Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Threads getting moved (for Norcal riders)

I am seeing that almost all my threads are being moved to channels I don't follow. That's cool but I only watch Norcal so moving these threads means I am no longer involved. I really just want to engage with people in my region...they are my peeps. Is there a reason why this is happening? If it's just policy, I suppose it is what it is but imagine I won't be posting up new threads other than Dogmeat Challenge and Demo reports. Can we please stop that practice if I put Norcal in the title?
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    I agree. While I understand why some have been moved and some merged, it's hard to follow and sometimes loses the intent of the poster.
    Let's kick ass!

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    It's generally a balance of rule vs. angry requests from members to keep the forum MTB NorCal-centric.

The NorCal section is special in that there really is a unique community vibe that isn't quite there in the other regional forums. We want to maintain that as much as possible but some threads really just don't fit or they are marginal enough that some members request the threads get moved. Tough to balance for sure. :/

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just have all your thread titles be

Best tires for Downiville?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    It's generally a balance of rule vs. angry requests from members to keep the forum MTB NorCal-centric.

The NorCal section is special in that there really is a unique community vibe that isn't quite there in the other regional forums. We want to maintain that as much as possible but some threads really just don't fit or they are marginal enough that some members request the threads get moved. Tough to balance for sure. :/
    "Angry requests from members", "some members"...don't you really mean one member in particular?

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    "Angry requests from members", "some members"...don't you really mean one member in particular?
    Haha no. I pretty much ignore those requests unless they are legit.

mtbr member
    Why don't these nutballs just join our conversation? I really only have time to follow Norcal so moving these is removing me (audible sigh of relief from the MTBR community).

I guess there is always Facebook but this has always been a nice home for me over the years. sad face.

Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Why don't these nutballs just join our conversation? I really only have time to follow Norcal so moving these is removing me (audible sigh of relief from the MTBR community).

I guess there is always Facebook but this has always been a nice home for me over the years. sad face.
    Agreed and we don't want to lose you. Well, fc might but that's another story.

Trail Gnome

At least you figured it out squashyo...we were getting ready to ro-sham-bo, to see which one of us was going to delete your account

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    It all started when the speaker thing blew up.

#notrailmusic

Wēk Ss
    Because Norcal peeps are ....

https://youtu.be/Hx_m7Y9nGtU

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

:/
    Do people really get angry enough to request Keto Diet Threads gets moved to the XC racing and training forum?

Is it possible to set-up some kind of filter for all the angry forum readers where they wouldn't be burdened by having to read about latest diet technology?

Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    Do people really get angry enough to request Keto Diet Threads gets moved to the XC racing and training forum?

Is it possible to set-up some kind of filter for all the angry forum readers where they wouldn't be burdened by having to read about latest diet technology?
    The only filter I know of. It is effective though! I wish I could prescribe it but alas, I am not a real doctor. I just play one on tv.
    Threads getting moved (for Norcal riders)-xanax-2.jpg

mtbr member
    One too many Fleshlight shout outs...

mtbr member
    I am with squashyo in this one. I like to post only in Norcal. I have not ridden with many people, but through the different threads I kinda know how/where many people ride, and that makes many threads much more relevant to me.

Just ask him to give you the batteries of the speakers and stop moving the threads!

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    MTBR is a HUUUUGE Site with specifc areas for specific discussions. The Regional Forums are designed for users to interact with other users form their area about regional specific things. Local Trails, local trail access issues, ride meet ups, etc.

When you post a drivetrain specific thread in a regional section, it gets moved to Drivetrain, why? The same reason it would get moved if it was created in the General Section or the Brake Time section or the Wheels and Tires section. That is where a user will get the most help and it is where users should be looking for similar topics. Users who are browsing specific sections of the site should be able to pick a section and browse and see all the best content there is on said subject.

It would not make any more sense to post something about a wheel set or brakes or Shocks n suspension on any other regional, so why is NorCal different? The clear answer is it is not. Now FC can do what he wants because he owns this site and if it is his prerogative to make this site more confusing for new users, there is nothing we can do about it. But FC plays by his own rules because he owns the site, no one else does.

Give a really compelling reason to not move something and put it in the appropriate section and I will listen. But note this argument would have to work in Arizona, Florida or Western Canada Regional Sections as well.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    All due respect but it was never like that before just recently and Norcal became a home to a lot of passionate users/friends who just want to talk about everything/anything. As mentioned, plenty of other places to strike up a conversation with like minded wing-nuts but sad to see this destination becoming less relevant for my use and enjoyment.

mtbr member
    I'm fine if you guys move the never ending "what tires for __" into the tires forum.

Does this also mean you're finally going to clean up Passion forum and remove all the useless sh*t people post there? It really has tuned into the general topics forum. Probably only 1 in 5 threads should be there. The rest are just crap that has "Passion" in the title.

mtbr member

A compelling reason? Why it has more value the whining pm of a user than the opinion of the OP and the 20 users that replied to the OP? It is up to you how you manage the usage of the site, as much as it is for the users when it is compelling or not to post.

I recently asked about bikes here and I learned a lot because I knew the context of the responses. I would have never opened that thread in a general section. But that is just me

Also....the references to the socks sound weird when you read them in a general section, once the thread has been moved. LoL

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I'm fine if you guys move the never ending "what tires for __" into the tires forum.

Does this also mean you're finally going to clean up Passion forum and remove all the useless sh*t people post there? It really has tuned into the general topics forum. Probably only 1 in 5 threads should be there. The rest are just crap that has "Passion" in the title.
    I have been trying to keep it cleaned up, take a lot of work to read all those threads and make a decision.

There have been a few very good threads here in NorCal that have ZERO local substance and best serve the Entire MTBR community by being somewhere else.

NorCal is not the only place on this forum to get information and many times new users look in the correct spots first, search those locations for a question they might have and then start a thread that is duplicated here in NorCal. That makes no sense at all.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    MTBR is a HUUUUGE Site with specifc areas for specific discussions. The Regional Forums are designed for users to interact with other users form their area about regional specific things. Local Trails, local trail access issues, ride meet ups, etc.
    I'm with squashyo on this one. I've posted a couple times to other threads seeking region-specific input (see, for example, my posts on places to ride/camp between SF and Colorado). I got much better responses from users in the NorCal forum than in the others.

This particular sub-forum is particularly active, as it feels like a social club more than a bunch of random dudes and dudettes on the internet. Threads like the camper van one got thousands of views and back-and forth here. Now that it's moved to the van sub-forum, it's dead. And I was just about to convince squashyo to buy my Eurovan, dammit.

Ban all the "what's the best _____ for NorCal" threads before moving lively discussions between local peeps, IMHO.

mtbr member

The eurovan is sold as VW California in Europe so it fits the cut. How many miles/years?

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    2002, 111k, zero rust, and I've replaced almost everything on it other than the engine. I'm only kind of kidding, but my wife would sell it out from under me in a heartbeat for the right price.

mtbr member

Hehe, I was sure of that. I probably will go back to Europe next year, so I will miss my 4runner + 6 bikes NSR rack. Not legal in Europe, we are 5 at home and with the european system hauling 4 is already a miracle. European cars seem so small now after 3 years here...so I have been looking at vw vans for the last two weeks.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    If you're going to Europe, try to find a diesel 5-speed Eurovan in Canada, import it to the U.S. for the six weeks or whatever you can, then ship it back to Europe with you. 30 mpg, tons of torque, no jetta-transmission-in-a-5,500-pound-commercial-van to deal with.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    If you're going to Europe, try to find a diesel 5-speed Eurovan in Canada, import it to the U.S. for the six weeks or whatever you can, then ship it back to Europe with you. 30 mpg, tons of torque, no jetta-transmission-in-a-5,500-pound-commercial-van to deal with.
    Mmmmnnnn, will take a look thx for the advice !

It must be a fairly new van. There are proposals to ban 20 yr old vehicles and you need to comply with low emissions laws. Still worthy to check. Vw is not cheap there

I didn't do it
    Sending active threads to narrowly focused subforums does nothing but kills them. Just let people start threads in this and other forums if they wish. Many regional and other forums are their own unique communities and therefore should have their own threads, even if a similar thread exists in another but unrelated forum. And for crying out loud please stop merging threads.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Sending active threads to narrowly focused subforums does nothing but kills them. Just let people start threads in this and other forums if they wish. Many regional and other forums are their own unique communities and therefore should have their own threads, even if a similar thread exists in another but unrelated forum. And for crying out loud please stop merging threads.
    I agree with you here. Threads that get relocated often end up dying off, not always...just usually.

Here's an idea...how about we leave the threads in the NorCal forum, or whatever forum they start in. If they are completely out of place, they can be relocated...or a link can be placed in the thread the Mods want to move it to (that's you Klurejr)

I'm only a mod in the NorCal forum, so I really can't do much regarding other forums. Maybe if fc ups my status, I can start rocking the boat.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    I have been trying to keep it cleaned up, take a lot of work to read all those threads and make a decision.

There have been a few very good threads here in NorCal that have ZERO local substance and best serve the Entire MTBR community by being somewhere else.

NorCal is not the only place on this forum to get information and many times new users look in the correct spots first, search those locations for a question they might have and then start a thread that is duplicated here in NorCal. That makes no sense at all.
    This is kind of what cross-posting is designed for, no?

mtbr member
    Or move them for future reference once the debate is over

I didn't do it
    I agree with you here. Threads that get relocated often end up dying off, not always...just usually.

Here's an idea...how about we leave the threads in the NorCal forum, or whatever forum they start in. If they are completely out of place, they can be relocated...or a link can be placed in the thread the Mods want to move it to (that's you Klurejr)

I'm only a mod in the NorCal forum, so I really can't do much regarding other forums. Maybe if fc ups my status, I can start rocking the boat.
    Something like this would be good policy. If threads are doing fine where they start just keep them there. One of the nice features of some of the forums is that its a group of people who are familiar with each other and so banter among them is something like chatting with your friends. It could be about the Tour, frames or whatever. Active threads such as these should just stay put.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    I am hereby posting in this thread in order to issue a formal complaint that because this thread is about non-NorCal related threads, it is not relevant enough to stay in Norcal forum, and should therefore be moved post haste. Immediately cease and desist all further activity and move it to the appropriate designated location. Please move along, nothing to see here. That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by skyno; 6 Days Ago at 04:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    mtbr has so many forums, that even the slackerest cannot monitor all of them. if you want to research a specific item, people use the search feature instead of reading through every thread in a particular forum.

imho, the intent behind most norcal threads is community discussion with relatively known people. sure, some threads are actually location specific - but the key is having a basis for people's responses. without that, responses/opinions are just some random person or bot from the internet, and with the volume of users, requires even more time to filter responses and research their validity.

for most other regional forums, the activity is so limited, that they are actually used for destination specific topics.

some folks like to have discussions with random people, given time it can be quite interesting, but for daily life, i'd prefer relevant info from vetted sources and then go ride.

after all, where else can you learn about too much front brake?

Trail Gnome
    Anything look familiar here???

Why did the Dropper threads get moved?

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    A big red signature block telling people to read the rules?

Wait, there are rules to this place?

mbtr member
    --MTBR has waaaaaay too many forums, and the moderators' solution to this is to open up even more forums. It's equal parts hilarious and ridiculous. If i had any authority i'd close 60% of the forums immediately, and never open a forum that's gonna become outdated as soon as the next MTB fad takes place.

--If a user has navigated through 50 forums to post down at the bottom in Norcal... they're gonna be fkn pissed when it gets shuffled off to one of the dead forums.

--the Norcal forum is a community. That's why i don't participate here, which is OK. I lurk for trail information though.

Almost all moderation i see i'm like 'wtf well that's worse.' At the same time mtbr seems to get hit with more troll advertising than anyone.
    I like cheap stuff that works great and is very sturdy.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    this should be moved to the ebike forum.

Trail Gnome
    A big red signature block telling people to read the rules?

Wait, there are rules to this place?
    Keep in mind that he has been an active member on the forum since 2006, that's 5 years longer than me. He also has been a moderator, waaay longer than I have...in fact, fc just told me the other day that I wasn't a good mod
    The forum does need some sort of organization, and control...otherwise, who is going to clean up all spam when North Korea attacks again?

Trail Gnome
    I am seeing that almost all my threads are being moved to channels I don't follow. That's cool but I only watch Norcal so moving these threads means I am no longer involved. I really just want to engage with people in my region...they are my peeps. Is there a reason why this is happening? If it's just policy, I suppose it is what it is but imagine I won't be posting up new threads other than Dogmeat Challenge and Demo reports. Can we please stop that practice if I put Norcal in the title?
    You might get some socks outta this thread, if it doesn't get moved

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Keep in mind that he has been an active member on the forum since 2006, that's 5 years longer than me. He also has been a moderator, waaay longer than I have...in fact, fc just told me the other day that I wasn't a good mod
    The forum does need some sort of organization, and control...otherwise, who is going to clean up all spam when North Korea attacks again?
    So who has been moving the threads? You or Klurejr? I see you posting around here all the time, and get the feeling you understand squashyo's contributions to the forum. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't say the same for Klurejr.

It seems like people in NorCal do a good job of not being obnoxious, and even self-regulating. Not sure why we need intervention of the thread-moving sort. If a thread sucks, it goes away after a day or two.

Trail Gnome
    ^^^I'm not moving the threads but, users need to show a little respect towards a Mod who has been on the forum for 11 years. I don't agree with everything that's going on but, I'm just a guy with 711mm bars, a mullet bike, and griz pro knee pads

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Moving, editing, or deleting posts are censorship. And this one was caused by a whiny forum member merely asking?!?

I look forward to meeting & riding with most of you someday, but this is a weird place to hang out.

Catfish ...

Wēk Ss
    You might get some socks outta this thread, if it doesn't get moved
    He probably has too many MTBR socks already. You can skip him.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    ^^^I'm not moving the threads but, users need to show a little respect towards a Mod who has been on the forum for 11 years. I don't agree with everything that's going on but, I'm just a guy with 711mm bars, a mullet bike, and griz pro knee pads
    There's no disrespect in anything I'm saying. I notice that Klurejr has a signature block pointing out the rules. That's...odd, at least in a completely voluntary internet forum full (at least in NorCal) of mostly agreeable human beings. The thread moving has been weird to the point that I've started to notice it, and you pointed out the common thread here.

What I'm saying is that things seem to be working okay without all the thread moving, and I'm not sure the supermoderator is as connected to the NorCal forum as others, and might inquire as to whether these threads really need to be moved before taking action to put them in the place that s/he thinks is best for MTBR.com as a whole.

And with that, I'll go back to talking about Eurovans.

mtbr member

Yup, back to the point, how many bikes can you haul with your eurovan? How do mtb fit inside?

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by motocatfish View Post
    Moving, editing, or deleting posts are censorship. And this one was caused by a whiny forum member merely asking?!?

I look forward to meeting & riding with most of you someday, but this is a weird place to hang out.

Catfish ...
    Come on Catfish, I know you're damaged goods too...all those concussions from moto crashes...grab a beer and hang out for a while

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-KR View Post
    Yup, back to the point, how many bikes can you haul with your eurovan?
    4 off the back, but the departure angle with the low-mounted tow bar and a long Kuat rack gets pretty bad. I wouldn't think about putting holes in the pop-top roof to mount roof bars and tray racks at this point - 15 years in, you wonder how strong the plastic parts are.

The real question is how many beers fit in the built-in fridge. The answer is more than 24.

Trail Blazer
    Make MTBR NorCal great again!

mtbr member
    Ok the kids will have to take turns, and one will stay at home each time. The beers will come !!

I can picture myself in that van...

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-KR View Post
    Ok the kids will have to take turns, and one will stay at home each time. The beers will come !!

I can picture myself in that van...
    How many kids do you have? The EVC has 4 seatbelts. I guess whichever kid has been acting up lately gets to ride on the floor with the fifth bike (no problem fitting a long wheelbase 29er in the van).

mtbr member

2 adults + 3 kids, 4 26" and 1 24". The vans i see have 2+2+3 with rails in the floor so I can remove the second row and fit luggage + 1 bike in the cargo area

Also good for solo missions, sleeping by the side of the bike with no rack

Trail Gnome
    That's it...everyone is done bitching???

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Some of this sounds like the goals of this whole forum aren't always consistent.

I mostly pay attention to this board. FC started this site before Social Media existed, at least the nor cal forum had many of the traits current Social Medical platforms. Communities, hyper current news updates, race reports, race results, arguments meet ups. FC really messed up by making a mtb specific site, now he's driving a Toyota or subie like the rest of us Schmoes.

I think most regulars sort of know who everyone else is too. If someone says my bike is dope or not we mostly have some idea what kind of person is saying that.

At least for me, taking away the generic threads which aren't "Nor cal" focused will take away a big part of why I read this forum.

Is this goal of the site to always make it easiest for a new users to find the thread on which is best Minion, minion, minion clone 1, minion clone 6, or allow regular readers a place to converse.

I'm members of some other forums, where the whole board is really strict about a starting new "what should I do?" Thread. It isn't a very fun place to participate in conversations. It's a good place to find information.

One model is more Wikipedia, the other is more of a hangout.

mtbr member
    Ahhh - Griz is bored - will somebody please poke this bear - wait, that came out wrong

On 2nd thought - go to sleep - I need you fresh for Toad's!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My thread on this topic the other day was deleted. MTBR mods are classic hall monitors.

mtbr member
    I guess all I am really saying is,

mtbr member
    It would not make any more sense to post something about a wheel set or brakes or Shocks n suspension on any other regional, so why is NorCal different?

Give a really compelling reason to not move something and put it in the appropriate section and I will listen. But note this argument would have to work in Arizona, Florida or Western Canada Regional Sections as well.
    The reason why I would be compelled to post up a general question like that in the norcal forum is because I ""know"" a lot of the active members on here and therefore have built up a sense of trust (or distrust, depending on the user) in what they have to say. If someone gives me a suggestion on suspension set up here in the norcal forum and I know what type of rider they are and what type of trails they normally ride, I am going to be way more likely to take their advise compared to that of a completely random user in another forum.

Plus, I don't go on any other sections of mtbr other than Norcal, so once the thread gets moved I no longer see any of the proceeding posts, even if it was a topic I was interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    The reason why I would be compelled to post up a general question like that in the norcal forum is because I ""know"" a lot of the active members on here and therefore have built up a sense of trust (or distrust, depending on the user) in what they have to say. If someone gives me a suggestion on suspension set up here in the norcal forum and I know what type of rider they are and what type of trails they normally ride, I am going to be way more likely to take their advise compared to that of a completely random user in another forum.

Plus, I don't go on any other sections of mtbr other than Norcal, so once the thread gets moved I no longer see any of the proceeding posts, even if it was a topic I was interested in.
    Makes sense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    it would be G-dam poetic justice if this thread got moved.

i think the "Norcal" strategically shoe-horned into the title my secure it tho..
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Why don't you visit the other areas of this forum? What would compel you to be more active on more of the site? These are honest questions.

There is so much more to the MTBR forums than just the NorCal Regional Section.

Also, someone mentioned cross-posting..... That is actually a no-no according to the site guidelines. Which I did not write.

Overall, when users insist on discussing things that are not Specifically a regional issue in a regional sub-forum, they are doing a disservice to other users who never venture into NorCal. There could be a fantastic discourse here about Hubs or internally routed Dropper post cables, but a Member from New York or Florida or Europe might never see it because they were looking in the wheels n Tires Section or Components section, or they just stuck to their regional forum.

One of the Goals of a site like MTBR is to be a trusted resource for all things Mountain Bike, and being able to come to a site that has specific forums dedicated to specific brands or components or accessories and browse said forums without having to run a site-wide search is a benefit, especially to a new user or a user who is not good at Searching.

I get that you have a community of people you trust, but there are a number of users who are very knowledgeable and willing to help who make a point of spending time in the Brands, Components and Accessories sub-forums.

There are some occasions where these topics might cross over and asking a question in a regional might make more sense. I have not touched any threads like that.

My recommendation to many of the users here is to venture outside of NorCal once in a while. The waters are fine and the members who hangout in the other sections won't bite you. You might be surprised at how much good info and interesting topics exist outside of this Regional Forum.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post

i think the "Norcal" strategically shoe-horned into the title my secure it tho..
    considering this thread is specifically about threads being moved out of NorCal, I cannot think of a better place for it to exist.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    Norcal forum be like

mtbr member
    Norcal forum be like

God, I forgot just how cheesy that was!
    Let's kick ass!

As a veteran of many racing and vehicle-specific forums I get where they are coming from when members say this is the only section they visit. Once a member has learned most of what they think they need to know about MTBing and don't need any equipment upgrades they tend to lose interest in the other areas of the forum. How many times do you want to read newbie posts like "what tires is best" or what kind of bike should I buy"? Most people will lose interest with the site altogether and stop visiting. In the NorCal section we have built up camaraderie with familiarity and members stay.

I've been through a lot of the other regional forums and they are not quite as active or close-knit it appears. I have often thought about ways we could make those sections more active like NorCal. Sure it would likely take bending some off-topic rules but in the end it would increase participation and site clicks which is beneficial to everyone. Unfortunately thinking about it is as far as I've got. I have been meaning to talk to fc and the other folks in charge to get their opinions but life happens....

Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post

I thought about it. Just to be an a$$.

I have been meaning to talk to fc and the other folks in charge to get their opinions but life happens....
    fc and I actually had a good conversation about this and some other things yesterday. we should get some dialog going in the Mods forums.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

fc and I actually had a good conversation about this and some other things yesterday. we should get some dialog going in the Mods forums.
    Fantastic! That's why I like you guys.

mtbr member
    Why don't you visit the other areas of this forum? What would compel you to be more active on more of the site? These are honest questions.

Also, someone mentioned cross-posting..... That is actually a no-no according to the site guidelines. Which I did not write.

Overall, when users insist on discussing things that are not Specifically a regional issue in a regional sub-forum, they are doing a disservice to other users who never venture into NorCal. There could be a fantastic discourse here about Hubs or internally routed Dropper post cables, but a Member from New York or Florida or Europe might never see it because they were looking in the wheels n Tires Section or Components section, or they just stuck to their regional forum.

One of the Goals of a site like MTBR is to be a trusted resource for all things Mountain Bike, and being able to come to a site that has specific forums dedicated to specific brands or components or accessories and browse said forums without having to run a site-wide search is a benefit, especially to a new user or a user who is not good at Searching.

I get that you have a community of people you trust, but there are a number of users who are very knowledgeable and willing to help who make a point of spending time in the Brands, Components and Accessories sub-forums.

There are some occasions where these topics might cross over and asking a question in a regional might make more sense. I have not touched any threads like that.

My recommendation to many of the users here is to venture outside of NorCal once in a while. The waters are fine and the members who hangout in the other sections won't bite you. You might be surprised at how much good info and interesting topics exist outside of this Regional Forum.
    I hate to sound like a jerk but.... you're just wrong.

Why continue to fight the user base to make our experience worse?

The NorCal MTBR community is large, very active and full of wonderful people with endless bicycle knowledge. As others have pointed out, when you post here you have context in the responses and there's a certain level of trust in the information you receive.

MTBR NorCal is the essence of what a community should be, and you're trying to dilute it.

Again, as others have pointed out, you're largely moving threads to dead forums. We're not interested in trying to revive dead forums. Almost everyone in this community is a working adult with limited free time; you're not going to convince anyone to cruise around the expansive aggregate of MTBR forums attempting to link together NorCal-specific topics - they just die, which has happened over and over.

Just let most of the threads stay here. It's the simplest solution, it's the best solution. It requires some judgment from the mods/admins but zero-tolerance policies never work out.

Edit: One thing I forgot to point out that's very important is that almost nobody BROWSES the forums to find answers. They search on google. The MTBR search function is awful. So in that respect, it doesn't matter what sub the threads are in. People type "best brake pads mtbr" and google lists relevant topics regardless of sub.

mtbr member
    Moving threads is a great way to get people to stop posting! just another reason the forums are dying....
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Moving threads is a great way to get people to stop posting! just another reason the forums are dying....
    Stop saying that!

We have a fix...
    Name:  Miracle-Max-and-His-Wife-the-princess-bride-53260_500_276.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  23.1 KB

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post

Edit: One thing I forgot to point out that's very important is that almost nobody BROWSES the forums to find answers. They search on google. The MTBR search function is awful. So in that respect, it doesn't matter what sub the threads are in. People type "best brake pads mtbr" and google lists relevant topics regardless of sub.
    Agreed.

Oh, but the forum search tool rocks if you are looking for fun trails that nobody can talk about anymore, and have the time and willingness to read. The internet memory is deep

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Hey cool, the strava thread, which included discussion of local steep hills and Strava's mapping technology (including some really long and educated posts) just got moved. Let's do a science experiment and see if the visits and posts drop off once it gets moved to whatever sub-sub-sub-forum hosts Strava data technology. FYI, Strava's offices are here in NorCal (in SF on Third).

Honestly, the local mods have a handle on things. JCWages and Griz do a great job of starting and sustaining conversations. What happened that brought about all this thread moving?

The NorCal MTBR community is large, very active and full of wonderful people with endless bicycle knowledge. As others have pointed out, when you post here you have context in the responses and there's a certain level of trust in the information you receive.

MTBR NorCal is the essence of what a community should be, and you're trying to dilute it.
    So what you are saying is we should get rid of the other forums and just have everyone post in NorCal? Honestly asking here.

You say I am wrong, but really I just have a different viewpoint of organization than you and a few other users do.

To say users do not browse the forums is something you cannot substantiate by fact. I am not sure if the analytics allow for fc to see how users are moving around the forums, but I know I do browse, I browse multiple different sections of this site, maybe that is partly due to my moderation duties and scanning for threads that have the potential to get out of hand.

Do you ever go shopping at a grocery store? Have you ever found milk in the middle of the Produce section? DO you instinctively look for Frozen food in the shampoo aisle?

That is how I look at a forum, there are specific sections for specific topics, so when I am looking to browse a certain topic, I go to that section and look to see if there is something there that catches my eye. I do not believe for one min that I am the only person who does this. Obviously not everyone does it, but there should be some balance right?

I do agree the search function is difficult to use, and perhaps there should be a tutorial up with instructions on how to site search mtbr from google, that is something I have seen some other forums put up to help users.

One thing we are actively working on is identifying sections of the site that really are not being used and moving that content or merging it with others to help make the overall site more user friendly. If you have any ideas in that regard please do share them.

And just a FYI, when something is moved into the General Forum it gets the most eyes as that section has more visitors everyday than the NorCal section does.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    One thing we are actively working on is identifying sections of the site that really are not being used and moving that content or merging it with others to help make the overall site more user friendly. If you have any ideas in that regard please do share them.

And just a FYI, when something is moved into the General Forum it gets the most eyes as that section has more visitors everyday than the NorCal section does.
    What this says to me (and I think others in this thread) is that MTBR is willing to cannibalize the NorCal sub-forum to bump traffic in other parts of the site. If that's the goal, then so be it - but be up front beforehand with what the mods are doing and why. The thread moving, and the repeated explanations (after the fact) that we should shut up and be happy feels heavy handed.

Now that I'm off the soap box, a couple proposed alternatives. Why not post in the thread and ask if it should stay local before moving it? Or add a link from the thread to the "appropriate" forum (yes, I get it, cross-posting is not allowed, but this is the point of allowing cross-posting), letting local NorCal folks feel as if it is a local conversation?

mtbr member
    Weekend and weekday ride reports should be moved to general because it's not fair to everyone across America who are presumably riding.

What this says to me (and I think others in this thread) is that MTBR is willing to cannibalize the NorCal sub-forum to bump traffic in other parts of the site. If that's the goal, then so be it - but be up front beforehand with what the mods are doing and why. The thread moving, and the repeated explanations (after the fact) that we should shut up and be happy feels heavy handed.
    That is not at all the intention. Trying to create a user friendly space for all and cannibalization are not the same thing, but i certainly understand how you and some users see it. I know that is not the intent of any mod, myself included.
    The intent, at least on my part, was not to slap hands, but rather to try and get more eyes on a topic by moving it to a more relevant location, keep it better organized. I apologize if you felt like the mods were disciplining you in some way.

Now that I'm off the soap box, a couple proposed alternatives. Why not post in the thread and ask if it should stay local before moving it? Or add a link from the thread to the "appropriate" forum (yes, I get it, cross-posting is not allowed, but this is the point of allowing cross-posting), letting local NorCal folks feel as if it is a local conversation?
    Actually cross posting might be allowed for this reason, That rule was in place to prevent people spamming for more attention, etc, etc. fc and I are discussing it offline and trying to come up with a good compromise. Perhaps there is a way with some of the software tools to enable post sharing between 2 area? I am not sure, I do not have access to the backend.

If I post in the thread and ask if it can be moved... will anyone ever say yes? Honestly?

This is good dialog, feedback from the community is always welcomed.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Why are there any other forums but for NorCal? Who needs it? MTB is a NorCal sport.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    That is not at all the intention. Trying to create a user friendly space for all and cannibalization are not the same thing, but i certainly understand how you and some users see it. I know that is not the intent of any mod, myself included.
    The intent, at least on my part, was not to slap hands, but rather to try and get more eyes on a topic by moving it to a more relevant location, keep it better organized. I apologize if you felt like the mods were disciplining you in some way.
    There's a balance, to be sure. But the movement of threads seems to be of the more high-quality ones, rather than anything OT. Hence the cannibalization comment.

I don't feel disciplined (my threads, few as they are, haven't been moved). Just turned off by some colorful conversations getting bumped over to places where the locals don't go.

Cross-posting, if you have to do it, seems like the best solution. But a better one, IMHO, would be to let us keep playing in our sandbox of bitching about overgrade fire roads and whether or not HitG is open.

Air Pirate
    And here I was thinking the "MTB License Plate" thread was moved out of the Nor Cal forum because I used it to disrespect Pliny. I was sure FC threw it over the fence for that reason alone.

Name:  license_20170712080949_57171.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  16.3 KB

Now I find out there are rules. Go figure!
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I agree. While I understand why some have been moved and some merged, it's hard to follow and sometimes loses the intent of the poster.
    100% agree.
    It's an epidemic. Once a thread is moved or merged with other threads it's doomed.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    He probably has too many MTBR socks already. You can skip him.
    For the record, I have yet to receive any swag from MTBR and socks are the very last thing in the world that I need. FC did let me take a few old tires from his tire mountain pile last year though...that was cool.

Cross-posting, if you have to do it, seems like the best solution. But a better one, IMHO, would be to let us keep playing in our sandbox of bitching about overgrade fire roads and whether or not HitG is open.
    I am going to try a few things.

BTW - Discussion about local trails is certainly on-topic for a regional forum.... were some conversations like that moved?

The ones I have moved in the past were specifically NOT related to anything in the NorCal locality and were either specific to a brand, component or otherwise a general MTB discussion. I would never move a trail discussion.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    I am going to try a few things.

BTW - Discussion about local trails is certainly on-topic for a regional forum.... were some conversations like that moved?

The ones I have moved in the past were specifically NOT related to anything in the NorCal locality and were either specific to a brand, component or otherwise a general MTB discussion. I would never move a trail discussion.
    Well, the Strava thread was talking about perceptions of steep local climbs vs. what Strava said about them.

And the Taco Envy thread is still here, while the Norcal van thread got moved.

Long story short, seems like we're reacting to a change in how things are administered, which appears counterproductive and random. It's a free site and we get what we pay for, but is anyone saying that the threads moving is a good thing?

mtbr member
    It's a free site and we get what we pay for, but is anyone saying that the threads moving is a good thing?
    It's a downer. I like the robust engagement from my Norcal brethren. I have no time for the other channels unless Google points me that way for something specific.

Threads I started here kicked ass and then died when moved. How is that a good thing?

Wēk Ss
    For the record, I have yet to receive any swag from MTBR and socks are the very last thing in the world that I need. FC did let me take a few old tires from his tire mountain pile last year though...that was cool.
    That sucks. FC needs to pimp you out. New tires would be nice though, something lathered in goop doesn't sound appealing....unless goop is what you're into.

Well, the Strava thread was talking about perceptions of steep local climbs vs. what Strava said about them.

And the Taco Envy thread is still here, while the Norcal van thread got moved.

Long story short, seems like we're reacting to a change in how things are administered, which appears counterproductive and random. It's a free site and we get what we pay for, but is anyone saying that the threads moving is a good thing?
    I took the time to read in each of those threads before just moving them. The Van thread fit better in car n biker and got a number of replies once moved. Nothing in that thread was specific to NorCal, SoCal or any other region.

The Strava one was the same, just because he mentioned a trail did not mean the entire discussion was about a trail, it was about how Strava rated Grades in General.

Taco Envy was started by fc - mods have a habit of not touching other mods posts.

I certainly think moving them is a good thing as it keeps the local regional sections filled with local regional topics and does not push those down off the main page of a region in favor of a thread about learning how to jump better..... But I digress. Lets see how cross-posting works.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    And here I was thinking the "MTB License Plate" thread was moved out of the Nor Cal forum because I used it to disrespect Pliny. I was sure FC threw it over the fence for that reason alone.

...and over the fence it still needs to go!
    Let's kick ass!

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    I took the time to read in each of those threads before just moving them. The Van thread fit better in car n biker and got a number of replies once moved. Nothing in that thread was specific to NorCal, SoCal or any other region.

The Strava one was the same, just because he mentioned a trail did not mean the entire discussion was about a trail, it was about how Strava rated Grades in General.

Taco Envy was started by fc - mods have a habit of not touching other mods posts.

I certainly think moving them is a good thing as it keeps the local regional sections filled with local regional topics and does not push those down off the main page of a region in favor of a thread about learning how to jump better..... But I digress. Lets see how cross-posting works.
    Respectfully, I think you are in the very small minority, and are ignoring 80+ posts that are uniformly in opposition. Re-read your last paragraph and see if the NorCal main page is really in need of a cleansing.

As for not moving the Taco thread just because it was started by fc...sorry, but no. Treat your users (one might even go so far as to say "customers") with the same respect and deference, until they've earned a talking-to or a timeout.

I keep falling back on the fact that the NorCal boards are really self-regulating. Low-quality posts drop off the first page in a few days, and people (playfully but effectively) mock the repetitive "what tire is best for Skeggs 2.3 days after a heavy fog event" threads. Unless there's a ton of action going on behind the scenes here, all this intervention seems unnecessary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So what you are saying is we should get rid of the other forums and just have everyone post in NorCal? Honestly asking here.

You say I am wrong, but really I just have a different viewpoint of organization than you and a few other users do.

To say users do not browse the forums is something you cannot substantiate by fact. I am not sure if the analytics allow for fc to see how users are moving around the forums, but I know I do browse, I browse multiple different sections of this site, maybe that is partly due to my moderation duties and scanning for threads that have the potential to get out of hand.

Do you ever go shopping at a grocery store? Have you ever found milk in the middle of the Produce section? DO you instinctively look for Frozen food in the shampoo aisle?

That is how I look at a forum, there are specific sections for specific topics, so when I am looking to browse a certain topic, I go to that section and look to see if there is something there that catches my eye. I do not believe for one min that I am the only person who does this. Obviously not everyone does it, but there should be some balance right?

I do agree the search function is difficult to use, and perhaps there should be a tutorial up with instructions on how to site search mtbr from google, that is something I have seen some other forums put up to help users.

Your grocery store analogy is perfect! But you got it wrong. NorCal is like a neighborhood grocery store. We have a little bit of everything. Moving threads out of NorCal is like telling us a basic product is no longer in stock and we need to find it at main warehouse 25 miles away. Sure, we could do that but it defeats the purpose of the neighborhood grocery store. Customers will find an alternative to fill the void.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    We are all adults here correct? What's the big deal with letting any thread anywhere run its course. Seems kind of childish to be moving and merging threads in my opinion. If a thread bothers you don't reply to it, pretty simple stuff really.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    sorry, but if you don't move fc's threads you shouldn't be moving anyone's threads.

he surely posts here for the same reason other people do.

jrm
    mtbr member

Because local knowledge, terrain and equipment

Can be and ARE specific to any particular region due to rider base, climate and seasonal riding conditions...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It sounds like mtbr needs to upgrade with some AI to make an awesome thread filter. Then everyone can find all the awesome threads hanging out in the NorCal forum.

default title
    Mar 2008
    MTBR as a whole is a national/international forum site.

The other way to look at location based forums/social media would be the BARF model - Forums are generic, userbase is local to the bay area.

I'm not saying that BARF has it right, it duplicates the same information throughout different forum websites, it's just flipped from the MTBR (and large subreddit Reddit) model.

I think it does go back to how well you trust your fellow forum members. I'll watch some of the brand specific forums on MTBR infrequently but I don't touch general ones. I sometimes filter users that are trolls and the general forums would make this more of a hassle (I wouldn't want to use reputation to auto filter).
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post

That was funny !

Crazed Country Rebel

The owner of MTBR constantly posts threads on BBQ's, cars, racks etc. You'd think if it's ok for him - that it would be ok for us.

It would be great if you guys could establish one set of rules for every one - not separate rules for those in the "in group" - and another set for every one else.

My vote is allow Norcal to have some OT content - as we are all well acquainted and like to talk amongst ourselves.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member

I lied, I actually will occasionally visit the other areas of the forums if I am looking for specific information. For example, before I bought my Commencal I read a bunch of stuff in that section, and before I changed my e*13 cranks I read stuff in that section. But this only happens on a need to know basis, unlike my NorCal thread visits which are frequent and rarely to gain valuable information, but more for casual entertainment. I like reading ride reports of local trails, and reading the discussions/arguments started in this section.

I'm sure there are discussions in the general sections that are interesting too, but to be honest there is more than enough content here in the NorCal forums to keep me occupied in my free time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    The owner of MTBR constantly posts threads on BBQ's, cars, racks etc. You'd think if it's ok for him - that it would be ok for us.

It would be great if you guys could establish one set of rules for every one - not separate rules for those in the "in group" - and another set for every one else.

My vote is allow Norcal to have some OT content - as we are all well acquainted and like to talk amongst ourselves.
    QFT. It's ridiculous that fc gets held to a different posting standard. One set of rules for all.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    QFT. It's ridiculous that fc gets held to a different posting standard. One set of rules for all.

One set of of rules for sure. I'm not on a different standard since my threads are getting moved too.

For years, I've been fighting to have regional forums like Norcal to have more leeway in terms of posting content. It's all about context with people we know and most topics have a regional element anyway.... drivetrain, beer, food, tires, destinations.

That's why Norcal forum is 20+ times the size of the Socal forum. Because we know each other and really share info.

Anyway, Kluejr and I have been discussing this since yesterday. Very, very good feedback from you guys so far and we're close to a resolution. But keep the feedback coming.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Accuse me of sucking up, if you like, but I see both sides. Sometimes it's frustrating to see a thread get moved, but if I was interested in it enough to post, I'm interested enough to follow it after it moved.
    Let's kick ass!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast