mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Is there water somewhere along FHDL?

Is there a source for water somewhere somewhere along Forrest Hill Divide Loop trail?

When I do the following 25mile loop starting at the confluence: clementine/connector/FHDL CCW/connector/fuelbreak/confluence I have to carry 7-8liters of water to keep hydrated.

When I get to the picnic table on FHDL I've gone through ~4 liters of water. Would be good if there was a source of water somewhere on FHDL starting at connector to the picnic bench. Anyone know if a source exists?

thanks,
    dehydrated trail_slayer

mtbr member

No water right on the trail.

If you were desperate you could drop down to the American River and fill up using a filter. The easiest place to do that would be that dirt road you cross on the back half of FHDL. It drops down to the upper part of Lake Clementine/NF American River. But it's a grind out and probably not worth the effort if you are really in that bad of shape water wise.
    The bridge on Connector sometimes has a stream under it, but not during the summer.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    that's a shitload of water

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rndmrdr View Post
    that's a shitload of water
    that's what i was thinking! Just curious...how are you carrying 7 - 8 liters of water with you? I think even my biggest hydration pack (an Osprey Raptor which is pretty decent size) only holders 3 liters I think. And then even if I added 2 bottles to my bike, it's still not even close to 7 - 8.

As others have said, no water sources out there in Auburn generally unless you get down and start filtering...or stash water depot along the way.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You would still need to filter... but there is a spring fed trough off of Foresthill Rd on the south side of the trail at Upper Lake Clementine. You would have to exit the trail out to FH road, go uphill a bit and look for a gate on your right. There is an old stock tank up a little ways. It's been years since I wandered over to check it out and see if it was still flowing, but I could see it was full this past winter.

I'm wondering the same as others, that's a hell of a lot of water to carry. I can go 6 hours on 3 liters and a bottle and have done well over 100 miles of remote desert riding with the amount of water you're carrying around, makes my back hurt just thinking about it.....
    Last edited by Sean Allan; 06-15-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    that's what i was thinking! Just curious...how are you carrying 7 - 8 liters of water with you? I think even my biggest hydration pack (an Osprey Raptor which is pretty decent size) only holders 3 liters I think. And then even if I added 2 bottles to my bike, it's still not even close to 7 - 8.

As others have said, no water sources out there in Auburn generally unless you get down and start filtering...or stash water depot along the way.
    I carry two 3 liter bladders and two tall water bottles in my camelback hawg. Yes it weighs a ton and yes my back does hurt by the time I get to the top of Clementine. I have to weight train to be able to handle the weight. I sweat profusely and have no choice but to drink a ton of water.

I've thought of stashing a bladder like maybe at the FHDL trail head but have not wanted to take the time to do it and have just gotten used to carrying the weight.

If I do over 25miles in Auburn I refill with water from my car parked at Confluence. I'm definitely limited in how far I can go due to water supply. I have one of those "steri-pens" but need to know where I can refill along the trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Do you use any electrolytes?

edit: that's more than 17 pounds of water

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rndmrdr View Post
    Do you use any electrolytes?
    Yes, the two water bottles are filled with electrolytes and I take a few saltstick tablets as well. Next time I may try "Vega" electrolyte in one of my bladders too.

Do you'all use electrolytes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I always use electrolytes (half strength EFS) and usually drink a liter or so before the ride and a liter or so every 15 miles. I also salt my food. That's an huge amount of water to carry and it just seems like too much.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Wow 17+ lbs of water over that distance really is a lot. There is such a thing as overhydration....mind if i ask how much you weigh? Or how long this loop takes you? I'm trying to imagine sucking that much water down in that distance as it must be non-stop drinking. How often on this loop do you have to stop to pee?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

You could park at the beginning of fdhl and then do Culvert/Clementine/connector at the end so you could stop at your 1/2way through the ride.

mtbr dismember

Danger!

Quote Originally Posted by trail_slayer View Post
    ...I have to carry 7-8 liters of water to keep hydrated...
    That's 237 - 270 oz.! Do some research, that's potentially dangerous! "...fluid intake should not routinely exceed 28 oz/hr.."
    Start here but also see the Scientific American article as well as numerous others online.

mtbr member
    Just another chiming in to say that I feel that is way too much h20 for the ride you are talking about, like way way too much. For that loop use a 70 oz. camelbak filled with plain h2o along with an h2o bottle with electrolytes and gels as needed.

At one time I would blast through a full camelbak on regular 12 mile rides. I feel that we can establish a bit of a habit of pulling off the camelbak due to it's accessibility when it is not really needed. Upon gaining this knowledge I spent some time training myself to intake h2o with a more regulated regimen meaning not overdoing the tugging at the tube. The result has been great, I am still properly hydrated, can ride longer with the water I carry and have moved away from the negatives of too much intake as Wherewolf mentioned above.

Weird huh?
    Ughh, from the boat ramp at Lexington, up Priest Rock, Dog Meat, down Kennedy, Kennedy Rd. into downtown Los Gatos, Jones Trail up and over to my Jeep parked at the boat ramp.

A water bottle. 22 oz. Sometimes I even finish it if it's hot.
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sorry, but it depends on how heavy he is. A heavier guy working at near max output in 95 degree weather will burn through water super fast (used to be me).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Do you think if you carried less water (= less weight) you wouldn't have to work as hard and would sweat less, reducing the amount of water you need to take in?

I'd imagine an extra 17lbs of weight would definitely increase your exertion.

Also, if you really sweat that much I'd suggest hydrating continuously throughout the day, every day. Not just on the days you ride or a few hours before you ride, but everyday through out the day, steadily intaking fluids.

I have a 64oz Klean Kanteen bottle that I try to at least finish once every day while at work regardless if I am going for a long ride that day or the temperature out.

Dropshot Champ!
    is one bladder filled with gin or something? That's impressive!

sounds like you might be getting diminishing returns here. 30lb camelback has to slow you way down on the climbs. You should drop an ice bottle or two at various spots (top of fdlt, top of clementine) and just ride with one bladder and see how you do.

How long are you out for on your typical loop?

+1 on starting earlier. I started a ride at 3pm last week in the heat and was running low on water quick, and definitely slower

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    +1 on starting earlier. I started a ride at 3pm last week in the heat and was running low on water quick, and definitely slower
    Time of day has a lot to do with things in Auburn this time of year. During the summer months, I won't start an Auburn ride after 7:00am. Those canyons have limited air flow through them and the air gets way too hot too fast.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Some background:
    I'm 55, weigh 210lbs @5'11''.

I've always been a heavy sweater. In highschool football I was probably taking 1.5x more salt tablets than most of the guys.

I was concerned about the heavy sweating myself a few years ago and decided to see my doc about this. My Doc is a GP and sports medicine doc. After a physical including blood tests, etc his conclusion was "you are just a heavy sweater, you have a good radiator, you are in great health and just keep yourself hydrated and doing what you are doing". I'm pretty active and in decent shape and see this as more of an inconvenience.

I'm sure if I stashed water i.e. carried only one bladder I'd work/sweat less but I just don't want to take the time to do that. I guess I'd rather just haul it and drink it but if there is a convenient place to fill up on the trail I'd love to do that and not carry all that H2O. I keep myself well hydrated before rides so I'm not starting dehydrated by any means. On the 25mile ride I truly keep hydrated with out over hydrating. I may pee once on the ride but usually not much so I'm pretty sure I'm keeping my hydration balanced.

I envy you'all that don't have this problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I run on trails a lot, but dislike carrying water when I run. One tactic I use is to drive to the mid point of the run and stash water/food behind a bush somewhere.

Maybe not ideal and it won't work on every loop, but you could stash stuff at Driver's Flat and start elsewhere on FHDL/ASRA.
    --
    Check out the Bear Yuba Land Trust trails program
    http://www.bylt.org/index.php/trails/

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by memine View Post
    I run on trails a lot, but dislike carrying water when I run. One tactic I use is to drive to the mid point of the run and stash water/food behind a bush somewhere.

Maybe not ideal and it won't work on every loop, but you could stash stuff at Driver's Flat and start elsewhere on FHDL/ASRA.
    That's a good point. At my rate of water consumption I should be able to stash one bladder in that wooded area of Connector/FHDL intersection and just hit on water bottles while I do the FHDL then pick up the bladder on my return on Connector so I don't have to be a water truck cranking through FHDL. I'll give this some thought, thanks

mtbr member
    Think of the children!!! All that extra weight is going to cause trail damage and braking bumps. Braking bumps could cause someone to crash. Someone who crashes could get hurt and miss work, causing their children to starve.

Don't be the guy who causes children to starve just because you carried extra water.

...or kittens. What if the person who crashed has kittens. How could you have that on your conscious.

mtbr member
    not sure you'd want to, but you could do your loop in reverse (kind of) and utilize the awesome neighborhood drinking fountain on russell rd ( I think its russell) in Auburn on the canyon wall.