Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Things I learned at the Flow Trail today (the 100% positive Flow Trail thread!)

I rode Tamarancho on this beautiful day and rode the upper part of the Flow Trail for the fist time after putting a few days work on it - I had to myself for many laps and I realized a few things:

1. This trail is f****ing amazing! Thanks Jim, Davey, Sandor, et. al. for all of your hard work - it is a very special work of art!

2. As awesome as it is and as much fun as I had riding it (evidenced by the perma-grin ), I have no idea how to ride this trail - it is a totally different animal - how do I learn how to ride this thing? Just practice?, or do I need some instruction!?

3. I should bring my pads next time - it is too tempting to go extremely fast.

Thanks again for all the hard work! I can't wait until the whole thing is open. I'll be out there this weekend

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I hear you man. I felt like a goon when I rode it; not my style but, still very fun.

~~~
    It will be a new experience for many riders because we've never had anything like that here in the Bay Area.

I'm really diggin it!
    Practice, practice, practice.

Helpful tips:

Put your seat down.

Increase rear tire pressure.

Don't try and go fast. In other words don't force it. I know it sounds corny but "just go with the flow." Over time you will get faster and faster. Trust me. The most important part of the experience is to have fun. Once the trail is open from top to bottom it will only take 10 minutes to ride back up and do it again. If you don't get hurt you will continue to get better.

Dylan Renn lives locally and designed a few of our cooler features on the trail, like the S turn. He also teaches bike skills. He is an excellent teacher and has been working with me to get over my mental fear of gap jumps and drops. You should give him a shout:

Contact | RENNCRAFT

mtbr member
    I live in the South Bay and have never really explored any of the North Bay places to ride. I either end up at Demo or Skeggs. I've been thinking of putting together a tour of the North Bay some weekend. I'll definitely have to hit up Tamarancho.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supermachete View Post
    Stiffen up that suspension a little bit, & let'er rip!
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Increase rear tire pressure.
    Interesting - I was doing the exact opposite of these 2 pieces of advice in an attempt to make my bike as squishy and plush as I could thinking I would increase traction and absorb the landings (especially the not-so-smooth ones). I will try this approach next time.

Question about increasing rear tire pressure though:

I can see this helping with the pumping and holding speed / momentum aspect, but won't this also decrease traction when you're really digging into those berms and also increase skidding / drifting (which I'm assuming we don't want)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I don't know anything about the trail, but I can't imagine why you'd want to stiffen up the suspension and inflate the tires. I'd leave the suspension where I always have it (25-30% sag) and keep the tires as low as I could get away with before damaging the rims or burping.

What's the terrain like that makes you guys recommend these two actions?

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Interesting - I was doing the exact opposite of these 2 pieces of advice in an attempt to make my bike as squishy and plush as I could thinking I would increase traction and absorb the landings (especially the not-so-smooth ones). I will try this approach next time.

Question about increasing rear tire pressure though:

I can see this helping with the pumping and holding speed / momentum aspect, but won't this also decrease traction when you're really digging into those berms and also increase skidding / drifting (which I'm assuming we don't want)?

Thanks!
    Normally I run pretty low pressure. I've got a tubeless set up and a hard tail. So it serves at a little bit of suspension. Normally corners on the mountain bike can't be taken at great speed. Switchbacks are mostly super super tight and having a lower pressure helps soak up braking bumps, roots and rocks.

Fire roads are mostly flat and countersteering along with good traction seems to be the safest option.

The first few times down the flow trail were on my dirt jumper. We were testing out the S turn and the bike worked great through the tall berms at speed. Even with semi slick dirt jumping tires. I run the dirt jumper tires at a very high pressure so much so that it made the ride back to town pretty uncomfortable.

I tried the flow trail with my 29er and the lower pressure. It was a disaster! The rear tire has so much more force on it than normal that it started to "roll off" the rim. The sidewall was collapsing. I added about 10-15 psi and presto. The 29er performed nearly as well as the dirt jumper.

A low seat and shorter stem seems to help nearly as much.

Also I wanted to thank you for starting a positive thread about the trail. Way better than I ever did You rock bro!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i took the better ride course a few years ago, where dylan was the coach. he is an excellent teacher, and very good at conveying concepts that may be otherwise difficult to digest.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs View Post
    I don't know anything about the trail, but I can't imagine why you'd want to stiffen up the suspension and inflate the tires. I'd leave the suspension where I always have it (25-30% sag) and keep the tires as low as I could get away with before damaging the rims or burping.

What's the terrain like that makes you guys recommend these two actions?
    The entire trail is hand shaped like a pump track from top to bottom. It isn't really a trail it is a track. I hope you can check it out soon and ride it from top to bottom. It should be entirely open May 1st or even sooner.

Don't forget to buy a one day pass 5$ at Sunshine Bikes in Fairfax. Or even better buy a year pass or two year pass.

Tamarancho - Sunshine Bicycle Center

mtbr member
    Normally I run pretty low pressure. I've got a tubeless set up and a hard tail. So it serves at a little bit of suspension. Normally corners on the mountain bike can't be taken at great speed. Switchbacks are mostly super super tight and having a lower pressure helps soak up braking bumps, roots and rocks.

Fire roads are mostly flat and countersteering along with good traction seems to be the safest option.

The first few times down the flow trail were on my dirt jumper. We were testing out the S turn and the bike worked great through the tall berms at speed. Even with semi slick dirt jumping tires. I run the dirt jumper tires at a very high pressure so much so that it made the ride back to town pretty uncomfortable.

I tried the flow trail with my 29er and the lower pressure. It was a disaster! The rear tire has so much more force on it than normal that it started to "roll off" the rim. The sidewall was collapsing. I added about 10-15 psi and presto. The 29er performed nearly as well as the dirt jumper.

Also I wanted to thank you for starting a positive thread about the trail. Way better than I ever did You rock bro!
    Thanks for the reply and advice - makes sense - I'm going to try this and look into that course as well.

The inspiration to start up a thread talking about how awesome and unique this trail is came to me while I was climbing up to do another lap - I just thought with all the recent drama with Flow-gate(which needed to be addressed btw!), let's take a step back and admire what was accomplished (and hopefully I can learn how to really ride it!)

mtbr member
    Hio
    Mountain biker-turned-BMXer here. With regard to suspension: MTB suspension is always trying to do two very different things, which we can simplify by thinking of in terms of your already familiar controls.
    Low-speed compression damping - small bump and rider input. For a Pump track, BMX track, flow trail there are no bumps, and you want rider input into the ground (this is pumping). The fastest bike would be a fully rigid. Tons of LSC or lockout.

High-speed compression damping - This is your square-edge and big hit damping. No square edges on a pump track, BMX track, flow trail, but you can catch some good air or case hard trying. There are no flat landings, and if you case you are gonna bottom out, so HSC can be as high as you like here. Fully rigid BMX bikes land huge jumps to non-flat landings all day long. HSC may help your trail-bike spring rates not get overwhelmed.

Traction low but nonessential. Forward momentum is provided by gravity and pump, you should be braking very gently, and cornering in a well-shaped berm actually doesn't require a lot of traction. Certainly not the kind we think about well-tuned suspension aiding.

Tire pressure: This is smooth hard-pack. You want two things: low rolling resistance and pinch/burp protection. For many people, the way to coax these traits out of your tires is higher pressure.

Last flow trail run, I was running my typical Butcher 2.3 front tubeless at ~26 PSI and it felt normal (excellent). I had just put another 2.3 Butcher on the back (a bigger rear tire than I usually run) and even at well over 30 PSI it felt like it was going to roll off. High G-forces, man. Very different from trail riding.

Davey's advice is spot on.

mtbr member
    I'm bringing my 24.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    I'm bringing my 24.
    Dan Barnes, who hand shaped nearly the entire trail, mentioned that his 24 cruiser would be a great option.

The only problem is getting it to the trailhead

mtbr member
    flow trail = single slalom....hard tails, smaller wheels, low CG will rule, but like DS said...you still gotta pedal in

I'm really diggin it!

I will also add: don't try and force catching air. Try and pump through the features to gain speed. Catching air will come naturally after you have mastered pumping. Like Arnold:

http://youtu.be/7nZ1v96-veM

The cool thing is that once you have mastered the pump you start seeing places to gain speed without pedaling everywhere. "Pumping on the singletrack, pumping on the fire road, pumping on the climbs, it's fantastic!"

The advantage is that while pumping and gaining speed you stay really stable and you can keep your CG really low compared to pedaling. I am no expert at this. Guys like Dylan are. The track we built is a great place to practice, have fun and build skills.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO

Also I wanted to thank you for starting a positive thread about the trail. You rock bro!

Man, all this talk about more air pressure is true.
    I also had my tire pressure pretty low, and it felt like the tires were rolling off the rims in the berms.
    Pump 'em up for the Flow track is what i'm gonna do now, cause this thing is hard packed and FAST!!
    And yes all this positive talk about the Flow makes me think Tamo is about to BLOW UP!!

Things I learned at the Flow Trail today (the 100% positive Flow Trail thread!)-17975_miscellaneous_nuclear_explosion_explosion.jpg
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad

No Rep
    No Problem
    Banned For Boobies

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    ohh cant wait to try this new track with the boys...

~~~
    After moving some lumber today, we headed to the bottom to move some more dirt. Got a chance to roll/walk down the middle section... Man, it's gonna be sweet! I'm already anticipating burning quads on multiple laps.

The skills area is looking great, too.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO

For those of us working, this thread is useless without pics/vids.
    Im going out there toomorow. ; )
    Will report back with images.
    G

No Rep
    No Problem
    Banned For Boobies

I'm really diggin it!

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    For those of us working, this thread is useless without pics/vids.
    Im going out there toomorow. ; )
    Will report back with images.
    G
    Movie! Movie! Movie!

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO

Movie! Movie! Movie!
    Ok
    Sounds good Dave.
    Ill make one tomorrow.
    G

No Rep
    No Problem
    Banned For Boobies

mtbr member
    First top-to-bottom run in today.
    So good. And the woodwork we ~finished today is really rad. But the trail... just amazingly fun. Always a new challenge as your speed increases. I want to hike my DJ in badly. Go get some, people.

I'm really diggin it!

Quote Originally Posted by Snfoilhat View Post
    First top-to-bottom run in today.
    So good. And the woodwork we ~finished today is really rad. But the trail... just amazingly fun. Always a new challenge as your speed increases. I want to hike my DJ in badly. Go get some, people.
    DJ - tips

I love riding my DJ here. It took me some time to figure out the best method but after 2 months of hiking in due to cold weather I got it dialed.

Drive to the top of whites hill. Push/ride up white hill trail, porcupine trail white hill fire road, B-17 extension to flow trail. 20-30 minutes depending on how much you ride vs. hike

Please avoid driving into camp. It's even more of a PITA to get there from the very limited camp parking (which is why it is not permitted) than whites and there is this lost troop of scouts that has gone cannibal. Lord of the flies style.

Also if you push - at the bottom off the trail geared bikes go right. Push bikes go left. It is a 10-15 minute ride up Broken Dam and B-17 ext. 10 minute push up dead heifer. In short we are trying to separate XC from the DH. They can't sit in the same car together on long road trips without fighting, DH keeps calling XC a poo poo head and XC stole DH's blankie.

Obviously it would be dangerous to push back up the flow trail. And way longer. Please don't be that guy. We finally have a trail were you can scream STRAVA and be a dick and not actually upset anyone hiking or riding up because that shouldn't happen.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast