Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Tilden Cyclist Dead in crash with SUV

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...ke21.DTL&tsp=1

Bicyclist killed in Tilden Park crash

Bay City News

Monday, June 21, 2010

(06-21) 12:49 PDT -- A 40-year-old Oakland man was killed while riding his bicycle in Tilden Regional Park on Saturday, East Bay Regional Park District police said.

William Flint II was riding downhill on South Park Drive near the Grizzly picnic area at about 2 p.m. when his bicycle drifted into oncoming traffic, police said.

He crashed into the side of a 2003 Ford Expedition sport utility vehicle.

The driver of the SUV, with help from an on-duty park employee, rendered aid while they waited for paramedics to arrive.

Flint was taken by helicopter to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, where he was pronounced dead, police said

Lusus Naturae
    Same story with most Car vs Bike incidents: The only person left alive gets to define what happened.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    Same story with most Car vs Bike incidents: The only person left alive gets to define what happened.
    Crash scene investigators are not complete morons and there is no world conspiracy against cycling, IMHO.

R.I.P.

mtbr rememberer
    damn

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's a pretty narrow view, imho. I was driving on Paradise Drive in Tiburon last weekend and saw at least half a dozen cyclists with the head over the double yellow while leaning on turns. I'm surprised that there aren't more fatalities on that road.

Lusus Naturae
    I didn't make a statement regarding whether or not the report was true, did I?

mtbr member
    I didn't make a statement regarding whether or not the report was true, did I?
    It looked like you did.

Lusus Naturae
    Someone needs reading comprehension 101, apparently.

mtbr member
    I rode up this road a few months ago. I saw some riders bombing down.

While I have always been a fast road descender, I did think some riders who probably weren't the best handlers were going a little too fast on some blind turns, because the road was closed.

I don't know what happened, but if this road was supposed to be clear and it wasn't...

mtbr member
    William Flint II was riding downhill on South Park Drive near the Grizzly picnic area at about 2 p.m. when his bicycle drifted into oncoming traffic, police said.

He crashed into the side of a 2003 Ford Expedition sport utility vehicle.
    There is a perception by the ignorant that riders are little kids out to play, that they do not have the skills or the care to ride defensively and carefully.

I have no idea what the deal was with the rider or the accident. All I know is that I have NEVER DRIFTED into traffic.

I have seen lots of drivers drift into my line though.

mtbr member
    May 2006

crashed into the SIDE of the SUV?

I'm a Berkeley resident, and I've ridden down South Park road many, many times over the years.

It is no doubt "dangerous" from the standpoint of speed.....you can easily get to 50mph if care to.

The thing that concerns me here is how the bike rider could have hit the side of the SUV, rather than the front.

There are a couple of points of entry onto South Park road from picnic areas, and trailheads. It is possible that the SUV was exiting one of those areas and thus jutted out into the road, and then the bike rider slammed into the side of the SUV.

If that is what happened, then it was not that the rider "drifted" onto oncoming traffic.

Well, hopefully we'll get a real answer as to what happened, but the fact that this is being reported as a SIDE impact rather than a FRONT impact makes me wary.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Well, I'm an OK dirt rider but not very experienced on road. I have made the mistake of cutting tight and leaning over the yellow line in corners. Doesn't take too long to realize that could be a fatal mistake.
    My thoughts to the family.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Someone needs reading comprehension 101, apparently.
    No apparent need for that - but you have clearly aced Insinuation 101.

Birthday Collector
    It is quite possible that carrying too much speed into a right-hand bend coming down South Park, and then drifting into the oncoming lane was the case - hitting the side of a car, even at a fairly shallow angle, at speed can do a lot of damage. Not to mention the aftermath of the tumble that ensues after one bounces off the sheetmetal. The car-bike incident may not have injured the rider that badly, but could have stunned them enough that they fell uncontrolled to the pavement at 40+. That could easily be your last fall. My feelings go out to the family, and I hope the rider checked out quickly and didn't endure too much.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

It's about showing up.

Even good riders make mistakes

South Park Road starts at the top of Wildcat Canyon at the beginning of the creek's watershed between Vollmer peak (1905 ft) and Grizzly Peak (1758 ft). From Grizzly Peak Road going downhill to the north, left on this map, there is over 730 feet of descent on smooth pave running along the edge of Wildcat Creek, intersecting Wildcat Canyon Road.

It is not just the speeds possible on South Park but the rapid acceleration at any point. Further, while the road is wide open and the apparent sightlines ample, this is not a straight descent and it does undulate. 50 mph is easy to achieve and you can get light in places. At that point, 73 ft per second, a distraction or bad decision, of any kind, can put you in danger. Add to that there is always the occasion for bad luck at over 50 mph or 30 mph for that matter. Then there is oncoming traffic.

I've heard of cyclists losing life over on the Peninsula in the last few years. I know this road well and at speed, wet, dark and otherwise. Who of us have not been near that edge? Too real.

Unstoppable force encounters immovable object, regardless of fault. Very, very sad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tilden Cyclist Dead in crash with SUV-south-park.jpg  

Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 06-21-2010 at 09:42 PM.

mtb'er
    Last year or so I was driving down Wildcat Canyon Rd. to San Pablo Dam Rd. in Orinda. I was following a female roadie. While I wished I could pass her, with all the blind curves it was not safe, so I patiently drove behind her. On one pretty good curve to the right, I noticed she was getting close to the center yellow line, which she ultimately crossed slightly. I remember thinking, "Wow... that could have been bad." Well two turns later, she's looking like she's not going to make the turn again and sure enough, an SUV is right there, driving up the hill. She smacked into the side of it and bounced off! I estimate she was going about 20mph and the SUV (who likely hit the brakes) was probably closer to 10mph at the time of impact. Her carbon fiber bike was destroyed, but she was okay, thank goodness. In my opinion, she had no business riding on that road given that she could hardly stay in a car lane at relatively low speeds. She was lucky.

mtbr member
    its just like MTB if you don't know your limits or push them the outcome may not be all that good....

I just got a road bike last week (for MTB training) and riding with traffic scares the hell out of me, luckily there are some good roads around my area that have very low traffic or none at all (private road with permission to ride of course)

Like a boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boognish
    That's a pretty narrow view, imho. I was driving on Paradise Drive in Tiburon last weekend and saw at least half a dozen cyclists with the head over the double yellow while leaning on turns. I'm surprised that there aren't more fatalities on that road.
    I ride the Paradise loop a lot, and I feel like Paradise itself is nothing compared to the short but steep Loma Alta descent. The first few times I rode it, I definitely went too close to the middle line. I'm grateful nothing bad happened, and I learned my lesson. Meanwhile, I've almost been ran over by Porsches on two separate incidents on Paradise... while staying fully within the proper lane.

I really prefer mountain biking.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

My fastest speed on a single seat bike was achieved going down South Park. 57.5mph according to Garmin, Could have done 60, but my nads shriveled up, I pissed myself and sat up. The front end of my road bike feels really light at 50 and could easily see getting into trouble at those speeds. It doesn't take much to hit 50 on South Park.

My thoughts go out to Mr Flint's friends and family, and to the driver who will have to live with the memory of all of this. Sad situation all around

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    My fastest speed on a single seat bike was achieved going down South Park. 57.5mph according to Garmin, Could have done 60, but my nads shriveled up, I pissed myself and sat up. The front end of my road bike feels really light at 50 and could easily see getting into trouble at those speeds. It doesn't take much to hit 50 on South Park.

My thoughts go out to Mr Flint's friends and family, and to the driver who will have to live with the memory of all of this. Sad situation all around

+1, RIP.

I ride up around Tilden all the time, being at the base of Spruce, although I never been down South Park Dr (usually stick to Wildcat or Grizzly Peak), but I hear it's a screamer, second to Moeser Ln off Arlington.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I travel up Grizzly Peak everyday, for my job, and think cyclist and autos what a poor mix. The road is twisty , narrow, blind etc. I took some freinds, from East Asia, for a tour of the Parks and upon the drive up hill a couple freinds commented "their ride to work is dangerous" I told them it was for leisure, they had confused looks @ this point. In their country bikes, autos, animals litter the road ways which seems really chaotic to me but it's their means of transportation. My family thinks my mt. biking is a bit risky but are quite relieved I don't try and share the road w/ autos - the cyclist will lose in a tangle up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    Last year or so I was driving down Wildcat Canyon Rd. to San Pablo Dam Rd. in Orinda. I was following a female roadie. While I wished I could pass her, with all the blind curves it was not safe, so I patiently drove behind her. On one pretty good curve to the right, I noticed she was getting close to the center yellow line, which she ultimately crossed slightly. I remember thinking, "Wow... that could have been bad." Well two turns later, she's looking like she's not going to make the turn again and sure enough, an SUV is right there, driving up the hill. She smacked into the side of it and bounced off! I estimate she was going about 20mph and the SUV (who likely hit the brakes) was probably closer to 10mph at the time of impact. Her carbon fiber bike was destroyed, but she was okay, thank goodness. In my opinion, she had no business riding on that road given that she could hardly stay in a car lane at relatively low speeds. She was lucky.
    Well, let's say this cyclist made a big mistake...

NedwannaB

Terrible event

But why must it be bicycle vs "SUV" all the time. Cyclist vs. "auto" is bad enough.

Condolences.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Very unfortunate for all involved. May the Lord have Mercy on his family and all of us while we engage in our risky behaviors..

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha426
    I ride the Paradise loop a lot, and I feel like Paradise itself is nothing compared to the short but steep Loma Alta descent.
    Camino Alto?

Morgan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast