more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

TBF MTB Chall;enge #1

Who's In?

Who's Out?

Who's a maybe?

As per my usual winter time routine, I'm a big maybe pending snow conditions/storm totals in the mountains. If I show it will be a game time decision in SS Open.

Lusus Naturae
    Can we expect a mud fest? I hear the trails drain well but with 80% chance of rain today and Friday, who knows? I do wish I lived a bit closer.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    Can we expect a mud fest? I hear the trails drain well but with 80% chance of rain today and Friday, who knows? I do wish I lived a bit closer.
    yeah maybe who knows. It rained a bit before the Kickstart race 2 weeks ago, but I still wouldn't classify that race as a mud fest. A few puddles here and there and maybe one larger puddle..but not a mud fest by any means. I guess we'll have to see.

Busted!!!
    Weve got 3 coming down for sunday. 2 in SS and 1 Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance

Its gotta be raining pretty hard DURING the race for it to be a mud fest. Even then, it doesn't get real muddy. The decomposed granite sand just sticks to everything. Grinds brake pads, rotors, chains and chain rings down to nothing real quick.

If we get decent weather on Saturday and Sunday morning, track conditions should be perfect!

I'll be there. Just look for the Arrogant Bastard.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

feeling squirrelly
    I maybe will maybe probably be there heckiling. Does that make in or out or just there?

mtbr member
    I will be there rain or shine.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Yeah well I guess I'll take the Mary out for a spin,, is this a race??

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badjenny
    Does that make in or out or just there?
    somehow subconciously you just reminded me that the new In-and-Out Burger up the street from me is now open

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cant miss a chance for fresh powder on the snowboard. There have been so few this year and last year.

I know, where are my priorities............................ race, board, race, board, race, board, I dont know
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Urban Ninja
    Face shots Saturday and a maybe for Sunday race. I might just go out and jeer my friend Duane on.
    For Sale: EPIC

Send it!

www.rayscyclebicycles.com

feeling squirrelly
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng
    Face shots Saturday and a maybe for Sunday race. I might just go out and jeer my friend Duane on.
    In$ane is racing? Awesome. I am definitely going out to cheer/heckle.

feeling squirrelly
    Here are just a few pics from the race today of the MTBR folks I recognized...

Darth Tracer

Zon

Tyrone Shoelaces... one armed bandit

Once upon a time there was a lake here

My best friend's little girl. She has a fast set of parents and should be shredding Downieville in about 10 years.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by badjenny

Tyrone Shoelaces... one armed bandit
    I would like to say i was so fast today that articles of clothing were just melting off of me , but unfortunately, that one arm warmer never even made it out of my driveway in the morning. I came back home and there it was

Super fun race today! G'damn those trails were velcro.

Interesting situation in Single Speed class. After 1.5 laps, there was a group of 5 us that had broken away from the main pack and we were all pretty much wheel-to-wheel from the top of the bench and nearly all the way out to Doton's for the second time, but on one of the little rocky/techy sections on the way to Doton's, all of a sudden the guy was in the lead at that particular time (can't recall who exactly it was at the moment) slammed on his brakes and came to a dead stop because off the trail was a little boy (very young, 10 yo maybe?) crashed on the side of the trail and crying his eyes out, holding his shoulder, yelling for his parents, etc. etc.... So we all stopped to see if he was ok. I think in this group was myself, Galen S., Harley C., Zol W., and Marty C. We all knew now was not the time to race and we needed to see if this kid was ok. After a minute or so of yelling for a volunteer or course marshall or something a few of the guys went to get help as Marty consoled the kid. while this was going on a few other geared riders and SS riders had gone on past us at this point. After a few minutes Marty basically told us all to go on and he'd stay with the kid until a volunteer or marshal arrived. I was able to catch two of the SS riders that had passed us while we were stopped, but could never catch back up to the lead 3.

Regardless, I thought it was super cool of all the guys in the lead pack to suspend their race for a few minutes to make sure this was ok and getting taken care of. I'll be proud to race against you guys again anytime 'cause you're all class acts.

And double thumbs up to Marty Cunningham for staying back the whole time and sacrificing his entire race. The TBF organizers caught wind of everything and rewarded him with a free entry into the next race that he chooses. Super cool.

mtbr member

Thanks Jenny for the photo

Good job to everyone that was out there today. It was ridiculously fast out there. It is only February and everyone is racing in midseason form. Jenny thanks for the photo and the support, also great job Tyrone on your good samaritan act and then chasing down those in front of you for a very good placing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Great Race!! TBF puts on great events! But as usual their were some sandbaggers! Specially in the Sport class! When you beat 2nd place by almost 10 minutes, move up to Expert!!! If you want to be dishonest than run for Congress!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 12to29
    If you want to be dishonest than run for Congress!

HAHHAAH I like that.

mtbr member
    OK, who paid the kid to distract Tyrone from the podium?

class act by all who stopped. Sad I missed the race, I gotta get to a TBF someday.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 12to29
    If you want to be dishonest than run for Congress!
    And if you want a cabinet position, make sure to cheat on your taxes and say "I didn't know"
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    So we all stopped to see if he was ok.
    Good story and response. No podium is worth knowing you left someone behind hurting. One of God's little tests, I think you passed
    For Sale: EPIC

Send it!

www.rayscyclebicycles.com

mtbr member
    Wow, that is some story. I've always wondered if I would do the right thing and stop in a race, that would tuff to do,Kudos BTW, Galen S is a friend and one of my Teammates, glad I'm not racing against him.
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Great race and great example of "The Good Samaritan". Hope the youngster is doing well and wears any scars obtained racing with pride, and if he is able, to get back on that horse and race in 2 weeks!

And way to go Suzanne (my amazing fiancee) for the podium finish in your first ever Sport class race!!

Kudos to Bill and the TBF crew for putting on another fantastic event and ordering up no rain! Cya in 2.
    Last edited by zon; 02-09-2009 at 07:22 PM.