care about scratching them. Bolts aren't long enough. But the space between the bolts is smaller than the bar diameter where I want to put them, so it's not just a matter of length.

I want to put the lever right next to the stem, actually. The bars are fat there, which is the problem. With my hands resting on the top flat part of the bars, to comfortably use the lever, it has to be really far inboard. Otherwise, there is too much overlap between lever and hand. If I could put the lever farther outboard and have the arrangement be comfortable, that'd be done already. But that arrangement doesn't work for me.
    Zip Ties...

and you call yourself an engineer

EDIT: and this stoopid thread now is making me want to throw my GD on my Surly 1X1 drop bar'd monstercross rig....

damn you Plim.....

dude with orange car
    Zip Ties...

and you call yourself an engineer

EDIT: and this stoopid thread now is making me want to throw my GD on my Surly 1X1 drop bar'd monstercross rig....

damn you Plim.....

This is why I post questions. I'm no good at thinking. I learned my lesson about calling myself an engineer in front of you. Been 17 years (damn!) since I worked as an engineer at this point anyway.

Don't know if there are good places to run the zip ties on the lever thingy without seeing it in front of me, but will attempt it tonight and report back... Thanks Chumly!

If you have a GD, it should be on a bike, no matter how silly things get.

Save Jesus
    What you need are some crescent-shaped 25.4 to 31.8mm adapters.

edit: and some zip ties thru the bolt holes if they won't clear the bar

dude with orange car
    A bit much give in the zip ties for then to work very well. Takes a lot of force on the switch though. I'll try new cable and housing, see if that helps. It's overdue anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You just need to machine a new clamp. What's the holdup?

~~~
    If you drink enough, it will fit.

Slowest Rider
    I sold my AM bike due to disuse a couple months ago.
    Now that's .... just ... plain .... sad...

Just remember all the great places that AM bike took you:

down the Mississippi Lake trail from Bear Mountain
    Tips on mounting Gravity Dropper lever on slightly oversized bars?-mississippifieldsplim.jpg

to Pacheco Falls.
    Tips on mounting Gravity Dropper lever on slightly oversized bars?-pachecofalls-plim.jpg

And we'll never let you forget this pinnacle in your biking life
    Tips on mounting Gravity Dropper lever on slightly oversized bars?-ball-plimfly.jpg
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

dude with orange car
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    If you drink enough, it will fit.
    This was the plan I ended up trying. Eventually I forgot all about my bike even though it was in the work stand right next to my chair. So I may need to tweak the plan a bit. Maybe fewer brown ales and more IPA?

Big Larry! I still have my XC mountain bike. It's just the bike with over 6" of suspension travel that was sold. And in those pics... Alex and Rob really should've looked more impressed in the one of me on the giant rusty sphere.

A bit much give in the zip ties for then to work very well. Takes a lot of force on the switch though. I'll try new cable and housing, see if that helps. It's overdue anyway.

Zip Ties + Duct Tape?

maybe some bailing wire?

* no, i am not wearing a wife beater sharpening a knife right now watching Montel *

dude with orange car
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    You just need to machine a new clamp. What's the holdup?
    Will you bring a mill and a lathe by my house? I seem to have misplaced mine. I'll only need the equipment a week or two. Smartass.

Edit: Added pic of my bike workshop. See! No mill! No lathe! I do see CHUM's FF helmet though. Forgot I still had that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tips on mounting Gravity Dropper lever on slightly oversized bars?-img_1034.jpg  

Last edited by Plim; 03-22-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Convert it to non remote?

mtbr member

Tips on mounting Gravity Dropper lever on slightly oversized bars?

Love your setup. (Sorry, I'm lame I have nothing to say about your lever issue.)
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

Resident Curmudgeon
    screw type hose clamp around the bar with the lever half of the remote zip tied to that, or mount the screw through the clamp and the nut on the lever half.
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Bigger zip ties.

There are lots of zip ties flying in space.... just get the one with the metal tang.

~~~
    Will you bring a mill and a lathe by my house? I seem to have misplaced mine. I'll only need the equipment a week or two. Smartass.

Edit: Added pic of my bike workshop. See! No mill! No lathe! I do see CHUM's FF helmet though. Forgot I still had that.
    I can totally picture you sitting in that chair, legs outstretched, beer in hand, doing absolutely nothing, in that Plim sorta way. Probably just admiring your frayed cable ends. Maybe occasionally glancing at that box, wondering what's in there, but deciding that if it was important enough for you to know, you would have already looked, so why waste any energy on that now? And only Plim can make me wish that it was me sitting in that chair right now doing exactly the same thing.

dude with orange car
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    screw type hose clamp around the bar with the lever half of the remote zip tied to that, or mount the screw through the clamp and the nut on the lever half.
    Hose clamp is working so far. Thanks Buzz Cut!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tips on mounting Gravity Dropper lever on slightly oversized bars?-switch.jpg  

Paper or plastic?
    Wish I could give you more rep, cuz you deserve it!
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Hose clamp is working so far. Thanks Buzz Cut!
    Just got a GD for my CX

How did you enlarge two of the slots in the clamp to get the screws through? I tried to cut with a plier cutter but it's too fat to fit in. And dremel tool might cut two adjacent slots off, making the hole too large.

mtbr member
    Went with the hybrid clamp + (many) zip tie method
    Tips on mounting Gravity Dropper lever on slightly oversized bars?-img_20141121_155431471_hdr.jpg

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Really want to know what's in that box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast