Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ticks are back?

mtbr member

Ticks are back?

Got one on me today. Rode Limekiln to and up Priest then down Priest to truck. Tick is alive and well in a bag. Do I need to take further steps right away? Ticks are back?-fullsizer-64-.jpgTicks are back?-fullsizer-63-.jpg
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

Trail Gnome
    When did they leave I get one almost every ride...time to start using my cats flea and tick Meds
    Last edited by griz; 02-26-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Brand Ambassador SuperModerator
    Hmm it looks like he was in you for quite awhile to make a mark like that. If you can set up a doctor's appointment easily and cheaply I'd get seen in the next day or so if you can. Usually if they are not attached long it doesn't leave much of a trace. He's small and dark too which weirds me out. Maybe Redhawk has advice?

On second thought it doesn't appear very red. How do you feel?

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    That's what ticks look like around here...unless they're full of your blood, then they look like a grape

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    When did they leave I get one almost every ride...time to start using my cats flea and tick mess
    That would freak me out ... a tick every ride. I almost never get them.
    Hmm it looks like he was in you for quite awhile to make a mark like that. If you can set up a doctor's appointment easily and cheaply I'd get seen in the next day or so if you can. Usually if they are not attached long it doesn't leave much of a trace. He's small and dark too which weirds me out. Maybe Redhawk has advice?
    I think I did the marking taking it off but I'll see if my doctor can get me in earlier ... I have an appointment of the 7th. ... Thanks for the input guys!
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

mtbr member
    Ha! Ha! Redhawk is not allowed to give medical advice online but she can share this public information from a highly reputable source https://www.uptodate.com/contents/wh...ond-the-basics

mtbr member
    When did they leave I get one almost every ride...time to start using my cats flea and tick mess
    Feel fine and thanks for calling the calvary!
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
    Ha! Ha! Redhawk is not allowed to give medical advice online but she can share this public information from a highly reputable source https://www.uptodate.com/contents/wh...ond-the-basics
    Thanks for the great info! Looks like it's a deer tick but since I got it right away maybe I'm OK?

mtbr member
    In all overwhelmingly great likelihood if you do not meet the criteria for treatment in the article. Again, Redhawk cannot dispense medical advice over the internet but any Doctor Mom worth her salt would advise you to wash with warm soapy water so as to avoid a skin infection

Trail Gnome
    Looks fine...that guy didn't get a chance to really latch on to you, and sample yer goods

I'm no doctor though...

From what little I can recall...Lymes disease isn't that common in NorCal.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Looks fine...that guy didn't get a chance to really latch on to you, and sample yer goods

I'm no doctor though...

From what little I can recall...Lymes disease isn't that common in NorCal.
    Maybe where you live. Save the tick. Wait a week for the halo. Halo shows, take you and the tick and get checked. No halo, you're probably ok. Where I live is ground zero for Lyme's.

That makes me smart
    Amputate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    Maybe where you live. Save the tick. Wait a week for the halo. Halo shows, take you and the tick and get checked. No halo, you're probably ok. Where I live is ground zero for Lyme's.
    Thanks man! Indeed ... He's jailed in his new sealed sandwich bag crawling around looking for small deer no doubt. :-)

mtbr member
    I've had my fair share of run-ins with ticks. Most medical advice says if tick is in for less than 24 hours, chances of any disease transmission is small. Like others have said, look for the bullseye rash. But don't freak out if you do get some sort of marking. I had one in burrow in my side in May of last year and had a rash/swelling in that spot for months. It literally looked like a third nipple in my side, and itched like hell. Dermatologist did all the tests, and they didn't find any tick-borne diseases. He said there was likely a piece of the tick left in my body creating the irritation. 3 rounds of steroidal injections later, I've got a scar that looks like a bullet wound, making it fun telling people I've been shot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Amputate.
    Yep ... one of his little legs gets it every day starting tamale!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just keep an eye on bite area. If red circular rash appears seek a doctor. Usually they have to be attached for more then 24hr to infect you. I found out I had Lyme's when half my face stopped working...😵

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm74 View Post
    Just keep an eye on bite area. If red circular rash appears seek a doctor. Usually they have to be attached for more then 24hr to infect you. I found out I had Lyme's when half my face stopped working...😵
    Sorry about that! It can be a life changing disease for sure. Hope you are better now! Some folks take it way worse than others.

dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hmm...Ive been riding Auburn/ FH / GB for 5 yrs and have never gotten one. I check really well after my rides though. Maybe you all just crash in to the bush more than me...lol Im slow...

mtbr member

Ticks are back?

Ancient rascal,

You can put the thing in an evelope and send it so they check if it has lyme or not. You can google it or someone can chime in to say who does this tests in the Bay Area. In some areas is free, in other areas they charge a fee.

Do not think too much about the bulleye, just make sure too measure it and check it does not grow fast. I think you need to extract with oil and circular movement with patience so not leave any of it inside, as I found out after extracting one to myself angrily the direct way.

I can tell you they are all over the place, wherever there is tall grass, year round !! Just for example in el Sereno I found 6 or 7 running through my legs !!!! It is true that if happens a lot if you are of the kind that likes narrow singletrack or even ... no track.

Best advice is to learn to see them and to avoid contact with the grass !! I always check on the first minutes of a ride or when I get to an overgrown area or when I stop to eat or photograph.

I also use long shocks, the ones with less wholes that I find. The spray and clear colors also help to keep them away or to detect them, but since I always forget, the best is learn to see them. Also they have different colours and shape depending on the age.

For me, if I could get rid of one -rattlesnakes, mountain lions, poison oak, and ticks, - it would be a nobrainer: ticks.
    Last edited by OS-KR; 02-26-2017 at 11:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-KR View Post
    You can put the thing in an evelope and send it so they check if it has lyme or not.
    I think it takes more than 24 hours for the tick to start regurgitating the bacterium that causes Lyme disease (but the OP should check that this is the case before believing me).

What I do is tease them out with tweezers ever so slowly (takes a minute or so) and then bag them with fold of wet tissue paper to keep them moist.

If the rash doesn't develop, then I freeze them (just for posterity) after about a week or so (I don't follow a set rule).

What I find odd is that I have multiple tick bites where they seem to take forever to heal. Do others have that peculiar issue?

When I get a normal cut, it heals in a few days, usually without leaving much of a scar; but a tick bite seems to take months to fully heal, and even then, it leaves a scar.

Is that your experience also?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by dpo View Post
    Hmm...Ive been riding Auburn/ FH / GB for 5 yrs and have never gotten one. I check really well after my rides though. Maybe you all just crash in to the bush more than me...lol Im slow...
    I take offense to that!

*No ticks in here*
    Ticks are back?-106201618449.jpg

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    If your penis falls off, see a doctor.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    If your penis falls off, see a doctor.
    You mean completely off ... not just a drop off from performance ... etc. right? I see what you did with the weekly ride report deal !

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-KR View Post
    Very nice link!

It says they'll do free tick testing, but not for diagnostic purposes.
    Still, it's better than no tick testing.

Nathan Nieto, Assistant Professor Microbiology
    Department of Biological Sciences
    617 S. Beaver Street
    Northern Arizona University
    Flagstaff, AZ 86011

a. Within 3 days, put the tick in a baggie with a moist paper towel.
    b. Fill out their PDF form & mail it in the US Mail.
    c. Within three weeks they will tell you what beasts they found

They test for:
    1. Borrelia burgdorferi, which causes Lyme disease
    2. Borrelia miyamotoi, which causes tick-borne relapsing fever
    3. Babesia microti, which causes Babesiosis
    4. Anaplasma phagocytophilum, which causes anaplasmosis
    5. Ehrlichia chafeensis, which causes human monocytic erhlichiosis
    6. Rickettsia rickettsii, the agent of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

They do list the pay-for-tick testing sites:
    1. $68 per bacterium IGeneX
    2. $50 TickReport (3 days)

The first web site (IGeneX) makes it almost impossible to find how much it costs to test a tick, so I had to call the company to find the form:
    http://www.igenex.com/Website/wp-con...2-11-11-16.pdf

That first company (IGeneX) charges $68 per bacterium, whereas the second company (TickReport) seems to charge $50 for the entire battery of possible bacteria.

If you're scamming the government, you'll note that for only $500 to $1500, they'll run a battery of tests on your blood, to prove that's why you need to go out on disability!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Nice one also!

There's so much bad information out there on how to remove ticks properly that it's nice to see good stuff once in a while!

I've had, oh, maybe fifty ticks or so in my lifetime on me, and the first few score I removed the wrong way - so - it's nice to know that the right way is well documented.

middle ring single track
    The ticks are back; the early start to winter (Oct. rains) seems to have spread out their emergence this year. They're definitely out and about but they seem smaller and fewer in number. I usually get bit about 6X a year but I've had 2 in me since New Years. Tiny guys but the bite still rather reactionary. One was in for 12+ hours and the other for 20 minutes but the inflammation, discomfort (itchy mostly) and the scarring (pock mark will remain for maybe a year) was about the same.

Note to self; time to start using repellent.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    If you're worried about it go to the doctor and ask to go on a round of doxy or mino. It will clear your acne up too .
    From what I recall bullseye rashes only show up in something like 30% of lyme infections and a lot of lyme positive folks have no symptoms after a bite.
    If you dont do anything remind us to ask you how you feel in a few years; if you are positive you may not remember to ask...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    If you're worried about it go to the doctor and ask to go on a round of doxy or mino. It will clear your acne up too .
    From what I recall bullseye rashes only show up in something like 30% of lyme infections and a lot of lyme positive folks have no symptoms after a bite.
    If you dont do anything remind us to ask you how you feel in a few years; if you are positive you may not remember to ask...

Lymes is way over stated danger in our area, very very few cases originate here in Cal, this was told to me by the local lab. You really want to f your body up? start dropping antibiotics like candy as a prophylactic every time you find a tick..

mtbr member
    Both my wife and I contacted LYME (no "s") from the bay area. The disease is an issue country wide; california does have some hot spots with the bay area being one of them.
    My guess is that a lot of people are potentially symptomatic, however, doctors are not testing or adequately treating.
    I would gladly take a course of antibiotics vs dealing with the long term treatment and affects.
    My investment has been north of $130k to treat this "rare" disease because the CDC does not have a protocol to treat the disease once it becomes chronic, and insurance covers very little.
    The good doctor's have waiting lists for California Lyme patients.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Both my wife and I contacted LYME (no "s") from the bay area. The disease is an issue country wide; california does have some hot spots with the bay area being one of them.
    My guess is that a lot of people are potentially symptomatic, however, doctors are not testing or adequately treating.
    I would gladly take a course of antibiotics vs dealing with the long term treatment and affects.
    My investment has been north of $130k to treat this "rare" disease because the CDC does not have a protocol to treat the disease once it becomes chronic, and insurance covers very little.
    The good doctor's have waiting lists for California Lyme patients.

Just going off of Marin county lab I spoke with said they have tested hundreds of thousands of ticks and only found a couple that were carriers. could be under reported I suppose.

Sorry about you and your wife, what are the odds, glad you found treatment.

Unfortunately taking antibiotics, unless you are 100% sure you need them is another crisis that has health repercussions. Beyond destroying your gut biology it leads to super bugs.

But I stand corrected, I guess I'm just Lyme skeptical a bit because now the real housewives and their kids have it and it seems to be the ailment du jour for alternative medicine people.

I have heard of more people having lyme in last 3 years than last 30. It's like the new chronic fatigue.

Although I'm not making light and not joking and obviously wrong.

I should get tested, I've had many many ticks in my time and perhaps it's the testing that was missing it all these years.

Thanks and again sorry for your health issues.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Truth be known, it's the nymphs that get you. They leave no marks or any indication you've been bit. I just posted my earlier comments because I don't trust the little bastards.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seamarsh View Post
    I guess I'm just Lyme skeptical a bit because now the real housewives and their kids have it and it seems to be the ailment du jour for alternative medicine people.

I have heard of more people having lyme in last 3 years than last 30. It's like the new chronic fatigue.
    Yup. "Chronic Lyme Disease" is snake oil sold by unscrupulous providers or naturopaths, with vague symptoms that can't be confirmed or excluded in any reliable way. For anyone looking into this, please seek out a consult from an infectious disease physician before handing over a ton of money for treatments, the efficacy of which cannot be proven.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    Yup. "Chronic Lyme Disease" is snake oil sold by unscrupulous providers or naturopaths, with vague symptoms that can't be confirmed or excluded in any reliable way. For anyone looking into this, please seek out a consult from an infectious disease physician before handing over a ton of money for treatments, the efficacy of which cannot be proven.
    Totally agree, I'm in Marin so I have seen huge uptick, in naturopaths telling almost anyone that they have Lyme. I guess that's what I was thinking of vs actually contracting Lyme, which is obviously real.

middle ring single track
    Statistically I'm about due; I get most of my ticks at Henry W Coe SP (where I do a bunch of trail work) and somewhere I heard it's about 1 tick in 30 at Coe that carries Lyme's. But maybe that I always get the biters removed within 24 hours keeps me safe.

Shouldn't have been discussing this here; got my 3rd tick of the year today. I'd been out on the trail for less than 2 hours and felt a tickle below my right cheek (butt) and upon dropping my pants could feel that it was indeed a tick with a good grip. Tried to do a selfie but when you can't see the screen it's tough; this was the best I could do:

Ticks are back?-wp_20170228_048.jpg
    I know I'm pale but that's where the sun doesn't shine much, a little bit of redness is present.

And here's the bugger trying to make a get-away after removal and just before I smashed it:

Ticks are back?-wp_20170228_053.jpg
    I guess that white speck is a piece of me between the mouth parts. Ick.

As a coincidence a Santa Clara County Vector Control truck was in the parking lot; most likely doing a tick survey. (Could have been for mosquitoes though)
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    FWIW, my ton of money was handed over to infectious disease doctors. Some of these doctors do work with natural practioners which in our case did prove to be helpful.
    The providers in our network would not, or could not properly treat my wife even though she tested positive for lyme, babesia, bartonella, and erlichia using CDC approved tests.
    We think we know when she was bit; the tick was not extracted properly, and medical treatment was not sought. Five years after the bite she became symptomatic after receiving a concussion. All of that started 9 years ago, she has now been off treatment for almost two years and is doing great.
    I also tested positive for Lyme in 2014. However, I do not recall ever being bit. My symptoms also started after a head injury. The rheumatologist and infectious disease doctor within my provider network had to follow CDC guidelines so there were few treatment options provided after the initial course of AB did not help. I ended up becoming a patient of the doctors that helped my wife and am also doing much better now.

I guess the moral of the story is you don't know until you know...

mtbr member
    Couple of quick notes:
    -Typing anything more than a sentence on a phone from tapatalk sucks.
    -I'm not upset with anyone's point of view. My viewpoint is a result of my experience with the topic.
    -Given our enhanced exposure risks I dont necessarily see anything wrong with discussing the topic here as long as the conversation stays civil.

With that said I have nothing else to contribute.

mtbr member
    Couple of quick notes:
    -Typing anything more than a sentence on a phone from tapatalk sucks.
    -I'm not upset with anyone's point of view. My viewpoint is a result of my experience with the topic.
    -Given our enhanced exposure risks I dont necessarily see anything wrong with discussing the topic here as long as the conversation stays civil.

With that said I have nothing else to contribute.

Agreed on all 3 points.

Glad to hear you and your wife are feeling better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I went backpacking last weekend at Henry Coe and saw 5 ticks on us and our stuff. A lot out there right now! Luckily no one got bit that we know of.

fc
    It's a good idea to get that tick remover scoop tool. Very easy even with zero experience.

I had a tick on my dog and I tried every trick on YouTube and didn't work on a deep down tick.

One mistake I made is I gave up one night after working to get a fat tick out. Got the tool in the morning to get the tick and it spilled its guts out in the host dog already.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    It's a good idea to get that tick remover scoop tool. Very easy even with zero experience.

I had a tick on my dog and I tried every trick on YouTube and didn't work on a deep down tick.

One mistake I made is I gave up one night after working to get a fat tick out. Got the tool in the morning to get the tick and it spilled its guts out in the host dog already.
    Thanks fc is this the ticket? https://www.chewy.com/tickease-tick-...zers/dp/136714

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm surprised noone has mention treating clothes/gear with permathrin. Ticks can crawl around in DEET for hours, permathrin kills instantly on contact. You can't put it on your skin, only for treating gear, but...

I spent 3 days bikepacking at Henry Coe last summer. I treated all clothes, shoes, backpack, bikebags, bivy, tarp, everything but me. I hiked/road through waist high grass many times every day. I did not see 1 tick the entire trip.

It's not too pricey and treatment lasts for 6 weeks/6 washes.

Lyme is serious stuff, I feel for those of you who have gotten it, and wish you all a full recovery. My Father-in-law(Georgia) almost died from it when he was misdiagnosed.

All things considered, the risk of lyme vs not going to the woods, isn't even a choice. I have to go to the woods for sanity reasons, so I will put up with the ticks.

fc
    the tool

Name:  lg-81153-63598K.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  28.1 KB
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    the tool

Name:  lg-81153-63598K.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  28.1 KB
    That looks "Wait Weeknee" light man!

mtbr member
    I had one last year. Doctor put me on meds right away for a week. In the meantime I had taken the tick to be tested. There is a place on Moorpark Ave next to Valley Med. who will test. Turns out it tested negative. Found out a day after taking the last dose of antibiotics. Better to be safe than sorry. The one I had was on me for around 24 hrs before I got it out.

mtbr member
    More Western Fence Lizards (aka blue belly lizards)= less Lyme disease:

Lizards Slow Lyme Disease in West

Just here for the scenery
    Those v-shaped removers ("scoops") are da bomb... foolproof, zero worry about squirting the tick's body fluid back into you, and they catch the tick's head so tight you sometimes need tweezers to drag it out of the slot. Plus they're as light as a spare valve cap... no reason everyone shouldn't have one in the pack or pocket. REI should have a bowl of them by the door, like condoms at a rave.
    Greg LeMond for graybeards: "It doesn't get easier... you just go slower"

If You Can't Fix It, You Don't Own It

mtbr member
    Here's the information for testing in San Jose.

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/sccphd/...tal%20Form.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ticky Ticky Tavy.

Ticks are back?-tickytickytavy.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Wow. I've never seen an entire stick of questing ticks!
    Nice shot. Did you take that yourself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast