Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ticks are back?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    yeah, it was from the back yard. some had even more - up to 30+. thousands upon thousands out there. they go "pop" over a lighter.

<edit> location, santa cruz mountains between felton and los gatos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    I had one last year. Doctor put me on meds right away for a week. In the meantime I had taken the tick to be tested. There is a place on Moorpark Ave next to Valley Med. who will test. Turns out it tested negative. Found out a day after taking the last dose of antibiotics. Better to be safe than sorry. The one I had was on me for around 24 hrs before I got it out.
    Seems reasonable to prescribe medications for no reason while waiting for test results to tell you they are not necessary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    FWIW, my ton of money was handed over to infectious disease doctors. Some of these doctors do work with natural practioners which in our case did prove to be helpful.
    The providers in our network would not, or could not properly treat my wife even though she tested positive for lyme, babesia, bartonella, and erlichia using CDC approved tests.
    We think we know when she was bit; the tick was not extracted properly, and medical treatment was not sought. Five years after the bite she became symptomatic after receiving a concussion. All of that started 9 years ago, she has now been off treatment for almost two years and is doing great.
    I also tested positive for Lyme in 2014. However, I do not recall ever being bit. My symptoms also started after a head injury. The rheumatologist and infectious disease doctor within my provider network had to follow CDC guidelines so there were few treatment options provided after the initial course of AB did not help. I ended up becoming a patient of the doctors that helped my wife and am also doing much better now.

I guess the moral of the story is you don't know until you know...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

This is very interesting.. A guy at work who has been having horrible mystery symptoms from a concussion for over a year has just been diagnosed with (allegedly) with Lyme, I wonder if there is some correlation re: concussions??

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seamarsh View Post
    Seems reasonable to prescribe medications for no reason while waiting for test results to tell you they are not necessary.
    Yes, yes it does. Also please tell us where you went to med school.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Widely known that over prescription of antibiotics is a major issue, its not a fringe conspiracy. Unfortunately many dr's out there still dole them out like candy..

For an example, think of all the people that were overprescribed opiates, I'm assuming the dr's that over prescribed oxycontin went to medical school, correct?

people can take what ever they want, including oxy's, its ok with me just not a good thing to do if you can avoid it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by seamarsh View Post
    Widely known that over prescription of antibiotics is a major issue, its not a fringe conspiracy. Unfortunately many dr's out there still dole them out like candy.
    I'm not an MD so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but, I agree with you.

Many people just assume they have the disease of the day, especially since there are so many gullible people out there that they can commiserate with, who will believe anything.

I'm not saying the diseases don't exist, but, it's sort of like the mountain lion thing. Sure, the danger exists. But not in any proportion to the fear.

When someone tells me they've been in thick poison oak, I simply ask them "What color is poison oak on your clothes?", and if they can't answer that question, then I know (beyond a shadow of any doubt) that they have never been in heavy poison oak.

Likewise with Lyme disease and other tick borne diseases. I would ask what definitive diagnostic test results proved whatever disease of the day they (oh so adamantly) claim they have.

Anyone intelligent who really had the disease, would know the test numbers down to the microgram.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great thread! I hate ticks. I was mostly blissfully ignorant of them until living and riding in Philadelphia for a couple years. Numerous people I had met there had battled lyme disease. Once I learned about the ticks and started looking for them I'd find them. Don't sit on the ground/rocks/logs. Don't set your pack on the ground either. Stay on the trail. I eventually started using permethrin in select locations (upper part of my socks, shoes, pack, lower part of my shorts) and seemed to have success with that.

I share seamarsh's concern about using the antibiotics so hastily, especially if you live in an area where so such a low percentage of ticks test positive for lyme. Antibiotics are great, but they are not without side effects, even long term ones. MD doctors are taught one line of thinking and it is heavily influenced by pharmaceutical companies. Additionally, many of them are beat down from having patients come to them expecting/demanding a prescription and also it's better from their perspective to hand out a prescription when it's not needed then the opposite scenario.

Anyone that is aware of the implications of antibiotics on our body's flora think perhaps there is a connection to chronic lyme with the multiple rounds of antibiotics that lyme patients may have taken?

mtbr member

My Doctor visit

The day after my ride and tick encounter ... I had a dentist appointment. He uses head gear for detailed work and agreed with me that it looked like I got everything out of the bite. I was amazed how little he knew about tick bites and Lyme, etc. as he lives in the hills of Cupertino in tick country. So on to the Doctor visit. Doctor gave me the blood test for Rocky mountain and Lyme disease and said if I don't hear from her ... its a good thing. Next appointment is in 3 months for another test for the same. FYI ... Some rounds of intense antibiotics will leave you ... never the same ... Enjoy the weekend all!
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

Trail Gnome
    I got another one today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ticks are back?-img_1200.jpg  

Brand Ambassador SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I got another one today.
    I caught 3 of them crawling up my pants today while in the canyon (American River). They didn't have time to get on my skin. In tick habitat I go into tweaker dance mode. lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I caught 3 of them crawling up my pants today while in the canyon (American River). They didn't have time to get on my skin. In tick habitat I go into tweaker dance mode. lol
    You're too sexy for your pants ... too sexy for your shirt ... but just right for what bugs want!
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

Brand Ambassador SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    You're too sexy for your pants ... too sexy for your shirt ... but just right for what bugs want!
    LOL no kidding! Jeni snapped a pic of me walking my bike down the stairs wearing a chamois and my light rain jacket which was of course open down the front. Then posted it on FB.

mtbr member
    I just came across this article last week that had some recommendations to keep them off: Here are 5 essential oils that repel bugs.
    1. Lavender – This smells sweet to us but bugs absolutely hate it. It works on mosquitoes, flies and other insects.
    2. PennyRoyal – this is a member of the mint family and it is toxic to insects.
    3. Lemongrass – This essential oil comes from tropical lemongrass and has a citrusy sent. It is a natural flea and tick repellent and can be sprayed directly on the skin.
    4. Eucalyptus – use this alone or along with citronella oil to keep bugs away. According to the Journal of medical entomology, Eucalyptus extract can reduce tick bites and infections.
    5. Lemon – some lemon essential oil can work against fleas and other bugs. Slightly dilute it and spray it on your clothing and skin.

mtbr member
    I think I've developed an allergic response to ticks. Got one about 2 weeks ago, flamed up pretty good so I saw my derm. He injected some steroids which helped a bit, but there's still some inflammation around it.
    Ticks are back?-20170329_145133_resized.jpg

The weird thing is once that bite got inflamed, another 2 tick bites from 1-2 years ago developed inflammation/rash around them too! And this is after they've totally healed. WTF?

Ticks are back?-20170329_145323_resized.jpgTicks are back?-20170329_145333_resized.jpg

aka: Bucky Fikes
    ^^Eeeew!

I woke up at 5 a.m. this morning and was gathering the energy to get out of bed when I felt something crawling on my wrist. I look to find a tick attempting to get under my watch band. Checked the rest of me and all clear. Must have come in on my Labrador from his romp through the weeds on our walk yesterday. No bite, fortunately. An this, right after I sprayed all my knee/elbow pads with permethrin spray.
    Always ride with a purpose.

middle ring single track
    I'm well ahead of schedule with tick bite #5 for the year; thinking I should donate my body to science.

Ticks are back?-wp_20170405_006.jpg

Tick #5 is small speck lower center; tick #4 from last week left the upper pock mark; this is the back side of my left knee.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    The weird thing is once that bite got inflamed, another 2 tick bites from 1-2 years ago developed inflammation/rash around them too! And this is after they've totally healed. WTF?
    That's really interesting!
    I wonder what the connection is, since the old bites got inflamed at the same time.

I currently have about five tick "holes" in me, where they seem to take forever to heal compared to similar-sized holes in my skin from other causes, but I haven't noticed a related commensurate inflammation like you have.

I wonder what the relationship is between the old bites and the new ones?
    Do yours also take a very long time (months or more) to heal like mine do?

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    ^^Eeeew!

I woke up at 5 a.m. this morning and was gathering the energy to get out of bed when I felt something crawling on my wrist. I look to find a tick attempting to get under my watch band. Checked the rest of me and all clear. Must have come in on my Labrador from his romp through the weeds on our walk yesterday. No bite, fortunately. An this, right after I sprayed all my knee/elbow pads with permethrin spray.
    Jeebus what a damn nightmare. Like a spider or cockroach while sleeping... but worse.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Okay I'll go next.

After a day of riding and a night around a campfire about 20 years ago I was car camping off Hwy 20 along the Pioneer Trail and woke up the next day with a tick embedded deeply into my skin by my ribs below my left armpit. I couldn't get it out and it hurt, so I ended up cutting it out with the corner of a fresh razor blade. It felt good! The scar was bad for a while, but it has practically vanished.

Once a bite from a Coe tick on my belly belt line, Saturday, eventually displayed a classic bull's-eye rash. The tick was removed about 6 hours after it bit, I was pretty sure (same day as trail work). It wasn't a deeply embedded tick, and there wasn't much discomfort. The rash with a highly defined red ring appeared the next day, Sunday. Still no discomfort. Third day, on that Monday I went to the doctor after being hectored by wife and friends. Doctor prescribed antibiotics. I always wondered if that was necessary.

Tick checks are fun to do with your partner in the shower.

I notice that hirsuteness contributes to tick bites. The hairs on the body give a place for the tick to anchor onto and climb around avoiding tickle detection. It's probably a good idea to shave the body so that earlier tick detection is possible. When they crawl on skin, it is possible to feel them better, and also see them easier, if the legs and arms are shaved, such as in the case, as is typical, they light upon your legs.

Then they almost always climb upwards into a moist warm crevice.

As we know, they secrete a numbing agent which can mask their bite enough sometimes, that it isn't noticed. The sensation of their bite to me is very similar to the discomfort of a fox tail or a burr or thorn in my clothes.

Experience has taught me to elevate my awareness of any pricking sensation, and investigate ASAP. I swear this has helped me a lot.

Furthermore, drinking alcoholic beverages right after a hard effort in tick country dulls the senses, and is something I now avoid at least until a thorough tick check has been performed.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12