Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NONDURO

Thursday August 1, 2013 - TNGR or Ratpick’s sadistic singlespeed ride???

Haven’t yet seen full details on Ratpick’s paved uphill and dirt descent singlespeed ride yet, just rumours floating about. Something about ascending Montebello and descending in the dirt. My dilemma is not being able to ride during the morning, not sure what his plans were for this ride schedule-wise. If I cannot make it, I will be hittin’ up TNGR.

(Timely update edits follow)

So, the meetup time is 5:30PM in the reservoir parking lot. This is a singlespeed ride, so either you bring your singlespeed, or you swear to only use one gear ratio for the entire ride (we will be watching your every pedal stroke ). As Rensho and others have indicated, pavement ascent, and dirt descent. Bring lights just in case we’re screwing around taking too long. Me, I’m riding to/from, so I’m bringing lights.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 07-31-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Yes.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

roadie
    who else doesn't like pants?

NONDURO
    Looks like a 5:30PM meetup time at the parking lot near the reservoir en route to the Montebello Road intersection. Remember to bring your SINGLESPEED bicycles.

I am conflicted, however, on what tire/wheel combination to bring. I’ve got my trusty 24"x3.45" cruiser slicks on 24"x2.5" fat cruiser rims, or I could pop on the 700x32 - 45c CX/XC tire/wheel combination. What would be best for a “dirt descent”? I am guessing the fat cruiser slicks would be best. I plan on going with my current 44x20 ratio setup. What setups are you all going to bring to the back-alley knife fight?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Haha.. I can't claim credit for the idea - just the inspiration!

My single speed is a road bike so I have to somehow survive the canyon trail descent - going to throw on some 30mm CX tires and see if they fit - otherwise it's 23mm slicks and full body armor! I bought a 20 freewheel so I can gear down from 42x16 to 42x20 in the hope of surviving Montebello!

There will be pain.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I'll sweep!

I've only ridden that first section of Montebello to Picchetti years ago. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    I bought a 20 freewheel so I can gear down from 42x16 to 42x20 in the hope of surviving Montebello!
    Our gearing should be about even, given the overall wheel/tire diameter differences. And yes, pain will be shared by all.

Wēk Sôs
    Fat tires, you'll enjoy the descent more. Bella Vista, White Oak, and the Canyon, I hope/presume. You can get speeds over 30mph easily, with some gravel here and there, and ruts on White Oak. Maybe delete the thread so the freakin' rangers won't come out. I've done this a number of times on my MTB. I was thinking of doing it today.

Is this thing on?

Thursday August 1, 2013 - TNGR or Ratpick’s sadistic singlespeed ride???

I'm sure I'll regret this but I'm in. Looks like its turning into a derp bike ride, bring the wrong bike for the job. We're off to a good start by using SS for a 5 mile climb. I'll bring the Chameleon running 34x20. Call me cray, but I'll be on knobbies. So slow up and fastish down. My last trip up that hill was a near death experience in 100+ degree temps.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    You guys suck. you should come out to TNGR. We'll have better beer!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    SS MTB up Montebello rd + dirt down is a pretty good loop. It works with pretty much any reasonable MTB trail gearing (I think I've done it in 52in and 46in). Being a road climb, the grade is comparatively even and mild compared to SS'ing up fire roads. The only part that is somewhat lame is the road downhill/flat sections at the end where you get spun out, but if you are starting at the reservoir then there won't be too much of that.

Road SS gearing and road or CX tires is definitely doing it the hard way. Bring lights and tubes!

I like mtn biking, too
    Idea for those starting at the gap for the regular TNGR: How about we all bring our biggest travel suspension bikes? 6" or more only. 30 lbs. minimum.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Idea for those starting at the gap for the regular TNGR: How about we all bring our biggest travel suspension bikes? 6" or more only. 30 lbs. minimum.
    Sounds like i'll bring the white bike!

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Y'all should come out and crash the SS ride.

We'll make fun of your foofoo Frenchie derailleurs on the climb, then you can taunt us like Amanda Bynes on the descent.

"Your bikes are slow AND ugly." ~ A.B./Julie

EDIT: Ack. Looks like I'm out. Have "fun".
    Last edited by dirtvert; 08-01-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    Why?

Wēk Sôs
    lol, foofoo frenchie derailleurs!

it sounds to me like you guys need to pack beers and do it up at the top of black mountain. the reservoir doesn't seem as cool for that sort of stuff. it'll also make the descents by the skinnies even more fun (bring armor too).

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ Y'all should come out and crash the SS ride.

We'll make fun of your foofoo Frenchie derailleurs on the climb, then you can taunt us like Amanda Bynes on the descent.

"Your bikes are slow AND ugly."
    Hm, this means I have to drive on 85 south at ~5pm, for a road climb, followed by the slight chance that I'll be waiting for you guys to fix all your pinch flats on the descent... It's just crazy enough of an idea to motivate me.
    Last edited by shredchic; 07-28-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: emoticon is required
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Tried to fit some 30mm tires on my SS roadie but not enough clearance. So I'll either bring the CX bike and promise not to shift or just try and wing it with 23mm slicks...

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    Tried to fit some 30mm tires on my SS roadie but not enough clearance. So I'll either bring the CX bike and promise not to shift or just try and wing it with 23mm slicks...
    You should be able to do it on 23's. I've gone down canyon on 25's on my cx bike... it got kinda sketchy on the creek crossing, but it was ok other than that.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Road tires for the descent seems like a really bad idea.

5:30 start with whiteoak? Finish in dark?

roadie
    i don't

NONDURO
    Uhh… I will be experiencing ZERO (0) pinch flats on this ride. My tire choice pretty much guarantees it.

Looking forward to Thursday– it’s going to be an awkward experience!

NONDURO
    I’ll try to bring some beers with me, but since I’m riding to and from the meetup point, I won’t have a way to keep the beers cold. If anyone will be bringing a cooler, please indicate within this thread, such that I will be able to keep said beers chilled whilst we do our fun(ky) singlespeed thing. Thanks!!!

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    Road tires for the descent seems like a really bad idea.

5:30 start with whiteoak? Finish in dark?
    So, you joining us or what? Would be great to ride with you again!

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    So, you joining us or what? Would be great to ride with you again!
    I'll be there. May need a lift home from someone.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post
    I'll be there. May need a lift home from someone.
    I’m riding to/from the meetup point, otherwise I’d give you a lift… unless you want to ride back with me. I believe you’re somewhere near Los Gatos, yes? I’ll be passing through there possibly on my way back to San Jose. Bring bike lights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast